Jul 05

Chocolate Malted Pudding

This Chocolate Malted Pudding comes together super fast using Ovaltine, Cool Whip, and Jell-O instant pudding. It’s a retro dessert your family will love!

Chocolate Malted Pudding by crazyforcrust.com | A chocolate malt - in a pudding cup!

This is one of those posts I’ve been meaning to share with you since February. Yes, I said February. I made this, along with my Banana Split Cupcakes, Crumb Apple Pie, and Rocky Road Pudding Cookies, for my mom’s 60th birthday party five months ago…and I never shared it.

Shame on me!

I also never shared details from her retro 50s diner themed party. Double shame! That’s still on my list of to-dos!

This pudding was a huge hit at the party. I was a little shocked, really. I mean it was the easiest dessert to put together, and it was just…pudding. But OMG everyone loved it. I kept getting asked for the recipe. So now, here I am, a mere 5 months later, sharing it.

Shame. Just shame on me!

When I was a kid, I loved Ovaltine. I used to drink it all the time. I remember the one time I got grounded (yes, I only got grounded once) it wasn’t from watching TV or playing with my friends. Nope – my mom took my Ovaltine away for a whole week. I was crushed.

Obviously, the punishment worked, since I was never grounded again. That, or I was just a spoiled only child whose parents didn’t have the heart to discipline me. Whatever you prefer. ;)

When I was brainstorming desserts for my mom’s party, I wanted retro, old-school flavors. I immediately thought of chocolate malts. I mean, from what I’ve seen in movies, a chocolate malt was the bees knees in old diners back in the day. So I turned the chocolate malt idea into a pudding.

This recipe is so easy – it comes together quick using Jell-O instant pudding mix and Cool Whip infused with Ovaltine. You layer the pudding/Ovaltine mixture on the bottom and the Cool Whip/Ovaltine mixture on the top. Easy peasy!

Since this was for a party, I made little serving sizes. I found these party sized serving cups and mini spoons at Party City. You can find the straws everywhere now, online and in craft stores. Heck, even my grocery store has them!

If you’re just serving this to your family, you can use regular pudding dishes, or even a trifle dish or large bowl. Adapt it to suit your needs!

Also, I made my pudding *almost* sugar-free (Ovaltine is not). You can use sugar-free or regular ingredients, whichever you prefer!

This is the perfect retro dessert. Or a current dessert, since malt flavor is all the rage right now. Whatever – your family will love it just like mine did!

Chocolate Malted Pudding

Chocolate Malted Pudding

A retro dessert your family will love! {Adapted from A Spicy Perspective.}

For the pudding:
  • 2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding (regular is 3.4 oz or sugar-free is 1 ounce)
  • 4 cups nonfat milk
  • 1 cup Ovaltine powder
  • For the topping:
  • 8 ounces whipped topping (regular or sugar-free), thawed
  • 1/2 cup Ovaltine powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • About 24 Whopper candies

1. Whisk pudding and milk in a large bowl. Once the pudding powder begins to dissolve, whisk in the Ovaltine until no lumps remain. Chill until set, about 5-10 minutes. Divide amongst serving dishes. I used 24 mini cups from the party store, but you can use whatever size you’d like!
  2. Stir Ovaltine and vanilla into whipped topping until no lumps remain. Spoon evenly over pudding in serving dishes. Top with a Whopper candy. Chill until ready to serve.

Other retro treats you might like:

Banana Split Cupcakes

banana-split-cupcakes-1-words

Rocky Road Nutella Pudding Cookies

Rocky_Road_Cookies(3 of 7)words

Simple Chocolate Mousse by Something Swanky
Chewy Malt Ball Cookies by Shugary Sweets
Heath Bar Brownie Trifle by Mom on Timeout

61 Responses to “Chocolate Malted Pudding”

1. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on July 5, 2013 at 3:13 am (#)

love malted ANYTHING! It needs to make a comeback:)

2. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on July 5, 2013 at 3:29 am (#)

This is such a cute dessert! So easy and no bake!

3. Tieghan posted on July 5, 2013 at 5:59 am (#)

LOL! I can’t believe you go you chocolate mik taken away. That is too funny and cruel!

I love pudding of any kind and this sounds awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 5th, 2013 at 7:56 am

I know right? I had such a mean mom. ;)

4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 5, 2013 at 6:37 am (#)

OMG how cute are these?? I love the retro feel and how simple they are to whip up!

5. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on July 5, 2013 at 8:41 am (#)

A 50’s diner theme sounds SO fun! Your presentation is beautiful too :) I hope you will share more party pictures!

This pudding sounds so delish – and works perfectly with the theme! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 5th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I need to! Thanks Jennifer!

6. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on July 5, 2013 at 8:45 am (#)

My kids love ovaltine! Those pudding cups look delicious, what a fun dessert to serve to a crowd! I have a couple recipes from last fall that I still haven’t shared. At this point I might as well remake them and retake photos, LOL.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 5th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I know. I have some of those too. I’m saving them for August. I’ll be the first one with a pumpkin recipe, lol. ;)

8. Kathy posted on July 5, 2013 at 11:26 am (#)

Yummy! My husband would love these! He loves “malted” anything!

9. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on July 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm (#)

I love malt flavored anything and everything.

10. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on July 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm (#)

Huge fan of malt!!! The pudding looks divine!! Presentation is also super cute!

11. Amy posted on July 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm (#)

I’ver never had Ovaltine before! We only drank milk, OJ, or Caprisuns — rarely anything sweet. But boy do I love pudding, and this summer heat is the perfect time to make it! Looks delicious Dorothy! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 5th, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Amy! I still prefer it to any other chocolate milk. :)

• Amy replied on July 5th, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I bet Jordan does too! ;)

12. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on July 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm (#)

I love pudding! It seems like there’s never enough of it. I always get excited when I find myself in a college cafeteria with chocolate pudding in the fridge, I always have to stop myself from taking two. I’d love to try this.

13. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 5, 2013 at 1:58 pm (#)

I didn’t know you were and Jorden are both only children! Ummm . . . I get why this was such a hit! It is absolutely adorable and looks super yummy! I want to take 10 of those little cups somewhere and hide :)

14. Nessa posted on July 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm (#)

That party sounds awesome! So does this pudding ;)

15. The Sketched Chef posted on July 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm (#)

That looks absolutely stunning and I bet it tastes great !

16. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on July 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm (#)

I love anything with malt and these look and sound so good! Right up my alley too — quick and easy!

17. Mom posted on July 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm (#)

These were great along with all all of the other desserts that day. Great party!
    Thanks again, Mean Mom…lol

18. Lisa @hooplapalooza posted on July 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm (#)

oh how i adored Ovaltine! and so did my mom so these are a perfect treat :)

19. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen posted on July 6, 2013 at 5:14 am (#)

We love Ovaltine! And how adorable are these?!!

20. Tanya Schroeder posted on July 6, 2013 at 7:00 am (#)

Can’t believe you were able to keep this from us for so long! Love malted flavored desserts and since this is so easy, I could see myself making this all the time!

21. Jocelyn@BruCrew Life posted on July 6, 2013 at 10:07 pm (#)

Yay, I love cute retro desserts!! Ovaltine was one of my favorite drinks! I can’t wait to hear all the details about your mom’s party!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 8th, 2013 at 7:01 am

I need to get on that, lol!

22. Ash- foodfashionparty posted on July 7, 2013 at 1:09 am (#)

Such a pretty looking desserts. Yes, it’s always surprising that the simplest of them makes an impression.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 8th, 2013 at 7:01 am

I know, that always shocks me! Thanks Ash!

23. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on July 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm (#)

Dorothy – these are so stickin’ cute! And I LOVE malt!

24. Jenn posted on July 8, 2013 at 10:11 pm (#)

These sound amazing and they look SO cute!

25. Heather @ French Press posted on July 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm (#)

I go to Vegas, and look what I missed…LOVE malted – this looks unbelievable Dorothy

26. Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes posted on July 10, 2013 at 8:06 am (#)

What a fun little dessert! So pretty!

27. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on July 10, 2013 at 8:22 am (#)

So cute and so delicious! My family loves the malted flavor so I’ve go to try making something with it!

28. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on July 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm (#)

I love malt desserts. So easy.

Ha.. I have often had quite delayed posts.

29. Pingback: Best Jello Salad - Something Swanky

30. Kristen Duke posted on July 13, 2013 at 8:16 am (#)

These look so yummy and it’s such a cute way to assemble them! Love it!

31. Stephanie posted on July 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm (#)

This looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

32. Pam posted on July 20, 2013 at 3:42 am (#)

Hi Dorothy
    Thanks for the wonderful recipe, i love Ovaltine as well! Wonder if i can use whipped cream instead of whipped topping? Do i need to whisk it if i use whipped cream?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 20th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Hi Pam! You can totally sub freshly whipped cream, but careful when you fold it in so it doesn’t collapse. It may not last as long as with the Cool Whip (whipped cream tends to break down after awhile in the refrigerator) so I’d make it shortly before serving. Let me know how it works out! Enjoy!

33. Pingback: Fat Man's Delight - Chocolate Chocolate and More!

34. Pingback: Recipes Using Whoppers - Love From The Oven