Mexican Breakfast Burritos are semi-homemade breakfast burritos, starting with a Jimmy Dean® Breakfast Bowl. I added vegetables and Mexican flavors, making this easy recipe the PERFECT breakfast anytime, but especially for busy school mornings. Thank you to Dollar General for sponsoring this post.
Have you guys seen that back-to-school stuff is already in stores? It’s only mid-July and all of a sudden I’m thinking about all the things Jordan will need for middle school, which means I’m sweating at how much I’m going to be spending. This year, besides school supplies, she’s on the dance team and has to buy stuff for 6 different classes…including PE uniforms. My pocketbook is already scared!
Once the initial shock of school shopping passes, then I start thinking about meals. What am I going to feed her to keep her full in the morning? What will she want in her lunch? What can I make for quick and easy dinners after all the practices and performances? It gets overwhelming, especially breakfast.
Jordan is a cereal girl, but I am always striving to get more protein in her. This year they eat lunch later and have less time for snacks throughout the morning, so I’m going to really have to up my breakfast game. You all know how much I hate making breakfast in the morning – I’m strictly a pourer or reheater in the morning. I have no patience for actually cooking, which is why these EASY Mexican Breakfast Burritos are the perfect breakfast for back-to-school. You can make them ahead of time and just reheat them to eat and they’re good for on-the-go (perfect now that Jordan sleeps in and getting her up for school is going to be a bear).
We love breakfast burritos!!
Breakfast burritos are a fabulous breakfast choice: they’re easy to make ahead and they can also be a freezer meal. These Mexican Breakfast Burritos have a little bit of everything in them: eggs, cheese, sausage, potatoes, as well as salsa, peppers, onions, and cilantro.
These Mexican breakfast burritos are even easier to make then normal breakfast burritos, because there’s almost no prep.
I simply sautéed some peppers and onions and then added them to a Jimmy Dean® Breakfast Bowl. I’m kind of a genius because I thought to do this, I gotta say. We love all the Jimmy Dean® products (especially the sausage), but Jordan would never finish one breakfast bowl herself. I was able to make one bowl stretch to two breakfast burritos by adding some fresh veggies, so I stretched a dollar in the process.
I found my sausage bowls at Dollar General. Have you ever been to that store? They have great deals and they sell lots of frozen food too, like Jimmy Dean® breakfast sandwiches and bowls, as well as Tyson® Chicken. When it’s back-to-school time we all need easy and affordable meals that won’t break the bank and will provide a good source of protein. That’s where these breakfast burritos come in, and I can’t wait to make chicken roll-ups, salad, and pasta with the Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips I found at Dollar General. Just look in the freezer section for all your favorites! (Check out the giveaway below – I’m giving away a gift card!)
I made four of these the day I created this recipe, and we ate two. Then I put them in the refrigerator and microwaved them the next day for lunch. Next time I make these I’m going to turn them into freezer burritos.
Tips for creating the best Mexican breakfast burritos:
- Heat the Jimmy Dean® Breakfast Bowls, then stir them well and let them cool about 30 seconds so you can handle them easier.
- You can make the peppers and onion the day before, just keep them in the refrigerator and reheat them when you’re ready to make the burritos.
- The better quality the tortilla, the less likely you’ll they’ll rip. But don’t use one that’s too thick either.
- For easier rolling, don’t over fill the tortilla. Place the filling to one side and scoop it under the flap as you roll.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to one month.
Don’t forget to #savetheschoolday with Jimmy Dean®, Tyson®, and Dollar General. And enter the contest below the recipe!
Easy Mexican Breakfast Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls Meat Lovers, Sausage or Bacon flavor
- 4-6 soft taco sized tortillas
- Salsa to taste
- Cilantro to taste
- Cook peppers and onion in olive oil until soft, 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat. (This can be done up to 2 days in advance. Store them in the refrigerator and reheat as needed.)
- While the peppers cook, heat both Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls according to package directions.
- Assemble burritos: Top each tortilla with half of a breakfast bowl, then add 1/4 of the pepper mixture, and salsa and cilantro to taste. Fold in both ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
- Eat immediately while warm, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours, reheating before eating.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson & Jimmy Dean. The opinions and text are all mine.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: July 19, 2017