This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
My Garlic Butter Chicken is an easy 30 minute meal made with fresh vegetables! It’s such and easy one pot skillet meal done in no time at all. Our entire family absolutely LOVED this meal.
Table of Contents
Why We Loved Garlic Butter Chicken
- Only 30 minutes including prep time!
- SO much flavor thanks to the butter and garlic
- Perfect alone OR with a side dish
- Such an easy chicken and vegetables recipe!
- Even my picky teenager ate every bite!
If you’re looking for a new easy dinner recipe, try this one – you won’t be sorry!
- Chicken: we prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts, which I cut into bite sized pieces. You could also use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Butter: I prefer cooking with salted butter – be sure and use the best tasting (Challenge is my favorite!)
- Vegetables: you can use whatever you like but onion, pepper, and broccoli were a hit
- Garlic: because, garlic chicken! I used 6 cloves but you can use less if you want.
- Chicken Stock: this makes the delicious sauce.
- Spices: I usd onion and garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
Best Butter for Cooking
While I use unsalted butter in all my baking recipes, I prefer using salted butter in cooking. I always use Challenge Butter because we prefer the flavor of it the most!
I’ve been cooking and baking with, and eating, Challenge Dairy products since I was a kid: Challenge Butter is the ONLY one my parents still buy to this day. Challenge Butter is churned fresh daily from happy cows at over 400 California family-owned dairies. It’s farm to fridge in just 2 days with no hormones, additives or fillers. When you want the BEST butter: use Challenge Butter!
How to Make Garlic Butter Chicken
- Prep: dice your chicken bite sized, cut your vegetables.
- Season: season your chicken wit the mix of spices.
- Cook Chicken Bites: Cook the chicken in melted butter until they’re cooked through, then remove them.
- Add Vegetables: add more butter to the pan, cook the onion and pepper, then the garlic, until they’re nice and golden.
- Stock: add the stock and broccoli and cover, cooking for 2 minutes. Remove the cover and let the stock boil.
- Sauce: to make the sauce, move the vegetables to the outer edge of the pan so they don’t over cook and let the stock reduced for about 5 minutes. Add a bit of butter to finish the sauce. Then add the chicken back in to warm and serve!
Tip From Dorothy
- Don’t like broccoli? Use green beans instead or any vegetable you like.
- Keep the vegetables from overcooking: Be sure to push them to the sides of your pan. If you’re using a smaller pan (my skillet is about 14-inches) then remove them while you cook the sauce.
- Why do you boil the chicken stock? Can I use regular chicken stock? Boiling the stock reduces it to a flavorful thicker sauce, which is absolutely delicious finished with butter. I prefer using low-sodium stock because the butter adds salt, and when you reduce the stock it concentrates the flavor.
No – make garlic chicken thighs or tenders!
Just make sure not to overcook it. My tip is to use an instant read thermometer so you know when it’s done.
It’s done when it’s no longer pink, or when it registers 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
Garlic Butter Chicken and Vegetable Skillet
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , diced bite size
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tablespoons Challenge Butter divided
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 11-12 ounces broccoli florets
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Place diced chicken in a medium size bowl. Add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and thyme. Toss to coat.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons Challenge butter in preheated skillet then add chicken. Cook, turning once or twice, until cooked through (should register 165°F on an instant read thermometer). Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add an additional tablespoon butter to the pan, then add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes or until they start to brown, then add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring it to a boil, then add the broccoli and cover for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and push the vegetables to the side/outer edges of the pan to reduce the cooking while you let the chicken stock simmer until it reduces by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon butter, then add the chicken back to the skillet along with any juices accumulated on the plate. Toss to coat the chicken in the sauce and rewarm, add additional salt and pepper as desired, and serve hot.
Garlic Butter Chicken and Vegetables is an easy 30 minute meal! This skillet meal is an easy dinner and has so much flavor thanks to the garlic and butter! We LOVED this meal.
This post was sponsored by Challenge Dairy in 2021, but all opinions are my own. Challenge Butter is my go-to and upped the flavor in this dish!
Last Updated on April 25, 2023