Oct 10

Caramel Apple Gooey Bars

These Caramel Apple Gooey bars are one of my favorite versions yet!

Caramel Apple Gooey Bars - made with Rolos! | crazyforcrust.com

Okay, yes. I know I have a problem. A gooey bar problem.

Pumpkin.

Funfetti.

PB&J.

Chocolate.

I just can’t. Get. Enough!

And, well, you know me. When I find something I like, I buy 7. So…more gooey bars for you! But that’s not a problem, right?

YOU like gooey bars as much as I do!

And you’re gonna love these Caramel Apple Gooey Bars!

Caramel Apple Gooey Bars - made with Rolos! | crazyforcrust.com

I seriously can’t stop thinking of combos. I mean, stand in the candy aisle at Walmart for a minute and just imagine.

Milky Way.

Crunch.

Almond Joy.

Peanut Butter Cups.

Rolos.

Rolos. That’s what spawned these. Rolos are amazing – caramel and chocolate. Two things that go so well with apple.

Rolos + Apples in these Caramel Apple Gooey Bars! | crazyforcrust.com

These bars, as usual, start with a cake mix. I used a yellow cake mix. (I’m partial to Duncan Hines.) You make a dough out of it, and press half into the pan.

Then you spread apples and Rolos on top. And give those a bath in sweetened condensed milk. Topped with the rest of the cake mix dough, you bake and then swoon in delight.

Apples + Caramel + Chocolate = Good.

A note about the recipe: I didn’t pre-cook my apples, so they’re a little chewy. I wanted them that way in this. If you can’t stand that, then pre-cook them. It won’t affect the rest of the recipe, and I’ve made a note in the recipe itself.

Either way – these are the perfect way to use up those apples from the orchard.

And the perfect excuse to buy Rolos.

Rolos + Apples in these Caramel Apple Gooey Bars! | crazyforcrust.com

Not that you really need an excuse. Those suckers are good!

Caramel Apple Gooey Bars

Ingredients:

• 1 yellow cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups cored, peeled, and diced apples (I used Granny Smith)
  • 30 Rolos, unwrapped (1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed millk (I use fat-free)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Mix cake mix, egg, butter, and cinnamon in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. The dough will form a ball.
  3. Press about half of the dough in the bottom of the pan. Top with diced apples and Rolos. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Place bits of the remaining dough evenly over the top and press gently to compact.
  4. Bake bars for about 35 minutes, until the top just begins to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing. The refrigerator helps this step, but be sure to serve room temperature so no one breaks a tooth on a cold Rolo!

Notes:

Note: the apples are a little chewy. I like them that way in these, but if you prefer a softer apple you can cook the apples before adding them in step 3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan and add the apples. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the just start to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add as directed to the top of the cake mixture and continue from there.

Pumpkin Toffee Gooey Bars

pumpkin-toffee-gooey-bars (2 of 4)w

PB&J Gooey Bars

PBJ-Gooey-Bars (1 of 5)w

Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

easy-caramel-apple-cinnamon-rolls (3 of 5)w

Caramel Macchiato Gooey Bars by Inside BruCrew Life
Better than Anything Caramel Stuffed Brownies by Something Swanky
Gooey Chocolate Oreo Crunch Butter Cake by Half Baked Harvest

41 Responses to “Caramel Apple Gooey Bars”

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on October 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm (#)

I have a recipe like this from my first year of blogging. Minus the rolos and apples. And add in the PB and white choc chips. Seriously LOVE recipes like this. Yellow cake mix, sweet cond milk, can do no wrong. And throw in candy. Yep. Good times!! :)

4. Megan I The Emotional Baker posted on October 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm (#)

I’ve been trying to hold off from buying candy, but these look so good I may have to just to try these delicious bars!

5. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on October 10, 2013 at 4:44 pm (#)

Rolos and apples I think this could be my new best friend :)

6. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on October 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm (#)

Awesome combo. I am going to try my first gooey bar this weekend.

7. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on October 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm (#)

You can’t go wrong with another gooey bar recipe! :) These look phenomenal!

8. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on October 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm (#)

This is a great problem to have!! You end up with delicious combinations like this. Another great gooey bar :)

9. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on October 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm (#)

Ohmygosh….you can’t go wrong with Rolos – what a perfect gooey bar!!

10. jackie posted on October 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm (#)

I’m officially on restriction from reading your blog for awhile! Oh this is torture when trying to lose weight! (I’ll save them all tho) :o)

11. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on October 10, 2013 at 6:27 pm (#)

You can never go wrong with a Rolo!!! These sound awesome!!!

12. Mom posted on October 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm (#)

Wow, these sound great! Are there any left in the freezer? YUM!

13. Tieghan posted on October 10, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

There can never, ever be enough gooey bars. Never!! Dorothy, these are so awesome! You are a gooey bar genius! I really need to make these!

Thanks so much for linking my oreo bars! I totally forgot all about those!

14. Teresa posted on October 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm (#)

These look so decadent! I’ve pinned them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for the pin Teresa!

15. Mandy's Recipe Box posted on October 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#)

Oh.goodness. I need these in my mouth.

16. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on October 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm (#)

These look SO good. I love the top layer of cake mix! What a great idea to use Rolos!

17. tanya posted on October 11, 2013 at 4:41 am (#)

I can’t resist anything with the word “gooey” Dorothy!

18. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on October 11, 2013 at 8:07 am (#)

I cannot stand in the candy aisle. I get lost in there, like, all those candies are just calling my name and before I know it, I’m grabbing every bag off the shelf because I just can’t say no. And then my wallet says it for me. :) These gooey bars look like the perfect way to use the bag of Rolos in my cabinet! Apples, rolos, gooey bars … how can I say no?!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

That’s totally what happened to me…and does every time! :)

19. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on October 11, 2013 at 10:02 am (#)

These look so easy, fun and addicting!

20. Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers posted on October 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm (#)

Ok, yes please. Thank you. :D

21. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on October 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

Loving these bars!

22. sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on October 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm (#)

Rolos are my absolute favorite all-time candy, and the combination with apple sounds incredible! :)

23. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl posted on October 11, 2013 at 8:19 pm (#)

I’m here to swoon and ooh and ahh at these gooey bars! Amazing job on these babies!

24. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on October 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm (#)

Literally all my favorite flavors together!! I want these!!

25. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on October 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm (#)

Dorothy, love combination of apples, caramel, and chocolate. Yum! Pinned!

26. Amy posted on October 13, 2013 at 9:54 pm (#)

Oh my yes, chocolate and caramel go perfectly with apples! (As does PB… But that’s a gooey bar for another time? ;) ) I love how many candy-related recipes you’re putting out lately. Such great inspiration for using up the half-eaten bags in my coat closet (yes, I’m trying to hide it until Halloween)!

27. Soknitpicky posted on October 14, 2013 at 4:59 pm (#)

I made these today, and they are SO good! Plus, the house smelled amazing while they were baking. Thank you for the recipe. It’s a keeper!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked them! :)

28. Pingback: Crust & Crumbs - Crazy for Crust

29. Carrie posted on October 18, 2013 at 8:00 am (#)

What a great fall recipe. Not only are these bars delicious, they make my home smell like fall and I love it. I found your blog when I pinned your funfetti gooey bars (now a staple!), and am now hooked on baking and sharing the gooey bar love. Thanks, and can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 18th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad you liked them. I’m a gooey bar addict!

30. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on October 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm (#)

They look so… Gooey! hahaha

31. Allysia posted on October 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm (#)

I wanted to tell you that you’ve made addicts of my children with this recipe! My five year old is devastated that I don’t intend to make more until next week when his grandma comes and my two year old started crying when I told her they’re all gone. Thank you! This recipe is amazing!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 24th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

LOL!! Thank you so much Allysia! I’m glad she likes them!!

32. Rachel posted on November 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm (#)

Can I double this recipe and put in a 9×13 pan?

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 4th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Yes, but it will be thicker than the bars you see, since a 9×13 is not quite double a 9×9. Baking time might be affected, but it’ll still be amazing!

33. Pingback: Caramel Apple Toffee Blondies - Crazy for Crust