Feb 01

One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joy Bars

These are the perfect one bowl brownies for when you need some chocolate! Add in your favorite candy bar, like Almond Joy, for a fun new flavor twist!

One Bowl Almond Joy Brownies by crazyforcrust.com

These are seriously my new favorite brownies and I want to tell you all about them and how rich and chocolatey and, well, easy they are. But first, a PSA:

If you haven’t ever done it, get your dryer vents professionally cleaned. Have them also clean out the dryer tube going to the wall in your laundry room and the lint area (below the lint screen you clean) on the bottom of your dryer.

Lately our dryer has been taking forever to dry loads – almost 3 hours. The washer went kaput recently, so I figured the dryer was heading in the same direction. I was wrong.

We knew we needed to get the vents cleaned; we hadn’t done it in the two years we’ve lived here and, with the state the house was in when we moved in, I doubt they ever had it done.

Last week the guy came out and it was bad. NO air was getting through the vent. The water spots on my office ceiling I’ve been avoiding calling the roofer about because OMG I hate roof leaks, is from the water buildup in the vent.

The place where the dryer hose meets the wall? The lint in there was black. Like, soon our house would burn down black. Even in the bottom of the dryer, all around the motor, there was lint. Even though I vacuum out the lint screen hole occasionally. Who knew you could take the bottom of your dryer off? I didn’t.

Get your vents cleaned. It’ll cost a couple hundred bucks but the alternative is way worse.

Now? Now my dryer dries a load of clothes in 40 minutes. Yeah. Get them cleaned!

Okay, PSA over. Ready for brownies???

One Bowl Candy Bar Brownies - use your favorite candy bars! crazyforcrust.com

I have a favorite brownie recipe. I’ve made it approximately 500 times give or take 350. It’s got three kinds of chocolate in it and is fudgy and rich and delish. Even thought that is also technically a “one bowl” recipe, it involves buying three kinds of chocolate and doing lots of melting. This recipe is much easier!

Instead of using baking chocolate, this recipe only uses cocoa. And you know what? You can get a super rich, super chocolatey and fudgy brownie using only cocoa. You learn something new every day! You’re just melting butter instead of butter + chocolate, and you only have to buy cocoa. It’s an easier version of my favorite recipe, and it’s also become a new favorite.

This recipe uses a 9×9 (or 8×8) pan. I do that sometimes because I’m one person and don’t need a whole tray of brownies. You can double it easily and bake it in a 9×13 pan, if you want.

You’ll notice this recipe calls for some brewed coffee. You don’t taste the coffee in the brownies; the coffee just brings out the chocolate flavor. Try it – you’ll be happy you did. You can substitute water if you like, but coffee is better. I always have those little instant packs of Starbucks VIA in my pantry. I travel with them (what, don’t you travel with coffee?) and they’re great to brew up a cup when you just need a little for a recipe but don’t want to make a whole pot.

Now, these brownies are great by themselves. Believe me, I made about three batches while I was testing them. But I love adding things to brownies, as you may know. Today I added Almond Joy candy bars. Coconut + chocolate = wonderful. If you’re not an Almond Joy Freak like I am, no worries. I want you to think of this recipe as your base recipe. Add your favorite flavors.

The teacher in me is thinking: Class – what could we add to these brownies?

• Oreos
  • Reese’s
  • Butterfingers
  • Hershey’s Kisses
  • M&Ms
  • Nutter Butters
  • Girl Scout Cookies
  • Chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch….

You get the drift. This is your basic one bowl recipe. Build on it from there! (Or eat them plain with a fork. I’ve done that and I’m sure I’ll do it again!)

Now you’ve learned two things today:

One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joys by crazyforcrust.com

A new all-purpose brownie recipe AND that you need to get your dryer vents cleaned.

Enjoy!

One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joy Bars

Yield: 16 brownies

One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joy Bars

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon brewed coffee (or you can substitute water)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 8 fun-sized Almond Joy or other candy bars, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 or 8x8 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Stir together melted butter, sugar, and cocoa. Stir in eggs, vanilla extract, coffee, and salt. Carefully stir in flour. (The coffee just adds a richness to the brownies, but you can use water if you prefer.) Spread in prepared pan. The batter will be thick.
  3. Sprinkle chopped Almond Joys (or substitute your favorite candy bars) over the top. Bake for about 18-24 minutes, until they loose their glossy sheen and a toothpick comes out 2” from the side with only crumbs sticking to it.
  4. Cool completely before slicing into squares.

Notes

Use your favorite candy bar! Butterfingers, Reese's, Snickers, Milky Way, M&Ms...the sky is the limit!

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (1 of 4)w

Super Fudgy Oreo Brownies

Fudgy Oreo Brownies (1 of 7)w

Nutter Butter Truffle Brownies

nutter butter truffle brownies

Fudgy Brownies with Orange Frosting

Brownies-Orange-Frosting12-4words

Peanut Butter Brownie Pizza by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
The Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownie Sundaes by Bless this Mess
Sea Salt and Olive Oil Brownie Cookies by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

44 Responses to “One Bowl Brownies with Almond Joy Bars”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 1, 2014 at 5:28 am (#)

They look incredible and 8×8 or 9×9 pans are good for sanity. Or shall we say, less cardio :) I love almond joy and mounds, so I know I’d love these!

2. Kara posted on February 1, 2014 at 5:42 am (#)

First off, holy crap yum! Definitely saving this recipe for a rainy day. Secondly, we just went through the same thing at our house! We were getting NO heat, but thankfully it was fixed before the “Polar Vortex” came through!

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 1, 2014 at 7:36 am (#)

omgosh so scary!! That kind of stuff makes me so nervous about having a washer and dryer!

But ooooh these brownies! They look SO rich and delicious!

4. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on February 1, 2014 at 7:58 am (#)

Love these brownies… I would probably go the mounds or reeses route, but love them. Also totally agree the dryer thing is serious business!

5. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on February 1, 2014 at 8:17 am (#)

These look so fantastic!

6. Madison posted on February 1, 2014 at 8:36 am (#)

You had me at ONE BOWL! :)

7. Melissa @ Bless this Mess posted on February 1, 2014 at 9:37 am (#)

Yes please. Will there be flying in with you this coming weekend :)

8. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on February 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, one bowl brownies?! This is amazing. And almond joy included? Even better!! Pinning and making ASAP! Have a great weekend, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:35 am

Thanks for the pin!

9. Mom posted on February 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm (#)

Yummy! Now maybe your electric bill will go down. :) Do you ever “tip” the repairman by giving them baked goods? I’m sure they would love it!!!

10. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on February 1, 2014 at 4:03 pm (#)

These brownies look delish. And Almond Joy is my favorite candy bar ever! Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thanks for the pin!!

11. Melissa posted on February 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm (#)

I’m not sure which to thank you for first…the amazing recipe or the hint about the dryer (cuz mine is taking way too long). Well, I’ve got conversation points for tonight! I love the way you utilize my favorite candy bars in recipes!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thanks Melissa! I’m glad I helped!! :)

12. Linda posted on February 1, 2014 at 4:46 pm (#)

You may want to start putting weights or measures in there for the candy bars. They seem to be playing with names and sizes. Fun vs. snack size. Honestly companies wear me out with their fiddling with the sizes of bars. These look amazing. I did find finally on the web where they tell me the fun size bar weighs 18 gm. LOL

Thanks for a new fun recipe to try!!!

13. Mary Frances posted on February 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm (#)

You sure know how to put candy in desserts! Chocolate candy bar, super chocolate brownies – lookin’ good! Glad to know your dryer all fixed up and workin’ good, too! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:19 am

Thanks Mary Frances!

14. Amy posted on February 1, 2014 at 7:26 pm (#)

Yum!! I’m all about easy brownies; although I absolutely adore chocolate, I don’t want to work too hard to get it! ;) So happy your house didn’t burn down!! That would’ve been horrific, especially with you developing cookbook recipes and Jordan’s birthday party and everything else going on in your busy life. And it’s always a good thing when your clothes come out warm and dry in under an hour!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks Amy!

15. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat. posted on February 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm (#)

I love brownies and I like to add candy in them to jazz them up. I’m definitely going to have to try these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks Shannon! Enjoy!

17. Stephanie Lewsey posted on February 2, 2014 at 5:09 am (#)

I’d love to have a go at the one bowl brownies recipe but I find it hard to convert cups to metric/ imperial. Could you supply recipes with the weights as well?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:12 am

The next time I make them, I’ll have to measure that way. In the meantime, I found this website for you: http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml.

• Stephanie Lewsey replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 9:11 am

Thank you so much for replying, I would be grateful if you could weigh the
        ingredients when you next make them. The site link you sent is the best one
        I’ve seen so far so that is be a great help too. Many thanks
        Stephanie

18. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on February 2, 2014 at 6:33 am (#)

Dorothy, you had me at one bowl. These brownies look fantastic. I’m going to need to get on the dryer cleaning. Ours is doing the same thing. Thanks for the info. Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:10 am

You’re welcome Jennie!! Thanks for the pin!

19. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on February 2, 2014 at 9:33 am (#)

You sound like my Husband when he gets on a kick about dryer vent cleaning! We’ve had tenants burn out dryers because they don’t even clean the lint trap! Imagine!

These brownies look amazing! I love that they only have cocoa powder in them because I don’t always have chocolate chips on hand (usually because I ate them all. shh)! Can’t wait to try these out!

20. Emily @ Life on Food posted on February 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm (#)

I can always use a good brownie. I hear you about the dryer. We had one in a rental that would not dry. The landlord was too cheap to get a new dryer or check out the duct which we knew was the problem. Arg!

21. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:16 am (#)

I love that you put almond joys in these! And seriously, one bowl recipes are the way to go. I’m currently avoided 3 sinkfuls and a few counterfuls of dishes.

Is it weird to admit I get huge satisfaction from cleaning out lint from the dryer trap and vents? I’m glad you didn’t burn your house down!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:29 pm

OMG that’s my life. :)

22. Graham @ Glazed & Confused posted on February 4, 2014 at 6:32 am (#)

Today I was going to try and not crave sugar. It’s 8:30 and now these brownies are the only thing on my mind.
    Delish!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:46 am

Yeah, welcome to my world!

23. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on February 4, 2014 at 10:00 am (#)

These look so dense and chewey! Almond Joys are my favorite.

24. Shikha @ Shikha la mode posted on February 5, 2014 at 10:25 am (#)

Definitely a brownie time of year and I love it!

25. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm (#)

Okay, okay, okay, I will clean the damn dryer if you PLEASE send me a huge batch of these?! Almond Joys inside one-bowl brownies? Dying over hereeeeee (in my wet clothes).

26. Pingback: Mint Chip Brownie Cupcakes - Crazy for Crust

27. Pingback: Cookies 'n Cream Brownie Bites - Crazy for Crust

28. Pingback: Salted Butterscotch Brownies {bloglovin giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

29. Pingback: 102 Best Brownie Recipes Ever | The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen

30. Pingback: The Best Homemade Brownie Mix - Crazy for Crust

31. Cathy posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:48 pm (#)

I’ve made these brownies many times and they are great! I’ve also made them with rolos and another time with reeses peanut butter cups. I’m craving them right now! Thanks for the recipe : )