Apr 25

Watermelon Lemonade Margaritas with a kid-friendly version!

This Watermelon Lemonade Margarita is perfect for your summer BBQ or a Cinco de Mayo celebration! And the kids aren’t left out – they get a non-alcoholic version of Watermelon Lemonade!

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (5 of 6)w

I have never been late to school pick-up, not once in almost 3 years. More, if you count preschool. Until last Monday.

I had to run an errand before pick-up, and I left in plenty of time to make the round-trip. Until I hit every red light both directions and followed every single slow driver across my city, literally.

By the time I got to the school, I had less than one minute until the bell. Of course, at this point there was no parking, so I ended up a block away. As I was getting out of my car, I heard the bell ring.

Now, Jordan’s class always gets out late. Always. But, you know it’s Murphy’s Law: the one time I’m late I figured she’d end up out early and be standing there, crying, because I “forgot” her. And the other moms at pick-up would wonder what shopping line I got stuck in or if my computer ate me or something (not all of them, just the ones that think I play internet games all day and eat bon bons on my couch).

I muttered an obscenity under my breath and did what any sane, rational person would do. I removed the thought-they-were-cute-at-the-time brown wedge sandals I was wearing and ran, barefoot, sprinter style all the way down the block, across the street while waving my arms to stop cross traffic, and over to the second grade classroom waiting area, where Jordan was nowhere in sight, still in her classroom.

And there I was, panting and sweaty from my second workout, waiting when she came out. I dusted off my feet and put my shoes back on. I made it in time. I wasn’t late. No harm, no foul.

Until we got home later that afternoon and I could barely walk. You know, from the sunburn the bottoms of my feet got from my barefoot sprint.

I don’t know about you, but all that calls for a Margarita. Yes?

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (1 of 6)w

And because my kid wants one of everything I make, regardless if she’s allowed because it’s “for adults only”, I made her a kid-friendly (and non-drinker friendly) version.

You start the recipe with a seedless watermelon. Please, I beg of you – buy a seedless one. The first time I made these I didn’t. Do you know how long it takes to de-seed a seeded watermelon? A long, looooong time.

Cut up your watermelon and add it to a blender. Run the blender until it’s completely pureed. Pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze. This can be done several days in advance. I like to keep cubes in my freezer in case the urge for a margarita hits at random.

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (3 of 6)

In the warmer months, I almost always have lemonade on hand, either a carton, freshly made, or my old standby: Crystal Light. You can make these drinks with whatever lemonade you have or like.

The margarita has the usual suspects: tequila and triple sec (orange liqueur). But it also has one of my absolute favorite liquors in it: midori. Midori is that green liquid in the liquor section – otherwise known as melon liqueur or melon schnapps. I love me a Midori Martini. Sometime I’ll make that for you. And tell you a really good story.

You blend the frozen watermelon cubes with the liqueurs, some lime juice, and lemonade and you get an amazing Watermelon Lemonade Margarita. These aren’t too strong (feel free to add more tequila if you like your drinks to punch you in the face) but they hit you all at once. Like, it tastes like juice and all of a sudden you realize…it’s not.

And never fear – if you don’t drink or your kids beg you for a margarita when you drink one, I’ve got you covered. Leave out the alcohol, blend up the watermelon with lime juice and lemonade and you will have your favorite lemonade yet. Seriously, it was SO good. Jordan couldn’t get enough of it!

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (2 of 6)

And after my school yard sprint, neither could I!

Watermelon Lemonade & Watermelon Margaritas

Watermelon Lemonade & Watermelon Margaritas

• 4 cups watermelon puree (from 1 small seedless watermelon), frozen into cubes
  • For each Lemonade, kid-friendly (serves 2)
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 cup lemonade
  • 2/3 cup frozen watermelon cubes
  • For each Margarita (serves 1)
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 ounce tequila
  • 1/2 ounce triple sec (orange liqueur)
  • 1/2 ounce midori
  • 4 ounces lemonade (I used Minute Maid 15 calorie from a carton, use what you like)
  • 2/3 cup frozen watermelon cubes

1. Cut the seedless watermelon into chunks, remove the rind, and puree in a blender. I used a mini watermelon and got 4 cups of puree. You can use a bigger watermelon, if you want! Pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze, a few hours or overnight.
  2. To make a kid-friendly lemonade: Place lemonade, lime juice, and frozen watermelon cubes in a blender and puree until smooth. Serves 2.
  3. To make margarita: Place lemonade, all alcohols, and frozen watermelon cubes into a blender and puree until smooth. Makes 1 large or 2 small margaritas.

Check these out:

Candy Cane Martini

Candy Cane Infused Vodka by www.crazyforcrust.com

Sopapilla Cheesecake Hand Pies

sopapilla-cheesecake-hand-pies (1 of 4)w

Jalapeno Infused Bloody Mary by Wine and Glue
Snickers Martini Cocktail by The Slow Roasted Italian
Avocado Margarita Recipe by Cookin’ Canuck
Skinny Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie by Something Swanky

98 Responses to “Watermelon Lemonade Margaritas with a kid-friendly version!”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm (#)

Omg that sounds so good right now! What are the odds we both post booze recipes on the same day? Clearly, a good for the weekend :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Right? We’re on the same wavelength today… :)

2. lisa@cookingwithcurls posted on April 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm (#)

Yummy! I just made Watermelon Margaritas last week :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

They’re so good. :) Thanks Lisa!

3. Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads posted on April 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm (#)

Great recipe. It sounds so refreshing!

4. Megan @ megbakes posted on April 25, 2013 at 3:12 pm (#)

I’m glad you made it to pickup before Jordan got out of class. Also, I love the sound of this drink. I can’t wait to try it.

5. Sweet As A Cookie posted on April 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm (#)

This looks and sounds amazing! YUM!

6. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on April 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm (#)

You have my favorite drink ingredient in this beauty – Midori! Can’t wait to try this out…makes me want to run to the store for a watermelon right this second!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

You, me, and Hayley need to have a Midori party… :)

7. Megan @ The Pink Flour posted on April 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

Yum! I can just picture myself poolside with one of these in my hand :) I like how you froze the watermelon puree instead of using ice cubes – so smart!

8. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on April 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

hahaha! I’m so not laughing at you, but with you right now because I am late almost every.single.day to get my kids at school. I always leave at the last possible second and then hit red lights and grandpa drivers. Maybe if I had these yummy drinks waiting for me at home, it would persuade me to go earlier so I could come home and have one (or two) :-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:29 pm

LOL, luckily I’m max 5 minutes from the house. So I don’t have an excuse on a regular day. :)

10. Shiloh Barkley posted on April 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm (#)

With, please! ;)

11. Becca from ItsYummi.com posted on April 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm (#)

OMGosh… I was panting and sweating right along with you, Dorothy! I could tell you stories about how many times my alcoholic father was late picking me up, but what the heck… let’s just have a drink, shall we? :)

By the way, I have HUGE plans for this beverage. Pampered Chef just came out with a drink rimmer! I can see sparkly sugar all over the rim of that glass! YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Okay, I am laughing at your comment…although that’s probably not too appropriate? And a rimmer would be great. I tried green sugar and, well. It didn’t work out so well… :)

12. Tieghan posted on April 25, 2013 at 6:16 pm (#)

OMG! Girl you are the best mom ever! My mom was ALWAYS late. ALWAYS! Your story made me smile! Way to go you!

These are so delicious looking! What a fun drink! I love the color!

13. Heather @ French Press posted on April 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

I NEED one now!! only I don’t have a watermelon:( what an awesome drink. I’m all for the mandatory 5pm happy hour at home

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I bet it would be awesome with strawberries… just sayin’ you know. In case you needed a marg right now. :)

14. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on April 25, 2013 at 7:05 pm (#)

These are so cute! Watermelon just doesn’t get the attention it deserves. And in a margarita? Yes please.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 25th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Yes, anything in a margarita is good for me! Thanks Aimee!

15. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on April 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm (#)

I could totally picture your running!I would do the same thing and when Jordan’s class was not out late- well let’s just say I LOL because that would totally happen to me! And yes a marg is needed!!

16. LIsa @ Wine & Glue posted on April 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm (#)

Lol! I laughed out loud like a crazy person when I read the line “if you like your drinks to punch you in the face” Did you write that with me in mind?? Also, were Gavin and Jordan separated at birth? I have never been late, and yet, you would think if you talked to him about pick up that it is always a small possibility. Oh child of little faith. These look awesome!! Can’t wait to try them!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 26th, 2013 at 6:13 am

LOL Lisa! I think Gavin and Jordan need to be friends. :)

17. Kim Beaulieu posted on April 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm (#)

Seriously yummy, I love a good lemonade. I’m addicted to the crystal light single packets right now. Always drinking the pom or pink one with my water.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 26th, 2013 at 6:12 am

I am so addicted to those packets too!! Love them!

18. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on April 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm (#)

I love watermelon. I love margaritas. And I REALLY love midori. A midori sour was the first drink I ordered when I turned 21 (um, I might have had one or two before then ;-) ). This turned out so pretty, Dorothy!

I’m panicked every day I have to pick up my kiddo that I’ll be late…my work is a good 25 minutes away, on the complete opposite side of town. So far, it’s worked out, but I’m thinking I need to have some of these drinks ready and waiting…just in case.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 26th, 2013 at 6:11 am

Yes I think you do! Thanks Ashley!

19. Anne ~ Uni Homemaker posted on April 25, 2013 at 11:53 pm (#)

Yum, I love the sound of this drink. So refreshing and pretty! I adore watermelon juice so I know I’ll love this.

20. tanya posted on April 26, 2013 at 4:58 am (#)

Wow, that day does indeed require a margarita!!! At least you weren’t late huh? I love the watermelon flavor! And thank goodness it’s Friday cuz these will be part of my happy hour!

21. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and veggies posted on April 26, 2013 at 5:31 am (#)

I’ve had a long week, I could definitely use a margarita! Michigan hasn’t gotten the memo that it’s supposed to be warm, so I love the summery flavors to make me feel like I live somewhere else ;-)

My mom was late picking me up all. the. time. If you’re late, she’ll get over it. Can’t be supermom 100% of the time!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 26th, 2013 at 6:04 am

Yes, Michigan needs to get the memo!! :) Thanks Kelly!

22. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on April 26, 2013 at 6:11 am (#)

TGIF! I’m loving this cocktail. It looks so refreshing and just what I could use to kick off my weekend after a long week. Cheers! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 28th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I hope you had a great weekend!

23. Jackie posted on April 26, 2013 at 8:16 am (#)

We need to make these at our next moms night out! they sound scrumptious!

24. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on April 26, 2013 at 9:11 am (#)

Looks delicious!!! Perfect cocktail for a warm afternoon!!!

BTW. We went to the fabric store yesterday and bought this fabric to use in one of our recipe photos and its reminds us sooo much of your banner. Its a banner of little flags. Each row is a different color.. So cute!!! Well let u know when we post the recipe so u can see it.. We are sure you will love it.

25. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on April 26, 2013 at 10:23 am (#)

Haha you sound like how my mom was during pick up time. She always so scared of being late, rightly so though because the one time she was, I did in fact cry. Yeesh kids and they’re dramatics. These watermelon lemonade margaritas are made for happy hour fridays!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 28th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I still remember when my dad lost track of time and forgot. So I’m so scared of being late! Thanks Nicole!

26. Kathy posted on April 26, 2013 at 11:03 am (#)

The lemonade version sounds wonderful! Love watermelon and I can never get enough of it during the summer! Looking forward to trying this!

27. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on April 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm (#)

You definitely deserved a drink that day, my friend. And now, I would need one (or two!) myself :D

28. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on April 27, 2013 at 8:44 am (#)

This sounds delicious! I love watermelon and since I’m not a big drinker, the non-alcoholic version is calling my name! The warmer weather calls for a drink like this! :)

29. Aly posted on April 27, 2013 at 9:03 am (#)

Great for summer parties!

30. Cindy Harris posted on April 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm (#)

What a beautiful refreshing looking photo! Thanks for the non alcohol version.We do not drink but this looks so yummy. I can’t wait to try it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 28th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Cindy! I love the lemonade, it’s so refreshing!

31. Pingback: Weekend Web Findings + Protein Berry Bowl | Happy Food, Healthy Life

32. Sheila posted on April 28, 2013 at 9:29 am (#)

I love your story and the definite need for a margarita! My son is also always wanting me to make him a “kid” version of an adult drink — love this recipe!

33. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on April 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm (#)

I can’t believe you just posted this! You are like a mind reader. When I was at Sam’s Club on Friday, they were giving out samples of watermelon lemonade and it was soooo good! I mean so good! I am really excited to try making it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 28th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Yay! I hope you like it! Thanks Tonia!

34. Joan@Chocolate and More posted on April 28, 2013 at 8:04 pm (#)

Dorothy, both of these drinks sound so good, I can’t wait for watermelon season, so many refreshing ways to use them!

35. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on April 29, 2013 at 4:21 pm (#)

I don’t ever remember being left as a kid, but I know that on my first day of high school, I had a HORRRRRIBLE day and was SO eager when the final bell rang and I walked out to my grandma’s car. But.. she wasn’t there. And fifteen minutes later, she wasn’t there. Aaaand after calling her repeatedly, she didn’t answer. So I ended up walking home in the blistering heat crying from my crap day when she found me like, a block from my house and was really apologetic but still, I was like, I deserve a virgin margarita for this grandma. I still do. I am clearly still traumatized.

These look AWWWWEEESOME. Can we have some soon!? RHOC viewing party with drinks?! I promise not to throw wine in your face and call you Jesus Jugs.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

LOL! I remember the one time my dad forgot me like it was yesterday. Thanks Hayley!

36. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on April 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm (#)

Yum, Yum, Yum……. I can’t wait to try this!

37. Rose, happy home making posted on April 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm (#)

Hi, thank you for this recipe. I think i can just handle the complexity of this recipe. sounds divine!

38. Lauren @ A Nerd Cooks posted on April 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm (#)

These look so good! I love the idea of having the frozen cubes stashed in the freezer at all times. Can’t wait to try it out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I love that idea too Lauren – it’s so convenient! Thank you!

39. Pingback: Watermelon Lemonade by crazyforcrust.com | Perfect for a Cinco de Mayo party! | Dreamy Blog

40. Kinsley @ Home | Styled posted on May 1, 2013 at 9:28 am (#)

Good morning Dorothy! I found your post at Lil’ Luna’s link party! This is such a great recipe idea and it’s definitely a must-try! I would like to invite you to my party to link up this recipe for others to see! http://home-styled.blogspot.com/2013/04/link-party-show-your-style-sunday-5.html

41. Carolyn posted on May 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm (#)

Wow, girl, now that is a flavour for a margarita. Pass me one, would ya?

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 4th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I wish! I want another one right now. :)

42. Pingback: Pinterest Finds – Fun Summer Drinks

43. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on May 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm (#)

You’re a good mom. My mom was late all the time! I think that’s why I am a nazi about being on time as an adult. These are beautiful. I love that you made a kid version!

44. Pingback: 100 Most Irresistible Seasonal Recipes with Summer Fruit | Sensual AppealSensual Appeal

45. Pingback: Cold Drink Recipes

46. Pingback: 30+ Vegetarian Summer Recipes - Je suis alimentageuse

47. Pingback: Watermelon Granita and Lemonade | fudgingahead

48. Pingback: COCO & MINGO:week-end: What's up and link it up - COCO & MINGO

49. Pingback: Watermelon Margaritas | the best recipes ever

50. how to get the best car insurance for teenagers posted on December 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm (#)

Wow tuat ωwas odd. I just wrote an ѵery long comment but
    after I clicked ѕubmit my commеnt didn’t appear. Grrrr…
    well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

51. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo: Pink Drinks | My Blog

52. Pingback: Five on Friday - watermelon - A little moment

53. sports medicine posted on April 2, 2014 at 10:50 pm (#)

This is great for people located overseas who still seek
    to learn from an American institution no matter where they are.
    Centennial apprenticeship courses focus on turning students into skilled professionals in the transportation field, one of
    Canada’s largest industries. *Bachelors Degree in Fire and Emergency Management- The
    adventurous desire of growing up to be a firefighter can be made a reality by enrolling
    under this program by Kaplan University.

54. Pingback: The ULTIMATE Cinco de Mayo Party Guide

55. Virginia G posted on May 1, 2014 at 11:38 pm (#)

I’m asking this out of genuine curiousity, so please help me out. If you’re going to cut the watermelon into cubes, blend them, then freeze them back into cubes, can you just freeze the initial watermelon pieces instead? They’re pretty much water anyway, right? Anyway, I’m going to try to make this for Cinco de Mayo if I can find a seedless watermelon in South Korea! Gotta love those Americans celebrating Mexican holidays in Korea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 2nd, 2014 at 6:34 am

You totally could Virginia, if you don’t mind the pulp. The blending then re-freezing was so I could strain out all the pulpy bits. It also depends on your blender. Back when I made this I had a blender that didn’t work very well, so I was never guaranteed that all the lumps would be out and white seeds would be dissolved (hence the straining, etc). Now I use a blendtec and it pretty much pulverizes everything, so straining wouldn’t be needed. :)

• Virginia G replied on May 7th, 2014 at 12:47 am

Thanks for the reply! I didn’t see a step about straining in your directions, so I didn’t realize that’s what you were doing. We have a Vitamix, so we just froze the watermelon cubes. Unfortunately, they stuck together, so it took a bit of patience to get them far enough down that the blender could do its magic. Anyway, our proportions of lemonade to watermelon were slightly off, but it was still fun and delicious for all of us non-drinkers! Thanks!

56. Pingback: 20+ Lemonade Recipes