Jun 26

Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat}

These Caramel Banana Pecan Doughnuts are totally sinful – and if you’ve ever been to Gourdough’s in Austin you’ll understand why! This doughnut is a mini copycat of Gourdoughs Granny’s Pie Doughnut and it is one of the best doughnuts I’ve ever had, and they are made so easy by using Pillsbury Biscuits!

Banana Pecan Caramel Doughnuts by crazyforcrust.com | A copycat of the famous Gourdoughs Granny's Pie doughnut!

If you follow me (or any bloggers who attended BlogHer Food last weekend) on Instagram, you may have been overwhelmed with the amount of doughnut photos you were bombarded with. I apologize, because I know if it were me I would have been drooling all over my phone!

One thing I love about visiting new cities is trying out local food – especially the sweet variety. A few weeks before I left for Austin it was brought to my attention that there is an iconic doughnut shop there, called Gourdoughs. Actually, it’s an iconic food truck/trailer that’s parked in a stationary location. I could not wait to get my hands on one of their doughnuts.

blogherfood054

They have so many varieties on their menu:

The Funky Monkey

The Mother Clucker

The Naughty & Nice

The Flying Pig

That last one? That’s a doughnut the size of a dessert plate frosted with maple syrup and topped with bacon. You may remember that I made Bacon Maple Cinnamon Rolls a few months ago based on the Bacon Maple Bar at Voodoo Doughnut in Portland. I’m not saying which one is better, except that I wish I lived in Austin.

When a few of us decided to copycat some Gourdoughs doughnuts, I had the hardest time choosing which one to make. I wanted to make every single one. Finally, I decided on the Granny’s Pie…because well. It’s got pie in the name! I was so excited to try the Granny’s Pie doughnut and I was able to eat my way through it and several flavors at the Picmonkey PJ Party during the conference. OMG, I think I gained 25 pounds just that night!

Let me state: Gourdoughs doughnuts are the size of a dessert plate. I’m so not kidding. After eating my way through Austin last weekend (more about that to come in a few days!) I didn’t want a 6″ doughnut. So I made small ones instead. Then I can eat three.

These doughnuts are cheaters doughnuts. I used Pillsbury Biscuits (the small ones) but you can also use Grands. You simply cut out a hole in the center of each biscuit, heat some oil in a pot and fry the biscuits. Poof! Doughnuts!

And then, what makes these Granny’s Pie worthy are the toppings. Oh, the toppings.

The toppings are what makes a Gourdoughs doughnut. On top of these Banana Caramel Pecan (Granny’s Pie) Doughnuts are:

1. Cream Cheese Frosting – is there anything better?

2. Graham cracker crumbs – the crust!

3. Bananas

4. Pecans

5. Caramel ice cream topping

Now that’s a lot of toppings! The marriage of the caramel and banana and frosting and pecans is one of those party-in-your-mouth moments. If you’ve ever had Gourdoughs and are craving one…or if you’ve never been and want to try them…try these.

They won’t disappoint, I promise!

Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat}

Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat}

For the Doughnuts:
  • 1 can refrigerated biscuits (either small or large, 8-10 count)
  • Vegetable Oil, for frying
  • For the Frosting:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • For the Toppings:
  • 1 graham cracker sheet, smooshed to make crumbs (I used my hands)
  • 1 banana, sliced thin
  • Caramel ice cream topping (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
  • Chopped Pecans

1. Make your frosting: beat cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer in a large bowl. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until frosting comes together. Set aside.
  2. Fill a medium saucepan or dutch oven with oil so that it comes 2” up the sides. Heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees (I used a candy thermometer to measure it).
  3. While the oil is heating, line a cookie sheet with paper towels. Unwrap your biscuits and cut a hole in the center of each. Depending on the size of your biscuit you can use a small cookie cutter or the large end of an icing tip.
  4. Once the oil comes up to temperature, fry the doughnuts in batches. Place each doughnut in the oil, cook until the bottom is golden, flip with a spatula, and cook until the other side is golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove each doughnut from the oil carefully and place it on the cookie sheet. Let cool a few minutes before topping.
  5. Top doughnut: frost with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Top each doughnut with a few slices of banana then sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with caramel sauce. Serve immediately.

Want to check out some other Gourdough’s Doughnuts? Go see some of my friends today!

Gourdoughs Doughnuts Copcat Recipes

PB & J by Capturing Joy
Granny’s Pie by Crazy for Crust
Heavenly Hash by Something Swanky
The Carney (Apple Pie Doughnuts) by Shugary Sweets
The Flying Pig by The Novice Chef
Dirty Berry by Inside BruCrew Life
Bring the Heath by Mom on Timeout
Son of a Peach by Chef-in-Training
Mama’s Cake by The Domestic Rebel
The Mother Clucker by Oh Sweet Basil
Cherry Bombs by My Life as a Mrs.
The Funky Monkey by The Little Kitchen
The Baby Rattler by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Black Out Cupcakes {inspired by Gourdoughs} by Cookies & Cups
ODB by Sweet Treats and More
The Puddin’ by Lauren’s Latest
Naughty & Nice by Life’s Ambrosia
Miss Shortcake by Kevin & Amanda

Like Doughnuts? How about these…

Triple Mocha Donuts

Mocha Donuts

Chocolate Twist Donuts with Avocado Whipped Cream Filling

Avocado Donuts 1 words

Thanks for reading!

120 Responses to “Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat}”

1. Pingback: Copycat Gourdough's ODB Donut Holes

2. Pingback: Dirty Berry Doughnuts

3. Pingback: Apple Pie Doughnuts - Shugary Sweets

4. Tieghan posted on June 26, 2013 at 4:44 am (#)

HOLY MOLY, YES! These things look incredible!! wow!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Tieghan!

5. Pingback: Lauren's Latest » The Puddin’ Doughnut {Gourdough’s Copycat}

6. Pingback: Peanut Butter & Jelly Doughnut

7. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:01 am (#)

I want this one! Dang it, we are going back. Clearly we didn’t try enough doughnuts!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Right? Never enough!

8. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:23 am (#)

Oh, super yum! I’m so excited to click around and see everyone’s fabulous recipes :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Jennifer!

9. Pingback: "Son of a Peach" Donut-Gourdough's Copycat | Chef in Training

10. JulieD posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:46 am (#)

These are so cute!! Thanks for organizing this! I had so much fun doing this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Julie!

11. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:49 am (#)

I don’t have instagram, but my twitter was blowing up with pictures of donuts last weekend, and I definitely drooled everywhere. These look A.MAZ.ING. I may or may not have just arranged to go to Austin next month (from Michigan.) based on the “donuts the size of pies” thing alone :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I know. I want to do a similar trip… :)

12. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:52 am (#)

Bananas, graham crackers, caramel; doing this with all the other bloggers, both in person and then posting all about it – such a great thing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Averie!

13. Christina Gathright posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:56 am (#)

Ahhh! All these amazing looking donuts! Love it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks Christina!

14. Pingback: Baby Rattler (Worms & Dirt) Doughnuts -- Gourdough's Copycat

15. Ashton posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:02 am (#)

These look awesome Dorothy! Thank you for all of your hard work!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thanks Ashton!

16. Pingback: Heavenly Hash Donuts - Gourdoughs Copycat Recipe

17. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:10 am (#)

I wish I had tried this one!! They look so great!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Shelly!

18. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:14 am (#)

Yes I drooled! All over my phone! Now I am doing it again! I love love love caramel on just about anything!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

LOL Nancy! #storyofmylife

19. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:28 am (#)

Ohhh, this explains all the donut recipes on Pinterest. I love donuts and that these start with refrigerated biscuits! So much easier and with all those amazing toppings, no one will notice or care. I don’t! And these pictures, these are some of my favorites ever. You did an incredible job photographing them. Pinning them for the photos and the recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thank you Mary Frances! I was so happy these turned out good. :)

20. Cookbook Queen posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:46 am (#)

Does it get better than banana and caramel? Looks so great!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Thanks Kristan! :)

22. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on June 26, 2013 at 6:59 am (#)

I literally want to go to Austin for these donuts alone. They sound incredible!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I want to go back for the same reason! Thanks Faith!

23. Heather @ Sugar Dish Me posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:04 am (#)

These are so cute!!! Mini = more. Also– super great with the canned biscuit dough! Can’t wait to try these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks Heather! Enjoy!

24. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:07 am (#)

For some reason I want a scoop of ice cream with this doughnut – is that bad? Love how yours turned out Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

No, that sounds perfect. :) Thanks Trish!

25. Lauren posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:12 am (#)

My oh my do these sound divine!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks Lauren!

26. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:12 am (#)

Wow! These look absolutely incredible. Gourdoughs has the best doughnuts. PERIOD. Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yes, hands down. Thanks Kelly!

27. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:26 am (#)

Uhhhhh this kinda sorta blows my mind! I love that you chose a donut with a crust :) perfection!

And I only wish my grandma made awesome pies like this! Or donuts like this.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Tooootally. :) Thanks Hayley!

28. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:28 am (#)

Holy gorgeousness! This looks like something out of a dream!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Right? Thank you!

29. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:35 am (#)

Is it wrong I wanna go to Austin like…just for the donuts??

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Nope. I want to go back just for the Flying Pig. :)

30. Pingback: Strawberry Shortcake Doughnut Muffins | Kevin & Amanda's Recipes

31. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:54 am (#)

I just love banana and caramel together!! What an absolutely perfect looking doughnut…I’m ready to go back to Austin now for more of those glorious doughnuts!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Me too!! :)

32. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:54 am (#)

These are so darn cute!!!! Hey you dont have to feel guilty eating so many.. They have fruit and nuts.. thats healthy..lol

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Right? Fruit and protein!

33. Amanda @ Kevin & Amanda posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:13 am (#)

These look amazing Dorothy!! I could seriously take a bite out of one right now! Thank you so much for putting this together for us!! :) xoxo

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Amanda! :)

34. capturing joy with kristen duke posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

This looks so amazing and delicious!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Kristen!!

35. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Candied Maple Bacon Donut

36. Jessica - The Novice Chef posted on June 26, 2013 at 10:03 am (#)

I love how many of these donuts call for canned biscuits! Makes it so much easier to remake! These look fabulous! :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Jessica! I just didn’t have it in me to do from scratch!

37. Heather @ French Press posted on June 26, 2013 at 10:32 am (#)

you are all KILLING me…donuts are my favorite food ever, and I want to eat every single one of them

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thanks Heather!

38. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on June 26, 2013 at 11:19 am (#)

I love that you made these mini! And they’re so pretty! You guys are killing me with the donuts – I want one of each!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Me too! Thanks Ashley!

39. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on June 26, 2013 at 11:36 am (#)

OMG! These are insane! My mouth is watering just looking at these. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Jennifer! :)

40. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on June 26, 2013 at 12:35 pm (#)

What an amazing flavor combination for doughnuts! These are incredible!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Jessica!!

41. katie posted on June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm (#)

I’m loving all the copycat recipes!!! I can’t wait to give this recipe a try!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Katie! Enjoy!

42. Des @ Life's Ambrosia posted on June 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm (#)

Holy Moly. How did I not try this variety while I was in Austin?!? These look absolutely decadent, I think I’d eat 3 too ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I know, they are kind of insane. :) Thanks Des!

43. Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More posted on June 26, 2013 at 3:02 pm (#)

Oh man Dorothy, these look bomb!! Seriously, I love banana and caramel together!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Thanks kristy!

44. Tahnycooks posted on June 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm (#)

These sweet little doughnuts LOOK AMAZING! Drooling!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thank you! :) They are amazing!

45. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious posted on June 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm (#)

Dessert-plate sized donuts?! I’ll have to make a trip to austin just for these! And dude, these doughnut recreations are absolutely heavenly!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thank you! :)

46. Nessa posted on June 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

I think I need to move to Austin now! Or maybe next to you :)

47. Noble Pig - Cathy posted on June 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm (#)

I miss those doughnuts!

48. carrian posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

Thank you so much for your hard work and those look killer!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2013 at 6:47 am

Thanks Carrian!

49. Amy posted on June 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

Because they have bananas, they’re automatically healthy — right?? :D

I wish more donut stores around here made exotic flavors with fun toppings! I’m so used to the classic glazed, old-fashioned, or chocolate-with-sprinkles that I fail to realize how interesting other cities’ pastries can be. I want to go to Texas now! (Just maybe wait til the fall…)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2013 at 6:47 am

YES. I like your thinking girl!

• Amy replied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:54 am

I learned it all from my mom. ;)

50. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm (#)

LOVE your Granny’s Pie doughnuts, Dorothy! And, lovin’ all the Gourdoughs copycat doughnuts in my FACE today! Wish I could have met you in Austin, girl. Pinning to all group board possible! xo

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thanks Stacey! I think we all need to get together again just to meet more people!

51. Glory/ Glorious Treats posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:23 pm (#)

OOH, these look so good, I love the flavor combo here! I tried the Funky Monkey while in Austin and it was good… but this sound even better! Or maybe they all just sound good now that I’m too far away to eat them! Great meeting you in Austin, although far too short a meeting!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thanks Glory! It was great to meet you too. Such a small world that you’re close by!

52. Jackie posted on June 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm (#)

serious YUMMY time!

53. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on June 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm (#)

Loving all these copycat recipes!! And these are no exception! Yum :D

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 27th, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks Kiran!

54. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on June 27, 2013 at 1:05 pm (#)

holy YUM. Ahhhh.

55. ashley - baker by nature posted on June 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm (#)

This is like my dream doughnut!!! I can’t even believe how good it looks! Then again, YOU made it, so I can :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 28th, 2013 at 6:20 am

You’re sweet! Thanks Ashley!

56. Erika posted on June 28, 2013 at 7:38 am (#)

Omg this is my absolute FAVORITE flavor at Gourdough’s!!! I LOVE that combo of the banana, pecans, caramel and frosting…I think their cream cheese frosting is just the best I’ve ever had. So sugary and amazing!

Your rendition of Granny’s Pie looks so. freaking. amazing. Love it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:10 am

Thank you Erika! Those doughnuts were SO good. I’m dying for Gourdoughs still!

57. Yvonne @ bitter baker posted on June 28, 2013 at 9:47 am (#)

I always shy away from desserts with banans in them, because the bananas always tend to be baked or fried… and for some reason I can’t stand it. But these ones… Love the fact that you have the au naturelle!! I definitely would want a bite of this!! Or two :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:10 am

You’d need at least 5 bites. :) Because they’re so good!

58. Joy @ Baking-Joy posted on June 28, 2013 at 11:03 am (#)

These look totally gorgeous :-) I love banana and pecans together…am thinking a banana bread with pecans and chocolate soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Oh yes!! That’s a must!

59. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on June 28, 2013 at 11:15 am (#)

I need to arrange a donut party for all these wonderful creations! This combination sounds out of this world good.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Thanks Nicole!

60. Pingback: Funky Monkey Doughnut with Nutella – Gourdough’s Inspired Recipe | the little kitchen

61. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on July 21, 2013 at 4:47 pm (#)

I was totally the one drooling all over my phone screen. These look amazing!!!

Btw- I think comments may be disabled on your Bacardi Fudge recipe. Tried to comment but I couldn’t find the box…

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:39 pm

LOL, thank you! And yes, they are disabled there. It was for a sponsor, and that’s what they requested!

62. Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books posted on August 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm (#)

These look so delicious! I would have wanted alot of donuts from their menu!! =)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:12 am

Thanks Melissa!

63. Pingback: Peanut Butter Caramel Shortbread Bars {millionaire bars} - Crazy for Crust

64. Pingback: 16 Recipes made with Refrigerated Biscuits - Domestically Speaking

65. Pingback: Bring the Heath Doughnuts - Gourdough's Copycat - Mom On Timeout

66. Pingback: Cookies and Cups Blackout Cupcakes » Cookies and Cups

67. Pingback: The most delicious doughnuts - National Doughnut Week 10-17th May 2014 - Crafty Magpie

68. Pingback: Easy Lemon Donut Holes {two ways} - Crazy for Crust

69. Pingback: Homemade Dulce de Leche {slow cooker} - Crazy for Crust

70. Pingback: Donuts

71. Pingback: - Cake Bake & Sweets Show Sydney

72. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts - Crazy for Crust

73. Peter posted on September 7, 2014 at 2:20 am (#)

Mmmmmmm, I so Love you for this great and yummy donuts that I am going to try to make them. Thanks Dorothy