Nutella Crumble Cake Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Today I made you Nutella Crumble Cake Bars: an easy 4 ingredient recipe that starts with cake mix and is filled with gooey chocolate!
Are you ready for some easy cake bars? I sure am.
Tomorrow is my mom’s birthday (happy birthday mom!) and I always look forward to making her birthday treats. My mom is the best guinea pig; she’ll eat any dessert I make her! Over the years I’ve made her Turtle Brownies and a Turtle Cake Roll, and last year I made a Snickers Poke Cake. Do you see any themes running through those? My mom LOVES chocolate. She’s a certified chocoholic.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
This year, instead of an elaborate cake or single flavor of cookie or brownie, I decided to make my mom a checkerboard of dessert. I put together a pan, checkerboard style, of some of my favorite brownies and bars: Oreo Truffle Brownies, Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies, Oatmeal Scotchie Cheesecake Bars, and these Nutella Crumb Cake Bars.
Favorite. Birthday Dessert. Yet.
These Nutella Crumble Cake Bars could not be easier to make. They only have 4 ingredients: cake mix, butter, egg, and Nutella. That’s it!
The Nutella stays gooey and gives the bars a super rich chocolatey taste, but they still taste like birthday cake too. Do you ever crave the “traditional” birthday cake? You know, yellow cake with chocolate frosting? These bars are like that, but in cookie bar form. #priceless
Plus, these Nutella Crumble Cake Bars come together in about 15 minutes. You can’t get much better than that!
How to Make Nutella Crumble Cake Bars
Soft, crunchy, chewy, and chocolatey. Those are the hallmarks of every good dessert, if you ask me!
A few recipe notes:
- You can use any brand yellow cake mix.
- You don’t have to use Nutella. Use any brand chocolate hazelnut spread or any chocolate spread!
- When you’re mixing these, the dough comes together and is very stiff. If you’re using a hand mixer it might take awhile to get to that point.
Nutella Crumble Cake Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter — softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, butter, and egg with a hand or a stand mixer until a stiff dough forms. (If you’re using a hand mixer this will take awhile.) Press about 1/2-2/3 of the dough in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread Nutella all over the crust layer, avoiding about 1/4” around the edges. Sprinkle and spread bits of the remaining dough over the top of the Nutella, being sure to cover the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is just starting to get golden around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.