This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies combine two loves: mint chips and chocolate chips! If you love chocolate mints, you will love these chewy cookies inspired by my best chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Anyone a fan of Andes candies or other chocolate mints like I am? I love the combination of mint and chocolate, so of course, I had to make chocolate chip cookies with mint chips. And not just any old chocolate chip cookie recipe – for this one, I took my favorite chocolate chip cookies and gave them a minty twist.
Table of Contents
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with Mint Chips
This recipe makes a BIG batch – four dozen cookies! This is the cookie to make for the holidays – you can divide them up for lots of cookie platters unless you want to hoard them all for yourself (I would never judge!).
The cookies have the most amazing texture and flavor – you get chocolate and mint and a hint of toffee flavor from melted butter. I love using melted butter in cookie recipes – sometimes I use browned butter for an even more intense flavor.
You can make the dough ahead of time and keep it in the fridge (or freeze it!). Chilling it gives the baked cookies the best texture – they have the perfect balance of soft and chewy.
Instead of regular chocolate chips, I use mini ones – that way, you get chocolate evenly dispersed in the cookie along with the mint chips. The combination is so good.
Ingredients in Mint Chip Cookies
- Butter: I always start with Uunsalted butter
- Sugar: Granulated sugar and Light brown sugar make these super chewy and soft
- Eggs, Pure vanilla extract, Baking soda, Salt: typical cookie ingredients
- Flour: All-purpose flour is always what I use
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mint chips – chopped Andes candies work, or use your favorite mint chip brand. You can usually find them in the baking aisle.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butter and Sugar: Melt the butter, and then, while it’s still hot, combine it with both kinds of sugar using a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer. Once combined, leave it to cool.
Mix Dry Ingredients: Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set it aside.
Mix the batter: While mixing at a low speed, add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture. Add the vanilla and mix before adding the flour ingredients. Mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips and mint chips.
Form the cookies: Form the cookie dough balls and place them on a baking sheet. Cover and chill them 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Bake: When you’re ready to bake the cookies, place them on a baking sheet two inches apart. Bake them for 10 minutes for slightly underbaked cookies or 12 minutes if you prefer them more done.
Mint Cookies Recipe Tips
CHILL THE DOUGH: I know what you’re thinking, “Dorothy, do I HAVE to chill the dough?” and the answer is, yes, yes, you do. Since the cookies are made with melted butter, you need to firm it up before baking the cookies. This will prevent them from spreading too much. It also gives them a fantastic texture! Soft, chewy, so good.
Size: If you want a bunch of cookies for platters or holiday cookie exchanges, I recommend making the cookies smaller with just one tablespoon of dough. You should get four dozen cookies.
Storing: Once you’ve cooled the cookies, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Or you can freeze them, too!
I love this mint chocolate chip cookie recipe all year, but especially during the holidays because of the festive green color and the mint.
If you’ve never had mint chip cookies, you have to try this recipe. The flavor is amazing! Chocolaty, minty, and so, so good.
Other Favorite Christmas Cookies
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Mint Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup mint chocolate pieces or chopped up Andes mints
- Note: this dough requires chilling!
- Pour butter into an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. While still hot, add both sugars and mix on low until combined. Let sit to cool for a few minutes.
- While butter mixture is cooling, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Turn mixer (with butter mixture bowl attached) on low. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing completely. Mix in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and mint chip pieces.
- Scoop one tablespoon (or two tablespoon) balls of dough and place close together on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. (If the dough is too soft to scoop, you can chill it for 30 minutes first.) Cover the cookie dough balls with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or silpat liners. Place cold cookie dough balls 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. They will be golden on the outside and still doughy on the inside. I like my cookies a little underdone, so I bake them for 10 minutes, but if you like a more done cookie, do 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from pans to cool completely.
Mint Chip Cookies are the best ever chocolate chip cookies with mint chocolate pieces! This is such a great cookie recipe for the holidays or whenever you feel like mint chip!
Last Updated on November 26, 2021