Jan 31

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse

Friday, February 1, 2013 is National Wear Red Day, a day created in 2003 to raise awareness that Heart Disease was the #1 killer of women. Still, today, 10 years later, heart disease kills more women than all cancers combined.

Heart disease is very close to my heart, so to speak. I wrote last year about how many of the men on my mom’s side of the family (her dad and three of her brothers) had and/or died from massive heart attacks or a stroke. Last year I wrote about how my mom was approaching her 5-year mark of surviving a near-heart attack. By knowing the signs and having already been in the care of doctors due to her family history, she knew something was wrong and had a stent put into a blocked artery before heart disease could take her life, like it took the life of her brother and father.

Less than a month after I wrote that post last year, I got another phone call from my mom. She had been experiencing problems again and had had another stress test. The test alone didn’t show enough for concern but because of her history, the doctor was going to have her do an angiogram, just in case.

It turns out that same artery was clogged again, but it was more clogged than the first time. All the exercise she had been doing had saved her life. She ended up having a second stent put in, over the first.

So, yeah. Heat disease is a big thing for me.

Which is why I’m bringing you a heart-healthy treat today. I know this may seem strange because so much of the time I post oh-so-not healthy stuff. I am super aware of the irony of this blog, believe me. That is why moderation is key and exercise is essential.

And why, sometimes secret substations make all the difference.

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse 3 words

It’s been too long since I made dessert with you, old friend.

Avocados. My favorite thing ever! And, the super secret ingredient in this mousse.

I know, I know. SO many of you just hit the red x. But you shouldn’t. Because, really, you don’t taste the avocado. It gives it fluff and depth without the bad fats and calories of butter and cream.

This mousse uses semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa powder to give it it’s super chocolatey flavor. Nonfat Greek yogurt gives it volume, and coconut milk makes it smooth. The avocado adds texture, volume, and heart healthy fats. Oh, and there is some sweetener in their too. I used Splenda, but you can use whatever you have, even agave or honey. This isn’t your typical rich, silky, sinful chocolate mousse. But it’s good and you’d never know it’s better for you!

This makes two small servings. (But, as I’ve noted in the recipe, two very filling small servings…so more like four mini servings!) Perfect for you and a loved one. A Valentine’s Day treat, perhaps? Or a Friday night sweet at the end of a heart healthy day?

Don’t be afraid of the avocado. The health benefits really outweigh the weirdness of it-in-dessert factor. I promise!

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse 4 words

So make some avocado chocolate mousse. And go wear red on Friday. Be aware of yourself, of your body. Awareness can save lives – it sure saved my mom.

{{Hugs!}}

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse

Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse

• 1 large avocado, pitted and skin removed
  • 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk (or almond milk or nonfat milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (plain regular yogurt is fine too, or use vanilla for a little more sweetness)
  • 2 packets sweetener or to taste (I used Splenda)

1. Place all ingredients except Splenda in a food processor. Pulse until smooth, wiping down the sides and stirring as needed. Add Splenda or sweetener one packet at a time, tasting in between. You may need more or less than 2 packets depending on how sweet you want your mousse.
  2. Place in a bowl and chill until ready to use. Serves 1 large portion or 2 small, however this is really rich and filling. I suggest 4 mini servings!
  3. To make the red hearts, melt about 2 tablespoons of red candy melts according to package directions. Place melted candy in a sandwich bag and cut off one corner. Pipe hearts onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet and chill until hardened.

Other avocado goodness:

Avocado Frosting

IMG_5092words

Avocado Popsicles

avocado popsicles 3 words

Sweets from Friends:
Chocolate Avocado Muffins from Inside BrueCrew Life
Skinny Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse from Back for Seconds
Rocky Road Pudding Mousse by Something Swanky
Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse by Averie Cooks

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

43 Responses to “Heart Healthy Chocolate Mousse”

1. Mom posted on January 31, 2013 at 3:23 pm (#)

Wow, thanks, Kiddo. Now if I only lived closer so I didn’t have to make my own…lol
    Love you,
    Mom

2. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on January 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm (#)

Awww what a sweet post. And super sweet mousse! thanks for raising awareness :)

3. Amy Tong posted on January 31, 2013 at 4:33 pm (#)

I love chocolate mousse and definitely adore these heart healthy version. ;)

4. The Better Baker posted on January 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm (#)

What an awesome post! I HAVE made chocolate pudding with avocado..unreal how you can’t taste it huh? YUM! I adore your darling little red heart toppers. I’ve never seen avocado frosting before! So thankful your mom knows what’s what and is in good shape once again. God bless you and yours.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Thanks so much! :) I love how the avocado adds volume to this dish! :)

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm (#)

I have blog posts for this dating back to 2009 and 2010! Love avo mousse! And I don’t use anything except avo, cocoa, agave, dash of vanilla. Love how pretty yours is! Mine is from the days when I thought food styling meant a tupperware container – without waterspots on it L :) Seriously I love the stuff!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Next time I’m going to try it that way! I don’t know why I didn’t check you for a link. Of course you’d have one! :) I added one now.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for the link mama ! I actually have 2 versions of it. My old blogging days are a trip :) I sometimes almost delete those posts but I don’t want to delete recipes like these! Thanks and I think your message in this post is such a good & important one!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 1st, 2013 at 6:49 am

Thanks Averie! :) And I know, I always want to delete my old reallllly bad photos…but I don’t. It’s good to see how far we’ve come!

6. Carole @The Sweet Chick posted on January 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm (#)

I have to try this. Of course I love chocolate, but I also love avocados.

7. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 31, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

I love that you made chocolate mousse with our favorite veggie!!! And this is the sweetest post…I am so glad your mom is ok! Thank you for the awareness! Thanks for the link love too!!!

8. Kristin posted on January 31, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

You’re such a good daughter. :)

If avocados were cheaper (think: less than $3) I’d buy some and try out these desserts!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 1st, 2013 at 6:48 am

OMG really? Wow. You really need out of Alaska, lol.

9. Heather @French Press posted on January 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm (#)

SO funny – I was going to make avocado brownies today – but my schedule got ht best of me
    I LOVE avocados and will have to try this mousse

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 1st, 2013 at 6:48 am

I have been trying to perfect a good avocado brownie recipe (that’s healthy!) I can’t wait to see what you make!

10. Ashton posted on January 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm (#)

I LOVE that last picture!!!! And this is such a great recipe– can’t wait to try it :)

11. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious posted on January 31, 2013 at 10:53 pm (#)

Wow, you do have connections, interesting story and a great chocolate mousse :)

12. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 1, 2013 at 7:14 am (#)

I’ve been dying to try avocados in chocolate mousse for awhile, and yours looks just so silky and delicious!

Heart disease is a big problem in my family too, so this is extra close to my heart <3

13. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 1, 2013 at 9:41 am (#)

Um, totally in love with this. I still have yet to try avo in desserts — I don’t know what’s wrong with me (uhhhh nevermind). Anyway, I’m all over this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 1st, 2013 at 3:04 pm

LOL, nothing is wrong with you!

14. Erin @ Texanerin Baking posted on February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm (#)

I absolutely love this! This is is how I make my pudding (without the addition of chocolate… only cocoa) And those little red hearts are so cute!

I wish your mother, you, and your whole family, and okay, everyone else, lots of heart health! Thanks for making this post to bring heart disease to our attention. :)

16. Megan @ The Pink Flour posted on February 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm (#)

So glad your mom is doing well! My dad had a stent put in a few years ago too, so this hits close to home. And I love, love, love avocados, but haven’t tried them in dessert yet. This is on the to do list :)

17. Brenda posted on February 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm (#)

I have to admit that I’ve never tried avocado with chocolate … but I promise that I will try your recipe. I’m glad your Mom is doing well … we must all be aware of the “signs”. My hubby had a similar story and was very lucky … in fact yesterday he got the news that he can stop taking Plavix! We are very excited here :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2013 at 2:38 pm

That’s great news Brenda! The problem was my mom was allergic to Plavix the first time. Now she’s on a different medication, so hopefully she won’t relapse again! I’m glad your husband is doing good!

18. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on February 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm (#)

Such an important topic! Heart disease runs rampant in my family – yuck! Avocados are just too good not to use in desserts! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2013 at 2:34 pm

That’s for sure! Thanks Trish!

19. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 am (#)

This looks awesome Dorothy! I’m so happy for you and your whole family that your mom is one smart lady!

20. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm (#)

Yay! Finally a Mousse I can eat! I’ve been looking at mousse recipes all over (because it’s almost Valentines day, maybe?) and have been drooling over all of them, but I can’t have gelatin. Great to see one I can make :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

This is for you then! I use gelatin, but it kind of freaks me out…

21. Cristina posted on February 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm (#)

The avocado in this only makes me want to eat it more. Thanks for such a sweet post, Dorothy!

22. Pingback: Eat Your Way to Weight Loss with These 7 Recipes for Heart Health – DrGullo.com – Low-Sodium Dieting Recipes