May 19

Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat

Do you love Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scones? Well, you’re in luck! This is a Copycat Petite Vanilla Scone, even better than the original!

copycat-petite-vanilla-scones (3 of 5)w

Mel and I have had a ritual almost as long as our relationship: we love to walk to Starbucks on Sunday mornings, have coffee, and read the paper. It still is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend, although it’s fewer and far between. Life gets in the way too much!

I’ll never forget one walk back in 2001. We were newlyweds, and it was about a mile to the Starbucks. On our way, there was one of those trailers the cops set up to track your speed, you know, to tell you how fast you’re going.

It was probably no later than 8am on a Sunday morning, so it was totally dead outside. Mel took off running at a sprint to see if it would clock his speed. I think it said 10 mph or something. To this day, every time  I see one of those road things, I think of that morning.

Now our walks to Starbucks involve a kid and a dog. We don’t read the paper anymore, instead we use Ginger (the dog) as entertainment.

Although recently she’s been asking for “adult sized” breakfasts, Jordan has always gotten a petite vanilla scone on our Starbucks Sundays. I love all the petite treats they make, because it makes me feel better to eat one. Plus, when Jordan was 3, it was a perfect size for her. Jordan loves those petite vanilla scones…and so does Ginger.

Dogs are funny – they know exactly who to sit beside at the dinner table: the one who drops the most food. Ginger considers Jordan her mealtime BFF. Jordan drops scone crumbs…and Ginger vacuums them up.

Turns out Ginger also likes reduced fat coffee cake, pumpkin scones, maple oat scones, and cinnamon twists. That’s a long list, so today I started with Petite Vanilla Scones.

copycat-petite-vanilla-scones(2 of 5)

Since making those Funfetti Chip Cake Batter Scones back in February, I’ve been a little scone obsessed. I wanted to make a new version from scratch – without the cake mix. But I’m always so worried that a from-scratch scone will be dry. I’ve had dry scones and they aren’t good! So I did what I always do to keep a baked good soft:

I added pudding mix.

And it totally worked!

These scones are made traditionally, with flour, butter, and cream. I scraped a vanilla bean into the scone mixture for a punch of vanilla flavor. Then I mixed in some vanilla instant pudding mix. (That’s totally optional, if you can’t find it. It’s just a little extra insurance that your scones will stay soft and fluffy.)

The frosting for these scones is to die for. It’s butter, sugar, and vanilla bean paste. I love that stuff so much! You can totally substitute regular vanilla extract for any of the paste/beans in this recipe, but using the bean and/or paste will totally punch up that vanilla flavor.

And like with the chocolate in my cookies, I like to have vanilla flavor that punches me in the face.

Now I can make Jordan (and Ginger) happy even on those Sundays we can’t get to Starbucks. I can make petite vanilla scones at home!

copycat-petite-vanilla-scones (5 of 5)

And so can you!

Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat

Yield: 16 petite scones

Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat

An at home version of one of Starbucks best treats: Petite Vanilla Scones! {Original scone recipe adapted from Woman's Day magazine.}

For the scone
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 1 small box (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix, optional
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • For the frosting
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
  • 2-3 tablespoons cream

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
  2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add cold butter and cut it in using a pastry blender or two butter knives until it forms small crumbs.
  3. Stir in pudding mix. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the vanilla, egg and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir gently with a fork until just incorporated. Bring the dough together with your hands.
  4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Form into two small rounds. Cut each round into 8 triangles and place each on the prepared baking sheet. Brush each triangle with a little of the remaining 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Bake for 8-10 minutes until just golden. Cool before frosting
  5. To make the frosting: Beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until crumbly. Beat in vanilla and 2 tablespoons cream. Add more cream as needed for desired consistency. (I made mine thinner, so I could dip the scones in it.) Frost cooled scones with a knife or dip them upside down in the frosting. Let it harden, then serve.

Notes

The pudding mix is optional, it's just insurance that your scones will stay fluffy and soft.

You can use vanilla extract in place of the vanilla beans and/or vanilla bean paste if you wish.

You might also like:

Biscoff Banana Bread

biscoff banana bread 4 words

Copycat Salted Caramel Mocha

Salted Caramel Chocolate Latte by www.crazyforcrust.com #coffee #latte #caramel

Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino (Dairy-Free) by Something Swanky
Copycat Pumpkin Scones by Shugary Sweets
Cranberry Bliss Bar by Averie Cooks

137 Responses to “Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scone Copycat”

1. Pingback: Fruity Pebbles Muffins - Crazy for Crust

2. Pingback: 50 Back to School Ideas from Breakfast to Snack - Crazy for Crust

3. BinahB posted on August 28, 2013 at 9:17 pm (#)

I just bought 1/4 lb of tahitian vanilla beans from a reliable source called vanillaproducts (username) for $11.99 plus $5 for shipping and handling…and what’s more, you get bonus beans for any product over $10!!! So, they are affordable – on down side is having to wait for them to arrive in the mail.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2013 at 6:39 am

OMG, I must check that out! Thank you! I love vanilla beans, but the price, not so much!

4. Pingback: 25 Favorite Copycat Recipes | Bake Your Day

5. Lisa posted on November 9, 2013 at 9:06 am (#)

Just made these with my grand daughter and they are delicious. Have you ever tried freezing them? I would love to have some on hand for gifts or for the holidays just wasn’t sure if they freeze well.

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 9th, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I haven’t frozen those Lisa, but I have frozen other scones with great success! I would freeze them unfrosted, layered between paper towels in a ziploc bag or tupperware, and frost them upon defrosting! I’m glad you liked them!

6. Pingback: Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scones Copycat | Crazy Jamie

7. char posted on December 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm (#)

i love these scones. i have used white chocolate pudding, butterscotch, and coconut pudding. all delicious. i have people begging me to bake them. the freeze well, and so does the whipping cream. who knew?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 30th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

That is so awesome! I need to try other pudding flavors! :)

8. Pingback: Copycat Starbucks Recipes | Un - ComplicateUn – Complicate

9. Pingback: starbucks petite vanilla scone copycat 星巴克迷你香草司康 ヾ(@^(∞)^@)ノ « Victoria Bakes

10. Jessica posted on January 4, 2014 at 10:30 am (#)

I just made these for New Years brunch and they are delicious!!!! My new favorite thing! Thanks!!!

11. Pingback: Low Sugar Banana Nut Scones | The Gunny Sack

12. SB posted on January 12, 2014 at 2:39 pm (#)

Made these with my granddaughter for brunch during the playoff game. The Starbucks’ scones were her favorite until today. These are delicious. Everyone raved.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 12th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Yay! Thanks so much for telling me! :)

13. Pingback: Glazed eggnog scones — keeping Christmas alive | write meg!

14. joe posted on February 19, 2014 at 12:22 pm (#)

I am really wondering about the pudding – adding or not adding an entire box of pudding mix would seem to make a fairly substantial difference in the wet/dry balance of the recipe…

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I’ve made these scones (with different variations) a few times, with and without the pudding. The pudding mix (dry) doesn’t do much to the actual mixture, just makes sure they stay pillowy soft. :)

15. Pingback: 17 Starbucks Copycat Recipes | Chef Recipes

16. Pingback: Mon Petit Déjeuner (plus, grapefruit two ways) |

17. Kayley McGannon posted on March 23, 2014 at 10:00 am (#)

I’ve been making these with different kinds of pudding. So far I think coconut and chocolate have been my favorite. Thatnks for sharing the recipe

• Kayley McGannon replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I amend that statement, pistachio flavor is the best yet.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 5:10 pm

That’s awesome! What a great idea. I need to try other flavors!

18. Elise posted on April 30, 2014 at 9:36 am (#)

Yum! These look great. I came here to look at a recipe I had bookmarked (Peanut Butter Kitchen Sink Popcorn) for my sister’s birthday, and when I saw these on the side of the page, I thought it might be a sign. You see, I am currently obsessed with another Starbucks scone copycat recipe — these: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/03/maple-oat-nut-scones/ . They are so very good. The recipe was only posted March 18, but we have already had them three times! But I think these vanilla ones might be my next scone attempt. Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 30th, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Enjoy Elise! I need to try the maple oat!

19. Bobbie posted on May 29, 2014 at 10:29 am (#)

Our local Starbucks just stopped carrying the Vanilla Bean Scones. Don’t understand – unless you got to the shop early, they were sold out! Can’t wait to try making them at home. I’ll just take one by Starbucks and get my coffee to go!

20. Daniela posted on June 1, 2014 at 10:43 pm (#)

OMG! When I finished baking them, They were SOOOO good! You should start a bake sale or something to spread the goodness you make!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 2nd, 2014 at 6:52 am

Thank you so much Daniela!!! I’m so glad you liked them!!

21. Pingback: behold the copycat

22. Megan Enos posted on June 24, 2014 at 12:37 pm (#)

OMG, I’ll have to try this. My son & I have had this tradition of going on a date to SB since he was 3 (he’s now 9). I’d get a Frap, he’d get 3 Vanilla Scones. Today he figured that when he eats 3 scones from SB he is eating the cost of 1 LEGO figure. So we went on about how if he eats 400 scones he would be eating the LEGO Star Wars Death Star Set :-)…Thanks for posting!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 25th, 2014 at 6:59 am

I love your comparisons. I’m totally doing that for my daughter (and books) next time we go there (or anywhere she begs for overpriced goodies I can make at home!)

23. Pingback: 17 Perfect Starbucks Copycat Recipes | Recipe Van – Food Truck Recipes

24. crystal posted on August 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm (#)

When u say Cream for the frosting. Do u mean heavy cream?

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 12th, 2014 at 7:30 am

Yes! Heavy Whipping Cream. :)

25. Melissa posted on August 23, 2014 at 8:51 am (#)

Just made these this morning and they are delicious…the only problem I’m having is waiting for them to cool and for the frosting to harden…I’m getting very impatient. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

26. Hayley posted on August 29, 2014 at 11:20 am (#)

Just made these this morning & they were sooooo good! I used 2% milk instead of cream since that’s all I had, but to my delight, they worked out perfectly! I couldn’t wait for them to harden, so I had one right after glazing and another in the afternoon with coffee 😉

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 29th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Hayley!! Great to know about the 2% milk too!

27. Pingback: 50 CopyCat Recipes - Real Housemoms

28. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on January 31, 2015 at 10:21 am (#)

Dorothy, I’ve been wanting to make these since you first posted and I finally made them last week for my niece’s birthday party and they were a huge hit!  It was a princess theme and my sister dubbed them Sleeping Beauty’s Pillows.   :)  Thanks so much for sharing!  As always, every recipe I’ve tried of yours has been a delicious success!!

I blogged about it:

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Yay I’m so glad she liked them. I love that description!!

29. Susy Q posted on March 28, 2015 at 5:27 pm (#)

Hey, in the frosting part what type of cream do you use?
    When I got to that part I was quite stumped so I didn’t use the icing and I must say that even though your recipe for the scone is spectacular I think I would enjoy it even more with the frosting

30. Lindsey posted on April 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm (#)

Can I make the dough the night before and store in the fridge?  I know it’s quick to make, but I’d like to bake them before work one morning to take to my fellow teachers :) so I’d like to just be able to bake them off in the a.m.

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 14th, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I *think* it would be okay but I’ve never tried that with scones. But you can totally bake them the night before, they’ll still be good!