Nov 10

Peppermint Gooey Bars

I looooove peppermint and chocolate…so you know a Peppermint Gooey Bar had to be on my to-bake list this season!

Peppermint Gooey Bars | crazyforcrust.com

I think I’m part psychic. Call it women’s intuition, call it reading the future, I think I have a little bit of it in me. For example:

I know that Jordan is going to flip out over doing homework after school.

I know that she’s going to tell me she wants pizza for dinner.

I know that I’m going to try not to have a glass of wine tonight, but that I will fail.

See? I’m psychic.

So when I tell you I know you’re going to love these Peppermint Gooey Bars, I’m right – you will. I can see the future.

Peppermint Gooey Bars | crazyforcrust.com

You’re going to make them and eat them and swoon with delight. It’s in the cards, I know it. :)

Right?

Peppermint Gooey Bars | crazyforcrust.com

You can probably tell by now that the gooey bar is my new black. I’m totally making a new version every month, because y’all love them so much. So, here is my first holiday version: the Peppermint Gooey Bar, made with a chocolate cake mix.

You know what’s so great about gooey bars? They’re so darn easy. Seriously, 10 minutes bowl to oven. You need cake mix, sweetened condensed milk, and add-ins for flavor. This peppermint version uses chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips, and Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. (You can find those in the holiday and/or baking section right now.)

Once you bake them, you add a little extra peppermint to the top in the form of crushed candy canes. These are optional, but they make the bars look so pretty and festive. A note about the candy canes: they aren’t going to totally stick. The smaller pieces will, because you add them when the bars are piping hot straight from the oven. You can’t add them before baking or they’ll melt. But they look pretty on top, and give a nice crunch to the bar. Add them or not, your choice!

These bars taste like peppermint brownies. Totally rich and fudgey! You’re going to love them, I know it.

Peppermint Gooey Bars | crazyforcrust.com

And I do know it…because I’m psychic, remember? :)

Peppermint Gooey Bars

Peppermint Gooey Bars

• 1 box chocolate cake mix (15-16 ounces, a normal size box)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
  • 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/3 cup coarsely crushed candy canes (about 10 minis), optional

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray really well with cooking spray.
  2. Place cake mix, egg, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer, it will just take longer.) Mix until the dough forms into a ball.
  3. Place about 2/3 of the dough in the bottom of the pan and press to form the crust.
  4. Sprinkle chocolate chips and Andes Baking Chips over the top. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the chips.
  5. Drop pieces of the remaining dough evenly over the top of the pan. Press lightly to adhere.
  6. Bake for 23-25 minutes until the edges get golden and the cake top is no longer shiny. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Note: the candy canes will slightly melt into the top of the bars. Not all of them will stick. This is optional, and just to make them look pretty. You can omit the candy canes. (You can’t bake the candy canes on top or they will melt.)
  7. Cool completely, chilling if needed to speed up the process, then cut into bars.

Peppermint Cheesecake Cookies

Peppermint Cheesecake Cookies

Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake Brownies

Peppermint Oreo Cheesecake Brownies1

Peppermint Crumble Bars by Something Swanky
Peppermint Snowball Cookies by Inside BruCrew Life
Peppermint Mocha Cookie Crisps by Shugary Sweets

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

57 Responses to “Peppermint Gooey Bars”

1. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on November 10, 2013 at 4:08 am (#)

¥ou are so right! I know I’ll love these. What a great holiday treat :)

2. Tieghan posted on November 10, 2013 at 5:21 am (#)

I love your gooey bars and I knew a holiday gooey bar had to be coming soon! I love that these are chocolate!

3. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on November 10, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

Hello! These look DELISH. Want them. Please tell me you can see them in my future?? ;)

5. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on November 10, 2013 at 10:32 am (#)

Peppermint and chocolate – swoon! This is the best gooey bar I’ve seen (and you have half a dozen incredible versions!)and since it’s so easy, I have absolutely no excuses for my jeans :) … pinning and baking!

6. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on November 10, 2013 at 10:35 am (#)

You have the best gooey bars, I can only imagine these are the perfect fudgey chocolate recipe.

7. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on November 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm (#)

These look great! I think I will love these so you psychic abilities are right on :) Thanks for sharing!

8. Emily @ Life on Food posted on November 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm (#)

I am not ready for Christmas but I am loving the peppermint recipes!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I am so not even close to being ready for November, let alone Christmas!

9. Veronica posted on November 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm (#)

I just made and posted a peppermint and chocolate recipe as well! It’s never too early, right? These brownies look so fudgey and minty… Swoon!!

10. Jenni @ Traveler in the Kitchen posted on November 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm (#)

I’m living in a hotel right now, so just holding on to recipes of awesome (like this one) until I have a kitchen again. Love love love peppermint desserts!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I hope you have a kitchen again soon!! :)

11. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on November 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm (#)

You know me all too well. I will, indeed, swoon over these bars the moment they hit my mouth. Pinned.

12. Renee@ Two in the Kitchen posted on November 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm (#)

Well you certainly read MY future because these are calling my name!! YUM!!

13. lauren posted on November 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm (#)

dying to make these but i can never find Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips at any store :(

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 11th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Boo!! Hmmm, okay. Let’s see. They wouldn’t be red, but you can use regular Andes mints and chop them up. Or mint baking chips (Nestle has a green/chocolate version and I’ve seen mini green ones made by Guittard.) I *think* Wilton makes peppermint/candy cane flavor melt. You can probably find those at Michael’s or similar stores!

14. Shiloh Barkley posted on November 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm (#)

Love these! What a great idea!

15. Chris @ Shared Appetite posted on November 11, 2013 at 4:51 am (#)

Wow these looks so addictively good! I love peppermint desserts this time of year, and I can’t believe how easy the recipe looks. I need to make this immediately :)

16. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on November 11, 2013 at 5:27 am (#)

I love peppermint and chocolate too. It’s a match made in heaven! :) These look incredible. Definitely need to add this to may baking list!

17. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on November 11, 2013 at 7:22 am (#)

You ARE psychic because i KNOW I’d love these bars!!!! And hoooow perfect for Christmas are these??!!

18. Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen posted on November 11, 2013 at 10:17 am (#)

Wow, these bars are amazing, Dorothy! Chocolate and peppermint has to be one of my fave combos of all time. This is going on my holiday baking list for sure!

19. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on November 11, 2013 at 11:11 am (#)

These are the most festive bars I’ve seen yet! I LOVE the peppermint on top, whether they stick or not. And peppermint and chocolate is absolutely the perfect flavor combo – yum!

20. shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on November 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm (#)

I love everything about this! Chocolate, peppermint, gooey… all fantastic! :)

21. Crystal @ Mrs Happy Homemaker posted on November 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm (#)

I love peppermint & chocolate together – this looks so good!

22. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuffs posted on November 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm (#)

You have proved your psychic abilities!!! Peppermint and chocolate have been on my mind :) This is on the “to do” list!

23. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate posted on November 12, 2013 at 1:36 pm (#)

I am not a big fan of candy canes but the gooey chocolate factor is doing me in!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 13th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Me either Mallory! But they just complement the flavor on these. The Andes chips in the center make the gooey bar!

24. Dina posted on November 12, 2013 at 5:27 pm (#)

I love crunchy peppermints. I would love these!

25. Amy posted on November 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm (#)

I loved the picture you posted on Instagram with your camera in the middle of this photo shoot! Way too cute Dorothy. :)

26. Pingback: 20 Delicious & Festive Peppermint Desserts for Christmas - Love of Family & Home

27. Laura posted on November 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm (#)

When I made these I experimented… I halved the butter but added the same quantity back using canned pumpkin. I had a previous recipe that didn’t use the whole can & I hare wasting it. Of course, all the chocolate and peppermint flavors mask the pumpkin but it kept the cake moist!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 26th, 2013 at 7:23 am

Totally! And it makes them healthier! I’ve done that with avocado, same result (you don’t taste it, but it’s better than butter!) Thanks for the comment Laura!

28. Jennifer posted on December 5, 2013 at 1:05 am (#)

I just made these and they’re cooling as I speak. For those that could not find Andes peppermint chips, I used Ghirardelli peppermint chocolate bars in the baking aisle (although it looked suspiciously like their peppermint bark on sale in the candy aisle…). I couldn’t find Andes chips in at my grocer either.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 5th, 2013 at 6:46 am

What a bummer you couldn’t find them! The Peppermint chocolate bars are a perfect sub!

29. Pingback: Gooey Gingerbread Twix Bars

30. Pingback: Peppermint Gooey Bars recipe | Camp Mommawatchi

31. Pingback: A Bazillion & ONE Christmas Treats! | let the awesomeness begin…

32. Pingback: 20 Recipes using Candy Canes - Bless This Mess

33. Arica posted on December 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm (#)

Can you tell me if these would work ok in a 11×13 pan??

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 19th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I think an 11×13 pan would be too big. You can make them in a 9×13 pan, double the sweetened condensed milk (just use the whole can) but they’ll be thinner than pictured (but they’ll still work!)

• Jenifer replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Can these be made in an 8 by 8 pan. I don’t have a 9 by 9. Planning on making tonight for my Christmas dessert. If not I saw you said a 9 by 13 would work. Use the same amount of everything? Just double the condensed milk? That’s all?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hi Jenifer! You can make them in an 8×8, but they’ll be really thick. You can also do them in a 9×13, but double the SCM and peppermint chips. They’ll be thinner than shown, and baking time will be affected, but they’ll still be awesome!

34. Pingback: gooey peppermint bars - SIMPLE EVERYDAY FOOD