get new recipes in your email box:

Aug 21

Crockpot Applesauce Pop-Tarts

Applesauce Pop-Tarts are perfect for breakfast or a snack, and are even better when made with homemade crockpot applesauce!

Applesauce Pop-Tarts by crazyforcrust.com | A homemade pop-tart filled with a crockpot applesauce! #applesauce #crockpot #breakfast

Last week I asked Jordan what she wanted for breakfast on the first day of school. I knew that, if it wasn’t cereal, I needed to make it ahead of time because really, mama is not a bake-muffins-in-the-morning kind of person.

{In all honesty, I’m an IV of coffee don’t talk to me kind of person. I’m fun. Come sleep over!}

I was expecting to hear muffins! or cinnamon rolls! or pop-tarts! She asked for sprinkle pancakes. Really? I’m a food blogger. Give me some credit. It’s like when she asked for plain chocolate chip cookies.

Anyway, I’ll comply with her. But I’m making these Applesauce Pop-Tarts for me.

The idea for these all started when I was up to my ears in CrunchPak apples. I needed to use up a bag of them before they weren’t good anymore so I decided to make applesauce. I love making homemade applesauce because it makes your house smell amazing, and like Fall.

Have you ever made applesauce in the crockpot? It’s one of my favorite things to do in the slow cooker, and we do it every year.

You simply add you apples to your slow cooker and cover them with water, sugar, and cinnamon. Let them cook all day until they’re soft, and your house smells amazing!

Once the apples are soft enough, you mash them into applesauce. I like my applesauce totally smooth – I’m not a “chunk” person – so I use a hand blender to puree the soft apples. But you can also mash them with a potato masher if you like chunkier applesauce. Once the applesauce is made, you can eat it for dessert, pour it over ice cream, or give it as a gift!

Or…you can make pop-tarts, which is my favorite way to use homemade applesauce!

Of course, if you don’t want to go through the step of making your own applesauce you can use store bought. I won’t tell, I promise.

These pop-tarts are so easy to make. They start with Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts. Once you cut them into rectangles, you fill them with applesauce and bake them up. I drizzled mine with a brown sugar icing, because brown sugar makes everything better.

And sprinkles. You can’t ever forget the sprinkles!

Easy Crockpot Applesauce - just 4 ingredients to the PERFECT applesauce everyone loves. It's great hot or cold, or put it in recipes like Homemade Poptarts!

Pop-Tarts for breakfast and crockpot applesauce for dessert. Or the other way around. Whatever, it just sounds like a good day to me!

Apple Pie Poptarts

Ingredients:

For the crock pot applesauce:

• 14-16 ounces apples, sliced (about 4 medium sized apples)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

For the Pop-Tarts:

• 2 refrigerated pie crusts (1 box)
  • 1/2 cup crock pot applesauce or other applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Sprinkles, if desired

Directions:

Make the applesauce:

1. Place apples in a crock pot. Mix water, cinnamon, and sugar in a measuring cup and pour over apples. Cook on HIGH for 3-5 hours, until the apples are translucent. Mash with a potato masher or place in a blender or food processor to blend with no lumps. (I use a hand blender for this step.)
  2. Applesauce can be stored in a tupperware in the refrigerator for several days, or frozen for future use.

Make the Pop-Tarts:

1. Unroll one pie crust. Use a rolling pin to roll the circle into more of a rectangle shape. Use a knife to cut off the rounded edges, to give you an exact rectangle. Cut the rectangle into six equal rectangles, to form the pop-tart crust. Reserve the edges you cut off. Repeat with second crust, and re-roll the edges to get 2-4 more rectangles.
  2. Lay out your crust rectangles on a flat surface. Place 1 tablespoon of applesauce in the center of half of them.
  3. Whisk egg in a small bowl. Use your finger and trace the edges of each of the rectangles containing applesauce with a bit of egg, to help in sealing the pop-tart. Cover the applesauce rectangles with a plain one and seal the edges together with the tines of a fork.
  4. Place pop-tarts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silpat. Poke each pop-tart with a fork a few times so that air can escape while baking, so they don’t exapnd. Bake for about 13-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool.
  5. Make the frosting by whisking together the brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and milk. Spoon over the pop-tarts and sprinkle with sprinkles.
  6. Pop-tarts can be reheated in the microwave or frozen for later eating. Do not toast frosted pop-tarts. You can omit the frosting if you want to toast them to reheat.

Notes:

All crockpots cook differently. The size of the crockpot matters too. Larger crockpots will cook these faster, smaller will be slower. Mine is usually done after about 3-4 hours in a 5qt crockpot.

You might also like:

Peanut Apple Butter Bites

Peanut Apple Butter Bites 2 words

Peanut Butter Pop-Tart Bars

peanut butter poptart bars (8 of 10)w

Apple Pie Pop-Tart Fudge by The Domestic Rebel
Pumpkin Pie Pop Tart Pops by Pint Sized Baker
English Apple Cinnamon Pasties by Something Swanky

57 comments on “Crockpot Applesauce Pop-Tarts

1. These sound amazing! If I had a mom who made homemade pop-tarts, I think I would have eaten breakfast much more in school! I’d love to make these and take them to school with me!

2. I LOVE apple sauce made in the slow cooker!! It’s the perfect thing for fall. I never would’ve thought to make it into filling for poptarts!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 21st, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Of course I think of how to add sugar to sugar. Why JUST make applesauce? LOL 🙂

3. Just photographed poptarts today! Told you, we really do think alike!

These look amazing and the crockpot applesauce? Heck yes!! I have heard of that before but never tried it. I think this year is the year. It looks perfect and stuffed inside these poptarts! YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

You must try it! And yes, great minds think alike! 🙂

4. Say what?! Crock Pot Applesauce? Now that’s my kind of recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Enjoy! 🙂 Thanks Julie!

5. My Bug would go nuts over these. He wouldn’t turn his nose up at the sprinkle pancakes. Of course that is because I am mean mommy who gives him fruit and yogurt or green smoothies for breakfast, but maybe these will be a fun first day of preschool treat.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

If only Jordan would drink a smoothie for breakfast! That would make me a happy momma.

6. Can’t wait to pick apples this fall! I love the idea of using apple sauce as a Pop Tart filling – genius!

7. Nothing beats homemade applesauce! My kids would love these!

8. Okay okay okay, PLEASE tell me that Jordan at least nibbled on a Pop-Tart while you made her sprinkle pancakes! Because, umm, that would totally happen with me. (I’m too indecisive; I want it all! And Pop-Tarts are amazing.) And I absolutely love your idea of crockpot applesauce! I “borrowed” my mom’s crockpot (it’s a teeny tiny one) a few months ago, but I haven’t made anything yet. Applesauce is definitely going on my to do list!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

She had one for dessert after dinner! 🙂

• Amy replied on August 23rd, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Whew, I was gettin’ worried there!! Glad to hear she’s still her mother’s daughter. 😉

9. These look soo yummy! I would eat them for breakfast everyday!

10. Love applesauce and love poptarts. The two together? Delicious!

11. YES! These remind me of a better-for-you version of the maple brown sugar pop tarts I used to eat. YUM!

12. Queen of pie crust, I bow to thee:) This is an incredible way to use apples and pie crust. Wow, I want to hang with you in the morning – our IVs and all!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Totally. It would make the morning better for sure!

13. You can make me breakfast Dorothy!!! I’d probably request these fabulous poptarts! Your applesauce looks so so good! I’ve never made my own, but now I have an incentive!

14. We are about to head out Memorial Day weekend for apple picking. This is something that is going on my list to make! I am crazy for applesauce but my kids are not. Maybe I can change their minds with this!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Jordan wouldn’t eat applesauce until I first made it a few years ago. Now she eats all applesauce! #weird

15. I’ve never made applesauce in the crockpot, but it sounds awesome! I just asked Gavin what he wants for breakfast on his first day of school, and he has no idea . . . which means I get to invent something!! Pinning these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Thanks Lisa!! Yay for inventing breakfast!

16. These sound so good! And healthier than regular pop tarts with the all natural filling!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Totally! Thanks Melanie!

17. Oh, I need to try crock pot applesauce! And then, of course, make these pop tarts!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Yes, it’s my favorite kind! And so easy!

18. This looks so good! Heck that applesauce looks delicious all by itself!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:36 pm

It totally is! My daughter begs for it.

19. I love applesauce. I love how they smell. And if I had pop tarts like these to start my day with, mornings would be so much nicer.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 22nd, 2013 at 6:35 pm

It definitely helps! 🙂

20. These look amazing! I couldn’t imagine putting store-bought applesauce in them after seeing your picture of crockpot applesauce – I mean wow! It looks SO good! And I’m really feeling apples right now. Fall flavors = yummy! 🙂

21. Cooking apple sauce in the slow cookier is an abosolute brilliant idea.

22. I’m a HUGE Poptart lover! Amazing photography!

I’d love to have you share this or any of your amazing posts at our weekly Super Saturday Link Party. It starts Friday’s at 6pm, hope we see you there!

Tracy

23. I went back to my site and got the link….it’s so funny, I made the same pop tarts but mine were blueberry!! HA!

24. We LOVE crock pot applesauce…my husband just asked me the other day to make some. 🙂 But what a brilliant idea to fill poptarts with it. I’m trying this for sure!

25. Haha, I think we are the same person sometimes!! 😉 We think so much alike! And homemade applesauce=awesomeness. I bet those poptarts are fantastic!!

26. This is such a great idea! Thanks for the 2 recipes in 1 🙂 And Jordan? She doesn’t know what she’s missing! (My kids are the same way….half the time I have to force them to try my creations 🙂

28. Pingback: My Giant Line up of Cozy Fall Foods! Beware it Really is Giant! - Half Baked Harvest

29. Pingback: Tropical Macaroon Bread Puddings | Foods for the Soul

30. Pingback: Apple Pie Pop-Tarts | Sweet Tooth Sun Devils

31. Thank you for sharing such a brilliantly simple and tasty idea. I pinned this recipe a few months ago but a big pot of homemade applesauce never lasts long enough around here for me to try it. I stashed a dish-full in the bottom of the fridge this time so I could finally make them. Yummy!! a big hit for everyone and I was even asked when I would make them again.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Yay! Thanks for telling me Michelle. I’m so glad!

• Michelle replied on February 26th, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’d like to make a post of my own about making these lovely morsels and credit you and this post for the recipe and my inspiration. Is that ok with you?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 26th, 2014 at 10:19 am

That’s great Michelle! As long as, if you share the recipe, you write the instructions in your own words (or make changes to it, even better) and link back. And if you share one of my photos, please don’t share the recipe. Thank you!

32. Pingback: Crockpot Apple Dump Cake - Crazy for Crust

33. These look great! Can you make the pop tarts without the corn syrup? Also, you say not to reheat in the toaster, but would a toaster oven be ok?? Thanks!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 30th, 2015 at 3:48 pm

The corn syrup is just for the glaze, so I think so, yes. But it might not harden as much. You may want to just make a simple powdered sugar glaze (powdered sugar, some vanilla extract, and heavy whipping cream or milk – just enough to get the desired consistency) instead!