Jan 06

Mountain Bars

Mountain Bars

Chances are, unless you live in Washington state, you have no clue what a Mountain Bar is. Let me enlighten you!

Mountain Bars are made by a company you may have heard of, Brown & Haley. They make that little candy bar called Almond Roca. They used to sell Mountain Bars all over the place (at least in California), but I haven’t seen them in years. My mom loved them when I was a kid, and I always remember the little blue wrappers in her candy stash.

I had an uncle who lived in Tacoma, just outside Seattle, where Brown & Haley is. They have this little teeny store under a freeway overpass where you can buy their candy in bulk. My uncle would come stay with us for two weeks every summer and he would always have a case of Mountain Bars (that is a lot of candy!) in his luggage along with his “borrowed” hotel towels. I would eat handfuls and handfuls of Mountain Bars, until I was sick from them.

Memories…

Mountain Bars

A mountain bar is a candy bar that looks like a mountain. The outside shell was milk chocolate  with finely chopped peanuts and the inside was pure sugary vanilla heaven. Almost like a vanilla nougat, but a little smoother.

I have been wanting to make Mountain Bars for my mom forever. This Christmas I decided to give it a go, and I’m so glad I did. These are really easy to make, even though they have a few steps.

The center is a candy made of butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. It’s really a soft nougat that I could have eaten with a spoon.

And then it’s dredged in chocolate mixed with peanuts. Could there be anything better?

Even if you’ve never heard of a Mountain Bar before, you need these in your life. Or, if you’re lucky and live in Tacoma, drive down to that little offramp and get a box for me, mmkay?

Mountain Bars

Oh, and they make a peanut butter version of Mountain Bar too. Stand by…

Mountain Bars

Mountain Bars

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (from a 14 ounce can)
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 bag chocolate melts or almond bark (12 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts

1. Beat butter, vanilla, salt, and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl with an electric or hand mixer. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until mixture comes together. You should be able to form balls of candy that hold together.
  2. Drop tablespoon sized balls (rolled) onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill until ready to use, at least 30 minutes.
  3. When ready to make candy, line a new cookie sheet with wax paper. Melt your chocolate according to package directions. If it’s cold in your kitchen, it might be helpful to line an electric griddle with an old kitchen towel on low heat (about 200 degrees) and place the bowl of melted candy on top. It keeps the candy warm for you.
  4. Place 1 teaspoon of chocolate evenly spaced on the prepared cookie sheet, one for each ball of candy you made. Spread it slightly. Place a rolled ball of candy in the center of each teaspoon of chocolate.
  5. Mix the chopped peanuts into the remaining chocolate. Cover each ball of candy with 1-2 teaspoons of peanutty chocolate. Use your spoon to spread it so that the chocolate top meets the bottom under the ball, to seal. Chill to harden.

Like Candy Recipes? Check out my Candy Pinboard or these sweet copycat treats:

100 Grand Fudge

100 Grand Fudge

Almond Joy Mountains

Almond Joy Mountains

Homemade Twix by Miss Candiquik
Biscoff KitKats by The Domestic Rebel
BoBerry Biscuits Copycat by Something Swanky

Thanks for reading!

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

109 Responses to “Mountain Bars”

1. Ellen@Bake It With Booze posted on January 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm (#)

WOW! I think I need these with my morning coffee, my friend. Vanilla nugget fan here…And, I wait on pins and needles for the peanut butter version, mkay? :)

2. Pingback: Mountain Bars - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm (#)

You’re right! I’ve never heard of these little nuggets of goodness before but they look to die forrrr

4. Shannon @ Searching For Dessert posted on January 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm (#)

I live on the east coast and have never heard of these. I should definitely try them though, they sound delicious! I’m very much looking forward the peanut butter version since we buy peanut butter in bulk in this house :)

• crazyforcrust replied on January 6th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I think I need to make them sooner rather than later!

5. Kristy posted on January 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

I just found out a week ago that no one knows what Almond Roca is over here in NYC. I almost slapped my fiance in the mouth when I asked him if we could get some and he gave me a blank stare. Flabbergasted! I miss having Almond Roca on cookie trays at Christmas and Mountain Bars at gas stations. I’m homesick just thinking of the package with the mountain in the background. Going to make these soon! Thanks for posting!

• crazyforcrust replied on January 6th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Didn’t know what Almond Roca was? OMG that’s crazy! ;) I’m glad to have brought you a memory of home!

• janis replied on April 17th, 2013 at 9:27 am

What a great memory! We used to stop at that little store when we visited my grandparents in Olympia….and we bought lots (boxes of them) of the mountain bar “seconds”. You’re right, you could buy any of their candy in bulk. I also found when I moved to Minnesota, that nobody knew what Almond Roca was…poor deprived people!! Now I make lots of it at Christmas for everyone here, and they LOVE it! Remember the slogan, Brown and Haley- makes em daily! I also liked the cherry ones, but the plain vanilla are the best. Can’t wait to try these! Thanks from my Mom too! Am going to try these today!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 17th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Yay! Thanks Janis, I’m glad I brought back some memories for you. I hope you like them!

6. Pamela posted on January 6, 2013 at 5:27 pm (#)

Never heard of them, but your copy cat recipe looks YUMMY! I wish I could eat one right now!

7. Kristin posted on January 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm (#)

I think I’d be happy to eat that filling with a spoon :) I love the Easter eggs (like Russell Stover ones) with different flavored fillings, and that’s what this reminds me of (Oh, how did I just think of Easter in January!)

• crazyforcrust replied on January 7th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Yes, I did eat some of it that way, lol. Easter eggs sound like a perfect vessel… :)

8. Heather @French Press posted on January 6, 2013 at 6:28 pm (#)

Well, I have never heard of mountain Bars, but they look like a candy I would LOVE!

9. Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats posted on January 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

Just found your blog! These look great!

10. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on January 6, 2013 at 8:11 pm (#)

I have never heard of mountain bars before but you are right, I definitely need these in my life!

11. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on January 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm (#)

I haven’t heard of Mountain Bars before, but I’ve never met a chocolate candy I don’t like. These look awesome, Dorothy!

12. Erin @ Making Memories posted on January 6, 2013 at 8:23 pm (#)

I remember Mountain Bars. Oh man, trip down memory lane! The vanilla ones were my favorite! I can’t wait yo make these. Yeah! Thanks so much!

• crazyforcrust replied on January 7th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Thanks Erin! I’m glad they triggered a memory for you. :)

13. Shiloh Barkley posted on January 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm (#)

These sound wonderful! Whoa. Thanks.

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 7, 2013 at 4:33 am (#)

I have never heard of Mountain Bars, but boy do I want to meet one! Vanilla nougat center, chocolate peanut topping…it all sounds awesome!!!

15. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 7, 2013 at 5:41 am (#)

I have never heard of those, but I am in Canada, we never get the good treats here right? They sound yummy though.

16. Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik posted on January 7, 2013 at 6:00 am (#)

These sound heavenly!! I haven’t heard of them, which is surprising – maybe I missed them in CO? We always had bear paws though, definitely a CO thing..Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to try these!
    P.s. Thanks for sharing my link :)

• crazyforcrust replied on January 7th, 2013 at 6:26 am

You’re welcome! I heart copycat candy! :)

17. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love posted on January 7, 2013 at 6:35 am (#)

I never heard of these before, but they look scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

18. Mom posted on January 7, 2013 at 8:05 am (#)

Everyone, these are as wonderful as they sound. Can you believe my surprise Christmas Eve when I opened my goodie can and found a bunch of them? I’m thinking…better than the originals. These creamy centers were very smooth and I remember the originals being a bit more “gritty”. YUM, YUM, YUM!
    Love, Mom

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 7th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I’m glad you liked them. :)

19. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on January 7, 2013 at 10:09 am (#)

How have I never heard of this candy before??? Well obviously I need to make some of these so I can find out what I was missing :) They look amazing!

20. Lisa posted on January 7, 2013 at 11:34 am (#)

You had me at vanilla nougat. : )

21. Ann F. posted on January 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm (#)

I’m a native Oregonian and I remember Mountain Bars well. As a kid I had a serious addiction to Cherry Mountain Bars. Yum. Now I want one–or five. ;-)

22. The Better Baker posted on January 7, 2013 at 8:04 pm (#)

OH.MY.GOODNESS! I just bet I could eat a MOUNTAIN of these delicious bites of yum. ;-} Thanks so much for sharing. Pinning!!

23. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on January 8, 2013 at 8:50 am (#)

Thanks for linking up at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s! You know I never saw these when we lived there but boy I am going to try these. I bet they are way better than the original ones anyway!

24. Holly Lefevre posted on January 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm (#)

I have never heard of these guys! Yummy!

25. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on January 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm (#)

Never heard of them, but definitely want to try! Thanks so much for linking up at Two-Cup Tuesday! See ya again next week!

26. Michael Ann posted on January 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm (#)

What? I lived in Tacoma for 6 years and have never heard of them! But they sure look delicious!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Almond Roca was the biggie from that place, I think. Mountain Bars were the ugly stepsister, lol. Thanks so much!

27. Julie posted on January 9, 2013 at 11:47 am (#)

When my mother was pregnant with me, she got a CRAVING for Mountain Bars. She had $2 in her pocket, and walked to the grocery store, a mile or two, bought all the mountain bars she could for the $2, and ate them all before she got home….

Thank you for this recipe, it would make my mother laugh to make them for her.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 9th, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your memory! I love when food evokes them. I hope your mom gets a good laugh! :)

28. Pingback: Whatever Friday - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

29. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 11, 2013 at 3:33 am (#)

These look awesome. But the 100Grand. Off to see those next!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 11th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Thanks Averie! :) I need to make that fudge again…

30. Vicky @ Mess For Less posted on January 12, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

Wow, you have some crazy good recipes here. First time visitor. I have never heard of mountain bars but am excited to try this. Pinning them now.

31. Pingback: Show Me Your Plaid Mondays #6 | The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen

32. The Partiologist posted on January 14, 2013 at 4:43 am (#)

I’ve not heard of these, but boy oh boy they do sound delicious! Thanks for sharing!

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter Baklava - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

34. Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet posted on January 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm (#)

Wow, I’ve never heard of these but they look like a million bucks–thanks!

35. Kellie posted on January 17, 2013 at 3:46 am (#)

I have never heard of these (I’m in Australia) but they sound and look absolutely delish.. i will definatley
    be making these tomorrow.. there is no doubt my hubby and kids will love them.. if i don’t eat them
    all first.

36. Sandi posted on January 21, 2013 at 10:25 am (#)

Am from PNW and always loved Mountain Bars, especially the cherry ones. Add a marachino cherry and some juice in the filling for a real show stopper. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Dorothy.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Thank you! I have to try making them now. :)

• jann jones replied on January 14th, 2014 at 8:28 pm

O.M.Gs, me, too!Born in the tri cities, Portland for evah, cherry Mountains are THE BEST!!!!! I cant thank/bless you enough!! I know what this girl is gonna be making!!! And Sandi for the cherry add, just what i was thinking!! Gee, i hope the filling survives…. Now I’ve gotta find a way to Tacoma.. Website, anyone?

37. Dave In Reno posted on January 21, 2013 at 3:40 pm (#)

I had forgotten all about these wonderful candy bars. In High School I had one or two every day, then they suddenly disappeared. Thanks for taking the time to experiment and come up with the copycat. I made a batch and they went like “hot cakes” at work. Looks like another batch is on the way.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked them. :) I need to make the peanut butter and cherry ones!

38. Pingback: Chocolate Conversation Heart Footballs - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

39. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 27, 2013 at 4:58 pm (#)

When I was traveling this past Dec and pre-Xmas, I was going to make Bounty Bars. Which are sort of like Mountain Bars. I never got around to it and then shelved the idea…and now, I want to make both of them. That center/filling – that is dreamy stuff Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

It totally is! It’s amazing it made it off the spoon into the chocolate instead of into my mouth, ha! :)

40. Marie Moore posted on February 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm (#)

I have lived in Washington all of my life, and love Mountain bars. I have been to the little Brown @ Haley company in Tacoma a few times. I don’t know if you are aware of this or not, but many years ago, they also made chocolate filled mountain bars which were my very favorite. If you ever get or create the recipe for those,could you please e-mail the recipe to me? I would greatly appreciate it. In the mean time, can’t wait to try these ones!

Blessings,
    Marie

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:39 pm

OMG really??? CHOCOLATE ones? You have to tell me, was it just sweet chocolate truffle? Or milk chocolate? I have to recreate those!

• Marie Moore replied on February 5th, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Growing up, the choices were the original, which is the white center, chocolate, peanut butter and cherry. The chocolate was by far my favorite. It had the identical outside, and the center had the same consistency as the white, possibly a touch creamier, and of course a brown colored center.. Fabulous candy

. I just noticed you have a Pinterest account. I will gladly follow you in hopes someday, you will come up with the recipe.

Thanks for your quick response.
        Marie Moore

• Melanie Cope replied on November 27th, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh yes, Dorothy, CHOCOLATE!! LOL My mom was the vanilla Mountain Bar lover, but I always preferred the other flavors. It’s fun to introduce our local goodies to the masses, isn’t it?

By-the-way, I love that I happened upon your blog awhile back. I really enjoy your chatter and the recipes are fun, too!!

41. tamara posted on February 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm (#)

i live in Tacoma and saw that you missed the mountain bars. i i love them too. And if if you wanted I could send some to you if you wish. i enjoying reading your recipes. thank you

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 7th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Oh you’re so sweet! I couldn’t ask you to do that, but thank you. :)

42. Pingback: Buy Bubble Guppies Blog

43. Michelle B. posted on April 16, 2013 at 5:44 pm (#)

Went in Walgreens yesterday and they had a HEAP of Mountain Bars in the front of the store. Of course, I DO live in Washington :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 16th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Oh, I am so jealous you have no idea!

44. Libby posted on April 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm (#)

Have I told you that I LOVE you????

45. Sharon Oakes posted on April 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

Love your site

46. sue posted on September 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm (#)

What is Madeleine? Used in your almond joy mountains.google

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 29th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Madeleines are little french cakes (they look like little fans). You can use brownie bites instead (the store bought kind, from places like Costco or the grocery store) or you can make a pan of brownies, spread the coconut on, chill, slice, then do the chocolate dipping!

47. sue posted on September 29, 2013 at 8:18 pm (#)

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Could I make the almond joys without the brownies?

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 1st, 2013 at 6:29 am

Yes! That should work, but you may need to add a some powdered sugar to get the texture right – not sticky but able to hold together. :)

• Sue replied on October 1st, 2013 at 11:08 am

Thanks so much for your advice.I will give it a try. What’s the worst I could do? Turn a great candy bar into a cow patty!!HMMM,cow patty may be a new discovery!!!

48. Jennie posted on December 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm (#)

Thank you for pinning this….I grew up in Tacoma, Wash. and I loved these…I will definitely try, but would love your pin of the peanut butter ones (those were my favorite) I live in Pa now and so miss them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 3rd, 2013 at 7:01 am

I need to make them! I’ve been saying for a year I’ll make them and I haven’t. Guess what’s going on my list this week??? :)

• Addie replied on December 15th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Hi! these are my dad’s favorite, was going to make some but he loves the cherry one’s–and brown and haley wants too much for shipping…do you know how i’d create these but cherry?

thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’ve never eaten the cherry ones. Is there a whole cherry in it? If so, this recipe might be good: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-covered-cherries-2/. If it’s just the flavor, you might try adding some maraschino cherry juice to the vanilla mixture in my recipe, and adding more powdered sugar to get the right consistency (to offset the extra liquid). Let me know if you try it, and what works!!

• Addie replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I tried! just replaced your vanilla extract with 1/2 teaspoon of cherry extract, then poured a few teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice for color and flavor, turned out just like the cherry ones!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 24th, 2013 at 6:30 am

YES! That’s SO awesome Addie! I’ll have to try that. I just made the PB ones for Christmas…on the blog in Jan!

49. Pingback: Butterscotch Squares copycat recipe {Amazon giveaway} - Crazy for Crust

50. Aimee Mc posted on December 29, 2013 at 6:59 am (#)

omg!!! peanut butter mountain bars!! we used to have to sell these and almond roca when i lived in Spanaway,WA in elementary school! forget about going around the neighborhood–i’d have mom and dad buy the box of them!!! i can’t wait to try these…but how do i change the recipe to make the peanut butter ones?? thanks for posting and taking me back to my childhood! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 29th, 2013 at 7:42 am

You are in luck Aimee – I just made the PB ones for Christmas!! I’ll be posting them in a few weeks. They are SOOOOO good! :)

51. Andrea posted on January 6, 2014 at 8:49 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! I made these AMAZING candies for Christmas this year, and they were a huge hit with my family! No one could believe I made them myself because they looked so professional! My Grandma is my toughest critic (the type of lady that will tell you if it tastes/looks like crap) and she LOVED them! In Canada, where I’m from, we have a chocolate store called Laura Secord, which has been around for eons, and my Grandma said my chocolates were 100% better! Thanks for the amazing recipes! I’m addicted to your site!
    All the best for the new year!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 7th, 2014 at 6:36 am

Wow! I’m so happy you liked them! And I love these so much party for that reason – they’re foolproof!! Thanks so much for reading!

52. Pingback: 35 Candiquik Recipes Starring America’s Favorite Candy Coating | The Domestic Rebel

53. Pingback: Peanut Butter Mountain Bars - Crazy for Crust

54. Julia McKinnis posted on February 1, 2014 at 11:44 pm (#)

These both sound super. My favorite flavor was always the cherry. Feel like pounding that one out into an awesome recipe? Love your blog!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:13 am

A blog reader added some maraschino cherry juice to the mixture to make them cherry. I’ll have to give it a go! I’ve never had the cherry ones: was there an actual cherry in there or just the flavor? And did they still have the peanuts in the chocolate? Let me know and I’ll try a copycat!

55. Julia McKinnis posted on February 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm (#)

Thank you for contacting regarding my post. The cherry mountain bars did have nuts in the top layer ofchocolate. The inside was a bit softer than the originals, had cherry flavor and chunks, and was pink. I am anxious to see your fantastic results! Thanks again.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Okay, I totally need to try it! Hopefully before Valentine’s… :)