Oreo Red Velvet Cookie Bars – an easy blondie recipe full of red velvet cookie flavor filled with Oreos and chocolate!
It’s been a rough week you guys. A this time last week I was heading to San Francisco to host a girls weekend with some of my favorite blogger friends. I spent the weekend showing off my favorite city, eating way too much food and overindulging on martinis. This week has been spent on rather mundane things like house duties and, well, work. BORING: I’d rather be spending my days lunching with the ladies and talking about, well, anything but doing what I have to be doing.
Is it me, or is that pretty much the definition of being an adult? Doing things we have to do all day long instead of things we want to do? Tween drama aside, being a kid was way easier. Although I think that maybe being an adult can be more fun, especially when you get to spend weekends with women you consider like sisters.
That all is a long winded way of saying that my brain still won’t work right after my weekend and I’m just trying to buy time writing something interesting today…so let’s talk about these bars before you completely get fed up and click away, mmkay?
I made these bars a few weeks ago for a friend. She LOVES red velvet and needed a little pick-me-up, so I whipped up this easy recipe for her. I decided to post it today because it’s her birthday…and I know she’d love it if I made these again for her. (I’ll probably make some other red velvet goodie for her…like a cupcake or a cheesecake bar.)
These cookie bars start with my favorite blondie base. I made them into red velvet like I did with my red velvet blondies by adding some cocoa and red food coloring. They’re super gooey and thick and rich and they have the perfect touch of red velvet flavor.
I decided that they also needed chocolate because, duh, doesn’t everything need chocolate? A healthy dose of chopped Oreos gets added to the batter and then I sprinkle them with chocolate chips before baking. The result: an ooey gooey Oreo red velvet cookie bar that’s also super chocolatey!
These are perfect for a party, for holiday giving, or because it’s Thursday and you need a little something to get you to the weekend. 🙂
Oreo Red Velvet Cookie Bars
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Oreo cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cream brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add cocoa, baking powder, salt, and flour and mix. Carefully mix in red food coloring, then stir in chopped cookies.
- Press into prepared pan (dough is sticky, spray your hands with cooking spray to avoid it sticking to your hands). Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake or about 22-24 minutes. (Be careful not to overcook - the center will still be jiggly when you take these out of the oven and they will finish cooking and firming up as they cool.) Cool completely before slicing into squares.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: September 29, 2016