Sep 09

Maple Walnut Truffles

These Maple Walnut Truffles have a whole lot of maple and walnut flavor, with the perfect amount of sweetness!

Maple Walnut Truffles | A See's Candy Copycat! | crazyforcrust.com | #copycat #truffle #maple

How many of you have heard of See’s Candy? If you live East of Chicago, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about, but if you have ever lived on the West Coast, or been to an airport in the West, you’ll probably recognize the name.

See’s Candy is an iconic candy store here in California. I grew up on the stuff. The plant where it’s made is actually in South San Francisco, just minutes from my childhood home. The plant where they make the (totally nut-free) suckers is actually in Burlingame, my home town.

On a good wind day you can smell the chocolate from the factory near my hold house. It’s like watching Willy Wonka, only better.

Walking into a See’s store is like smelling home to me. No matter where I am, whenever I walk into the shop with the black-and-white checkered floor, I take a deep breath and I’m instantly transported to my childhood.

Several of their candies have been on my copycat bucket list for a very long time. (Butterscotch Squares, I’m looking at you!) I decided to start with one of my absolute favorites: the iconic (and See’s original) Maple Walnut Truffle.

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen my See’s Candy photo bombing last week. As part of the Sacramento Bloggers group, I was invited to a pre-grand opening tour of the newest See’s store in Folsom. A bunch of us bloggers, quite literally, got to go crazy in a candy store.

sees03

I even got to go behind the counter. It was like a dream come true!

Of course, my trip to See’s was super inspiring. I came away with about 25 different things I want to copycat. And even though I also came home with several pounds of candy, I decided to make some.

Never enough sugar around yo’!

I’ve always loved these Maple Walnut Truffles. When I was a kid, a 1-lb box of See’s lasted less than 24 hours in our house (and there were only three of us, my mom, dad, and me!) By the morning after, the box would be but an echo of brown wrappers, half pieces of fruit filled candy no one wanted, and the knife used to cut them.

I never needed to cut the Maple Walnut Truffles in half. I could identify them on site. Not perfectly spherical, they were higher than they were round.

Unfortunately, we all know that my truffles are lucky if they are spheres. Heck, they’re lucky if they don’t look like brains, so I wasn’t going to get the telltale See’s shape. I went for perfect round balls of delicious.

And I got them!

The maple filling is a maple buttercream, made with butter, powdered sugar, and flavoring. You mix in some toasted walnuts and then dip the truffles in chocolate.

These may not look like the original, but they sure do taste like them. I’m a little scared that I know how to make these now. And that I always have the ingredients to make them on-hand. Sugar highs, every day, for sure.

I just wish I could replicate the chocolate-in-the-air smell. Now that would be cool!

Maple Walnut Truffles

Yield: About 20 truffles

Maple Walnut Truffles

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
  • 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
  • 8 ounces chocolate candy melts (such as Candiquik)

1. Mix butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar with a hand mixer. Add both extracts and beat until creamy. Stir in walnuts. Chill for 30 minutes.
  2. Once chilled, scoop 1 tablespoon sized balls of dough and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill again until just ready to dip (at least 10 minutes).
  3. Melt your candy in a microwave safe bowl according to package directions. Dip each truffle in the bowl of chocolate. Do not roll it around, use a spoon to spoon chocolate over the top. Lift onto a fork carefully and tap to remove excess chocolate. Place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. I find it best to use a toothpick to help the truffle slide off the fork without disturbing too much of the coating.
  4. Note: these truffles soften quickly. If you find them getting to soft, re-chill them and only remove a few at a time to dip.
  5. Chill dipped truffles for just a few minutes, until coating is semi-hard. Meanwhile transfer the remaining chocolate to a squeeze bottle (or a plastic bag with the tip cut off) and pipe swirls or swipes of chocolate over the top for decoration.

Notes

To keep my chocolate warm, I like to heat my electric griddle to 200F and cover it with two kitchen towels. Then I place the bowl of melted chocolate on top to keep it warm and liquid while I dip.

Chocolate Avocado Truffles

Chocolate-Avocado-Truffles (1 of 5)w

Truffle Stuffed Brownie Pops

Truffle Brownie Pops 1 words

Samoa Truffles by Chef in Training
Butterfinger Cookie Truffles by Inside BruCrew Life
30 Candy Recipes by Something Swanky

130 Responses to “Maple Walnut Truffles”

1. Debbie D posted on October 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm (#)

Love, love, love See’s candies. They use Guttard chocolate for their chocolates. Love that you can get the Guttard chocolate chips in the grocery stores and at the Sur La Table here in CA. My favorite See’s candy–Bordeaux’s!!! Would love a copy cat recipe on that one. YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 13th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Guittards also makes melts (better than chocolate chips for dipping) that you can buy in bag form, like the Wilton ones. I have to order them online, which is why I hardly ever use them. I need to order some for Christmas baking!

2. JudyG posted on October 21, 2013 at 4:01 pm (#)

I grew up in the East Bay and there is nothing like See’s Candy. My aunt got the See’s fudge recipe in @ 1952 and brought it home for my mom ot make. I still make it and love it. And Fantasy fudge is just a knock off and not the real thing. Did you know that See;s now sells their chocolate chips? I want to get some to use for the fudge .Now I have no choice but to make the Maple Walnut Truffles. Thank you for the recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 21st, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m sorry, what now? They sell the chocolate chips? Must. Get. Some. :) Thanks so much!

• JudyG replied on October 21st, 2013 at 4:43 pm

They have the choc chips in their online store so I’m hoping they have them in the local stores also. They are more expensive but they’ve just got to be good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 21st, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Oh I bet they are amazing!

• Sharon V. replied on November 5th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I grew up in Redwood City….and there is nothing like See’s Candy…Bought a bunch of it at S.F.O. before flying out here to Florida…My daughter is sending me a few boxes for Christmas…I can’t wait

• Adrienne T. replied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I used to live in So. San Francisco too. I remember that wonderful smell!!

3. Pingback: Maple Walnut Candies | Chantelle and the Teddy Bears

4. Missy Pusey posted on November 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm (#)

What is the best way to store these?

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 17th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I like to store my truffles in the refrigerator until I’m ready to set them out, or about an hour before so they can come to room temperature. You can keep them on the counter in a sealed container, but they’ll last longer in the fridge, because of the butter. :)

5. Beverly posted on November 24, 2013 at 6:27 am (#)

I lived in Watsonville, Calif. and was used to See’s Candy. When we first moved here about 29 years ago we did have a See’s Candy store before it left and was only in Denver. We finally have a See’s candy store that came back in a few years ago. Some people here think Stephanie’s or Mrs. May’s chocolates are the best. I don’t think they hold a candle to See’s. I guess it is just what one is brought up with.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 24th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Nothing is as good as See’s! :)

• Carrol replied on January 5th, 2014 at 9:10 am

Many years ago, when my children were barely old enough to go to school, I worked at a See’s Candy Store for 2 years. We were told that when we were ‘on the clock’ we could not only eat all the candy we wanted we were actually encouraged to do so, so that we could describe in our own words what it tasted like. Believe it or not, I was a “Take Off Pounds Sensibly” member at goal almost the entire time. I ate little else on the days I ate See’s! I was not born or raised anywhere on or near the west coast and had never heard of See’s before. It truly is the best candy in my humble opinion. The company buys only the very best ingredients which is one of the reasons that their candy is soooo good! They actually give every customer a piece of candy to enjoy while they are selecting their purchase. Absolutely top notch! Like someone else mentioned, the only way I can keep See’s Candy in our home more than 24 hours is to hide it. I am able to ration it out to myself…savoring each piece…But not my hubby….gone in what appears as seconds! Since I live back in the CST zone again, alas…I have to order it online!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 6th, 2014 at 7:08 am

What a wonderful memory! I think I would have been 300 pounds if I worked there. Kind of like working where I do now, lol! 😉 Thanks for reading and sharing!

6. Pingback: Butterscotch Squares copycat recipe {Amazon giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

7. Pingback: Maple Walnut Truffles | Recipe Hub

8. Sarah posted on December 14, 2013 at 7:12 pm (#)

Just made these and they are delicious! I can’t wait to give them out as gifts.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you like them!

9. Pingback: Mexican Chocolate Truffles - Crazy for Crust

10. Melissa posted on January 31, 2014 at 1:11 pm (#)

Hi. Where can I find Maple extract?? I’ve been looking all over with no luck!!!

11. mrsblocko posted on March 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm (#)

I made these truffles and wrote about them here. These now my new favorite Christmas cookie. I had to tackle my mother for the last one. Thank you SOOOO much for sharing the recipe. It’s so wonderfully evil!!!! :)

12. Pingback: Brownie Gooey Bars - Crazy for Crust

13. Bonnie posted on November 8, 2014 at 2:47 pm (#)

I followed the ingredients and directions to the tee, after all the work and money, not to mention the time, they were WAY to sweet.  In to the garbage they all went.

14. Patricia Middleton posted on November 25, 2014 at 9:41 am (#)

Am anxious to try your Maple Walnut Truffles: 1-because they sound and look delicious and 2-because they are a copycat recipe of a See’s candy!!!!! My problem: being a native of California I grew up with See’s candy and enjoyed them for many, many years, but now I live in Texas . . . There are no See’s stores in Texas!! (not REAL stores anyway, the grocery chain HEB carries a limited variety of boxed See’s, but it just isn’t the same (sigh)). So my question is: do you have any more recipes that copycat other See’s candies???

15. Pingback: Christmas Treats Roundup | Tastes Better From Scratch

16. Pingback: The Ultimate Christmas Candy Recipe Collection - Two Chics And A Blog

17. Pingback: Tuesday Food Days- Truffles | Doug & Smalls

18. Eun posted on January 17, 2015 at 12:36 pm (#)

Is this salted or unsalted butter?

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 18th, 2015 at 10:46 am

I use unsalted, but you can use salted if you like! Since it’s not baked, omit all salt if using salted butter and do a little taste taste before you roll them to see if you need to add any.

19. Megan posted on February 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm (#)

Do you use pure maple syrup or pancake type maple syrup? These look very yummy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2015 at 7:17 am

I used pure maple syrup for these!