Jun 25

Pie Crust Ice Cream Bowls

Plain ice cream bowls are so boring. And they’re so not eco-friendly.

With one ingredient you can make your own edible ice cream bowls – out of pie crust!

It’s like ice cream pie…but way better.

Make Ice Cream Pie with Homemade Pie Crust Bowls!

Have you ever had one of those Duh! moments?

Like when you cannot find your sunglasses…and they’re on your head?

Or you tear the whole house apart looking for your phone…and it’s in your purse?

Or when you realize that s’mores are so much better made with Thin Mints?

Or the lamp won’t turn on no matter what you do and you realize that someone turned it off with the chain instead of the switch?

Or, when you realize that you’ve been wasting water washing ice cream bowls for 30 years instead of making them out of pie crust?

Make an edible ice cream bowl out of pie crust!

I mean, honestly. I have a CRUST WEBSITE. And I never thought of this before? Where do I go from here? Is there redemption?

#PleaseSayYes

You’ll forgive me, right? Because this is such a genius idea? Because ice cream pie = the bomb so ice cream bowls made out of pie crust that end up tasting like ice cream pie are thebombdotcom?

You only need one ingredient for this recipe. Unless you use my from scratch all butter pie crust, in which case you need 4.

Still, it’s easy. And easy is also thebombdotcom.

Here’s how to make them:

Ice Cream Pie (1 of 10)

Cut circles of pie crust. I love Pillsbury pie crust. It’s good and it performs well every time. I used a regular sized cupcake pan for this. Turn it over, spray it generously with cooking spray, and wrap the crust circles around the cupcake cavities. Then bake them.

(You can make minis using a mini muffin pan!)

Ice Cream Pie (2 of 10)

That’s how they look once they’ve baked and cooled. They should pop right off once cool. Be careful with them – they’re fragile!

Pie Crust Bowls are the BEST way to eat ice cream!

Next step: pick your favorite ice cream and toppings. The options are endless.

I used vanilla because my prop ice cream is vanilla. Food bloggers, tell me I’m not alone. I have a container in my freezer that has been softened and scooped and re-frozen and had old scoops tossed back in that it’s a medley of 123 different recipes and it’s got ice crystals. That way I don’t have to eat all of the ones I make.

But I did eat one.

Ice Cream Pie in bowls made of pie crust!

Chocolate sauce + sprinkles + cherry. Best sundae ever!

With the pie crust it just adds another layer of flavor. They’re not as crunchy as a waffle cone bowl, but I like it better because it’s crust.

Duh.

One ingredient pie crust ice cream bowls - perfect to make ice cream pie!

These are perfect for a party. Make a bunch and have them out for a make your own sundae party. Or, make the bowls, scoop ice cream in, then refreeze and serve for at a topping bar party.

The kids are going to love it. I promise!

Ice Cream Pie Crust Bowls. Just…yes.

Pie Crust Ice Cream Bowls

Yield: 8-10 bowls

Pie Crust Ice Cream Bowls

Ice Cream Bowls that are made out of pie crust. They taste like an ice cream pie and you can serve them with any flavor you want!

• 1 9” pie crust, cold (from a pack of two; I use Pillsbury) or you can make it from scratch
  • Ice Cream
  • Sprinkles, ice cream toppings, whipped cream, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Unroll your pie crust and cut 3 1/2” circles with a round cookie cutter. (If you’re using a scratch crust, make sure it’s chilled after rolling like I talk about in this post.)
  2. Spray the bottom of a cupcake pan with cooking spray. Wrap each crust circle around the inverted cupcake pan cavities. Prick the tops of each with the tines of a fork to reduce bubbling.
  3. With re-rolling your crust, you’ll get 8-10 pie crust bowls. Double the recipe using two pie crusts as needed.
  4. Bake for about 11 minutes, until the crusts are a light golden color. Cool completely, then gently remove from the muffin pan. (Be careful - they’re fragile!)
  5. Fill with scoops of ice cream and toppings like chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Use your favorites!

Notes

This recipe is easy to double or triple or...whatever. Just use another pie crust for an additional 8-10 bowls.

Skinny & Easy Lemon Ice Cream

Skinny Lemon Ice Cream 2 words

Seven Layer Ice Cream Pie

seven-layer-ice-cream-pie (3 of 11)w

Almond Joy Mini Pies

Almond Joy Mini Pies (2 of 4)w

Baked Apple Ice Cream Bowls by Domestic Fits
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Bowls by Two Peas and their Pod
Easy Caramel Sauce Recipe by Something Swanky

40 Responses to “Pie Crust Ice Cream Bowls”

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on June 25, 2014 at 3:23 am (#)

OMG! I have always loved the pie crust way more than the filling. In fact, my grandma used to make pie, and then make a separate mini crust for me to eat. SO, with ice cream? This is exactly what my life needs. Pinned!

2. Librarian Lavender posted on June 25, 2014 at 3:51 am (#)

What a great idea! This is an even better way to eat ice cream and I like that so much! I’m definitely going to try this!

3. Mir posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:06 am (#)

This is total genius! Love it! This is how my ice cream will happen from now on!
    Try the s’mores with Tagalongs, too. Amazing!

4. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:39 am (#)

I have those “duh” moments all the time, so I totally know how you feel! What a genius idea to make pie crust bowls! I love how easy these are, and of course, tasty too! Pinned!

5. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:26 am (#)

Oh my gosh this is sheer genius! What an amazing idea Dorothy!! Totally love it! Pinned :)

6. Melanie @ Carmel Moments posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:45 am (#)

I love your creativity! These are so fun. Gotta make them this summer.
    Kids would love it!
    Have a great day Dorothy!

7. Chichi posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:50 am (#)

Love the idea of making ice cream bowls from pie crust. Wonderful idea

8. Amanda posted on June 25, 2014 at 7:24 am (#)

Love this idea! So cute and fun! :)

9. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on June 25, 2014 at 8:15 am (#)

LIGHTBULB! Omigosh yessss-why wash ice cream bowls when you can eat ice cream OUT OF PIE CRUST BOWLS??! GEEEEENIUS! So delish. yesssss

10. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on June 25, 2014 at 9:57 am (#)

WHAT A CLEVER IDEA! Love this Dorothy! Leave it to the queen of crust to make crust I want to eat :) pinned of course!

11. Rachel Cooks posted on June 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm (#)

These are so fun and the possibilities are endless! Love them!

13. Lisa Green posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:16 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, such an awesome idea. I have to have these!

14. Laurie F. posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:36 pm (#)

You are the queen of great ideas! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

15. Cate @ Chez CateyLou posted on June 25, 2014 at 4:59 pm (#)

These are GENIUS!! Seriously – such a great and cute idea, I’m obsessed! You bring up such a good question – why have I been wasting time washing ice cream bowls?? Pie Crust Bowls are my new favorite!

16. Danielle posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:07 pm (#)

Such a cute idea! Anything that’s a vessel for eating ice cream is a winner in my book, plus you can eat it too!

17. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm (#)

Beyond obsessed Dorothy! And I can’t wait to try them :)

18. Mary Frances posted on June 25, 2014 at 5:37 pm (#)

Yep, those duh moments are the best. The sunglasses one gets me every time. Or the one where you try to call someone and you hear the phone ringing in the house …
    This is like ice cream pie but SO better. Buttery pie crust + rich ice cream + sprinkles (!!!) = summer reinvented. What an amazing summer dessert! Heck, I plan on eating this all year round :)

19. Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled posted on June 25, 2014 at 6:19 pm (#)

OMG! These are super cute and I love how easy they are to make! Pinned :)

20. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on June 25, 2014 at 6:37 pm (#)

This is one of those things that you see and then hit your head like duh that’s amazing!! Perfect for a party!!

21. Kyla @ Two Cups Cacao posted on June 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm (#)

Oh my gosh. You are a genius. I have no words to describe how incredible this looks.

22. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on June 25, 2014 at 7:57 pm (#)

This idea is GENIUS! I cant wait to tell my Mom. We are doing a girls weekend soon… and we have a list of things we want to try… This is so going on the list. Love! Pinned!

23. Jessica @ Sweet Menu posted on June 25, 2014 at 8:33 pm (#)

Aw brilliant idea! Sooo cute too!

24. Ashton posted on June 26, 2014 at 4:45 am (#)

Yes! I always have nasty, old, crystalized vanilla in my freezer just for photos :) And these turned out so great!! Love them. And ice cream pie > doing dishes, so duh, this is the right thing to do. Pinned :)

25. Anne Squire posted on June 26, 2014 at 7:54 am (#)

You can also make this with thinly rolled sugar cookie dough. They make good mini cupcake size one-bite bowls.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 26th, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I’ve seen those before Anne! I bet they’re amazing!

26. Kristyn posted on June 26, 2014 at 8:33 am (#)

Such a BRILLIANT idea – so cute too!!

27. Kathy E posted on June 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm (#)

I’m doing this today. Such a great idea as when i buy pie crusts there are usually two and the second one ends up sitting in the freezer for a long time.

28. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on June 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm (#)

Oh my gosh Dorothy, this is beyond brilliant! Love this idea and yay to no more washing ice cream bowls =) Pinned :)

29. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on June 28, 2014 at 10:41 am (#)

In addition to my “ah-ha” moment of these awesome pie crust bowls, I just has an “ah-ha” moment about saving “prop ice cream”. Like what the heck? That’s genius and now I am wondering how many containers of ice cream I have bought for props. LOL

30. Pingback: June Monthly Mixer Part 1

31. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on June 30, 2014 at 10:21 pm (#)

Ohmygosh Dorothy you are BRILLIANT. Not only with your pie crust ice cream bowls (DUH!), but with your prop vanilla ice cream. I had never even thought of something like that — I just avoided most ice cream desserts so I wouldn’t waste or eat it all. As soon as we move and I hopefully get an outdoor freezer (so we don’t have to store 27 of my guy’s favorite frozen pizzas in the house), I’m definitely doing that. GAH why can’t we live closer so I could visit you more often and take notes on all of your incredible tips??

32. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on July 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm (#)

These are adorable, Dorothy!

33. Pingback: 28 Next-Level Ways To Eat Ice Cream | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

34. Pingback: 28 Next-Level Ways To Eat Ice Cream | Stash Feed

35. Pingback: » 17 Desserts Recipes That Will Blow Your MouthPictissimo | Pictissimo

36. Julianne Trimble posted on August 17, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

A love the way you blog ! You are so down to earth you made me laugh and all I wanted to do is keep reading more! I want to try the apple crumb pie . thanks again for the laugh, I will keep looking in on your blog! GREAT SITE Julie Trimble

37. Pingback: 29 Maneras de comer helado | V1H