This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Nutella Crumble Cake Bars are 4 ingredient recipe full of cake flavor and chocolate hazelnut spread. The perfect cookie bar that taste like cake – you’re going to love these.
Table of Contents
Nutella Crumble Cake Bars Recipe
A batch of these Nutella crumble cake bars are just as simple as they are delicious (and they’re delicious, alright!). The texture of light, crumbly cake and the taste of smooth, rich Nutella combine to create a treat with lots of flavor that won’t weigh you down. Perfect for sharing over a coffee, indulging in after dinner, or sneaking a nibble of as a midnight snack.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
With only four simple ingredients, this recipe comes together quickly and easily. For a treat as delicious as these Nutella crumble cake bars, it doesn’t get much better than that! This is the perfect recipe for beginner bakers, busy moms, or anyone that can’t stay in the kitchen for hours but needs to whip up a delicious dessert.
Ingredients in Cake Mix Bars
- Cake mix – I used yellow cake mix but you really could use any flavor.
- Butter – unsalted, softened butter
- Nutella – or other chocolate spread
How to Make Nutella Cake Bars
- Preheat oven: Using aluminum foil and cooking spray, line, and grease a 9×9 pan. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Make the dough: In a mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, and egg with a hand or stand mixer. Continue beating until the dough becomes stiff.
- Assemble: Once the dough is finished, press approximately ½ to ⅔ of your dough into the bottom of your 9×9 pan. This will create the bottom layer of your cake bars! Spread Nutella evenly over this bottom layer, just shy of the edges by about ¼ inch. Use the remaining dough to create the top layer of your bars, covering the edges.
- Bake: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You’ll know your bars are done when the edges begin to brown. Allow the bars to cool completely before removing or slicing them.
- If you’re using a hand mixer to beat together the dough, it will take you longer to achieve the firm consistency you’ll need than it would with a stand mixer.
- Nutella is my favorite, but feel free to use any chocolate hazelnut spread you like!
Yes, you can double this recipe.
Yes, you can freeze cake bars for up to one month.
Of course! You can use any cake mix flavor you like.
Nutella Crumble Cookie Bars
- 1 15-16 ounce box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, butter, and egg with a hand or a stand mixer until a stiff dough forms. (If you’re using a hand mixer this will take awhile.) Press about 1/2-2/3 of the dough in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread Nutella all over the crust layer, avoiding about 1/4” around the edges. Sprinkle and spread bits of the remaining dough over the top of the Nutella, being sure to cover the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is just starting to get golden around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Use any flavor cake mix you like
- If the batter sticks to your hand, spray them with cooking spray
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Other Cake Mix Favorites
Last Updated on February 28, 2023
May I know exact quantity of the ingredients? This recipe sounds interesting
Just pulled these out of the oven (first time making them) and my kitchen smells amazing! The most difficult part of this for me is “waiting until cooled completely” before taking out and cutting. If I did not know the pan would melt the plastic shelves in my freeze or think that the integrity of the bars would suffer going directly from oven to freezer, I would totally do that to get these in my face faster!
I did the same thing! Hope you like them!
I made this to take to a party, it was a success and it’s a tough group. The plate was empty! I’ll definitely use this recipe again, thank you!
So glad you enjoyed them!
I don’t have a sweet tooth but these Nutella Crumble Cake Bars look too great, thanks Dorothy for sharing
Very delicious. Keep up the good work.THANKS
Girl, you had me at Nutella… and then again when I saw there were just FOUR ingredients in this yummy recipe!
I made the Nutella Crumble recipe tonight in preparation for a friend’s birthday. I gave my parents samples once the bars cooled and got rave reviews (they asked for seconds and thirds). I was a tad hesitant about trying the recipe because I’ve never baked using Nutella before, but it was an instant success. hey ended up comin gout fluffier and altogether better than I was anticipating. Preparing the bars was super quick and easy too — perfect for a busy night that begs for baking something. The cooking time took a bit longer in my oven (closer to forty minutes than 20-25), but that could be because I have an older oven. I’m excited for my friends to try these tomorrow. Thank you for he recipe!
I’m glad you enjoyed them!!
Gahhh these look amazing! I just love Nutella so much <3
girl, these bars are flippin genius! I do crave the traditional birthday cake but have zero desire to make a layer cake!! But, let me tell you, anything with Nutella that comes together in 15 minutes is going to be a problem! Hope you are doing well! xoxo
I get my sweet tooth from my dad. . my mom doesn’t like sweets. . I don’t even understand. . 😛 LOVE these cake bars!!! and only 4 ingredient?! LOVE!!!