This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Pesto Flatbread Pizza Recipe with caramelized onions – this EASY 4 ingredient pizza recipe is the perfect appetizer. Pesto, caramelized onions, and mozzarella baked onto a pizza crust – every time I make this people rave about it!
Best Flatbread Pizza Recipe
Table of Contents
Caramelized onion pesto flatbread is one of those easy appetizer recipes that I make for every party. Every single one! It’s always the first thing to disappear and people always rave about how amazing it is. I say thank you while they ooooh and aaaaah and pretend I slaved over a hot stove all day, when in fact it, takes less than 30 minutes to make this recipe.
Flatbread Pizza is so easy to make when you start with a prepared pizza crust and then top it with pesto and onions!
Ingredients in Easy Flatbread Pizza
- Pizza Crust – I love taking semi-homemade help from the store and using Pillsbury pizza crust but this would also work with my homemade pizza crust recipe.
- Pesto – While pizza sauce is great, homemade pesto is even better!
- Onions – I cook these in some olive oil to get them all nice and caramelized for the top.
- Mozzarella Cheese – shred your own cheese for best melting!
How to caramelize onions:
The onions are the most labor intensive thing to make for this recipe and even they’re easy! Usually I’ll make a big batch to use over a few days. I simply cook my onions over medium heat in some oil with a sprinkling of sugar until they’re browned and caramelized. I don’t love onions but I love them when they’re caramelized!!
How to make a flatbread pizza
- Spread your dough out onto a cookie sheet brushed with olive oil.
- Top with pesto, cheese, and onions.
- Bake then eat!
I think of flatbread dough as a thinner crust pizza. Some restaurants make it crunchy and think like a cracker, but my recipe uses pizza crust.
Cook the pizza at a high temperature to get a crisp bottom.
The best way to reheat leftover pizza is in the air fryer or a frying pan to crisp up the bottom!
Caramelized Onion Pesto Flatbread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 prepared pizza crust (from scratch or from the refrigerated section, like Pillsbury)
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 10-12” skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Swirl around the pan, then add the sliced onions. Sprinkle the onions with the sugar and toss to coat. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes over medium low, stirring often, until they start to brown, then remove the cover and continue cooking an additional 3-7 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are soft and caramel in color. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unroll pizza crust. You can also use a prepared pizza crust (homemade or store-bought), one that makes one 12” pizza, but make it into a rectangle or an oblong rectangle.
- Spread the pesto over the top of the pizza crust. Sprinkle with cheese and spread the cooled caramelized onions over the top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom and edges are browned and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve warm.
Other Favorite Pizza Recipes
- Click HERE for more PIZZA RECIPES!
- Click here for my ultimate Football Party Menu!
- Pesto Corn and Avocado Pizza
- Sheet Pan Pizza
Our favorite Flatbread pizza recipe – pesto pizza with caramelized onions! This is a great appetizer or main course – easy to make with semi-homemade pizza dough.
Last Updated on January 21, 2023
OMIGOSHHH I KNOW THERE NEEDS TO BE AN UNDO OPTION!!
Anyway. In other perfect ideas news….CARAMELIZED ONIONS and pesto on a flatbread pizzzaaa that is total heaven to me. I love it!
Rut-roh. I hope that both you and the person just ended up having a good laugh about the whole thing.
And if not, well. Nobody can be mad at you when they have a mouthful of this awesome pizza,
Looks great 🙂 Luckily with Outlook emails you can recall them, unless they have been quicker than you and have already opened it. I know the feeling!
This looks heavenly. As for unsending email, I used to be able to do that at work when we used Outlook. As long as the receiver had not opened it yet, I could get it back. Not sure if it was a special feature for my work or something Outlook offers…
caramelized onion…YES!! I am loving everyting on this flatbread. I would totally make this for dinner
I feel like anythings with pesto or caramelized onions is going to be tasty. So this recipe with both will probably be really amazing. I will get my boyfriend to buy these ingredients and we’re definitely going to try it out. Thank you.
This is perfect for parties and I can see why it would disappear! Just the other day I sent a message on FB messenger to the wrong person..thankfully it was nothing juicy. But it made me look like a moron no doubt 🙂
This looks amazing – I”d love to eat this for lunch or dinner today!
I sent a text to the wrong person last week and was completely mortified. I’m embarrassed again just thinking about it! I would pay and the for an app with instant recall!
On a more positive note, this flatbread looks amazing!
Sounds great for the weekend! I love flatbreads, they make me feel like I’m not eating pizza. 😉
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog