Jan 22

Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies

The perfect snack to feed lots of people at a party: Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies! They’re so addicting you might cry.

The most addicting snack ever: Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies by crazyforcrust.com

Two peanut butter recipes in one week. You’re not shocked right? I mean, I’m kind of addicted to the stuff. And since January 24 is National Peanut Butter Day, I needed a snack to celebrate with.

I could also celebrate with these. Or these. Or this. Or those. But this weekend, I’m celebrating with Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies. It’s Peanut Butter Squared!

You know what else these would be good for? Super Bowl viewing. I’m not a huge football fan, but my husband is. Even though our team was robbed of it’s chance to go (don’t all the losers say that?) we’ll probably still watch. And inhale these.

Muddy Buddies? Are my kryptonite. Seriously – mindless eating to a whole new extreme with these bad boys. You want to make them for a crowd. Or to give away. Or because you’re in need of a snack and you might want to share some.

The recipe for the muddy buddies is pretty much the one from the back of the Chex cereal box: peanut butter, chocolate, chips, and butter, melted together and poured over something, then shaken in powdered sugar. This is a super easy, albeit messy, recipe.

Have I ever told you how much I hate powdered sugar? It ranks up there with my hatred of cocoa powder and red dye. But it’s worth having it in every nook and cranny for these muddy buddies!

Do what I do: make it the day before the maid comes. Problem solved.  <– Wow, that sounded very elitist and #firstworldproblem, didn’t it? Well…it’s true though. I do have a cleaner, once a month. Because I “forget” to clean. {Or, that’s what I tell my husband. Yeah…I forgot.}

Anyway, I used peanut butter pretzel nuggets for these muddy buddies. You know, you can get them pretty much everywhere. TJ’s makes my favorite ones, but every grocery store carries them. Just make sure you don’t get the cheese filled ones because, um, ew. Or maybe that would be good? Salty and sweet? Try it and let me know.

One note about this recipe: it’s gooey. Instead of pouring all of the nuggets into the bag of powdered sugar, I divided it into two shakings (and two bags). It coated them better that way than when I did them all at once.

Then, if you want them as white as they are pictured, use my not-so-secret method of the double powdered sugar dip once they’ve cooled. You don’t have to, but that’s what I do to make them look this white and pretty.

Oh, and mix them with M&Ms: plain, peanut, pretzel, peanut butter, what ever your favorite is. It makes the mix pretty. And, well, when did anyone say no to an M&M?

These should come with a warning: BEWARE! HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. I’m not responsible for your need for new stretchy pants, mmkay? ;)

Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies

Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies

• 18 ounces peanut butter stuffed pretzel nuggets (you can use a little more if your package is bigger, but not more than 24 ounces)
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • About 10 ounces M&Ms (Plain, Peanut, Pretzel, or PB would all work), if desired

1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat. Place 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a large gallon sized ziploc bag.
  2. Place milk chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a large bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then heat in additional 30 second increments, stirring after each, until mixture is melted and smooth. Place pretzel nuggets into the peanut butter chocolate mixture and stir to coat.
  3. Place half the pretzel mixture into the powdered sugar bag and seal. Shake to coat the nuggets. Turn them out onto prepared cookie sheet. If bag is too chocolatey to add more powdered sugar into it, get a new bag, place 3/4 cup powdered sugar in it and shake remaining nuggets. Turn out onto cookie sheet and separate any chunks. Let cool and harden.
  4. Before serving, I like to toss them with another 1 cup of powdered sugar, for that thick white look. I do this in two batches, similar to the first shaking, with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and half the nuggets per batch. Mix with M&Ms, if desired. Store in an airtight container.

Notes

Adapted from the back of the Chex box.

Cinnamon Roll Muddy Buddies

Cinnamon-Roll-Muddy-Buddies04w

Red Hots Muddy Buddies

Red-Hots-Muddy-Buddies 2 words

Cookie Butter Pretzels

biscoff pretzels 2 words

Pink Lemonade Muddy Buddies by Something Swanky
Snickers Muddy Buddies from A Pumpkin and a Princess
Orange Creamsicle Muddy Buddies by The Girl Who Ate Everything

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

48 Responses to “Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies”

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on January 22, 2014 at 5:08 am (#)

Using peanut butter pretzel nuggets?! Girl, that is genius!
    I am also totally addicted to muddy buddies, I mean how can you not be? One thing I know about this recipe: All mine. Not sharing these puppies! Or, buddies I guess.
    P.s I love the little pop of color in these pics from the straws and M&M’s…plus they totally match. I like it lots.

2. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:23 am (#)

This has my name written all over it! I love pretzels and peanut butter. And you are so clever to use pretzel nuggets stuffed with peanut butter instead of Chex cereal. I didnt know that there was a way to make muddy buddies even better, but I think you just did!

3. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:37 am (#)

YAYYY! I love peanut buttterrrr-this looks so yummalicious!!

4. Jenny Flake posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:44 am (#)

How fun is this recipe?! I’m afraid I’d eat the whole bowl without sharing :)

5. Anna @ Garnish with Lemon posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:49 am (#)

Your aversion to powdered sugar is like my distaste for glitter. My poor kids could only do glitter craft projects at school or at friends’ houses! But I would definitely make an exception if the end result was a bowl of these beauties!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:56 pm

OH GLITTER! I hate it. The tooth fairy leaves it and I get so angry every time she does. :)

6. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on January 22, 2014 at 8:54 am (#)

You can never have too many peanut butter recipes! Especially when they involve muddy buddies!

7. Jennifer | Bake or Break posted on January 22, 2014 at 9:04 am (#)

I love the salty addition to these! I’m with you on confectioners’ sugar. I’m incapable of using it without making a huge mess.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Glad it’s not just me!

8. Betsy | JavaCupcake.com posted on January 22, 2014 at 9:23 am (#)

I think I’m going to make these this weekend to munch on! YUM!

9. Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen posted on January 22, 2014 at 9:28 am (#)

What a great idea for a quick sweet-salty snack fix! Love this one!

10. Gloria // Simply Gloria posted on January 22, 2014 at 9:32 am (#)

Dorothy, I love this kryptonite kind of snack! I’m ready for the addiction!

11. Tracy | Pale Yellow posted on January 22, 2014 at 10:05 am (#)

This sounds absurdly delicious! As soon as I get my hands on some peanut butter filled pretzels I’m all over this!

12. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on January 22, 2014 at 10:41 am (#)

Peanut butter pretzel nuggets! Oh my heaven. I have never even seen them. This would be a quick crowd pleaser in my house!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Oh yes, they’re the best snack ever! PB + pretzels = amazing!

13. Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled posted on January 22, 2014 at 3:41 pm (#)

You are genius! My husband would love this as his favorite snack is peanut butter pretzel nuggets and muddy buddies but this would BLOW HIM AWAY with both of his favorite snacks in one! I might have to make this for his for V-Day! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Throw in some red and pink M&Ms and you have the best Valentine treat!

14. Graham @ Glazed & Confused posted on January 22, 2014 at 4:34 pm (#)

Need these. ASAP.

15. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on January 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm (#)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen peanut butter stuffed pretzels. I feel left out….

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Really? Look near the pretzels, I bet you’ll find them!

16. Emily @ Life on Food posted on January 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm (#)

Normal muddy buddies makes me weak in the knees. Oh my to use peanut butter pretzels. Yep, I am sold!

17. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 22, 2014 at 6:47 pm (#)

Um, hope Mel doesn’t mind company during Super Bowl, because if these muddy buddies will be there, SO WILL I. I am in LOVE with them! SO stinkin’ genius to use peanut butter pretzel nuggets instead of Chex. I mean, BRILLIANT. Dying!!

18. Mary Frances posted on January 22, 2014 at 7:25 pm (#)

How did you know I was craving peanut butter like none other right now? Seriously, those pb nuggets covered in chocolate and powdered sugar is all I can think about right now. Can I just eat this all day long? Oh.my.gosh, this is amazing.

19. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on January 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm (#)

Using peanut butter filled pretzels for muddy buddies is our GENIUS! I can’t buy them because I know I will set them all. We recently hired a housekeep once a month too, and I love it. It is the only time I get my boyfriend to clean up his piles of clutter around the house. It last for a few days, but I too schedule my back-a-thin before they come! hahah.

20. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on January 22, 2014 at 8:46 pm (#)

If I could afford a maid, I’d totally have one, even if they only came in once a month. Life is so busy. Sometimes I spend my entire weekend cleaning and it’s still not done. It’d be nice to be able to spend time with my family instead of scrubbing toilets, y’know? A huge bowl of these muddy buddies would make me feel better. Pinning!

21. Amy posted on January 22, 2014 at 10:27 pm (#)

I love the idea of using PB-stuffed pretzels! Another one of your brilliant twists. Right now, I can’t get enough of peanut butter (or dark chocolate… but that one’s expected from me). I’ve been eating it straight from the jar with a spoon multiple times a day. So much for a healthier January?…

22. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on January 23, 2014 at 8:00 am (#)

OMG I have never heard of pb stuffed pretzel nuggets, but I must get my hands on some immediately! That picture of them looks awesome! Lovin’ these muddy buddies, Dorothy!

23. Wendy | Around My Family Table posted on January 23, 2014 at 9:25 am (#)

As if peanut butter pretzel nuggets weren’t addictive enough! Good thing they sell them in the bulk section.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I know, right? Can you imagine a costco sized bag of muddy buddies??

24. Ashley posted on January 23, 2014 at 11:51 am (#)

I haven’t made muddy buddies in like a year because I have absolutely ZERO self control around it! haha Goes back to my college days when we didn’t have an oven and the only dessert we made was these bad boys! : ) This version sounds amazing with peanut butter pretzels!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I’m not eating sugar today. And they’re on my counter totally mocking me! :)

25. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Muddy Buddies | Defining Good Taste

26. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on January 26, 2014 at 1:54 pm (#)

I seriously freaked out when I saw this recipe! When I was at Target last week, I saw these pretzel nuggets and thought “I should totally make muddy buddies with these!”. I thought I was crazy brilliant. Then I saw this, lol! Either I’m not as clever as I like to think I am, or we are BOTH ridiculously genius! Haha!
    Obviously, I think these look delicious and I want a large bowl full right now :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2014 at 7:59 am

Isn’t it funny how great minds think alike? I had a brainstorm at the store too. I swear, we blog friends totally sync up! :)

27. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 3, 2014 at 8:49 am (#)

How did I miss National Peanut Butter Day!?

28. Betsy | JavaCupcake.com posted on February 13, 2014 at 7:17 am (#)

So I just made these for the second time. Thanks for making my butt big. Haha

29. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules

30. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

31. Pingback: Jeobox – 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules

32. Pingback: プレッツェルを食べる27の完全な方法 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!