This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
DOUBLE Chocolate ChipCookie Bars for the win! The next time that you’re craving cookie squares that are easy and homemade, look no further than this magical recipe. It just might be the best way to curb those chocolate cravings!
Table of Contents
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
It’s true what they say about chocolate: It can make any frown instantly turn upside down. And since these are the ultimate chocolate chip cookie bars, you know that after one bite, that smile is never going to leave your face.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These double chocolate chip cookies are great for a grab-and-go treat.
- This recipe for chocolate chip cookies bars is fun to bake up together as a family!
- One bite of these chocolate chip cookie dough bars will bump them high up on your favorite dessert list.
Ingredients in Chocolate Cookie Bars
Stop stressing over if this chocolate bar cookies recipe is hard to do. It’s not – trust me! Just gather up the simple ingredients below to get started.
- Unsalted butter: Make sure that it’s melted.
- Granulated sugar: Perfect for a bit of sweetness.
- Light brown sugar: When measuring, pack it down tightly before adding.
- Eggs: Used as the binding agent for the dry ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: I love using pure vanilla extract.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This recipe has been tested with regular cocoa, but you can use Hershey’s Special Dark as well.
- Baking soda: Just a tad bit is needed.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- All-purpose flour: Used as the main batter ingredient for the blondies.
- Chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk): You can also change up the flavor of these and use any type of sweet chocolate chips that you want.
How to make Double Chocolate Chip Bars
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add foil to a 9X13 pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix: Add the melted butter into a bowl and mix in the granulated sugar and brown sugar on low speed. Once combined, add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium speed.
- Add dry ingredients: Mix in the cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Once that is combined, slowly add the flour and mix just until the batter is smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips: Slowly add the chocolate chips and then press the dough into the pan.
- Bake: Put the pan in the oven and bake for 19-24 minutes. Let the bars cool completely before cutting.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
These gooey chocolate cookie bars need to cool before storing. Once they’re cooled down, add them to an airtight container. They are fine to keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you want to freeze this chocolate cookie bars recipe, do so. Just add them to a freezer-safe bag and store them in the freezer.
- Make sure that you don’t overmix the batter for these double chocolate chip cookie bars. Just mix until combined and bake.
- This cookie chocolate bar will firm up as it cools, so give it some time before cutting into it.
It’s so easy to turn cookies into chocolate chip bar recipes! Instead of making individual cookie dough balls, you just add them into a pan in one layer.
Then you bake, cut, and enjoy.
If you’re worried that these chocolate chocolate chip cookie bars aren’t done, just look at the top and the edges. The top should lose the glossy sheen and be lightly golden, and the edges will start to pull away from the sides.
Nope, not at all! Recipes with chocolate bars that don’t have to be chilled are the best. It’s such a huge time saver.
If you omit the baking soda, this will happen. The cookies may also be overbaked, which will cause them to be hard.
Have You Made This Recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Other Cookies and Bars To Try
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are a cookie version of this recipe.
- BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Cookie Bars Recipe
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup (134g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ⅔ cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (310g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place melted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). You can also just use a wooden spoon to mix these! Add granulated and brown sugars and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in cocoa, baking soda, and salt, then slowly mix in flour, and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Press dough into prepared pan. Bake for 19-24 minutes or until they just lose their glossy sheen. Cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Use any kind of chocolate chips or any chips or mix ins (try chopped candy or toffee bits)
- Add ½ cup nuts – any kind!
- For an extra gooey look, top with a few chocolate chips right when they come out of the oven.
- Frost these with chocolate buttercream!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are my favorite extra chocolatey cookie turned into a bar cookie recipe! These are soft and fudgy – like brownies but cookies!