May 12

Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls

If you need an easy and sweet breakfast, this is it! These Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls come together in minutes and will satisfy your sweet roll craving!

easy-chocolate-orange-sweet-rolls (2 of 6)w

Happy Mother’s Day everyone! I hope that you’re getting totally pampered today!

Me? I plan to do nothing on Mother’s Day, which is why I’m writing this post on Saturday. In fact, at dinner tonight it was stressed that Jordan should not disturb me before 6:30am. (That’s a big feat for her if she accomplishes it.)

We try to have a 6:30am rule on weekends. As in, don’t bother us before 6:30, unless it’s an emergency. Problem is, Jordan can’t quite seem to understand that “being awake” is not an emergency.

I told her that an emergency would be if her arm got chopped off during the night and she needed a ride to the hospital. She replied, “But that’s not going to happen.”

“Exactly,” I told her.

She didn’t find me funny. Thank goodness I have all of you for that.

easy-chocolate-orange-sweet-rolls (3 of 6)

When I was growing up, canned cinnamon rolls were a huge thing in my house. We ate them all. the. time. The little icing packet would sit on the stovetop, getting all warm while the rolls baked in the oven. We didn’t even fight over the center roll, because I knew it belonged to my mom.

We never had citrus flavored sweet rolls when I was a kid. I probably wouldn’t have touched one with a ten-foot pole. But now, as an adult, I appreciate the lemon or orange in dessert. Especially with chocolate.

And, because of that, my mom has another reason to say “I told you so” because for years she told me my “tastes would change” and I’d like more things. I always laughed at her.

Turns out, she was right. Hear that mom? I’m admitting you were right. Happy Mother’s Day! ;)

easy-chocolate-orange-sweet-rolls (1 of 6)

A few months ago (how is it May already?) I posted Easy Lemon Sweet Rolls, and y’all loved them. Then, last month, when I discovered that orange and chocolate together is, in fact, a gift from the God’s, I thought hmmmm. Orange + Chocolate Chips + Sweet Rolls.

It’s been done before. My friend Sally has made a homemade version. Mr. Google has countless other recipes. But I wanted to make my own.

And I made mine easy. So easy in fact, these can be in your belly in less than 20 minutes, start to finish.

And they have chocolate. So, yeah. GOOD.

easy-chocolate-orange-sweet-rolls (6 of 6)

These rolls start with Crescent Rolls. If you can find the cans with the crescent sheets, you can buy those. I can never find them, so I started with a standard pack of 8. You unroll the crescent rolls onto a cutting board and press all the seams together.

Spread it with butter, just a light coating.

Mix some cinnamon, sugar, and orange zest and sprinkle it over the top. Top with chocolate chips. Then re-roll the crescents. Slice, and bake.

DONE.

Oh, but wait. The icing. Don’t forget the icing! While they’re baking, mix butter, powdered sugar, and orange juice. Spread on freshly baked sweet rolls.

Eat. Repeat.

easy-chocolate-orange-sweet-rolls (5 of 6)

Sometimes it’s so nice when Mom proves us wrong, am I right?

Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms out there. And especially to mine. I heart you!

Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls

Yield: 8 rolls

Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls

Easy Orange Sweet Rolls to your table in less than 20 minutes! Full of orange and chocolate, these will satisfy your breakfast craving!

• 1 tube Crescent Rolls (8 rolls)
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Butter for spreading
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Carefully unroll the crescent rolls, being sure to keep them in a rectangle. Do not separate them; press together the seams of all 8 rolls to form a large rectangle.
  3. Spread with a small amount of butter (light butter spread is fine too). Mix granulated sugar, cinnamon and orange zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the rectangle of dough, being sure to go right up to the edges. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
  4. Starting at the short end, tightly roll the crescent rolls back into a roll, pressing together seams as needed. Slice into 8 equal sized pieces and place on prepared cookie sheet.
  5. Bake for about 10 minutes, until browned. Prepare glaze while they are baking.
  6. Whisk melted butter, powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl. Drizzle onto hot rolls when the come out of the oven. Rolls are best warm.

Other breakfasts you might like:

Easy Lemon Sweet Rolls

Lemon Sweet Rolls 1 words

Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls

Heirloom Apple Rolls by Oh Sweet Basil
Mocha Chip Cinnamon Rolls by Inside BruCrew Life
Chocolate Chess Bread Pudding by Something Swanky

82 Responses to “Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls”

2. Miss Messy posted on May 12, 2013 at 11:37 am (#)

Look delicious :) i can’tget crescent rolls in the UK and don’t even know what they are. But this sounds so yummy i might do them from scratch!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Ugh, why can’t Pillsbury get on the ball internationally? You could also use puff pastry, if you can find that. Crescent rolls are like a buttery, more doughy puff pastry. They come in a can, like cinnamon rolls and biscuits in the refrigerated section here in the US!

3. Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on May 12, 2013 at 11:40 am (#)

Dorothy — I love how you incorporated chocolate and orange; one of my all-time favorite combinations!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Sheila!

4. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on May 12, 2013 at 11:49 am (#)

20 minute sweet roll? I am in! I always had the prepackage sweet rolls when I was growing up and loved the orange so I am sure I will love these as well! Have a great day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Nancy! You too!

5. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on May 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm (#)

These look so absolutely delicious! Chocolate and orange are the BEST :) Hope you’re having a wonderful Mother’s Day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Jennifer! You too!

6. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on May 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm (#)

I just puffy heart love easy cinnamon rolls!!! I actually have a can of the sheet crescent rolls in my fridge right now…I’m thinking it needs to become cinnamon rolls before my diet starts again :-) Happy Mother’s Day sweet friend!!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Diet Schmiet! :) Thanks Jocelyn, you too!

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on May 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm (#)

I love a good crescent roll shortcut! I’ve done it with everything from PB&J to Nutella rolls. Can’t be beat in terms of EASE! Your rolls look delish!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Averie! Happy Mother’s Day!

8. Renee @ Awesome on $20 posted on May 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm (#)

See how great that orange chocolate combo is? It never fails. These look gorgeous, and I love the little cheat. I’m so impatient sometimes. I will definitely be trying these. I used to tell my daughter not to wake me unless she was bleeding. It worked sometimes. I hope you got to sleep in.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

LOL, I got until 6:30! :) Thanks Renee!

9. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on May 12, 2013 at 3:52 pm (#)

Yumm Dorothy!! These look so awesome and yummy! And I love that they are so super easy and quick. I hope you had a super awesome Mother’s Day that included sleeping past 6:30 :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Lisa!! She came in at 6:30 on the dot, lol. I hope you’re Mother’s Day was awesome!

10. etti posted on May 12, 2013 at 4:05 pm (#)

Hi, these look AMAAAAZING. My only question is I only eat kosher and crescent rolls are not kosher. I know puff pastry, and I can’t imagine that holding up to a cinnamon roll, plus they’re awfully greasy. …any other suggestions ? I know I could make my own, but I’m in love with the cheating part. You’re recipes seriously ROCK !! I wish you were my neighbor ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Are you near a Trader Joe’s at all? I just googled and it seems they have Pillsbury copycats, but they are Kosher!! Thank you, and I wish you were my neighbor too so I could share!

• etti replied on May 12th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thank you !! REALLY, so sweet of you to go to the trouble to find the crescent rolls for me. On behalf of my family and friends who will benefit from this, thank you. I’ll be hitting TJ’s first thing in the morning.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:33 am

You’re welcome! Enjoy! :)

11. Carolina HeartStrings posted on May 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm (#)

These look delicious! Your recipes always are.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thank you!! :)

12. Yvonne @ bitter baker posted on May 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm (#)

Chocolate and orange go soo well together! Love your pictures, as always! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Yvonne!

13. Tanya posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm (#)

Happy Mothers Day Dorothy, although I think your family got pampered today with these rolls!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Tanya! You too!

14. Mom posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

Well, I won’t say that I told you so…I just never imagined that you’d come up with combinations like this! I’m glad that you’ve discovered something that you (and many others) like. They sure look yummy!
    Love you,
    Mom

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thanks! xoxo Happy Mother’s Day mommy!

15. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

I’m coming to appreciate chocolate and orange, too. Moms do tend to be right – I know my mom normally is! Like when I want to whip the cream before adding to it the Alfredo sauce. The conversation with Jordan cracked me up! I love it:) And these rolls! Easy peasy orange squeazy (as my oj lovin’ brother says) and chocolate to boot. Yummy stuff!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thanks so much!! :)

16. Tieghan posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:23 pm (#)

Nothing wrong with taking a little short cut!! I love how easy these are!! I have never tried orange and chocolate, but I think you have convinced me. Finally! Thank Dorothy and Happy Mothers Day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Tieghan! :)

17. Susan posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm (#)

I love the combination of chocolate with orange and these look so easy. I have to say, I’d probably still make up the dough from scratch…it’s just the way I roll!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I love it from scratch too, but these are when I need one NOW. :)

18. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on May 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm (#)

6:30!! oh my.. you need to push off that girl to 7 !!

Glad to see you are tempting us with chocolate and orange.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 12th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I’m trying! She’s up by 5:30 usually…so I don’t see it happening, lol!

19. Cathy posted on May 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm (#)

Found you through …… Love your blog!

I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.
    The party opens Thursday night and closes on Wednesday night at midnight.

Please, invite your friends to party too! The more the merrier!

Hugs, Cathy

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:33 am

Thanks Cathy!!

20. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on May 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm (#)

I love sweet rolls, and that orange-chocolate sugar glaze looks absolutely delicious! I would pour it not only over sweet rolls for breakfast, I would pour it over a lot of stuff! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:33 am

Thank you Julia!

21. Cindy Harris posted on May 12, 2013 at 10:15 pm (#)

Chocolate and orange is the perfect. Marry them in cinnamon rolls and you have one delicious bite!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:32 am

Thanks Cindy!

22. Kathy posted on May 13, 2013 at 7:58 am (#)

Yum! Love how quick and easy these are!

23. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on May 13, 2013 at 8:54 am (#)

Glad my homemade version inspired these, Dorothy! It’s like adding chocolate chips to the Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls in a can. So good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Sally!

24. Dana posted on May 13, 2013 at 9:20 am (#)

Love this idea! I recently thought of doing a chocolate chip cinnamon roll. I love the idea of orange involved and these look delish! Hope you had a wonderful mother’s day!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

That would be fabulous!!! :) Thanks Dana!

25. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on May 13, 2013 at 9:23 am (#)

Yeah, there’s really nothing better than a fat, gooey cinnamon roll! I’ve actually never had an orange roll before — crazy? I must try!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Hayley!

26. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on May 13, 2013 at 11:06 am (#)

This recipe is dangerous! The reason why I don’t eat cinnamon rolls more often is because they are so labor intensive. Love how these only take 25 minutes tops.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Extremely dangerous! :) Thanks Nicole!!

27. Ashley posted on May 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm (#)

These remind me of special orange rolls my mom used to make for us when we were little. Although she never added chocolate … but I think that is an awesome addition : ) Chocolate is always a good thing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Thank you Ashley!

28. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on May 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm (#)

I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! These look incredible! I love how quickly they come together. Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 13th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I hope you had a great Mother’s Day too!

29. aimee @ like mother like daughter posted on May 14, 2013 at 8:15 am (#)

oh my goodness Dorothy, you are seriously a genius! I love orange rolls SO MUCH. And I love chocolate orange candy, but have NEVER thought of making orange rolls with chocolate chips! Its a perfect way to celebrate national chocolate chip day tomorrow. Yum!!

30. Erin @ Making Memories posted on May 14, 2013 at 9:02 am (#)

These look delicious (and so easy. Great combo!) 6:30 would be heaven. Our rule is 6am (which never seems to work) but now I’m thinking I need to move it out 30 minutes. A girl can dream, right?

31. Julie posted on May 14, 2013 at 9:51 am (#)

What a delicious little treat! Pinned to my food board!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 14th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Julie!

32. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on May 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm (#)

Ahhh sweet rolls are like my favorite breakfast! I have been having them every day lately… I know it is so bad. Thanks for giving me a new recipe to try! :D

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 15th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks Kristi!

33. Terra posted on May 14, 2013 at 9:32 pm (#)

One of my favorite flavor of sweet rolls is orange, sooooo yummy! I love that you added chocolate, how delicious! Hugs, Terra

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 15th, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thanks Terra!

34. Mackenzie posted on May 17, 2013 at 8:22 am (#)

Dorothy, I love that you used oranges in you rolls; they sounds amazing! I bet your house smelled equally as amazing! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 17th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Definitely! Thanks Mackenzie!

35. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke posted on May 17, 2013 at 11:22 am (#)

This sounds so fabulous!!! I love orange flavored baked goods!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 17th, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Kristen!

36. Pingback: Great Ideas -- 20 Happy Projects!!

37. Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil posted on May 18, 2013 at 6:10 am (#)

Whoa! I love this idea!!!

38. Sinea Pies posted on May 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm (#)

Thanks so much for sharing these delicious rolls on Sugar & Slice Sunday. They look awesome.
    Please do stop by again tomorrow night for our dessert hop.
    ALSO, I host the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop on Ducks ‘n a Row and would LOVE it if you’d add your links. :)

39. Pingback: Sugar & Slice Sunday Link Party #28

40. Brett posted on June 10, 2013 at 3:18 am (#)

These look A*M*A*Z*I*N*G–I can’t wait to try!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 10th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Brett!

41. Pingback: Easy Rhubarb Vanilla Sweet Rolls - Young, Broke and Hungry

42. Pingback: Biscoff Peach Empanadas

43. Emi posted on September 15, 2013 at 1:29 am (#)

I fell in love with your recipe and it’s mouth watering pic the first time I saw it on Pinterest. I reeeeeally wanted to try making but just don’t have the time (bogged down with uni work), but it’s been on my mind for 3 weeks now so I decided to do an illustration of it instead. And now I’m at peace , sigh.
    Hope you don’t mind and check it out if you’ve got the time!
    http://eminits.tumblr.com/post/61286892432/15-09-13-inspired-by-a-delicious-looking-image or http://eminits.tumblr.com/

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

That artwork is stunning! You’re amazing!

• Emi replied on September 18th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Yay!!!! You like it?!!!!!! I’m glad.
        Thanks for the reply and have a nice day :)

44. Pingback: Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies | wine & glue

45. Pingback: Peanut Butter Snickerdoodle Crescent Rolls - Crazy for Crust

46. Pingback: 10 Easy Brunch Recipes to Make for Mother's Day - Perfect Your Lifestyle