This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Caramel Chex Mix is a twist on the classic party snack with peanuts and M&Ms tossed with caramel-coated cereal. This caramel snack mix is so good that you might want to make a double batch!
Table of Contents
Easy Caramel Chex Mix Recipe
I love a great Chex mix, and this caramel Chex mix recipe takes the original to a whole new caramel level!
It’s just as easy to make as a classic Chex mix recipe but is sweetened with an easy caramel coating, and every bite has peanuts and M&Ms. It’s so good I call it caramel Chex mix crack!
Once you try it, you’ll see. Make a batch and watch it disappear – no one can resist it.
You don’t need a ton of ingredients for this Chex mix snack mix and you might already have some of the ingredients in your pantry.
We’re making an easy caramel with brown sugar and light corn syrup. It’s fool-proof!
What I love best is that you can switch up this recipe with all kinds of mix-ins – it’s super versatile.
You can make it ahead, too! It keeps well at room temperature for several days. So, if you have a party or get-together planned, make a day in advance to save some time.
Ingredients in Caramel Chex Mix
- Chex Cereal: Use your favorite kind. Rice Chex is my favorite!
- Light Corn Syrup: There is no substitute for this. Karo is the brand I use.
- Salt: To cut the sweetness.
- Brown Sugar: Be sure to pack it. You can use light or dark.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter work.
- Baking soda: Creates a chemical reaction with the corn syrup and sugar, creating a softer caramel texture.
- Mix-Ins: Peanuts and M&Ms are my favorites but you can add anything you like!
How to make Caramel Chex Mix
- Combine the corn syrup, salt, brown sugar, and butter in a saucepan. Heat the mixture over medium heat while stirring. Bring it to a boil for about a minute, and then take the pan off the heat.
- Add the baking soda while stirring and once it’s combined, pour the caramel sauce over Chex Cereal.
- Stir to combine carefully.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Then divide the Chex caramel mix between the two baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the M&Ms over the top and let the Chex mix with caramel cool to room temperature.
- Once it’s cool, break it into small chunks, and it’s ready to store or serve!
If you’re like me, you’re already thinking about all the other things you can add to this easy snack mix! Here are a few of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Use any flavor of M&Ms – there are tons of choices!
- Swap the M&Ms for Reese’s pieces.
- Any nuts will work – almonds, walnuts, and pecans are all good ones to try.
- Add some chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or other baking chips you like.
- Pretzels are always great.
- Or, mix in some raisins!
If the caramel is chewy, you might not have boiled it long enough. Once it comes to a boil, you need to cook it for one minute.
Sorry, there isn’t a sub for corn syrup!
Once the snack mix is cool, transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep well for up to three days at room temperature.
freezes and then thaws, it will be soft and not so great. So, plan to enjoy your Chex caramel mix within a few days.
The baking soda creates a chemical reaction with the sugar and butter, creating small air bubbles and results in a softer caramel coating for your popcorn or Chex mix.
If you’ve been looking for a new easy snack to try, you have to give this Chex mix caramel snack a try! It’s so easy and so good that it will be your new go-to easy recipe. Enjoy!
More Easy Homemade Snacks
Caramel Chex Mix Recipe
- 12 ounce box Chex Cereal (corn or rice)
- ½ cup (118ml) light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (400g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted or salted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (134g) peanuts
- 1 cup (210g) M&Ms
- Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place Chex cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add corn syrup, brown sugar and salt and stir to combine. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often, until it boils. Once it comes to a full boil, boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda while stirring.
- Pour caramel mixture over top of cereal. Stir until cereal is completely coated. (Or pour the cereal into the large pot and stir.)
- Stir in peanuts.
- Spread caramel-covered cereal out between the two lined baking sheets. Sprinkle M&Ms over top.
- Allow to cool.
- Break into small chunks and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Caramel Chex Mix is such a good snack, you might think twice before making the original version ever again! Make a batch and watch it disappear – no one can resist it.
Last Updated on November 17, 2022