Apr 29

Margarita Sangria

I know it’s only the middle of the week. But we can pretend it’s Friday somewhere right?

Plus, posting this earlier in the week makes it so you can shop for all the ingredients before the weekend. Or, you can make Margarita Sangria to go with dinner tonight. No judgement, just jealousy. I’m all out of this sangria, so invite me over for some, mmkay?

Margarita Sangria - the perfect blend of a margarita and a bottle of wine!

Let’s talk about sangria for a minute. It seems like a very grown-up drink to me, or am I crazy? I mean, as a teenager young 21-year old we didn’t go around drinking sangria from pitchers filled with fresh fruit. We bought $2 Boone’s Strawberry Hill. Or we’d splurge for a 6-pack of Zima. Remember Zima?

Anyway.

Once I grew up and got married and started to go to grown-up BBQs and parties, sangria was always served, and I avoided it like the plague. To me, sangria meant red wine and a bunch of fruit, and OMG I hate red wine.

{Wine is supposed to be cold and crisp. Red wine is neither.}

Only last summer did I realize that sangria could be made with white wine. I was shocked, awed, and couldn’t wait for my next party so I could make my own. Fast forward 8 months and I made a delicious strawberry lemon sangria for my blogger party.

{That’s not this one. I still need to remake and shoot that one, it was so awesome.}

After drinking too much of that one, I knew I needed to make another version. Sangria is my new favorite thing, after all. Since Cinco de Mayo is next week, I wanted margaritas.

Then it hit me. Margaritas + Sangria. Margarita Sangria!

Margarita Sangria - the perfect blend of a margarita and a bottle of wine!

This recipe has all the flavors of a margarita mixed with wine. It’s like my two BFFs came to live with me.

There are just a few simple parts to sangria.

Fruit: limes, lemons, and oranges. Use all limes, or mix it up like I did.

Wine: a bottle of your favorite sauvignon blanc. You don’t have to buy the most expensive bottle, but get something you’d like to drink plain. I like to shop wine sales or warehouse stores. Get a bottle that’s normally over $10 but marked down to $7-8 and you can figure it’s a pretty good bottle.

{And wine connoisseurs all over just rolled their eyes at me. Whatever, I also mix wines when a glass isn’t full enough.}

Hard liquor (for this, tequila): again, I use a lower end because I’m cheap. Use your favorite.

I added in some margarita mix and sugar to make it more margarita-like. I also like my drinks sweeter, so you can adjust the sugar/mix as you like for your taste. Or you can omit the margarita mix and use fresh lime juice, if you want. Like I said, I need my drinks sweet!

The last component? Club soda. You add it right before serving and it not only allows it to serve more people, but it gives a little fizzy kick.

{Remember, I used to love Zima…}

Margarita Sangria - the perfect blend of a margarita and a bottle of wine!

Add all your ingredients (except the club soda) to a pretty pitcher and chill it for a few hours. You want the flavors to have time to mix.

Then you just have to decide: with salt or without? I’m not a salt girl. I’d rather use sugar. You can use either, or skip it altogether. Feel free to add more club soda, or less, depending on how strong you want your sangria.

This margarita sangria would be perfect next to a huge plate of nachos and fajitas and tacos and beans and guacamole next week.

Or, serve it with brownies like I like to. Your choice. :)

Margarita Sangria - the perfect blend of a margarita and a bottle of wine!

Give sangria a try. Or, don’t. Once I tried it I can’t stop making it, so you run that risk. ;)

Enjoy!

Margarita Sangria

Yield: 8-12 servings

Margarita Sangria

• 1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc
  • 1/2 cup tequila
  • 3/4 cup margarita mix (non-alcoholic)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 limes, sliced
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced
  • 1/2 small orange, sliced
  • 2 cups club soda, cold

1. Stir together the wine, tequila, margarita mix, and sugar in a large pitcher. I like my drinks sweeter, which is why I added sugar and lots of margarita mix. You can cut back on those amounts if you like things less sweet.
  2. Add sliced fruit to the pitcher. Chill until ready to serve. Before serving, add cold club soda to the pitcher.
  3. Serve over ice with a salted or sugared rim, if desired.

Watermelon Lemonade Margarita

watermelon-lemonade-margarita (5 of 6)w

Raspberry Arnold Palmer

raspberry-arnold-palmer (9 of 14)w

The Best Homemade Margaritas by Averie Cooks
Avocado Margaritas by Cookin’ Canuck
65 Sweet Drinks & Smoothies by Something Swanky

30 Responses to “Margarita Sangria”

1. Mir posted on April 29, 2014 at 3:24 am (#)

I am about to fall over. You’ve just combined two of my favorite drinks. Wine and margarita? Yes, please! I love love love this idea!!

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on April 29, 2014 at 3:54 am (#)

Remember how last week you did a lime recipe and I said I have actually two coming, well, I did my margaritas (thanks for the linkup and shoutout!) and have a new lime bar recipe today. Great minds are thinking alike with all this lime and margs. With sangria … genius! I would guzzle a couple of these babies in a heartbeat!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2014 at 7:14 am

I totally almost did lime bars too. Ha!!! :)

3. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on April 29, 2014 at 6:20 am (#)

Definitely like the idea of pretending it’s Friday! :) These are gorgeous and colorful. Such beautiful pictures Dorothy!

4. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on April 29, 2014 at 6:50 am (#)

Ummmmm . . . WANT. NOW. Also, you are a freaking genius for mixing wine and tequila. Also, I totally remember ZIMA, and my husband does even more (which I like to mock him with). Also, did you ever throw up blue Boone’s? I mean, not that I did or anything, I’m just imagining how disturbing that would be . . . Finally, thanks for then link love! We should really live closer. Just imagine all the drinky goodness we could come up with together!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 29th, 2014 at 7:13 am

LOL. I don’t think I ever did, thank goodness. But I can kind of imagine it… ;)

5. miss messy posted on April 29, 2014 at 7:47 am (#)

What a fantastic combination! This looks wonderful. I can definitely pretend it’s friday to have one of these. Having said that when I mix my alcohol I usually need a little extra time in bed hehe.

6. Mademoiselle Gourmande posted on April 29, 2014 at 7:58 am (#)

I looooove the idea of combining those two. I mean I like the regular sangria. However, I feel like I would like this one even more. Lime is always such a good idea..

7. Matt Robinson posted on April 29, 2014 at 8:43 am (#)

Such a great combination and your honesty cracks me up! Can’t wait to try this soon!

8. Tanya Schroeder posted on April 29, 2014 at 9:24 am (#)

OMG, I totally forgot about Zima!! That is so great! This is having the best of both worlds. I love this drink Dorothy!

9. maryanne posted on April 29, 2014 at 9:49 am (#)

I am so going to try this but looking for that strawberry lemon sangria too!!

11. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on April 29, 2014 at 10:51 am (#)

A margarita AND sangria? Sign me up! This looks absolutely delish!

12. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on April 29, 2014 at 11:00 am (#)

Cheap tequilla works for me! Pinned and will be made shortly ;)

13. Danae @ Recipe Runner posted on April 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm (#)

Margaritas in sangria form, love this! I’m definitely a sweeter drink kind of girl so this refreshing cocktail is calling my name!

14. Wendy posted on April 29, 2014 at 5:35 pm (#)

This is a delicious, summery, refreshing mixed drink! I might use less sweet and more citrus because I prefer a sweet-tart mixed drink. Playing with drink ingredients until you get your best personal preference balance is half the fun. The other half is drinking it!

15. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on April 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm (#)

Why wait for Friday when it’s ALWAYS 5 o’clock somewhere?? ;) I’m still not a big drinker — I’ve barely drank since the summer I turned 21 due to a second round of mono, oof! — but if it’s something fruity and refreshing, count me in! Your sangria at the party must have been incredible because it looked like every single adult had a glass. No joke! And I’m all about the sweetness, not salt. I’ll save that for my pretzels instead!

16. Tieghan posted on April 29, 2014 at 8:57 pm (#)

These are so fun and summery!! Ya!

17. Lisa F. posted on April 29, 2014 at 11:58 pm (#)

Seriously were we separated at birth? I loved Boone’s Strawberry Hill and miss Zima bottles so much. To me wine was always a wine cooler black cherry. Aww miss those days, but yes i have gotten better at expanding my drinking choices. Sangria, love it! Margaritas, love it! Moscato, love it! I feel ya when it cube comes to mixed drinks sometimes cheap is good. Thanks for this new twist on two favorites. They are on the menu for this weekend. Yay!

• Lisa F. replied on April 30th, 2014 at 12:17 am

And i came to the realization that piña coladas aren’t just to sip by the beach kind of drinks. Ha! Google recipe for cocito if coconut is in the near future, yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Yes! Mine was strawberry though. :) Thanks so much Lisa!

18. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on April 30, 2014 at 12:53 am (#)

I can definitely pretend it’s Friday just so I can have one of these sangrias!:) These are so pretty and colorful! Love this fantastic combo!

19. tahnycooks posted on April 30, 2014 at 9:57 am (#)

I love the colors of this super refreshing and “healthy” drink!

20. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on April 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm (#)

Doesn’t everyone serve sangria with brownies? ;-)

These sound sooooo good! I love red wine but HATE red wine sangria. All the fruit and the coldness…just tastes so wrong. But yours…yes, this is a drink worth making! Pretty excited to try it…and Hubs just left town so that means I can keep it all to myself. #selfishandnotevensorry

21. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Recipes! - Life In The Lofthouse

22. Jocelyn@Brucrewlife posted on May 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm (#)

These sangrias paired with a big ol’ plate of Mexican brownies, and I’m good to go for Cinco de Mayo! :) Pinned!

23. Pingback: Crust and Crumbs 12 - Crazy for Crust