This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball – a sweet appetizer recipe that will knock your Mom’s savory cheeseball out of the water! The next time you need a cheeseball recipe, think of this one.
The BEST Cheese Ball is a Chocolate Cheeseball
It’s a sad, sad time in our household. My husband is depressed: football season is almost over!! *crying*
Last weekend was the last weekend of regular fantasy football. Now it’s the playoffs, which he likes and all, but it’s just not the same. And that all leads up to his favorite day of the year (the big game) followed by a Monday so dark and stormy it should be a government recognized holiday.
My solution to the football playoffs and looming no-football months? Having people over for every playoff game! That way Mel get’s to commiserate with his fellow football lovers and I get to enjoy football food every weekend.
I think I get the better end of that deal, yes?
Football parties in our house tend to be somewhat complicated (although Mel would probably say #wonderfullycomplicated since the football makes it so, you know, wonderful.) If given the choice, Mel would watch all football games all by himself, especially the big one. He wants no interruptions, no talking, and complete focus on the games. I, on the other hand, like friends, food, talking, and noise. So….complicated.
One thing that doesn’t have to be complicated at all? The food!
My sweet dips are pretty popular recipes, especially that old football one I love so much. I’m a total appetizer person, so making a meal out of dips and small bites are kind of my jam. Making an entire dessert table out of sweet appetizers and dessert dips? That would be a winner of a party for me, which is why I’m totally adding this Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball to my rotation from now on.
This Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball is like chocolate cheesecake married a s’more. Is there anything better??
Ingredients in Chocolate Cheese Ball
Obviously, if you’re making a recipe where chocolate is the star, you want it to be good chocolate. I used Scharffen Berger chocolate throughout this recipe.
The base of this Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball consists of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and marshmallow fluff. Then you add in some melted 62% Cacao Semi-Sweet Chocolate to give the dip it’s rich chocolate flavor. I then chopped up some of the 62% Cacao Semi-Sweet Baking Chunks and stirred them into the cheeseball, along with some mini marshmallows. The result? A sweet and chocolatey yet not overpowering dip.
How to make a Sweet Dessert Cheeseball
You could leave it that way, as a dip in a bowl, but I decided to go the cheeseball route. To form the ball, I find that it’s easiest to place the mixture into a plastic wrap lined bowl. That will help form the ball as it chills.
Then, once it’s chilled for awhile, you roll it in more chopped up chocolate to create the outside of the cheeseball. The fluff keeps the ball nice and soft, even once it’s chilled, and it’s perfect served with graham crackers for some authentic s’more flavor.
I put this out at a party last week and it disappeared – fast. I don’t think I’m the only one who can’t get enough of these sweet dips – they’re just too easy to eat! Add that to the fact that they’re so easy to make (seriously, 15 minutes max) and you have a winner recipe for any party, all year long.
You could even shape this Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball into a football and pipe on some laces. Or just eat it with a spoon and don’t share. Either way sounds good to me!
Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball
Chocolate S’mores Cheeseball
- 8 ounces (226g) cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup marshmallow fluff
- 4 ounces (57g) semi-sweet baking chocolate I used Scharffen Berger, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (57g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup semi-sweet baking chunks I used Scharffen Berger, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Beat cream cheese and marshmallow fluff until smooth. Melt 1 ounce of semi-sweet baking chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Beat into cream cheese mixture, then add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth. Stir in chopped baking chunks and marshmallows.
- Line a small bowl with plastic wrap (cereal bowl size). Transfer cheese ball mixture to the bowl and pack to compress, then wrap in plastic. This will form the “ball” shape. Chill at least 1-2 hours before continuing.
- Finely chop the remaining 3 ounces of baking chocolate. Spread on a cutting board. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator. Remove plastic and place on chocolate pieces. Roll to press the chocolate all over the cheeseball, using your hands to form a ball shape.
- Serve immediately with graham crackers, or wrap well and chill for up to 24 hours. (Best served after it’s sat at room temp for about 30 minutes.)
This post has been sponsored by Scharffen Berger. All opinions are 100% my own.
Last Updated on January 11, 2022