Feb 10

Red Hots Muddy Buddies

Looking for an easy, fast treat for your Valentine? Red Hots Muddy Buddies are the perfect blend of spicy and sweet!

Red-Hots-Muddy-Buddies 2 words

I’m Red Hot For You Valentine!

Oh Valentine, You Make Me Sizzle.

Valentine, You’re Spicy Sweet!

Okay, sorry. I couldn’t resist. I mean, it’s a Red Hots treat for Valentine’s Day, after all. Believe me, I had a lot more sayings. None of them entirely appropriate for a food blog, either. Ahem.

Have you seen all the muddy buddies (aka puppy chow) around blogland lately? I’ve been inspired! But, with all the inspiration, I had the hardest time coming up with a flavor to make. And then I had it: Red Hots! The ultimate Valentine candy! Well, at least, I remember them being Valentine Candy. Now, you know, they aren’t. And, I guess they aren’t very popular, because I had to go to three stores to find them. (FYI, Walmart and Walgreens carry them, in boxes, movie-theatre style.)

I’m not a huge Red Hots fan; they are too strong for me. So I wondered what would happen when I made these into muddy buddies. And I was very happy with the result!

Red-Hots-Muddy-Buddies 3 words

These are so simple to make. First, you need to crush your Red Hots. I didn’t do this for my first batch and they didn’t melt very much. So, put them in a plastic bag and whack away with a glass. Just be sure to put the bag on a paper plate first – holes appear quickly and you don’t want to clean Red Hot dust out of your grout.

Then you simply melt candy melts and the red hots together with a bit of oil. Be sure to stir it often – the candy hardens quick. Spread the melted mixture over Chex mix, shake it in powdered sugar, and you’re done! Just be sure to pull out any Red Hots that didn’t melt all the way before serving – you don’t want anyone to break a tooth!

The sweetness of the vanilla candy cuts the cinnamon flavor quite a bit. You get a hint of cinnamon, and mingled with the sweetness, this is quite a tasty treat.

Red-Hots-Muddy-Buddies 4 words

So you can serve it up to your Valentine and say, “I think you’re Red Hot!”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Red Hots Muddy Buddies

Red Hots Muddy Buddies

• 4 ounces vanilla flavored almond bark or candy melts
  • 3 1/2 cups Chex cereal
  • 1/3 cup Red Hots, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 cup powdered sugar

1. Place Chex in a large bowl. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place powdered sugar in a large zip-top plastic bag.
  2. You can crush your Red Hots in a plastic bag. Place the bag on a paper plate and bash the bag with the bottom of a glass.
  3. Place candy melts, oil, and Red Hots in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 2 minutes, stirring well every 30 seconds. The Red Hots will stick to the side of the bowl so be sure to scrape it when you stir.
  4. Once candy has melted together (there will still be small pieces of Red Hots evident in the candy) pour it over the Chex and stir well. Pour the cereal in the plastic bag. Seal (be sure it’s sealed) and shake vigorously, to coat all the cereal with powdered sugar. Turn out onto cookie sheet and let cool. Pick out any whole Red Hots before serving. Those are too hard to chew!

Notes

I found my Red Hots at Walgreens. They also have them at Walmart.

More snack ideas for your Valentine:

Zebra Popcorn

zebra popcorn 2 words

Oreo Crust Mix

Sweets from Friends:
Nutella Almond Muddy Buddies by Something Swanky
Cookie Butter Muddy Buddies by Kristin’s kNook
Mocha Cappuccino Puppy Chow by Inside BrewCrew Life

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

71 Responses to “Red Hots Muddy Buddies”

1. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on February 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm (#)

These look so good Dorothy. I love how they’re quite spicy too. I can’t handle spicy things myself (I’m coming around to ‘warming’) LOL but the giant man-baby would love these.

Such a pity we don’t get the Chex or the Red Hots. Maybe I could just use something similar (wholewheat cereal) and throw in a Jalapeño, that’ll blow his socks off. :D

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Lisa! The cinnamon is definitely muted in these, perfect for me! My husband would probably put tapatio sauce (like tabasco) on them if I let him…

2. Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} posted on February 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

Wow, I can honestly say I’ve never seen Red Hots Muddy Buddies before, way to get creative and think outside the box! This would make a fantastic treats for someone who loves cinnamon.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Anna! And they aren’t too strong at all! :)

4. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes posted on February 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm (#)

This sounds insanely crazy delish!

5. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm (#)

OH my goodness…what a fun Muddy Buddy flavor! This is absolutely perfect for Valentines! I love how fun and creative this is! I’m not a huge fan of red hots unless it is in something like this and toned down!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Same here – and this did the trick! :) Thanks Jocelyn!

6. Kristin posted on February 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm (#)

I want to believe you when you say they’re tasty. I really do. But when I see Red Hots used in desserts..I just can’t handle it. However, I think bloggers are super creative for coming up with desserts using Red Hots (of all the things!)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

These are not strong at all – the flavor is so muted! I’m NOT a red hots fan, but I ate buckets of this! :)

7. Rita posted on February 10, 2013 at 6:44 pm (#)

Love this twist on the Muddy Buddies!

8. Diana Rambles posted on February 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm (#)

YUMMY! I want some now!!!

9. Liz posted on February 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm (#)

Love Red Hots – right up my alley! I have yet to try Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow….hmm?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 6:46 am

You must try! The original version is also quite tasty (pb and chocolate!)

10. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on February 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm (#)

Ha ha, no way I just made some rice krispy treats using red hots today! I guess it’s the season :) These look so good. I Love muddy buddies, I could eat that whole bowl myself! Now I know what I’m going to do with my leftover red hots!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 6:44 am

Oh, yum! I’m now in love with red hots in things…instead of by themselves!

11. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on February 11, 2013 at 3:20 am (#)

You know I love these Dorothy. :) I bet this would be good with Cinnamon flavored Chex cereal!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 6:38 am

I know! I was scared to try it, in case it was too strong. But the flavor was muted, so I think that would be good!

12. Michelle posted on February 11, 2013 at 3:39 am (#)

Yum! Love the contrast with the red hots!

13. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:23 am (#)

LOL I used to love red hots, we had contests to see who could put the most in their mouth at one time. Now in this version, it would probably taste way better.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 6:36 am

It totally does! We had those competitions too – with fireballs. *shudder*

14. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on February 11, 2013 at 6:53 am (#)

My husband loves red hots but I’m not a huge fan. . .I think I could get into eating them in this, though!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I’m not a huge fan of them straight either, but these were really good! :) Thanks Jessica!

15. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on February 11, 2013 at 7:25 am (#)

mmm I love the taste of red hots now as an adult. This would be fabulous!

16. Susan posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:14 am (#)

What a great idea for a snack! We had a machine in culinary school that would coat anything in chocolate, white or dark and I loved making up toppings. Your technique makes it look easy, XOXO

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I want one of those machines! LOL :)

17. Karly posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:19 am (#)

Oh my word. I haven’t had Red Hots in yearrrrrrs! Love this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Neither had I! I need to bake with them more. :) Thanks Karly!

18. carrian posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:25 am (#)

My kiddos will go crazy for this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Mine sure did! Thanks so much!

19. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 11, 2013 at 10:11 am (#)

I definitely remember red hots being a valentines day candy, but now that you mention it– I haven’t seen any yet this year! I tried to buy snow caps last week, too, and had to go ALL OVER to find them! *rant over* I love red hots and puppy chow, so this sounds like an epic combo :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I remember my mom buying bagsful and eating them. Weird! Thanks Kelly!

20. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry posted on February 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm (#)

I hated red hots when I was little but now I love them. And this puppy chow is perfect for Valentines Day. If only for the sole reason to say “I think your red hot”

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I know, right?? Thanks Nicole!

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 11, 2013 at 2:16 pm (#)

that is a perfect flavor for the Red Hot Love Day! =) Thanks for linking at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s!

22. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on February 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm (#)

Everyone in my house loves red hots–straight up! :-) This sounds so good, Dorothy!

23. Michelle posted on February 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm (#)

Dorothy, I LOVE Red Hots! These Muddy Buddies are a must make for me :) Thanks for sharing!
    Michelle

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 12th, 2013 at 6:21 am

Thanks Michelle! I cannot. stop. eating them. :)

24. Brenda posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:29 am (#)

What a great idea! I never would have thought of using red hots … great flavor combo :)

25. Hannah posted on February 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm (#)

This is genius! I love Red Hots and never would have thought to use them in muddy buddies. Thanks!

26. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm (#)

OMG. I super heart red hots. But sometimes, admittedly, I think they’re way too hot (also, admittedly, sometimes I’m a wimp). But muddy buddies sound like the perf solution to taming the heat and smothering more stuff in powdered sugar :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2013 at 6:32 am

It totally tones them down. I am addicted to these, and I can’t even eat regular red hots. I guess aging changes things – I used to live on fireballs when I was a kid…

27. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm (#)

Beautiful pictures! And I love red hots mixed with other sweets. The extra sugar takes that nasty “bite” out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 13th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Totally! They are just the right amount of cinnamony. :)

28. Chrissy posted on February 14, 2013 at 7:49 am (#)

Oh!! This looks amazing!! I am in love with your site! You have so many delicious things! Would you consider linking this and anything else you want to share, over at my Pinterest Power party?

Thanks!
    Chrissy

29. Deirdre posted on February 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm (#)

what a fun twist on a classic- we’d love for you to join us on the photo friday linky party. happy weekend!

30. Nadia posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:58 am (#)

mmm, they r so sweety on pictures )

31. Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life posted on February 18, 2013 at 9:56 am (#)

YUM! I love the cute little sayings you came up with…maybe I can make this next year with a printed tag! So fun!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

That would be yummy! I am craving them now. :)

32. Jess posted on February 20, 2013 at 6:13 am (#)

I can’t wait to make these! Every V-day there is a standing order in my house for Red Hot Rice Krispie Treats, and now I can’t wait to add this to V-day recipes. Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 21st, 2013 at 5:54 am

Yay! I really, really liked this mix, way more than I thought I would!

33. Pingback: Cream Cheese & Carrot Cake Muddy Buddies - Something Swanky

34. Pingback: 15+ Muddy Buddies Recipe Variations

35. Pingback: 22 Valentine’s Day Desserts

36. Pingback: 75 Puppy Chow Recipes

37. Pingback: 25 Muddy Buddy Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff

38. Pingback: Muddy Buddies Recipe

39. Pingback: Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies - Crazy for Crust

40. Nickie posted on January 18, 2014 at 10:29 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! I stumbled onto your blog and I am LOVING it! In fact I loved your Red Hots Muddy Buddies recipe so much that I featured it on my blog’s ” Top 15 Valentine’s Day Treats”. I am a HUGE fan of anything sweet and spicy so I was SO excited to find your recipe! I can’t wait to make it! Anyways If you’d like to check out the post you can find it here:
    Happy Weekend!

41. Chris posted on February 4, 2014 at 12:10 pm (#)

I’m curious how these turned out for the rest of you because I was disappointed with what I ended up with. I started trying to crush my Red Hots on the counter and made so much noise and shook everything I moved to the floor. There I proceeded to tear through the baggie I had them in (surrounded by a newspaper), and decided to try the food processor. That made just as much if not more noise than before. I finally got to where I had had enough and went with the pieces that I had. Most of them were a quarter of the size of the original candy so I thought that would be small enough. But when they were mixed in with the chocolate and then onto the cereal, the red hot bits mostly just ended up coated on their own, not stuck to the cereal. My sister in law suggested freezing them the next time, perhaps I’ll put them in a cloth bag of some kind or maybe I’ll just stock up on cinnamon candy canes after Christmas.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:43 am

Yes, I remember they were quite hard to crush! I mentioned putting them on a paper plate or something in the post, because they do rip some holes in the bag. I just whacked and whacked until they were some chunks, some crushed. It was a good workout. :) Freezing might be a good trick – I’ll have to try that next time. And I love the cinnamon candy cane idea!