Dec 17

Magic Bar Bark

Magic Bar Bark: so easy a kid can make it!

Magic Bark Bark | crazyforcrust.com

Bark is my favorite thing to make at Christmas. Why? It’s easy. In fact, it’s so easy, a kid can do it.

Jordan loves making bark. She invented and made the Oreo Peppermint Bark you all loved so much, and I know you’re going to love this version too.

Magic Bar Bark. You know, like a seven-layer bar. But it’s bark. So it’s no-bake. And it comes together even faster than regular magic bars!

You know the layers of a traditional magic bar, right? Graham crackers, coconut, nuts, chocolate, butterscotch, sweetened condensed milk. These bars have all of that, sans the milk.

These bars are amazing. An 8-year old made them. And she blogged about them. On her new Samsung Chromebook from Staples.

Chromebook 1

As if an iPad (which is a family iPad but she uses 90% of the time) and an iPod (solely hers) wasn’t enough, now my third grader needs her own computer.

If I were to tweet this, I would use the hashtag #firstworldproblems.

She gets homework she has to do online. Math quizzes she has to take, then depending on her score, she has to print out a worksheet. She also needs do play specific math games found on her school website occasionally, as assigned by her teacher and then “turned in” through a website the teacher monitors.

None of that works on the iPad.

She can’t use my husband’s computer; it’s a work one. Plus, he’s not always home at homework time.

And, I’m sorry, but she’s not touching my Mac. You should see the iPad screen. *shudder*

When Staples asked if I’d review the Samsung Chromebook, I jumped at the chance because I knew it would be a perfect computer for Jordan to use (and for me to steal when we go on vacation).

chromebook 2

The Chromebook is light, and the perfect size for Jordan. She can carry it around easily, unlike the huge clunky old laptop she was using (the one that would always refuse to connect to the internet).

As you would probably guess, Chromebooks run Google Chrome. In fact, the entire computer runs on Google. It’s all web-based, but if you have a google account it’s super easy.

chromebook 3

One click and you go to the internet, using Google Chrome. Another click gets you to Google Docs, where you can work just like on a regular computer, but it’s saved to the web. I love using Google Docs, and I use them all the time on my regular computer. It’s like a free, web-based version of Word. And you can share documents too. When Jordan does her homework or types up a blog post, I can share it with my Google account if I want, and I can go in and read it from my computer.

Did you know you can set up web-based printing? This computer won’t work if you plug a regular printer into it, but if you have a printer set up on another computer in the house, you can set it up for printing from the Cloud.

I’d love to explain to you how that works, but really? It makes my head hurt to think about it. My technology understanding level ended with iTunes. {I mean…does anyone understand iTunes?}

I love that all her web-based homework programs work perfectly on the Samsung Chromebook. I don’t have to worry if the drivers will be supported, like they never were in the iPad and often even had trouble on my mac.

The Chromebook doesn’t have much memory; it’s made for web-based activity. But there are USB ports, so you can use an external drive if you need to store photos, etc. This computer is totally built for on-the-go, and is the perfect computer for Jordan.

She can make bark, and she can blog about it. And do her homework and play math games whenever she wants. #totalwin

Chromebook 4

Last night, she was trying for an hour to get to the next level on the math game she was playing. Seriously people, that never happens. This computer has been a miracle for us!

Kind of like how I made magic bar bark. It’s really a true miracle, how good it is.

Magic Bark Bark | crazyforcrust.com

Let’s recap, shall we? Magic Bar Bark:

Butterscotch base.

Topped with coconut.

And pecans (choose your favorite nut!)

And graham cracker pieces.

Then spread with chocolate.

Then topped with M&Ms. (Use a seasonal color for fun!)

It’s like eating a magic bar…but it’s a bark. And it has to be way less calories without all that sweetened condensed milk, right?

Magic Bark Bark | crazyforcrust.com

At least that’s what I’m telling myself. Luckily Jordan doesn’t know how to do a calorie count on her new computer. That would just be…wrong.

Magic Bar Bark

Magic Bar Bark

• 1 bag (11.5-12 ounces) butterscotch chips
  • 1 bag (11.5-12 ounces) milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup toasted sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
  • 3 whole graham crackers, broken into small pieces

1. To toast coconut and nuts: place them in a medium frying pan over low heat. Stir constantly until the coconut just begins to turn brown. Remove from heat immediately and place in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Melt butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Spread in a thin layer on prepared cookie sheet.
  3. Sprinkle the coconut, nuts, and graham cracker pieces on top of the butterscotch layer. Press lightly with your hands to adhere the toppings to the candy.
  4. Melt the milk chocolate chips in a second microwave safe bowl for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle over the top of the bark and spread carefully with the back of a spoon or with an offset spatula, covering as much of the topping as possible. Let set in the refrigerator, then break into pieces.
  5. If your chocolate or butterscotch has trouble melting, add about a teaspoon of vegetable oil or Crisco to it during the microwaving process and stir. That will help them melt easier. (Sometimes chips just don't want to melt and need a little help!)

For only $249, this Samsung Chromebook would be a great last-minute Christmas gift. Find more about it, and the entire selection of computers on the Staples site.

Scotch Krispie Bark

scotch krispie bark

Sugar Cookie Bark

sugar cookie bark

Peanut Butter Toffee Bark (aka PB Candy Crack)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Toffee Bark4

Caramel Potato Chip Bark

Caramel Potato Chip Bark by www.crazyforcrust.com #bark #candy #caramel

Samoas Bark by Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
Oreo Cookie Bark by Cookies ‘n Cups
White Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bark by Mom on Timeout
Weight Watchers Approved Marshmallow Bark by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

Staples provided me with the Samsung Chromebook to review. The review was not compensated. All opinions are 100% my own, of course. Especially the opinion that this bark rocks.

44 Responses to “Magic Bar Bark”

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on December 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm (#)

Now THAT’S an awesome review!!!
    Loving this magic bar bark. I’m pretty obsessed with butterscotch. It doesn’t seem to get the same spotlight that chocolate gets…

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thank you!! :) Finally, one that was easy to write. :)

2. Kindra posted on December 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm (#)

These look amazing. I can’t do gluten so I’ll just leave out the graham crackers. I could add some gluten-free rice krispies to it though or some chex or something.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Krispies would be awesome!! Or Chex. Both would be perfect for some crunch.

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm (#)

whoa. lookat you and Jordan, gettin’ computers from staples to review and everything!

Plus um I love the concept of turning magic bars into bark! yumsss

4. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm (#)

You are seriously the bark queen Dorothy! I love magic bars and the fact that these are no bake is even better.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

No bake and easy is so awesome this time of year!

5. Mom posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm (#)

Oh, wow, these look great. Does Jordan get to keep the computer after the review?

6. Jackie posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm (#)

A new computer and bark, SWEET!

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm (#)

Magic bars are like my fave bars ever. Bark, with similar flavors, way too easy for my own good :)

8. Vicki Bensinger posted on December 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm (#)

I’m making peppermint bark right now but after viewing all these I may need to change a few. I mean why not pick it up a notch and create barks that’s more exciting and tailor made for each person you gift it to. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing,

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Why not? That’s my favorite part of Christmas. Plus then I get to eat some of all of it. :)

9. Amy posted on December 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm (#)

Your Magic Bar Bark is such a brilliant way to (willingly) get Jordan in the kitchen with you! I love all of the cheerful colors, and with that much chocolate, there is NO way I’d want to share. Love your new blue backdrops too! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yes, willingly is all I ask for, lol!! :)

10. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on December 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm (#)

Such a fun fun idea to make bark based off of magic bars!! That chrome book looks perfect for Jordan!! Love how sleek and lightweight it looks :)

11. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on December 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm (#)

What a fun cute computer :) The bark is super fun too!

12. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on December 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm (#)

This bark is awesome. Pinning and making :)
    And I know what you mean about the iPad screen…I give my kiddos my hubby’s and keep mine to myself. Sick. ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

LOL! I’m glad it’s not just me. It’s embarrassing, really!

13. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on December 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm (#)

Oh, my goodness!!! I love this bark…probably a little too much! Girl, this is a fabulous idea…of course when I eat all of it I may not think so…but seriously, awesome!!! And to review a chromebook is way too cool. I have one just for traveling, and I love it!

14. Tieghan posted on December 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm (#)

Magic bars have become one of my favorites!! This bark must be amazing! Love it, Dorothy!

15. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on December 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm (#)

Aww this is such a great kid-friendly recipe! Love it!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 18th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Totally is! That way she can feel like she actually does all of it. :) Thanks Kristi!

16. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on December 18, 2013 at 4:56 am (#)

That sounds like a great computer! The pic of Jordan blogging so sweet :) She is well on her way, especially with this bark! Taking magic bars and putting them into bark – level genius. Butterscotch and coconut sound amazing together!

17. Melissa {Persnickety Plates} posted on December 18, 2013 at 6:02 am (#)

I totally agree, awesome review. Good job Dorothy (& Jordan!) =)

18. Heather @ French Press posted on December 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm (#)

what a fun post Dorothy – Jordan is just so dang cute!

19. Marti posted on December 19, 2013 at 5:18 am (#)

These look delicious and your photo is beautiful!! :)

Marti

20. Kristyn posted on December 19, 2013 at 8:08 am (#)

Oh, WOW!! This looks so good! Thx for the recipe. :)

21. Samantha @ Five Heart Home posted on December 19, 2013 at 8:47 am (#)

Thanks, Dorothy…that bark would be a fun treat to make with my boys this week when they’re out if school! And the Chromebook looks perfect for kiddos (and adults!). My 6-year-old always asks me why he can’t play on my laptop but I’m with you…I prefer working on a computer free of crumbs and goo and who knows what else!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thanks Samantha!! I know, the goo is what scares me… (and where it came from…)

22. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on December 20, 2013 at 7:07 am (#)

I love that you combined these two great recipies!

23. Pingback: Butterscotch Cookie Cups - Shugary Sweets

24. Pingback: Samoa Magic Bars - Crazy for Crust

25. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Oreo Pretzel Bark | This Gal Cooks

26. Pingback: Chocolate Bark Candy Recipes - Chocolate Chocolate and More!