Nov 07

Chocolate Mint Macarons

Macarons may seem hard, but really they just require patience. These Chocolate Mint Macarons are so good – and they’d be a perfect addition to any holiday platter!

Chocolate Mint Macarons | crazyforcrust.com | #macaroncookbook

No, not Macaroon. Macaron. You know, the new en vogue cookie? Florian, the dude from Cupcake Wars? You know what I’m talking about right?

Macaroons (two o’s) are a coconut cookie traditionally served in Spring. Macarons (one o) are little sandwich cookies that have no coconut whatsoever. They’re an airy-yet-chewy kind a a meringue but not really, made with almond flour cookie.

And they’re amazing!

My first experience with macarons was a few years ago at the Foodbuzz Blogging Conference. They served all these different flavors in all these pretty colors. Since then, I’ve seen them across blogland and in pretty much every dainty bake shop. I’ve heard all the horror stories about how hard they are to make, about how fickle they can be. But, even with all that, I’ve been dying to make them. They’ve been #1 on my baking bucket list for some time now.

And I can finally say I’ve conquered the macaron! And you know what? It wasn’t that hard. A long process? Yes. Did I need patience? Yes. But hard? No. I think anyone can make these – really.

I mean, how could you not make them?

Chocolate Mint Macarons | crazyforcrust.com | #macaroncookbook

These macarons are chocolate, with a mint chocolate ganache filling. The best part about macarons are how versatile they are. It’s like making whoopee pies: just change the flavor profile with a new filling. I used ganache I had leftover from this cheesecake. I knew that mint ganache would go so good with a chocolate macaron.

Now, like I said before, making macarons requires lots of patience. There are lots of steps. There’s lots of sifting involved. You need a kitchen scale and you need to age egg whites. After my pie crust tutorial the other day, I was not in the mood to do another step-by-step photo post and luckily, I don’t have to. Mindy has done it all for you in her new cookbook!

Macarons by Mindy Cone

Mindy Cone, the writer behind the blog Creative Juice, published the Gourmet French Macarons just a few months ago. In the book she details step-by-step, with photos, how to create the perfect macaron. She broke it down so good that I was able to do it easily! And now I want to make more, because I’m not scared of them anymore!

Then, not only did she fill the book with fun flavors of macarons and a bunch a delicious filling ideas (from chocolate ganache to white chocolate and caramel macadamia nut to butterscotch and pink lemonade!), but she turned the basic macaron into tons of cute shapes! The book, with over 75 designs, was written and photographed by Mindy. It really is a piece of artwork. And her macarons are so yummy! The book even comes with a template CD so you can print the shapes you need.

Chocolate Mint Macarons | crazyforcrust.com | #macaroncookbook

I was so proud of myself when these turned out. I cannot wait to make more flavors! The outside is crunchy and the inside is chewy – these really are the perfect cookie. Don’t let them scare you – anyone can make them!

Chocolate Mint Macarons

Chocolate Mint Macarons

For the Macaron:
  • 100g of egg whites aged at room temperature (about 4 egg whites; separate 5 eggs and leave the whites out at room temperature covered with a paper towel for 24 hours, then measure for the recipe)
  • Pinch of Cream of tartar
  • 35g of superfine sugar
  • 110g of Almond flour
  • 200g of Powdered Sugar
  • 10g cocoa powder
  • For the Mint Ganache
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped creme de menthe pieces
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream

Make the Macarons:
  1. Measure out all ingredients using a gram scale
  2. Prepare the baking sheets by lining them with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Slide a printed 1 ½ inch template sheet underneath and set aside. Prepare piping bag to be filled and set aside.
  3. Sift powdered sugar, almond mixture, and cocoa powder together two or three times through a sieve and set aside.
  4. Place the egg whites in a large bowl or in stand mixer with wire whisk attachment. Whisk on low until egg whites become foamy. Add the pinch of cream of tartar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form. Slowly add in the superfine sugar. Once all of the sugar is incorporated, scrape down the sides with a spatula.
  5. Turn your mixer on medium-high and continue to whisk until you reach a stiff meringue. If adding liquid or gel food dye, do so toward the end of whisking.
  6. Sift 1/3 of the almond flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder mixture through the sieve and into the meringue. Fold the dry mixture into the meringue. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Once all of the dry ingredients are incorporated, the batter will be thick and have a dull shine. Continue to fold. As you do so, the batter will loosen. Stop folding when the batter has a glossy sheen, a “lava-like” consistency, and falls in a ribbon like manner off the spatula.
  7. Transfer the batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a round tip and pipe 1½ inch rounds on the parchment paper following the template.
  8. When all of the rounds are piped on the parchment, rap the sheet pans evenly on work surface a few times. Remove templates from below your parchment paper carefully. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 20-40 minutes.
  9. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake one sheet at a time for 12 minutes rotating the pan half way through.
  10. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  11. Match up similar size shells into pairs and sandwich with filling.
  12. Make the Mint Ganache:
  13. Add heavy cream, chocolate, and creme de menthe pieces to a measuring cup. Microwave for 30 seconds, whisk. Heat for an additional 15 seconds if needed. Whisk until smooth. Chill until it is the consistency to pipe into cookies.
  14. Fill the cookies with the mint gananche. Place in a sealable container and chill overnight. They are best after they have sat overnight.

Cookies & Mint Chip Cheesecake

Cookies and Mint Chip Cheesecake (14 of 17)w

Mint Chip Milkshake Cupcakes

mint-chocolate-milkshake-cupcakes (3 of 7)w

Macaron Brownie Bombs by The Domestic Rebel
Pumpkin Pie Macarons by Bakeaholic Mama
Chocolate Macaron Footballs by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

51 Responses to “Chocolate Mint Macarons”

1. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on November 7, 2013 at 5:39 am (#)

Confession: I have never tried making a macaron of my own, even though they are one of my absolute favorite pastries in the case. That needs to change ASAP. And if practice makes perfect…more macarons “mistakes” to for snacking :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

They’re so much easier than I thought they’d be Erin!! :) Thank you!

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:11 am (#)

Ive been going nuts with choc + mint (for posts I have to turn in now for December) and these macs are perfect, Dorothy! I may be the only person left on the planet though who’s never made them. I know, I need to just do it, right!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I so love mint! I’m totally getting into it now – although I love it all year!

• Corina replied on December 18th, 2013 at 9:19 am

You know, I failed 3 times just to get a right Macaron. It took me a lot of time, patience and a lot of research. If you never made them before, I really recommend them. When I made them for the first time, I added no food coloring or anything and this is my advice for everyone who is a Macaron-beginner.
      Whipping the egg whites and “macaronage” are not difficult, but baking them is a horror for me. They need the right temperature, or else the “‘foot”‘ will sink or they will get air pockets, which I find totally wrong.
      You surely know how a perfect Macaron looks like. I`m currently experimenting and I`m getting better and better(I ate so many Macarons lately that I give them all away to friends).
      You should make a batch of this little fancy desserts, it`s worth it. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 18th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I love them so much, I need to make them again!

3. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth{ Life posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:49 am (#)

I had macarons in Canda and have always though how fun they would be to bring to events. That cookbook is going on the Christmas list! These are so pretty and mint always makes meals feel finished … light, airy, and fancy and you NAILED them. Beautiful photos, too!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

It’s the prettiest cookbook ever! :)

4. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on November 7, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

I’ve never tried macarons or macaroons but I’ve always wanted to! Yours look amazing!

5. Ashton posted on November 7, 2013 at 8:02 am (#)

Yum!!! I bow down to the queen of Chocolate Mint!! These are beautiful :) I LOVE going to Ginger Elizabeth’s every time we visit Sac just for the Macarons!!!!!! The salted caramel? omg…..

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thank you! :) I’ve never been there…must go!

6. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on November 7, 2013 at 8:10 am (#)

Oh Dorothy these look amazing!! I have been too intimidated to try macarons but after seeing these I just might make the plunge!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

They’re super easy once you get the patience part down! :) Thanks Chandra!

7. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on November 7, 2013 at 8:29 am (#)

They turned out beautifully Dorothy and I bet they are just too fabulous for words – yum!

8. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on November 7, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

Thanks so much for sharing. I have them on my bucket list too, but I haven’t tried them yet. These look great :)

9. Rebecca posted on November 7, 2013 at 11:13 am (#)

Ohhh I love the combination of mint and chocolate :P will try them as well ;)
    Thanks for sharing!

10. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on November 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

1. The photography in this post is GORGEOUS.
    2. Macarons are also on my baking bucket list! I’m still coming to terms with the fact that I’ll have to buy a food scale for them…
    3. These look incredible- I’ve been waiting for the recipe since I saw your instagram photo.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thank you so much Faith! Yes, you have to have a scale. I got one with a gift card a few months ago and I’ve been itching to make macarons since!

12. Megan - The Emotional Baker posted on November 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm (#)

I haven’t made macarons yet, but a chocolate mint version sounds perfect!

13. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on November 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm (#)

I’ve never tried macarons either, but I think I might now! You make them sound less scary than I thought. And I love the chocolate mint flavor -yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 7th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

They are SO good – my new favorite cookies!

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifec posted on November 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm (#)

I have never made macaroons before either. It’s on my baking bucket list to try one day…I just haven’t gotten the courage to do it yet. Yours turned out so good, and I love that you filled them with mint :-)

15. Kristin posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm (#)

Thank you for explaining that difference! This dessert is something I’m going to try and conquer.

16. Dorothy Vesperman posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm (#)

They look soo yummy! And your picture is beautiful!! The book is going on my Chirstmas list!! Hope I’ve been good this year. ; ) Thanks for making them and sharing all the info about making them.

Hugs, Dorothy V.

17. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on November 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

These are lovely! And yes, the thought of making macaroons is certainly intimidating! I am not quite there yet. I will just admire yours. :)

18. Heather @ French Press posted on November 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

Dorothy they look perfect and i love that you chose chocolate and mint – YUM

19. Tieghan posted on November 7, 2013 at 7:36 pm (#)

I have never made or had macarons! You have just convinced me that I need to change that and soon! These look awesome, Dorothy!

20. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on November 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm (#)

I made macarons once, several years ago. I agree with you … patience is necessary! Your macarons are beautiful and the photos too :)

21. tanya posted on November 8, 2013 at 3:36 am (#)

I’m so lazy about actually weighing ingredients, but I can sow you have to with these. You really did an outstanding job Dorothy! I’d love to have these on my cookie tray, are you taking orders?

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I usually am too, but it’s worth the extra step for these!

22. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on November 8, 2013 at 5:45 am (#)

omg like thin mints but in macaron form!!!

23. Ashley posted on November 8, 2013 at 1:24 pm (#)

Macarons have been on my bucket list forever! I need to just go for it and give them a try! Love this chocolate mint flavor!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I promise their easier than you think!

24. tahnycooks posted on November 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm (#)

i think macarons are one of the most prettiest cookies! You just proved me right, great job!

25. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on November 8, 2013 at 11:06 pm (#)

I am so exited for you! I am totally terrified of Macaroons.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 10th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I was so scared too! Now I can’t wait to make them again!

26. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on November 9, 2013 at 5:35 am (#)

Love how perfect these turned out Dorothy! I’ve never been a huge macaron fan (which is odd because I LOVE meringue cookies), but with these chocolate mint macarons I’m pretty sure I can be converted!!!! YUM

27. Dina posted on November 9, 2013 at 8:19 am (#)

they look yummy!

28. Amy posted on November 14, 2013 at 10:14 pm (#)

Dorothy, I’m SO proud of you for tackling macarons!! They look gorgeous, with the perfect feet and no fallen centers whatsoever. You are incredible!! :D

29. Pingback: 24 Holiday Recipes You Need to Try | The Prospect