This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This quick Jello Pie is one of the easiest pies ever! I use cherry jello combined with whipped topping and chocolate chips for this version, but it’s so versatile that you can use any jello flavor you like. It’s an easy pie recipe the whole family will love – the perfect easy dessert for a warm day!
Table of Contents
Easy Cherry Jello Pie Recipe
I love no bake dessert recipes, and it doesn’t get any easier than no bake jello pie! In this case, we’re talking cherry jello pie – it’s made with simple ingredients and is the perfect dessert for summer entertaining.
This delicious pie is exactly what it sounds like – a no bake pie made with jello! I love baking hacks and this no bake pie is my favorite way to use jello (besides Strawberry Pretzel Salad, that is). With just a couple of ingredients, it makes a great no bake pie filling.
The jello is mixed with Cool Whip for a cool creamy filling with a pretty pastel color. Add a chocolate cookie crust, and you get an easy dessert. Plus, you can make this no bake jello pie recipe ahead!
I pair it with an Oreo crust, but it’s excellent with a premade graham cracker pie crust, too. I love to serve it with Cool Whip on top with a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
The best part is you don’t have to use cherry jello – any flavor jello will work. It’s such a good recipe – you can make strawberry jello pie with strawberry jello mix and garnish it with fresh strawberries.
Jello Pie Ingredients
Jell-o: We’re using cherry today but you can use ANY flavor.
Water: You’ll need both ice water and boiling water to make this pie.
Ice cubes: Helps to cool the gelatin.
Cool Whip: Is the creamy part of the pie – use your favorite kind.
Mini chocolate chips: Optional but I love the combination!
Crust: Use an Oreo pie crust (my recipe or store bought) or you can use any kind of crust.
How do you make jello pie?
- Pour the jello mix into a large mixing bowl. Boil 2/3 cup water in a saucepan on the stove, and then pour the boiling water over the jello mix. Stir for two minutes or until the mix is completely dissolved. Fill a measuring cup with water and then add enough ice cubes, so the amount totals one cup. Pour the ice water over the jello mixture in the large bowl and stir until it thickens. Once it’s thick, remove any pieces of ice that haven’t melted.
- Whisk the Cool Whip into the jello mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour the pie filling into the prepared pie shell and chill the pie for at least four hours or until the filling is firm. For the best results, refrigerate it overnight.
Here are a few other ideas with different flavors of jello – the possibilities are endless!
- Key lime pie but as a lime jello pie instead – this is also great for St. Patrick’s day themed party! I like to garnish with whipped cream and thin slices of key limes for decoration.
- Orange jello or lemon jello pie with fresh fruit on top is great if you love citrus.
- Blue raspberry jello pie is another one I love.
- No bake strawberry pie with strawberry jello!
- You can omit the chocolate chips and garnish your pie with whipped topping and maraschino cherries instead. I also like other fruit like sliced strawberries for a fresh flavor.
- You can top the pie with Cool Whip or whipped cream made with heavy cream. Just beat it until it holds high peaks, and then use it as a topping.
- Another favorite pro tip: Try other toppings like crushed Oreos or graham crackers – they add a nice crunchy texture. I like to crush them in my food processor to make fine crumbs.
- You can use different crusts, too, like your own graham cracker crust recipe or shortbread crust.
Cover the jello pie with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator. It should not be stored at room temperature.
No, jello pie does not freeze well.
Jello pie is basically a gelatin pie, so be sure to use boiling water first and stir for two minutes. The powdered gelatin mixture should be completely dissolved. This allows the gelatin to work correctly, which is crucial for the pie to set. Also, the pie needs to be refrigerated before serving. Four hours should be enough but chill the pie overnight for best results.
More No Bake Desserts to Love
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Cherry Jello Pie Recipe
- 1 3oz Package Cherry Jello Mix or any flavor
- ⅔ Cup (158ml) Boiling Water
- ½ cup (118ml) cold water
- Ice Cubes
- 1 8oz Container of Cool Whip
- ½ Cup (85g) Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 (6oz) Oreo Pie Crust
- Place jello in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan bring 2/3 cup water to a boil. Add boiling water to gelatin and stir until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Fill measuring cup with cold water and add enough ice cubes to make it 1 cup of water and ice.
- Pour ice water over Jello mixture and stir until it starts to thicken.
- Remove any extra pieces of ice that have not melted.
- Whisk Cool Whip into Jello until smooth.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into Oreo crust.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours or until firm.
- Serve cold with a dollop of whipped cream and extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- I do not recommend freezing this pie. The texture changes when it defrosts and becomes watery.
This Cherry Jello Pie is an easy no-bake dessert that’s perfect for a summer warm day!