Jul 31

Sugar Cookie Bark

This sugar cookie bark is a combination candy and cookie dough – and will curb your sweet craving for sure!
Sugar Cookie Bark | crazyforcrust.com | #candy #cookiedough

I bet that, if you’re a blogger, I could say the name of an ingredient and you could immediately spout at least five things to make with it.

Like, if I shouted “REESE’S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!” in a room at a food blogger conference I would immediately get responses like:

Stuffed Cupcakes!
Stuffed Cookies!
Pudding!
Pie!
Cheesecake!
Ice Cream!
Rice Krispie Treats!
Truffles!

Am I right?

It would be like brainstorming gone mad.

But what about when the ingredient is the dessert? Makes it a little harder.

Like, for example, sugar cookies.

When I think “sugar cookie,” I think cute designs and royal icing. I think about Christmas.

{I mean, sure I think about pie crust too, doesn’t everyone?}

But if you want a treat that actually tastes like a sugar cookie, it’s a little harder.

My step-father-in-law (that’s a mouthful, let’s call him M), loves sugar cookies.

Like, really loves them.

So, every year for his birthday and Christmas I make him some.

But really, I can’t just make sugar cookies anymore.

{Except at Christmas. Not making them then would be sacrilege.}

In blog-land-life, when you make stuff like carrot cake cinnamon rolls and ICEE cupcakes, you can’t just make a sugar cookie a second time (says the little voice in my head).

Besides, I did that last year. But I made it a bar cookie.

So this year, when M’s birthday rolled around I was stumped.

And then I remembered Shelly’s Brownie Batter Bark.

And I realized how I’d create another good sugar rush for the man who can eat an entire batch of cookies without gaining an ounce.

Enter sugar cookie dough and white candy melts.

Add some sprinkles and you’ve got a super sweet sugar cookie dessert.

That’s not a sugar cookie.

But kinda is.

I can’t wait to try the other options for this.

I’m sure it involves Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

And, maybe, pie.

Sugar Cookie Bark
by Crazy for Crust (Inspired by Cookies and Cups)
Sugar Cookie Bark

• 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 24 ounce package white candy melts
  • Sprinkles

1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
  2. Mix sugar cookie mix, butter, and milk in a medium bowl. Melt half your candy melts and spread in an even layer on cookie sheet. Top evenly with cookie dough and press to spread across candy, leaving an edge of candy around the dough. Chill for about 10 minutes.
  3. Melt remaining candy melts. Pour over top of chilled sugar cookie dough. Spread evenly to cover dough. Cover with sprinkles and chill until hardened. Break apart and enjoy!

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

76 Responses to “Sugar Cookie Bark”

1. Back for Seconds posted on July 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm (#)

I love this idea, Dorothy! And I love peanut butter cups ;) you just gave me a great idea…

2. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on July 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm (#)

OMG. Must make immediately.

3. Aimee posted on July 31, 2012 at 6:24 pm (#)

So crazy interesting….

4. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on July 31, 2012 at 6:34 pm (#)

Dudes and dudettes, it is CRAZY good. Super sweet, crunchy yet smooth… Let’s just sum it up entirely with the adjective “heavenly” because it most certainly is. Dorothy, you rock. I’m glad you’re neurotic like me :)

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm (#)

this is PERFECT! cookie dough, bark, sprinkles, nobake – love everything about it!

6. Something Swanky posted on July 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm (#)

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this! I’ve been brainstorming ways to make that recipe differently too– this is PERFECT!! Way to nail it on the head :) Beautiful pics too.

7. Sarah posted on July 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm (#)

Pinning…I’d like a box of this delivered ASAP! I think I will make it for my son’s birthday party favors for Friday! Thanks for the great idea! I agree the pics are gorgeous!

8. Lisa posted on July 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm (#)

Ummm, yes. And more. And then I want to eat again. And maybe again after that until I die a happy sugary coma death. Please.

9. Susan posted on July 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm (#)

Dorothy, I love how your mind thinks!! What a great idea and I bet “M” loved the new version. This is a definite try and by the way, sign me up for the “Think Tank!!”

10. kyleen posted on July 31, 2012 at 8:59 pm (#)

Sugar cookie bark is genius! It looks so delicious.

11. Jocelyn posted on July 31, 2012 at 9:45 pm (#)

Yup, you yell out an ingredient and my mind goes 10 different direction…food bloggers for ya:-) I am so with you too on only making something once! Sugar cookie bark…such a fun and awesome way to reinvent the cookie!!!

12. keri @ shaken together posted on August 1, 2012 at 1:35 am (#)

Beyond awesome … that’s all :)

13. Danielle posted on August 1, 2012 at 5:52 am (#)

Stopping by from the NY Melrose hop. Oh my goodness this looks deadly. Adding it to my “Recipes to Try” pinboard right now!!

14. Yvonne @ StoneGable posted on August 1, 2012 at 6:52 am (#)

These fun sweet bites look like there is a party going on! So cute and very very fun!
    You are right about sugar cookies… and reeses peanut butter cups! The options are endless!
    I love your pictures… makes me want to run out and make them NOW!
    I would love you to join me for ON THE MENU MONDAY, my weekly linky foodie/recipe/menu party. I hope you will come over with your great recipes and share them with us! Link goes live Sunday evening at 8:00!

15. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on August 1, 2012 at 7:25 am (#)

What a great use for cookie dough!! Must try!

16. Ang posted on August 1, 2012 at 7:31 am (#)

Hi! I’m loving this idea, your writing style – just everything about your blog! I’m pinning this, too. :) I’m stopping by from Whimsy Wednesday to say hello. I hope you’ll come visit me at jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

17. whirl + whisk posted on August 1, 2012 at 7:52 am (#)

This is such a great idea! I will be trying this one soon

18. Angela posted on August 1, 2012 at 8:59 am (#)

I wonder if you could make them into balls and dip? But this way sounds much easier!

19. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on August 1, 2012 at 9:08 am (#)

Sounds great!! Love the sprinkles. So fun!

20. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 1, 2012 at 10:54 am (#)

Wow Dorothy! What a sugar-filled insanely sprinkly dessert! I think my dentist would kil me with one bite! So worth it though., I am loving this. Sugar cookie anything (with tons of sprinkles) is my dream come true!

21. Heather Kinnaird posted on August 1, 2012 at 10:54 am (#)

no-bake sugar cookies I’M in {seriously cannot wait for the fall weather}

22. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on August 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm (#)

Oh my!! I have a few guys in my life who would go crazy for this!!! My husband and FIL (and son for that matter), are pretty much sugar cookie addicts!!

23. Kristin posted on August 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm (#)

If this is anything like the sugar cookie fudge I’ve made, I’d eat the whole pile of it. What’s the texture like?? It almost looks “cookie-ish”.

24. Michelle posted on August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm (#)

Awesome! Yummm – I could sooo go for some of this right now!

25. Jen @ Savory Simple posted on August 2, 2012 at 5:48 am (#)

Those look gorgeous!

26. Nicola posted on August 2, 2012 at 6:22 am (#)

What a great idea! I’m totally with you on not being able to make the same treat twice. This is a fantastic twist on the classic.

27. Val posted on August 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm (#)

A perfect treat for the kiddies.

28. From Sugar Cookies to Peterbilts posted on August 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm (#)

Love this idea! Will have to make for someones birthday treat :)

29. Our Pinteresting Family posted on August 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm (#)

Looks so yummy!

30. Dip It In Chocolate posted on August 4, 2012 at 9:32 pm (#)

I am betting your father in law pretty much loves you!

Looks fabulous.

31. Sue posted on August 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm (#)

What a winning treat! Can’t go wrong where sugar cookies are involved:)

32. Crafty Mischief posted on August 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm (#)

Yum! I can’t wait to try this!

33. Alyssa posted on August 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm (#)

This looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it!!

34. Anonymous posted on August 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm (#)

Just made this with my girls and everyone loves it! Thanks!

35. Pingback: Rainbow Sugar Cookie Bark Recipe - Mom On Timeout

36. Diane {Created by Diane} posted on March 4, 2013 at 8:12 pm (#)

what a SUPER-FUN treat!

37. Pingback: Sugar Cookie Bark — very culinary

38. Pingback: Milky Way Brownie Bites - Crazy for Crust

39. Pingback: Patriotic Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bark - Crazy for Crust

40. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 5 No Bake Desserts

41. Pingback: Sugar Cookie Bark | Food and Everything Else

42. Pingback: Oreo Peppermint Bark - Crazy for Crust

43. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on November 22, 2013 at 1:49 am (#)

This has got to be one of the most unique treats I have ever seen. I love sugar cookies in every which way shape an form and I think I need to add this to that list. Did I miss something – are you coming out with a cookbook? I saw your kitchen pic on Instagram.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 23rd, 2013 at 7:36 am

Yes, I’m in the midst of writing it right now. Hopefully it all works out good and will be out next year (or so I’m told…) :)

44. Theresa posted on December 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm (#)

Oh my goodness! Found the perfect fudge to make my granddaughter! She loves SPRINKLES!!!

45. Linda posted on December 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm (#)

What are white candy melts?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 9th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

There are several options for them. Wilton makes the candy melt (sold at craft stores and Walmart, in the craft section). Candiquik is my favorite, and they sell it at Walmart and most grocery stores this time of year. There is also something called “Almond Bark” also sold at the holidays in most stores, but all year round at Walmart. And of these things would work! You can use white chocolate chips, but those tend to melt in your fingers because of the oils in them. These melts are made for dipping and candy making so they work better.

46. ang posted on December 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm (#)

Made this yesterday and it is so stinkin’ good – it’s crazy good!
    Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

It’s crazy addicting too! Thank you!

47. MaryAnne posted on December 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm (#)

Would this work with chocolate chip cookie mix and chocolate melts?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 15th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes! Same basic recipe. You can use any eggless cookie dough. You can use your favorite cookie dough recipe, in fact, and just leave out the egg. Sub 1 tblsp milk per egg for the moisture needed for the dough to come together. Enjoy!

48. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 7 MORE Holiday Sugar Cookie Recipes

49. Ray Ray Monroe` posted on December 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm (#)

Do these have to be baked in oven?? Or is this an uncooked cookie?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 30th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s an uncooked dough. It’s eggless cookie dough – so no need to worry about getting sick from it! :)

50. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Dough Bars - Crazy for Crust