Mar 02

Thin Mint Truffle Brownies

Caution: Thin Mints were harmed in the making of these brownies.

It’s a hard reality, but sometimes you just gotta crush up those cookies to make something even more wonderful: Thin Mint Truffle Brownies.

Thin Mint Truffle Brownies | crazyforcrust.com | Thin Mint Truffles on top of brownies: the best combo ever!

So, I’m having a teeny tiny Girl Scout Cookie obsession right now. Is that a problem? No? Good.

A few years ago, I made these Oreo Truffle Brownies. I love Oreo Truffles, but I hate making them. All that rolling. All that dipping.

One day I said to myself, “why not top brownies with that truffle mixture?” And I did.

And it was awesome.

It was followed soon after by Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies. And, more recently, by Oreo Truffle Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. When I started seeing the Girl Scout Cookies in my Pinterest feed I started thinking.

Thin Mint Truffle Brownies? And then I realized that, yes, they would be perfect.

And they are!

These are pretty much too easy to make (and eat). You do have to crush up some Thin Mint Cookies (two whole boxes), but it’s worth the $$.

{However, if you don’t want to grind $8 (or $10 if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, apparently), you can substitute Keebler Grasshopper Cookies. They’re just as good and about 1/2 the price.}

Cookie truffles are made by grinding the cookies with cream cheese. Every cookie needs a different amount of cream cheese, so you’ll use a different amount with Oreos than you’ll do with Thin Mints. I used low-fat cream cheese for these brownies (as I do for most recipes). You can also use regular cream cheese.

When it comes to brownies, this is my favorite recipe. I’ve made it a million times, a million ways. However, if you can keep a secret…these are made with a box. You can use your favorite brownie recipe or your favorite box for these. Just make sure they’re completely cooled before putting the truffle mixture on top. Otherwise, it’ll rip up the brownie while you’re trying to press it on evenly.

The truffle mixture is very thin. I did this for two reasons: 1) Two boxes of murdered Thin Mints is enough and 2) Thin Mints have a strong mint flavor and the thin layer adds the perfect amount to the brownies.

Then, no truffles are complete without a coat of chocolate. You melt some chocolate chips and spread it all over the top.

Then? You get a fork and you attack the pan. Er, you cut them and serve them to your guests.

In a perfect world, my guests would be me, myself, and I.

It’s hard for me to say that these are the BEST Thin Mint recipe ever because Thursday’s post was pretty darn good.

But they’re tied. For sure. And they’re the BEST Truffle Brownies ever. That? I know for sure!

Thin Mint Truffle Brownies

Yield: 24 brownies

Thin Mint Truffle Brownies

• 1 9x13” pan of brownies, baked and cooled (from a box mix or scratch; this is my favorite recipe, minus the frosting)
  • 52 Thin Mint Cookies or Keebler Grasshoppers (from two boxes)
  • 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
  • 2 cups chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
  • 1 tablespoon Crisco

1. Place Thin Mints or Keebler Grasshopper Cookies in a food processor with the cream cheese and process until the mixture starts to form a ball. Alternately, you can crush the cookies in a bag without a food processor and then work in the cream cheese with a hand mixer and your hands until it comes together.
  2. Crumble the mixture over the cooled brownies. Press to entirely cover. It will seem like there’s not enough, but there is. Just keep pressing (but gently, so you don’t rip the brownies).
  3. Melt the chocolate chips and Crisco in a medium bowl on HIGH in 30 second increments, stirring between each. (It will take about 1 1/2 minutes to become smooth.) Pour over truffle mixture and spread evenly. Chill until set.
  4. Let the brownies sit at room temperature at least 20 minutes before slicing into squares. Store in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to one month.

Oreo Truffle Brownies

oreo truffle brownies

Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies

nutter butter truffle brownies

Brownie Mud Hen Bars

brownie mud hen bars

Thin Mint Truffle Bark by Wine & Glue
Grasshopper Brownies by Bakeaholic Mama
Thin Mint Stuffed Oreos by Something Swanky

45 Responses to “Thin Mint Truffle Brownies”

1. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on March 2, 2014 at 7:27 am (#)

Just stop it! I want to dive face first into a plate of these brownies. I know that isn’t very ladylike of me but I just don’t care!

2. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on March 2, 2014 at 8:57 am (#)

Warning: These will not last a day in my house!! These brownies are just just just the best!

3. Mary Frances posted on March 2, 2014 at 10:15 am (#)

Caution: I don’t think I can handle staring at my screen any longer. Cream cheese and Girl Scout cookies will become staples in my pantry from this day out!

4. Emily @ Life on Food posted on March 2, 2014 at 10:39 am (#)

I don’t know where the girl scouts are this year in Connecticut but I haven’t seen any. I am going through withdrawal.

5. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on March 2, 2014 at 12:12 pm (#)

Haha! Love your opening phrase! Okay totally worth crushing up thin mints for these brownies! They look amazing. Also, gorgeous photo with the fork! Pinned :)

6. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on March 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm (#)

There are no words for these, Dorothy. All I know is that I want to stuff my face with these rich brownies. Pinned and shared!

7. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on March 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm (#)

Yes, definitely worth crushing up those mint cookies for!!! Love these fun truffle brownies!!!

8. Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking posted on March 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm (#)

Oh man I would soooooo devour these with a fork right out of the pan. I am a huge fan of the Keebler imitation Girl Scout cookies.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Fork to pan. The best way to eat anything!

9. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on March 2, 2014 at 1:21 pm (#)

Um. These are ridonk. I would make these in secret so I could eat the whole pan myself :) Pinned!

10. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm (#)

Love the images and how dark and dense and fudgy & rich these babies look! Pinned of course!

11. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on March 2, 2014 at 2:14 pm (#)

I can hear the thin mints screaming… just kidding. These look fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

LOL, me too. Like lobsters, only worse. ;)

12. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on March 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm (#)

GENIUS to grind up the thin mints! and I think these might be my favorite truffle brownies!!! The mint just goes so well with the entire thiiiing. YUM

13. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on March 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm (#)

Oh. My. Gosh. These are absolutely irresistible. Which is bad news because today is day 1 of a gluten free test I’m doing for myself. Sooooo, that might need to end ASAP so I can make and eat these beauties. Absolutely DELICIOUS. Mmm. Awesome recipe, Dorothy. Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Well…gluten free brownies maybe? They need to make gluten-free Thin mints!

14. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on March 2, 2014 at 4:16 pm (#)

These sound fabulous! Just found a box of thin mints in my hubby’s car that I could make good use out of!!

15. Amber @ Little Ella Bug Jewelry posted on March 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm (#)

My mouth is watering like Pavlov’s dogs. Yummy! Thank you for sharing. I cannot wait to try these out.

16. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on March 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm (#)

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!! I Want these so freaking bad, seriously!! What a genius idea!! With a scoop of ice cream, heaven!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Oh yes. Ice cream. THIN MINT ICE CREAM.

17. Tieghan posted on March 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm (#)

These looks so fudey, dark and just amazing. I need to get on the thin min train!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Yes you do! Best train ever. :)

18. Amy posted on March 2, 2014 at 10:35 pm (#)

You are on a roll!!! So much Thin Mint goodness… But I have to admit, these brownies just might eke out your s’mores by a teensy tiny bit in my world. You managed to combine my two favorite chocolate desserts — brownies and truffles — into one dessert, AND add in cookies too. Amazing. :) And since when does the Bay Area charge an arm and a leg more than other parts of the world for Girl Scout Cookies?? Seriously brilliant tip about the faux Keebler ones… And those are available all year round too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Right? It’s ridiculous. And I think that truffle + brownie is the BEST THING EVER.

• Amy replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:56 pm

What if… You did the reverse? Brownie-stuffed truffles??

19. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on March 3, 2014 at 9:15 am (#)

There’s no way I could resist these perfectly decadent brownies! Definitely worth crushing thin mints!

20. Better With Sugar posted on March 3, 2014 at 10:02 am (#)

I love anything chocolate & mint, and these look fabulous!!

21. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on March 3, 2014 at 12:22 pm (#)

I’m in love! These brownies are definitely the way to go instead of the balls. And they looks so perfectly chocolatey! I want to attack the pan with you.

22. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on March 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm (#)

Heck yeah! These are some serious brownies! Chocolate and mint is pretty much my favorite thing right now. LOVE!

23. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on March 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm (#)

Haha. Love your disclaimer : Thin Mints WERE harmed. Totally cute. These brownies are seriously fudgy looking, and that makes me seriously drooling.

24. CakePants posted on March 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm (#)

Ohhhh wow these look so good! I actually don’t really like thin mints on their own (is that cookie blasphemy?), but I love them incorporated into other desserts. I think a whole lot more thin mints are about to be harmed…

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I like them, but I don’t like them because I can eat a whole box during one episode of Housewives. Er, not that I’d know or anything…

25. Pingback: Mini Samoa Pies - Crazy for Crust

26. Rina Patel posted on March 4, 2014 at 3:50 am (#)

In first look its amazing and delicious recipe ever seen, it takes more calories , , you should also make with low calorie sugar and natural sweeteners to some person, you can use lowkal sachet or lowkal cubes.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 4th, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m not sure how low-calorie sugar and sweeteners would work in this recipe. The brownie is from a box, and they do make sugar-free box mixes, but I wouldn’t sub those sorts of sugars cup for cup in a regular brownie recipe. The product would not be the same.

28. Tara posted on March 5, 2014 at 7:24 am (#)

Yup. I most definitely need these in my life right now. Guess I’ll be on the hunt for a pop-up Girl Scout cookie stand this weekend!

29. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on March 5, 2014 at 8:25 am (#)

Yummy! I think these are well worth the eight dollars! Unfortunately, I haven’t seen a girl scout selling cookies all year!

30. Kelly posted on March 7, 2014 at 1:57 am (#)

Oh my gosh, totally drooling and wish these babies were in front of me now. Caution – it will not look very lady like once I start eating these but someone’s gotta do it :) They are simply the best!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 7th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

LOL, I was most certainly not lady like!! :)

31. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on March 16, 2014 at 12:37 am (#)

Somebody left a box of Thin Mints to share in the conference room where I work. I had to have one every time I walked past that box. It was terrible/wonderful. These brownies sound serious. You don’t fool around, and that’s why you rock.

32. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on March 17, 2014 at 6:52 am (#)

These are totally fun! My kiddo is a Thin Mint freak and would LOVE these!