Feb 23

Samoa Magic Bars

No actual Samoas were harmed in the making of these magic bars.

These Samoa Magic Bars just taste like the real thing…so you can have your magic bars and your Caramel deLites too!

Samoa Magic Bars | crazyforcrust.com | A magic seven layer bar filled with the flavors of Samoa Girl Scout Cookies!

So, what are Girl Scout cookies up to now? $4.50 a pop? Seriously, they’re the only cookie that’ll I spend that much on for such a small box. I mean, each box is one serving (maybe two), am I right?

Jordan was a Girl Scout for a hot minute back in Kindergarten and First Grade. By Christmastime in Second Grade she was hemming and hawing about continuing; it really wasn’t for her.

I made sure she quit before cookie sales started. I’m a smart mom, after all. Because a 5 or 6 year old selling cookies? Means I’m selling cookies. I did that for several years back in the day myself, thankyouverymuch. #mamaaintgottimeforthat

So now we just live off the GS cookie stash in the freezer. You GS moms know it; it’s the one you have because your daughter had to get to the next tier so instead of paying your mortgage last January, you paid for cookies.

Well, you’ll be delighted to know that these Samoa Magic Bars don’t actually use the girl scout cookies. So you can have them now, even if your shipment hasn’t come in.

You can have them in June, when you’ve run out.

Or you can make them AND eat that box of Caramel deLites.

{BTW, which is it? Samoa or Caramel deLite? Why do they always change the darn names??!!}

Whatever they’re called, they are the most wonderful combo ever: shortbread, caramel, coconut, and chocolate. To. Die. For.

So are these bars.

These bars have a shortbread crust. It’s pre-baked for 10 minutes before you add the toppings.

The toppings are reminiscent of that amazing girl scout cookie: chocolate chips, caramel bits, and coconut. I used Kraft Caramel Bits for my caramel layer. They’re little balls of caramel sold near the bags of caramel squares. If you can’t find them, you can use caramel squares, or even Rolos.

The magic comes from the sweetened condensed milk: you pour it over the top of the bars before baking and it melts all the goodness together. You’ll notice in the recipe I call for fat-free sweetened condensed milk. It’s what I prefer, but you can use regular as well.

These are gooey, sweet, and they taste like Samoas! The perfect way to get your girl scout cookie fix…no matter what month it is!

Oh, and these are, like, totally addicting. Beware!

Samoa Magic Bars

Samoa Magic Bars

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
  • 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cup Kraft caramel bits (or about 18 square caramels, cut in half)
  • 1 can (14 ounces) regular or fat-free sweetened condensed milk

1. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. The foil is optional, but helps aid in removing these from the pan.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  3. Beat butter in a stand mixer until smooth. Mix in flour, sugar, and salt. Beat until the mixture is crumbly. It’s done mixing when you can press it together between your fingers and it sticks together. (You can use a hand mixer but it will take a really long time to come together, FYI.) Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove hot crust from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut, and caramels. (Note: if you can’t find caramels or caramel bits, you can use Rolos or Caramel Hershey’s Kisses, chopped.)
  5. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden around the edges. Cool completely before cutting.
  6. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. These can be frozen in a single layer in a resealable plastic bag or plastic container.

Magic Bar Bark

Magic Bark Bark (2 of 4)w

Cookies ‘n Cream Magic Bars

cookies n' cream magic bars

Brownie Peanut Butter Magic Bars

Brownie Peanut Butter Magic Bars by www.crazyforcrust | A brownie crust topped with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Nutella Magic Bars by Roxana’s Home Baking
Snickerdoodle Seven Layer Cookie Cups by Beyond Frosting
Reese’s Oreo Magic Cookie Bars by Something Swanky

74 Responses to “Samoa Magic Bars”

1. Mom posted on February 23, 2014 at 7:25 am (#)

These sound absolutely yummy! And by the way, I paid $5 for 1 box of GS cookies this year!!!
    xoxo, Mom

2. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on February 23, 2014 at 7:41 am (#)

Bahahaa we totally had a freezer full of girl scout cookies!!! So we had them all year long (and to help me reach my tiers :P)

LOVE Samoas so I loooove these delish bars!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Thanks Kayle!!

3. Shaina posted on February 23, 2014 at 7:49 am (#)

Samoas are by FAR the best GS cookie! I have to make these!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Enjoy Shaina!!

4. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on February 23, 2014 at 8:11 am (#)

Each box of GS cookies is ONE serving. Fact.

I wish I had a freezer full of GS cookies. I can never find a Girl Scout around Midtown, Atlanta. That is what I get for living in a high-rise with zero children. So luckily I have you! And now I can make my own!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I like the way you think! :) We didn’t have any door-to-door but we are assaulted at every grocery store. :)

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 23, 2014 at 10:22 am (#)

They’re gorgeous! I love Samoas. AND Magic Bars. Cannot think of a better pairing! Pinned :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the pins as always my friend! :)

6. Heather @ French Press posted on February 23, 2014 at 10:40 am (#)

LOVE! I just had a magic bar fail :(

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Ugh that’s the worst. I had a fail a few weeks ago. HOW DO THEY FAIL????

7. Emily @ Life on Food posted on February 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm (#)

I always treat myself to one box of cookies a year. $4.50 though, yikes!! I haven’t seen any sellers out and about this year. These bars will do the trick for me. They look amazing and Samoas are my favorite.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Thanks Emily!

8. Amy posted on February 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm (#)

They will (and should!) always be “Samoas” to me. Regardless of whatever shenanigans the Girl Scout Cookie Naming Department decides to call them. ;) They were my favorite cookie flavor growing up, even more than Tagalongs and Thin Mints, and I didn’t even like coconut, outside of those cookies! I only joined Girl Scouts for two years in elementary school, just to go to Camporee. (My family was big on camping; we went twice each summer.) I actually refused to sell cookies one year, and I got in big trouble from my Troop leaders… So I quit and my mom formed her own Troop where we didn’t have to sell any and just went rock climbing and camping instead. Much better!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Your mom sounds cool. Jordan would have loved THAT troupe!

• Amy replied on February 23rd, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Still, I’m sure Jordan enjoys her drama/acting classes even more! ;)

9. Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled posted on February 23, 2014 at 4:52 pm (#)

These look so delicious! I love sama GS cookies and magic bars are the best, I will defiantly be making these! Pinning :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the pin Jenn!

10. Laurie F. posted on February 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm (#)

“Mom”, I just want you to know that here in Reno, Girl Scouts are selling the cookies for $4.00 per box. Come on up! And Dorothy, those look delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:33 am

Wow, so they jack up the price in different areas???? Wow.

11. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on February 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm (#)

Ok ok ok. Samoas (and Thin Mints!) are the best Girl Scout cookies. Which means that this is one of the best magic bar ideas I’ve ever seen. Sooooo good. I want a huge piece right now. Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the pin Erin!

12. Leslie posted on February 23, 2014 at 6:38 pm (#)

These look so good, so do those awesome Girl Scout cookies. I wish I wasn’t allergic to coconut. Grrr.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:32 am

Boo! Well, you can leave it out. Add more chocolate or some nuts instead!

13. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm (#)

Always caramel delights for me growing up! I love the idea of these magic bars and thanks for linking up to my cookie cups!

14. Regan posted on February 23, 2014 at 9:13 pm (#)

THANK YOU!!!!! We don’t have any girl scouts in our area, and there aren’tany hanging out in front of the grocery store, either! Where have they all gone? All I know is I’ve been really needing some Samoa cookies……and now I can make them! You ROCK! Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:32 am

Enjoy Regan!! And if you’re jonesing for some of the actual cookies, Keebler makes a good impersonation. :)

15. Layla @ Brunch Time Baker posted on February 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm (#)

Ahhh these bars look sooo good!! Can’t wait to try them!

16. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on February 24, 2014 at 4:32 am (#)

Mortgage or cookies? Hmm…cookies! I like the fact that I don’t need to wait for a Girl Scout to come knocking at my door before I can make these. Love that gooey top! Pinned.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:28 am

Thanks Jennie!

17. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on February 24, 2014 at 5:16 am (#)

It will always be Samoas to me…even though I dodge every single girl scout I see. No way am I paying over $4 a box for one serving of cookies. Especially not when I can make a big pan of these yummy gooey bars that taste just as good…actually better!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:28 am

Exactly…or buy the Keebler equivalent! :)

18. Niki posted on February 24, 2014 at 5:21 am (#)

Feeling your pain with selling GS cookies. I’m cookie mom again this year, I love doing that for my daugther, but tomorrow I will be buried beneath 1,000 boxes of cookies in my dining room. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:28 am

You’re my hero Niki!!

19. Beth @ bethcakes posted on February 24, 2014 at 7:45 am (#)

These bars look wonderful! I love that you made a completely from scratch version. I was in Girl Scouts for a really long time when I was younger and they were always Samoas. I got on their website a few weeks ago to see which cookies I wanted and saw that they go by both Samoas and Caramel DeLites. Not sure what the point of that is, haha. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

It must be by region or something. Why? I don’t know!!

• Kristen replied on March 3rd, 2014 at 12:58 pm

It depends on what bakery they are baked at! One bakery makes Tagalongs and Samoas while the other makes Peanut Butter Patties and Caramel DeLites! They are actually different cookies believe it or not. Samoas have dark chocolate :-)

20. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on February 24, 2014 at 8:05 am (#)

You are so right about the price of the cookies! I pay that much only for GS cookies. And I can totally kill a box of Samoas by myself in one sitting. I love these bars and that they don’t actually use the cookies – samoas all year long!! Pinning!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the pin Lindsay!

21. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on February 24, 2014 at 8:12 am (#)

Pretty sure that these bars taste better than GS cookies! Can’t go wrong pouring sweetened condensed milk over chocolate, coconut, and caramel!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

No, you really can’t! :) Thanks Jessica!

22. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on February 24, 2014 at 9:25 am (#)

LOVE these Dorothy! I am game for any and ALL magic bars! Pinned and sharing on FB :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for pinning and sharing!!

23. Kathy posted on February 24, 2014 at 11:06 am (#)

Wow! These look fabulous! I love samoa’s!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Kathy!

24. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on February 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm (#)

I have a hard time paying for GS cookies too. So expensive. Love that these magic bars taste like my favorite cookie, and make more for the money too :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Exactly!! Thanks Aimee!

25. Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking posted on February 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm (#)

Oooooo samoas are my favorite!!! I normally buy at least a box and then freeze it…. that box doesn’t last long so this recipe will definitely come in handy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 24th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thanks Stefanie!

26. Ashton posted on February 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm (#)

ohemgee. I need these NOWWWWWW! You are officially the queen of all things coconutty!

27. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker posted on February 24, 2014 at 7:26 pm (#)

Samoa is my favorite GS cookie. These bars are amazing and I am so glad no samoa cookies come in harm here :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 25th, 2014 at 6:36 am

Thanks Zainab!

28. Lucy posted on February 25, 2014 at 5:13 am (#)

How long do these take to make? They look so good, I want to make them today but I don’t have much time. ANyone know?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 25th, 2014 at 6:34 am

From start to finish, less than an hour!

29. Pingback: No Bake Samoa Cheesecake - Life Love and Sugar

30. Kelly posted on February 25, 2014 at 7:16 am (#)

Oh my goodness, these look amazing Dorothy! Samoas are my favorite GS cookies and I am so glad I can enjoy them anytime I have the craving now without having to dish out over $4 for a box. Love these and can’t wait to try them – pinned:)

31. Iram posted on February 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm (#)

Hi! I just made these today. I’ve been thinking of them ever since u posted them. They turned out quite nice! And I loved how the kitchen smelled when it was baking. :) t c dorothy

32. Connie posted on February 26, 2014 at 8:07 am (#)

These bars look amazing! Samoa is my favorite Girl Scout cookie so these are right up my alley. I’ve tried both the Samoa and Caramel De-Lites, I definitely prefer the Samoa cookie. I feel that it is richer, has more sticky caramel and coconut, and generally tastier than its counterpart.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I had no idea they had different tastes! So strange!

33. Kristyn posted on February 26, 2014 at 8:51 am (#)

Samoas are my hubby’s favorite! Definitely need to make these for him. Thanks!

34. Kendra @ Prepping Parties posted on February 26, 2014 at 8:58 am (#)

Anything with Samoas is an A+ in my book! Can’t wait to make these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Enjoy Kendra!! Thanks!!

35. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventure posted on February 27, 2014 at 11:12 am (#)

I wish a box was a serving! It’s probably more like 1/3 a cookie is a serving :)

36. Pingback: 25 Amazing Samoa Recipes

37. Risa posted on February 28, 2014 at 6:29 am (#)

I’m going to have to stop reading your blog before breakfast. You’re a dangerous one, I swear! And since a full case of Girl Scout Samoa cookies is never enough, I definitely have to make these magic bars, mmm.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 28th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Thanks Risa! There are NEVER enough Samoas!!

38. Jenna posted on March 10, 2014 at 7:17 am (#)

These are so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I actually made them twice this weekend. The first time, I couldn’t find caramel nibs, so I just grabbed a jar of caramel ice cream topping. Worked all right, tasted well, but they are super messy. The second time, I just happened to find the carmal nibs in the candy aisle of the grocery store. These are much prettier as they hold up better. Absolutely delicious!

39. Kelsey posted on March 30, 2014 at 11:55 am (#)

So I thought “regular” in the ingredients meant u could use regular milk not sweetened condensed. It really was not clear, so now the bars are a complete failure.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2014 at 6:57 am

I meant regular sweetened condensed milk – it’s more mainstream. I use fat-free scm for most of my recipes because of habit, but some people have trouble finding it. I’m sorry you were confused!

• Kelsey replied on April 1st, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I did make the recipe again after the disaster, and it is absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!

40. Pingback: Somoa Cookie Bars | Everything But the Cupcake

41. Pingback: Remember the à la Mode | Rungry

42. aimeemac posted on June 13, 2014 at 7:57 pm (#)

ABOUT TO START MAKING THESE IN A FEW MINUTES…AFTER THE CRUST IS DONE DO YOU JUST PUT ONE LAYER OF CHOC CHIPS, THEN COCONUT, THEN CARAMEL BITES? OR AFTER THE FIRST LAYER DO YOU PUT MORE CHOC CHIPS, COCONUT AND CARAMEL BITES? OR IS ONE LAYER ENOUGH?

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 14th, 2014 at 6:51 am

One layer is all I used. Just sprinkle each topping in one layer over the top of the hot crust, then pour the SCM over the top.