Nov 20

Gingerbread Butterscotch Better Than… Poke Cake

This Gingerbread Poke Cake is an amazing Christmas Treat!

Gingerbread Poke Cake | crazyforcrust.com

Let’s talk Christmas shopping for a minute, shall we?

Actually, let’s talk about outrageous Christmas gift prices instead. That’s more fun!

Jordan has an American Girl Doll, Jenny. Santa brought it for her a few years ago. After a lot of soul-searching, Santa decided he should buy the “real” thing because, well, honestly? She didn’t look scary, like some of the “fake” ones. And, it’s something Jordan would play with for years. {Plus, Santa’s mom never let him have the real American Girl doll when he was a kid. He has some deep-rooted mommy issues.}

Somewhere Santa draws the line, however? Buying actual American Girl merchandise. Have you seen the Christmas catalogue yet?

{If not, or if your child is 3 and has not ever heard of American Girl, do not, I repeat, DO NOT give her the catalogue. You have been warned.}

Most of Jordan’s doll accessories have been purchased at Target or other store that carries cheaper but just-as-good doll stuff. She has a couple of “brand name” items, but not many.

And she ain’t getting any more any time soon, that’s for sure.

In case you think I’ve gone off my rocker writing a post about a doll catalogue, let me give you some examples:

They sell a convertible toy VW Beetle for dolls. I say toy in case you get confused, because it costs $350. FOR A TOY CAR.

I was flipping through the other night and I almost choked on my slice of cake, I kid you not.

Also? A doll banquet table with a selection of (plastic) doll cakes and pastries sells for $152. So, ladies. If you’re selling your baked goods this holiday season, be sure to charge accordingly. Because American Girl is selling a layer cake, some cupcakes, and a plate of cookies for, like, three times what you’re charging.

And, the best one. A gingerbread house kit for dolls. It’s comes mostly assembled because, well, the dolls don’t have opposable thumbs. Guess how much? Yup. $58. Totally reasonable!

And you know what? People buy the stuff. I want to buy the stuff, because Jordan wants it. Sometimes I really wish I could just fork over $75 for a doll tent, but you know, I have to buy Oreos and pay for gas.

So, instead of spending $38 for a doll comforter, I’ll just make Jordan sugar.Gingerbread Poke Cake | crazyforcrust.com

Poke cakes (otherwise known as a Better Than Sex cake [ohmigod yes! I just wrote the actual word!]) are not new. They are new to me…but not new to blogland.

Ashton has made my two favorites: pumpkin and peppermint. Nikki has, like, a gazillion on her blog, namely Butterfinger and Oreo. I had to join the party with one of my favorite Holiday flavors: gingerbread.

If you’ve never heard of a Better Than… Cake before, you’re missing out. Basically, it’s a cake that you poke a bunch of holes in, then douse it in the most delicious liquid ever created: sweetened condensed milk. Then you add other fun things, like ice cream topping or cookies.

I used gingerbread cake mix. And butterscotch. (Thanks for the combo idea Sally!) Oh, and toffee bits too.

And don’t forget the Cool Whip. Never for get that!

Better Than… weeellll. Let me just say…

I don’t kiss and tell. Did you really think I would? ;)

{It is realllllllly good. Really.}

Gingerbread Butterscotch Better Than… Poke Cake

• 1 Gingerbread Cake Mix (14.5 oz; Betty Crocker has one), plus ingredients listed to make the cake
  • 7 ounces (half a 14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 jar (or thereabouts) Butterscotch ice cream topping
  • 4-8 ounces Cool Whip (about half to a full container, depending on preference)
  • 1 cup toffee bits

1. Make cake as directed on the back of the box. (I used a 9x9 square pan.) Let cool for 20 minutes.
  2. Poke the cake with the back of a wooden spoon at least 15 times. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cake, making sure that it gets in the holes. (I warmed mine up in the microwave for a few seconds to make it more pourable.) Pour the butterscotch ice cream topping over the top of the cake, making sure it gets in the holes also.
  3. Top the cake with an even layer of Cool Whip (use at least half the container, more if you like lots!) Sprinkle with toffee bits.
  4. Chill for 4-6 hours for flavors to meld. Best served at room temperature.

Notes

If you like extra crunch, use an extra cup of toffee bits and sprinkle them on top the cake before adding the Cool Whip.

Gingerbread Butterscotch Better Than... Poke Cake by Crazy for Crust

Like Gingerbread? Check out these other yummy treats with the classic holiday flavor:

Gingerbread Cookie Dough Truffles

Gingerbread 7-layer Bars by Something Swanky

Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls by Love From The Oven

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

51 Responses to “Gingerbread Butterscotch Better Than… Poke Cake”

1. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on November 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm (#)

Oh, oh, oh! This looks SOOOO incredible! I think BTS cakes are like pudding cookies– the flavors are endless, and I’m never tired of seeing a new one! L-O-V-E!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thanks – coming from the queen of BTS that means a lot. :)

2. Mom posted on November 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

$38 for a doll comforter????? Wow, when Jordan comes down after Christmas we can make one. Maybe even a tent, too (are there pictures to work from?)!
    Meanwhile, between the butterscotch and the toffee bits, even I would like this cake (not big on gingerbread but cake with stuff on it is ok)!!! lol
    Love, Mom

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:43 pm

If you offer, she’ll take you up on it, lol. :)

3. The Witch's Kitchen posted on November 20, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

Better than a….poke…..cake. Looks fabulous…but I’m not going to kiss & tell either.

The American Girl stuff. Well, lets just say that I’m glad I have boys! No way would I be paying that kind of money for doll accessories!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:43 pm

:) Neither am I!!!!

4. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on November 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm (#)

Hubba, hubba. This just may be better than.. well, you know. I DO love cake after all… (don’t tell Jess) ;) and omg, I applaud Jordan for liking American Girl so much. I LOVED the books and wanted so badly to love the dolls but the page with the eyeballs creeped me out EVERY TIME. We (randomly) got that catalog a couple days ago too and I saw the car wash set… licensed by VW, lol.

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:42 pm

LOL the page with eyeballs. I haven’t seen that in awhile, or maybe I’m subconsciously avoiding it?

5. Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeno posted on November 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm (#)

gingerbread is one of my favorites this time of year too!!! THis looks EXCELLENT.

6. Heather @French Press posted on November 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm (#)

same American Doll issues here – she wants her dolls to all have matching outfits and of course they needs to have pets, and hairs “stuff” and cars – YIKES

Santa better get a second job:)

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:40 pm

OMG the pets. I’m NOT PAYING $50 for a stuffed animal! LOL Good luck….

7. Back For Seconds posted on November 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm (#)

I love these cakes, so gooey and rich! This one looks crazy good and so festive, too! Bella has American Girl twins (for obvious reasons). She loves looking through the catalogue but never asks for anything…yet.

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Just wait, lol. The twins are so cute! I was shocked Jordan didn’t want them (2 dolls instead of one…)

8. Nicole @ Lapetitebaker posted on November 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm (#)

I was a huge fan of American Dolls when I was little but to be honest this cake would have won over any over priced doll car. Sugar always wins in my book.

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Yes, yes it does!

9. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on November 21, 2012 at 6:28 am (#)

Okay, it’s after hearing stories like this that I’m really glad I have a little boy–who’s top item {right now} is a Hot Wheels track that retails for $25. And can you believe I’ve NEVER made/had BTS cake? I know, it’s a travesty. And after seeing all these yummy recipes, I’m going to have to make one, because OMG, this sounds fabulous (love me some gingerbread).

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This was my first one! Total travesty. :) Thanks Ashley!

10. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on November 21, 2012 at 6:44 am (#)

oh yum, I could see giving up sex for cake some days;p

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:39 pm

LOL! You always crack me up Sue. :)

11. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on November 21, 2012 at 7:14 am (#)

Dorothy!!!! I am in love with this recipe! I’ve never baked with the gingerbread cake mix before, but it always catches my eye in the baking aisle. the combo of butterscotch and gingerbread – you are SO welcome!! Isn’t it fabulous? Who would thing to combine the two? I’m in love :)

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Me too. I love all your inspiration! :)

12. Kristin posted on November 21, 2012 at 8:26 am (#)

I will forever be scared by the fact that my mother refused to buy me all the 5 original dolls plus accessories when I was 10 years old.
    I read that catalog like it was the manual to life.

My aunt used to make jello poke cake and it was amazing (strawberry)!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:37 pm

So did I! And my mom was the same. So now I feel the need to compensate, lol. Strawberry sounds delish!

13. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on November 21, 2012 at 9:28 am (#)

I pray that my daughter never falls in love with dolls. I for one was never a fan so maybe there is hope? I better send her out and about with her daddy more often!

This cake looks marvelous for Christmas!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Totally! It’s crazy. :)

14. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on November 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, I may love you for this recipe. I need to make this asap! Forget about the stuffing and rolls I’m supposed to be making for Thanksgving tomorrow!… And in our house it’s just accepted that Santa is on a budget… $350..CRAZY!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 21st, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I know, Jordan was even putting in her list to Santa “if it’s not too expensive…” Luckily even she understands that the stuff is outrageous and wants the Target version instead. Happy Thanksgiving!

15. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on November 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm (#)

Love that this cake is easy and fast looking to make. And gingerbread/molasses and butterscotch are some of my fave things!

Santa- and I what to do about all of that – yes, I can relate :)

16. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on November 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm (#)

This looks so yummy! Can you bring some over for Thanksgiving dinner? :D Happy Thanksgiving!

17. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on November 22, 2012 at 3:57 am (#)

Yummmm! I love gingerbread and just know this cake must taste fantastic. Great idea combining gingerbread and butterscotch!

18. Pingback: Happy Thanksgiving! | Crazy for Crust

19. Pingback: Gingerbread Better Than...Poke Cake | Crazy for Crust

20. Pingback: 25 Gingerbread Dessert Recipes

21. Pingback: 25 Gingerbread Dessert Recipes | Ernest Wong

22. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on November 25, 2012 at 7:45 am (#)

Better than ANYTHING I tell you! Gingerbread is my favorite christmas treat also! This cake looks amazing!!

23. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on November 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm (#)

Yeah it is crazy how expensive some toys can get. Think of all the other things you could buy for her with $350. Crazy.

I have never made one of these cakes before but this might be the one I start with. Delicious!!

24. Anne@FromMySweetHeart posted on November 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm (#)

Oh this post had me grinning from ear to ear! I am so glad I had boys. They just always seemed so low maintenance. The only time it started getting expensive was when they got older and were now interested in electronics. You know…I can probably justify investing in the doll….but boy…..they kill you with those accessories! And you need those accessories! For me…I’ll take $350. worth of this gingerbread poke cake. It really looks fabulous and I wouldn’t even share it with my American girl doll! GREAT post Dorothy! : )

25. Jill posted on November 26, 2012 at 5:34 am (#)

Love this! Would love for you to share this on our Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party… http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/11/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_23.html?m=1

26. Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik posted on November 26, 2012 at 9:57 am (#)

Yum!! This cake sounds amazing…and easy!

27. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on November 27, 2012 at 9:58 am (#)

Some days I wish I had a little girl. But after reading your post today is not one of them. ;) I’ve heard friends complain about the price of AG doll clothes but seriously I think I almost choked as well when I read about the 350$ car. I bought my boys a car they can actually drive for 1/3 that!

Also poke cake is delicious. My favorite is coconut!

28. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on November 28, 2012 at 8:56 am (#)

I’m so thankful my girls never got into the American Girl Dolls, just outa my price range and considering what they do to a barbie doll, I’d have to keep the poor doll under lock and key instead of letting them enjoy playing with it like they should! Poke cake seems like a fair exchange to me!

• crazyforcrust replied on November 28th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I know, huh? Oh, the knots in the hair! :)

29. Kalamity Kelli posted on November 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm (#)

First, I came over for the cake! My mother is going to LOVE this – she really enjoys gingerbread but as she gets older, it has become “biting” or “too hot” – your ingredients will soften that and make it enjoyable once again for her. I’m going to make it this weekend for sure!

As for American Girl – Those dolls were just coming out when my daughter was 8 or 9 and she too wanted one, mostly because that doll looked exactly like her (which was kind of scary). I was a single mom at the time and had no extra $$ for an expensive doll. So, I took a picture of one to a Kinko’s along with some fabric that was an approximation of skin color – I had the face copied onto the material and then my mom and I bought a doll body, wig, the glasses, and mom made some pretty close clothes. It looks VERY close to the real one and we told her that it was custom made just for her. I made up a birth certificate like on Cabbage Patch dolls and she didn’t know the difference until she was about 14. She loved the doll and still has it. Just a thought for you to consider if you know someone who can sew.

• crazyforcrust replied on November 29th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thank goodness my mom can! She makes all sorts of clothes and things for the doll. Which is good, because even the stuff at Kohl’s has gotten outrageous!

30. Pingback: Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff Saturday - Something Swanky

31. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen posted on December 4, 2012 at 6:00 am (#)

Holy moly, I gotta make this cake! I only have boys so I’m not browsing the Am. Girl catalog too often, I have to agree with you. Too much money and what’s the difference in the accessories?

32. Alison at NOVA Frugal Family posted on December 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm (#)

This looks wonderful…sadly, I would end up eating most it and my family wouldn’t be as interested. I am super excited that I have a three year old boy who isn’t interested in dolls and will never want an American Girl doll because those prices aren’t getting paid!!! For $350, I could buy everyone else’s presents and not just toy car :) I highly recommend the great suggestion of making the blanket/quilt with Mom!! It will have so many more memories and a much better price tag :)

33. Jennifer Aten posted on December 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm (#)

Making this tonight to take to Christmas dinner. I couldn’t find any gingerbread cake mix though — I’m going to try a spice cake instead. Thanks for the recipe!! Can’t wait to taste it.

34. Pingback: Better Than Valentine's Day... Red Velvet Poke Cake - Something Swanky

35. Pingback: More than 30 Poke Cake Recipes! | wine & glue