Jul 14

Peanut Butter Pop-Tart Bars

The perfect no bake summer treat! These Peanut Butter Pop-Tart Bars are sandwiched with Peanut Butter Poptarts and filled with a soft chocolate toffee filling and are totally addicting!

Peanut Butter Pop-tart Bars by crazyforcrust.com | Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts filled with a soft chocolate toffee mixture!

Hello peanut butter and chocolate? Yes, I am so addicted to you.

Also? I am now addicted to these:

peanut butter poptart bars (1 of 10)

Before we went to Disneyland I did a little snack shopping and came across these Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts. Oh. My. Heck. People! Have you tried them yet?

Don’t.

Wait, yes, you need to get them. One, because this recipe is the bomb but two, these are the bomb-diggity. Pop-Tarts are for breakfast. These taste like a peanut butter cookie. So you can eat peanut butter cookies for breakfast.

Un.Believe.Able.

And because Facebook and the general everyone loves peanut butter and chocolate so much together, I posted cinnamon rolls last week, this today, and I’ve got another peanut butter recipe for you next week.

You can thank me later.

Last weekend I went to a mom’s night at a friend’s house. I said I’d bring dessert…obvi. And I wanted something easy and no bake, because, really. It’s been a bajillion degrees here and I paid $387 for A/C in June. My oven is off limits on 95+ days.

I was totally indecisive and surfing all over the internet when I found these. And immediately the clouds parted and angels sang and the box of Pop Tarts in my pantry jumped into my lap.

And I made these Peanut Butter Pop-Tart Bars.

Best. Bars. EVERRRR.

They start with Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts, but really, you could use any flavor.

You really need 12, but I used 10. I had already eaten 2. Oink. Oink.

Sugar, butter, milk, and an egg gets cooked together until it boils. Then you mix in graham cracker crumbs and chocolate and get this gooey deliciousness. Once it cools you spread it over the Pop-Tarts and sandwich them with more Pop-Tarts. Cool and cut.

Pure Fabulousness.

I took the tray to the party. I ate one and I left them there. I got a text the next day that my friend could not stop eating them. No one could – it’s PB&C. How could you not eat 12?

Seriously. Go buy Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts. Make these bars.

You’re welcome!

Peanut Butter Poptart Bars

Peanut Butter Poptart Bars

Peanut Butter Poptarts are filled with a soft chocolate toffee mixture for a delicious no bake treat! {Recipe adapted from Cookies & Cups.}

• 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup nonfat milk
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used a box, grind if you have regular grahams)
  • 2 cups (1 package) chocolate chips, divided (I used milk chocolate)
  • 12 Peanut Butter Poptarts

1. Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add sugar, milk, and egg. Stir constantly so the egg doesn’t scramble, for about 20 seconds (or until mixture is combined). Bring to a full boil, stirring occasionally, just a few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in graham cracker crumbs and 1 cup of the chocolate chips. Let cool for 30 minutes.
  2. While the mixture is cooling, line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with foil. Lay out 6 of your poptarts flat on the bottom of the cookie sheet, two rows of three poptarts. (I used 5 for each layer, not 6, because I ate one pack before starting. If you use 5 for each layer, as in the photo, do two rows of 2 1/2 poptarts each).
  3. Once mixture is cooled, pour it over the layer of poptarts. Spread with an offset spatula to reach the ends of the rectangle. It will spill over, but that’s okay. Try to keep the spilling over to a minimum, but it’s okay if some spills over. I kept one finger pressing on the edge of the poptart layer as I spread the mixture, so they didn't move.
  4. Top the chocolate mixture with the remaining poptarts, mirroring the bottom layer. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill until hardened, about 4 hours.
  5. When ready to cut, remove from refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap and slice into bars, (about 12 columns and two rows).
  6. Melt remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. Add to a sandwich bag and snip off the tip. Add swirls of chocolate to the top of the bars, for decoration.

Notes

I used a box of graham cracker crumbs for this, because I was lazy. You can also grind some in your food processor instead.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Truffles

peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough truffles (1 of 5)w

Oreo Peanut Butter Popcorn

Oreo-Peanut-Butter-Popcorn (1 of 4)w

Peanut Butter and Jelly Poptart Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Domestic Rebel
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies by Mom on Timeout
Easy Reese’s Popcorn Munch by Something Swanky

106 Responses to “Peanut Butter Pop-Tart Bars”

1. Tieghan posted on July 14, 2013 at 6:21 am (#)

Dorothy, these are mouth watering. I mean, are you kidding me right know? Such amazing flavors and peanut butter pop tarts!! Must go out and find those now!! In awe over these!! Way to go, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:25 am

Thanks Tieghan! They were amazingly addicting!

2. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on July 14, 2013 at 7:46 am (#)

OMG…amazing! I’m totally drooling for these right now! ;-)

3. Laura R. posted on July 14, 2013 at 8:21 am (#)

I’m going to have to name a section of the binder I keep my favorite recipes in just for you. ….appetizers, main dishes, Crazy for Crust, other desserts. Seriously, every single recipe I try of yours is a winner…even if I can’t roll a Peanut Butter Cinnamon Roll to save my life, they still tasted great! These look so incredibly good and I can’t wait to try them!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

That’s so sweet! And lol!

4. Ellen@BakeItWithBooze posted on July 14, 2013 at 9:02 am (#)

OMG…I just had two of these PB PopTarts for breakfast! It’s a “gym day” after all. :) I had the kind with the chocolate glaze. Let’s just say, “hello, lover…” I don’t know why PT’s hadn’t “Gone Nutty” sooner. And, the gold packaging is almost Willy Wonka-esq. You gotta know something special waits!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Well, they’re healthy right? Peanut butter is protein! ;)

5. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on July 14, 2013 at 9:19 am (#)

There’s a peanut butter Pop Tart!?! Oh My! These bars look sooOOooo over the top good! I love that you made them no bake too because my oven isn’t going to be seeing action any time soon thanks to the heat. I think I need to go shopping!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Yes! You must find them. They are amazing!

6. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on July 14, 2013 at 11:15 am (#)

I love that these are no bake, AND I just love them because they are peanut butter and chocolatey!! Soooo YUM!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

No-bake is the best this time of year. Thanks Kristi!

7. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl posted on July 14, 2013 at 11:38 am (#)

Such a great idea and gets in my peanut butter fill… I love these bars!

8. Back for Seconds posted on July 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm (#)

Wow. Pb&C is the best and these bars look awesome! That filling has me drooling.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Me too! I want more of these. I want to make that filling over and over and over…

9. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on July 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm (#)

Seriously so glad for foods that pop into your lap! Then we get this! Oh yeah!

10. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on July 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm (#)

I saw these on instagram while I was at church and couldn’t wait to come back home for the post! Peanut butter and chocolate in a no- bake bar is almost guaranteed to be a winner!

11. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on July 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm (#)

Oh my girl, girl! You done lost your mind! These look ridiculously amazing! I can’t stop using exclamation marks! I really hate the Pop Tarts makers for using palm oil because I so want to try these. I’m definitely pinning this recipe in hopes that I can find good ingredients.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I know there are so many brands of pop-tart like items, there might even be an organic version! Let me know if you find one!

13. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on July 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm (#)

I bought both kinds of pb poptarts but haven’t yet decided what to make out of them. Love this!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thanks Erin! The fact you haven’t eat them yet is a testament to your willpower!

14. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on July 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

These are super unique! I love how inventive they are.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thanks Jocelyn! I wanted to do something different with the pop tarts, and I think i did! :)

15. Nessa posted on July 14, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

Great idea!

16. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm (#)

Best use ever of a pre-made item that turns into something else. I’ve seen good stuff with a can of crescent rolls but you have taken the cake with using poptarts as your ‘crusts’. Geninus, Dorothy!

And that filling! Omg.

And the fact that this whole thing is one big sea of PB + chocolate. Music to my ears! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Averie!! That’s, like the hugest compliment ever coming from you! :)

17. keri @ shaken together posted on July 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm (#)

As if I didn’t already LOVE Poptarts … a no bake peanut butter chocolate made with them?! Divine!

18. Pamela's Heavenly Treats posted on July 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm (#)

Oh my Dorothy, these look delicious! I have to try and make these! I so miss coming over here each day! I will be back on social media next month!

19. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on July 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm (#)

No freaking way. I can’t believe 1) they make PEANUT BUTTER POPTARTS!!! (where has this been my whole life?) and 2) you put them in these way awesome bars (where have THEY been all my life?!?!?! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 14th, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Mary Frances! I know, it’s amazing!

20. Erin @ Sisters' Sweet and Tasty Temptaions posted on July 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm (#)

Genius! Plain and simply the best idea ever!

21. Julianne@ Beyond Frosting posted on July 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm (#)

Oh my gosh- PB pop tarts? Get out! My favorite is brown sugar, which I refuse to buy in fear that I will eat the whole box. These look so fun! I love easy no bake treats.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:20 am

ME TOO! I cannot buy them. Now, I cannot buy these.

22. Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen posted on July 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm (#)

My oven to off limit too. It’s too damn hot! The filling looks spectacular, I haven’t had a pop tart in years but I think that should change after seeing these bars!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:20 am

LOL, you should. They are addicting!

23. Tahnycooks posted on July 15, 2013 at 4:56 am (#)

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first saw this. Without reading the title all I saw was a stuffed piecrust with peanut butter! Brilliant! This is a fabulous recipe! There is nothing better than peanut butter!!!!

24. tanya posted on July 15, 2013 at 6:16 am (#)

I am so excited about this recipe Dorothy! I am smitten with those peanut butter poptarts. The filling looks delicious!

25. Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe posted on July 15, 2013 at 6:27 am (#)

Oh my! These look amazing! Such a clever idea to make over the pop tart!

26. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 15, 2013 at 7:22 am (#)

Hmmm, haven’t seen those in the store! LOVE that you made a dessert using poptarts!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

You must get them. You’ll die from loving them. :)

27. The Better Baker posted on July 15, 2013 at 8:32 am (#)

A.MA.ZING! I’m not a big fan of pop tarts, but you can be sure I’m adding them to this week’s grocery list. Will be trying these for my visiting grandkids next week. What a super cool idea! They look mouth-watering!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

The grandkids will LOVE them!

28. Kathy posted on July 15, 2013 at 8:57 am (#)

What a great idea! My kids would love these!

29. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on July 15, 2013 at 12:26 pm (#)

That filling looks like total heaven! I’ve seen these PB pop tarts at the store and I wondered if they were any good.You’ve convinced them that I HAVE to get them now! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

SO. Good. You must buy them!

30. Wendy posted on July 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm (#)

What a fantastic idea, Dorothy!! Using poptarts as a pastry crust is genius! Though, this flavor combo will forever be the best, I see a future pinterest universe flooded with variations on this! No-bake, adorable, and delicious….what could be better?!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I know, the options are endless!

31. carrian posted on July 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm (#)

Sooo, can I make a brown sugar poptart recipe request?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

YES. Those are next on my list, lol. #absolutefavorite

32. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on July 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm (#)

YUM! These are unbelievable. I didn’t even know there were Peanut Butter Pop Tarts!!

33. Miss Messy posted on July 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm (#)

Well who could say no to these!? They sound fantastic! :D

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Thank you! I should have said no about 5 times…

34. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on July 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm (#)

So we are doing a 5 day juicing detox.. Its probably best not to swing by you blog!! Killing us over here..

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Ugh, 5 days? Insane! Good luck!!

35. Jay Scott posted on July 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm (#)

I must respectfully disagree wholeheartedly. We just brought a box of these pop tarts, as well as the cookies and cream ones, back from the US on our vacation south. I thought we were really missing out by not having these flavours in Canada, me being a real peanut butter fan. Was I wrong!

The cookies and cream Pop Tarts were passable, but the peanut butter ones tasted like fourth rate peanut butter between cardboard.

I’m glad your commenters seem to like the final results. At least we are enjoying the Diet Cherry Pepsi we brought back. I see Cherry Coke in your IG account, so we agree on that. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

That’s a bummer you didn’t like them! I think they taste just like a cookie. I ate almost a whole box myself!

36. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on July 15, 2013 at 3:59 pm (#)

I can not remember the last time I saw such a tasty treat!! Totally Drool Worthy!

37. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm (#)

Shut. The. Front. Door!!!! These look ridiculous! For real, you make a lot of amazing stuff that has me drooling, but I would probably sell one of my kids for a box of these. Just sayin.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 15th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I totally would. Totally…

38. Billy posted on July 16, 2013 at 8:10 am (#)

WOW. This is crazy.

Now you have me thinking. Let’s say you chill down these bars, dip them in cake batter, and then deep fry them. I’m just daydreaming a bit. :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2013 at 6:53 am

Oh yeah, my kind of thought process! :)

39. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on July 16, 2013 at 9:42 am (#)

WOW! When I was a kid, I used to love the frosted brownie pop tarts. I had no idea they made peanut butter pop tarts! They really do think of everything. I love your take on the recipe because peanut butter & chocolate is pretty much the best flavor combo ever!

BTW — Are you coming to Chicago soon?? I thought you said there was a chance of you coming with the fam in August…??? Or was I just dreaming??!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2013 at 6:52 am

Brownie pop tarts? OMG. And no, we couldn’t make it happen. :( I’m hoping next year, if my husband still has clients there!

40. Maria posted on July 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm (#)

Oh my goodness these sound FANTASTIC!!!! What a great idea, the bars look so good with that filling!!! YUM!!!

41. Tanya posted on July 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm (#)

Oh these look FANTASTIC!! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe and gorgeous photos with us at the Inspiration Monday party Dorothy :)

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

42. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on July 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm (#)

GOOD HEAVENS. That’s all I have to say!

43. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on July 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm (#)

Holy sweet mother of Pete!! I could probably finish that whole pan by myself!! You are a genius! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2013 at 6:43 am

LOL, you made me spit out my coffee. :) Thanks!

44. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 17, 2013 at 6:09 am (#)

Oh my god, pop-tarts on steroids. I must have these!

45. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm (#)

Whaaa? PB Poptarts!?

and these bars? STOP IT. SO GOOD

46. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on July 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

Well I am pretty sure the PB poptarts are not in Canada but next time I am in the US I will look for them. What a cool idea!!

47. Lyuba@willcookforsmiles posted on July 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm (#)

That is one awesome way to make something great even better!! This sounds like something I need to try immediately!

48. Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes posted on July 18, 2013 at 11:38 am (#)

Dorothy- How fun are these! Love this great idea and all those layers! YUM! :)

49. Amy posted on July 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm (#)

Dorothy, you’re hilarious! I still remember when you first posted a picture on Instagram of these Poptarts. And how I drooled. And then avoided the breakfast cereal aisle because I knew I’d have no self-control when I saw these. And now… You added chocolate and made them completely over-the-top. I don’t know whether to love you or be super annoyed! (There goes my summer bikini figure… ;) )

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 19th, 2013 at 9:21 am

LOL, I’m kinda both with myself some days. :)

50. Erin @ Making Memories posted on July 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

How cool are these??!! You always find the coolest things. I haven’t seen PB Pop Tarts but I’m on a hunt. They look yummy and with chocolate? Duh. I’ll have 12!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 19th, 2013 at 9:18 am

LOL! I got mine at Walmart. Very, very dangerous!

51. Melissa@No. 2 Pencil posted on July 20, 2013 at 6:57 am (#)

Oh Dorothy! These look so amazing!!! Oh my goodness!

52. Kristen Duke posted on July 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm (#)

These sound so yummy and I love that they are no bake!

53. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on July 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm (#)

Ah, man I totally bought the wrong ones. I tried the PB Chocolate ones and thought they were gross. Gotta go back for these!! Love the creative recipe you made with them.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:38 pm

These are peanut butter goodness. They tasted like a cookie!

54. Pingback: 50 Back to School Ideas from Breakfast to Snack - Crazy for Crust