Dec 23

Mexican Chocolate Truffles

Mexican Chocolate Truffles: perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day…or a random Sunday.

Mexican Chocolate Truffles | crazyforcrust.com

So I know there are hearts on these candies. So what, right? You can put hearts on Christmas candy. At least that’s what I do. By Christmas, as a food blogger, I’ve moved onto Valentine’s Day. No one gets red and green sprinkles in my Christmas boxes. Nope, they get red and pink, and hearts.

The reason these have hearts on these Mexican Chocolate Truffles is that I actually made them last year. These were a recipe I guest posted at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker last year, and I never shared them here. When I came across the photos when cleaning out my hard drive I was excited, because:

1. I needed a post for today. It’s been a hard month!

2. You need one more chocolate recipe for Christmas.

3. You can pin these for Valentine’s Day now, and be totally prepared later.

4. They are super easy to make, so you can print this recipe now, and have them on your platters when you hand them out tomorrow!

See? 4 reasons why you need these, hearts and all!

Mexican Chocolate Truffles | crazyforcrust.com

I love truffles. They are a total guilty indulgence. I  eat way too many of them, and then I run around with a chocolate caffeine induced high, hands jittery, until I crash from the sugar and then eat more. Repeat.

Please tell me I’m not the only one that does that? Or…maybe just nod and say yes, mmkay?

So did you know that truffles are suuuuuuuper easy to make? Just a few ingredients mix to form the rich chocolate center: chocolate, heavy cream, and vanilla. That’s your basic chocolate truffle. The center is also called ganache. As the chocolate hardens, the mixture sets into a rich mixture that is perfect for making truffles.

These truffles have two secret ingredients: cinnamon and cayenne pepper. I’ve always heard about adding cayenne to chocolate and how good it is. I decided it was time to finally try it and ohmigosh, it was so good. The cayenne is not spicy, but it adds a little heat. It’s not like eating chili; this is still a chocolate truffle, with just a little kick.

Don’t be afraid of the spice. It’s really so, so good!

Truffles have so many options for coating: cocoa, powdered sugar, candy melts, sprinkles. Use what you have on hand, and what you like best!

And, if you must, you can use Christmas sprinkles.

Mexican Chocolate Truffles | crazyforcrust.com

But you know you’re a food blogger if you’re already using hearts! :)

Mexican Chocolate Truffles

Yield: 20 one tablespoon truffles

Mexican Chocolate Truffles

• 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used a baking bar)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Chocolate melts for dipping, or powdered sugar, cocoa and/or sprinkles for rolling

1. Break or cut chocolate into pieces. Place heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat just until it bubbles. Pour over chocolate. Stir until all chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. (If it is cold in your house and your chocolate doesn’t want to melt all the way you can put it in the microwave in 10 second increments to aid in melting.) Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, and cayenne. Chill mixture for at least 2 hours. You can also let it sit overnight.
  2. Use a cookie scoop (1 or 2 tablespoon) to scoop balls of truffle. Roll into uniform balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
  3. Melt chocolate melts according to package directions. Dip truffles in chocolate and top with sprinkles, if desired. Or, roll them in cocoa, powdered sugar, or sprinkles.

Notes

You can find almond bark (candy melts) in the grocery section of Walmart and sometimes the grocery store. I like the Candiquik brand the best. Wilton has chocolate melts, sold at craft stores.

Maple Walnut Truffles

maple walnut truffles (6 of 7)w

Avocado Truffles (no cream!)

Chocolate-Avocado-Truffles (3 of 5)

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough truffles (1 of 5)w

Truffle Stuffed Brownie Pops

Truffle Brownie Pops 1 words

Chocolate Covered Banana Bread Truffles by Mother Thyme
Malt Truffles by Savory Simple
Kiss Stuffed Oreos by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

45 Responses to “Mexican Chocolate Truffles”

1. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on December 23, 2013 at 6:33 am (#)

Dorothy, I’m all about the truffle indulgence too! Going into Godiva for a special treat never fails to pick me up on a sad day. I’m almost scared to make them at home because I know I’ll demolish the entire batch in one go. Worth it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:13 pm

And that’s what I did! :)

2. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on December 23, 2013 at 6:36 am (#)

You’re really getting a head start on the holidays! :) Too bad they didn’t make green heart sprinkles …
    Anyways, I’ve always wanted to try the Mexican chocolate recipes. So it doesn’t taste like chili? Hmmm, how hard could it be to add a little spice to some chocolate? Everyone loves truffles and they are so classic! You’ve convinced me – mexican chocolate is on the to-do list!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Just a little warm spice flavor! Like coffee, it’s the perfect complement to the chocolate!

3. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on December 23, 2013 at 7:04 am (#)

They look fantastic!! I all about not caring what season we are in when it comes to good. If I like pumpkin I am eating it in march if I like red and pink candy I am having it in July!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on December 23, 2013 at 7:21 am (#)

They are so perfectly smooth, round, no fingerprints, no dings or anything. They look like the came out of a factory :) Awesome. I need at least a dozen :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I was a little shocked. I mean, I rolled them and they don’t look like deformed brains. *shocked*

5. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on December 23, 2013 at 8:30 am (#)

Love the idea of adding the cayene pepper for a ltittle kick. Have a Merry Christmas hearts and all :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Laura! You too!

6. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on December 23, 2013 at 8:55 am (#)

These look totally awesome but now you’ve got me thinking about Valentine’s Day!! Merry Christmas Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I know, sorry. *shudder*

7. jhon marker posted on December 23, 2013 at 9:38 am (#)

Hello Dorothy,
    i Want to Thank You for This web site , Good pics and good design , and fabulous Recipes ..
    and i want Thank you especially For your Efforts to make this web site the best Ever .
    Regards
    Jhon M

8. Ellen@BakeItWithBooze posted on December 23, 2013 at 9:50 am (#)

Love anything, absolutely anything, Mexican hot chocolatized! These sound delish! I use a combo of cinnamon, ancho, chipotle and cayanne in my MHC creations. This year’s xmas cookies included a MHC version of the cocoa crinkle. Happy Holidays and all the best to you in the New Year, Dorothy!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Thanks Ellen! You too!!

10. Mary Brown posted on December 23, 2013 at 10:41 am (#)

Dorothy thank you for all these wonderful posts and recipes. I really like your style . Happy holidays and a healthy new year.
    Sincerely,
    Mary

11. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on December 23, 2013 at 11:14 am (#)

Hearts totally work for Christmas too :)

Hope you have a wonderful holiday, Dorothy!

12. Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen posted on December 23, 2013 at 11:18 am (#)

Truffles are one of my favorite indulgences….and such a great edible gift! I love the cinnamon & cayenne pepper!! These truffles could have Halloween sprinkles, and I’d still be all over them!

13. Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness posted on December 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm (#)

I love how simple these are…but they look so fancy! And the idea of adding a little bit of spice to a truffle is genius! Merry Christmas Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Thanks Taylor! You too!

14. Tieghan posted on December 23, 2013 at 8:11 pm (#)

Umm…. these look picture perfect!! Seriously, awesome job!!!

Love the flavors and just truffles in general!

15. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch posted on December 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm (#)

Oh my goodness Dorthy I love your little hearts and mexican chocolate truffles deliciousness!

16. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on December 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm (#)

Dorothy, these truffles is pure chocolate indulgence! I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

17. Heather @ The Soulful Spoon posted on December 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm (#)

Merry Christmas Dorothy!! Thank you for taking all the time you do to put into your beautiful photos and recipes. You’re truly talented!:) Have a wonderful holiday<3

18. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on December 25, 2013 at 11:19 am (#)

Merry Christmas to you and your family Dorothy! Hope it’s sweetly wonderful!

19. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on December 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm (#)

These are my weakness. I can eat a dozen without realizing it. So indulgent!!

PS: I may have bought some red M&Ms while Christmas shopping :O

20. Allen @ Best Food Processor Guide posted on December 30, 2013 at 3:53 am (#)

I actually bought all of the ingredients to make truffles and try to make this. But I can’t. Thanks for sharing it and this post give me a successful attempt.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 30th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

You must try – they are SO good!!

21. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on December 31, 2013 at 9:01 am (#)

There is lots of love being shared during the holidays too!

22. Amy posted on January 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm (#)

I totally hear you. On Christmas Eve, I was brainstorming ideas for Valentine’s Day while the rest of my family watched the Ice Age Christmas special on TV. I feel like I should work at a magazine or something — we’d totally be prepared for every holiday season way ahead of time!

23. Bonny Lee posted on January 28, 2014 at 8:46 am (#)

These ingredients –
    1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    are not mentioned in the instructions. Are they added to the filling or the coating?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 28th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Wow, where was my brain??? The filling, instructions updated shortly. :)

24. Pingback: Mexican Chocolate Truffles | Edible Crafts | CraftGossip.com

25. Pingback: Des Moines Apartments Grimes Apartments in Ankeny Johnston Iowa Apartments in Pleasant Hill area Apartments | Haverkamp Properties

26. Pingback: Apartments near Kirkwood Community College - Kirkwood Community College Apartments near Kirkwood Community College and Kirkwood Community College housing

27. Pingback: Mexican Chocolate Spice Mix - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

28. Pingback: The ULTIMATE Cinco de Mayo Party Guide

29. Pingback: Mexican Brownies - Crazy for Crust

30. Pingback: Peanut Butter Covered Oreo Truffles - Crazy for Crust

31. Pingback: Chocolate Truffle Time | Life, Food and Me!

32. julie+rawat posted on October 21, 2014 at 2:33 am (#)

Chocolate is one of the most enjoyable and effective ways to medicate.Full Melt chocolates are organic fair trade premier brand of medicated chocolate bars.