Mar 17

Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies

Coconut Cream Hershey’s Kisses, brownie mix, and pie crust make up these delicious treats! Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies are a fast and yummy dessert, perfect for Easter!

Coconut-Kiss-Brownie-Pies-4words

I am in love with the song “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (featuring Wanz). Have you heard it? It’s a rap song, but it has a good beat and there’ s clean version on iTunes. (Here’s the clean version, if you want to see if you’ve heard it. The video is the foul language one, but it’s a hilarious video.) I like it for working out. The guy talks all about shopping at the thrift shop for his dope clothes and stuff. Problem is? ALL I can think about when I hear the song is me and my blogger friends shopping at Goodwill for our food props.

I picture it in my head: me and some of my blogger friends all up in our preppy clothes digging through bins at Goodwill. Can you picture it? No? If I wasn’t tone deaf, and knew how to make music video parodies, I would totally make a parody video that would be seen, like, a gazillion times and be on the Today show or something.

So I did the next best thing: I made lyrics to, what I’m calling “Food Blogger Thrift Shop.” You’re welcome. (Lyrics to the song changed from here.)

Hey, Crazy for Crust! Can we go thrift shopping?

What, what, what, what…

Bada, badada, badada, bada…

I’m gonna find some props
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I – I – I’m hunting, looking for a deal
This is freaking awesome

Nah, Set up my shoot like, “What I got some new props!”
I’m so pumped about this stuff from the thrift shop
Lace on the napkins, is so darn dope
People be like “Wow those pics are pretty” gotta hope!
Rollin’ in, super fast, headin’ for the good sun
Props all set up, ‘cept for the food, so much fun
Draped in my camera, gotta match all the patterns
Probably shoulda got something else
But shoot, it was ninety-nine cents! (Bag it)

Grabbin’ it, washin’ it, ’bout to go and get some Pins
Passin’ up on those bundt pans no one ever washed
Headin’ to the plate aisle
I am lookin’ and diggin’ and
Savin’ my money and I’m hella happy that’s a bargain, yo
I’ma take your grandma’s style, I’ma take your grandma’s style,
No for real – ask your grandma – can I have her hand-me-downs? (Thank you)
White tiny plates and some clear glass mugs
Ice cream bowls and some cute spoons I found diggin’
They had a broken cutting board, I bought a broken cutting board
I bought a butter dish, then I bought a table runner
Hello, hello, my blogger friend, my Pinner
Other bloggers ain’t got nothing on my prop game, hell no
I could take some napkins, make them cool, dye those
The Pinterest heads would be like “Aw, she got the matching bowls”

Coconut-Kiss-Brownie-Pies02-1words

What you know about rockin’ a cannister on your set-up?
What you knowin’ about proppin’ a pan of fudge?
I’m digging, I’m digging, I’m searching right through that basket
One woman’s trash, that’s another woman’s come-up
Thank your grandma for donating that tiny white plate
‘Cause right now I’m up in here proppin’
I’m at the Goodwill, you can find me in the (Plates)
I’m not, I’m not sick of searchin’ in that section (Plates)
Your grammy, your aunty, your momma, your mammy
I’ll take those Anthro place mats, second-hand, I rock that don’t you know
The cake stand with the hearts on that thing
I hit the pin party and they stop in that thing
They be like, “Oh, that milk bottle – that’s hella tight.”
I’m like, “Yo – that’s fifty dollars for a serving platter.”
Limited edition, let’s do some simple addition
Fifty dollars for a serving platter – that’s just some crazy
I call that getting swindled and taken
I call that getting tricked by a business
That serving platter’s hella dough
And having the same one as six other people on Pinterest is a hella don’t
Peep game, come take a look through my telescope
Trying to get notice from a brand? Girl you hella won’t

I use your grandma’s napkins
This food looks incredible
I’m staging this big prop stand
From that thrift shop down the road

I’m gonna find some props
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I – I – I’m hunting, looking for a deal
This is freaking awesome

Is that your grandma’s doily?

I know, like I have nothing else to do, right? But seriously, it’s ALL I can think about.

Except for these Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies, that is.

Coconut Kisses are back, yo’!

Coconut-Kiss-Brownie-Pies06-2words

Hands down, Coconut Hershey’s Kisses are my favorites. I buy two bags: one to cook with and one to eat.

These pies are the easiest things ever and come together super fast. Pie crust is pressed into mini muffin tins and filled with 1 tablespoon each of brownie mix. Bake, then press a Coconut Kiss on top, like you would a blossom cookie. Let them cool and you have a brownie pie with a hint of coconut!

The only problem with these? It only makes 3 dozen. I wanted 8. Or maybe 12.

Since they came together so fast (literally in minutes), I freed up a lot of time to do other things.

Coconut-Kiss-Brownie-Pies09-3words

Like going thrift shopping. Or something.

{If you don’t like or can’t find the Coconut Kisses (they are only available at Easter) you can substitute any Kiss flavor! Caramel, regular, Candy Cane, Cherry Cordial, or Mint Truffle for Christmas, Pumpkin Spice for Fall. Use what you like!}

Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies

Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies

• 1 box (2 rolls) refrigerated pie crust
  • 1 box (9x13” pan size) brownie mix, plus egg, water, and oil called for on the box
  • 36 Coconut Cream Hershey’s Kisses

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll one pie crust and use a 2 1/2” round cookie cutter to cut circles of dough, re-rolling as needed. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray (I like to use the kind with flour in it) and press one round in each cavity. Repeat with second crust in box. You will get about 36. Chill until ready to fill.
  2. Prepare brownie mix according to the package directions. Remove crusts from refrigerator and fill each cavity with 1 tablespoon brownie batter. (You’ll have some leftover. You can back the leftover as cupcakes or in a loaf pan and use for brownie pops or just eat it with a fork.)
  3. Bake pies for about 15 minutes, until the crust is browned. While the pies are baking, unwrap your Coconut Kisses.
  4. Remove the hot pies from the oven and place one Kiss in the center of each (much like you’d do with blossom cookies). Let cool completely before moving or removing from the pan. If you move them too soon, the Kisses will collapse! Once cooled, a gentle urging from a butter knife will help them pop out of the muffin pans.

Notes

If you don't like or can't find the Coconut Kisses (they are only available at Easter) you can substitute any Kiss flavor! Caramel, regular, Candy Cane, Cherry Cordial, or Mint Truffle for Christmas, Pumpkin Spice for Fall. Use what you like!

Other coconut goodness:

Kiss My Cookie Bark {Coconut Edition}

kiss-my-cookie-bark-coconut-edition

Frozen Almond Joy Mini Pies

frozen-almond-joy-mini-pies

Sweets from Friends:
Almond Joy Magic Pie by The Domestic Rebel
4 Ingredient Coconut Cream Bars by Back for Seconds
Samoas Inspired Ghiradella S’mores by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

89 Responses to “Coconut Kiss Brownie Pies”

1. Jen @JuanitasCocina posted on March 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm (#)

Why have I never seen coconut kisses? I’ve been denied!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

You must find them! Target! :)

2. Amey posted on March 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm (#)

These look amazing! Where did you find coconut kisses??

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I got these at Target!!!! I think they have them other places too last year, but I haven’t found them at Walmart (yet).

3. Pamela posted on March 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm (#)

OK I have to find these coconut kisses, this treat looks so YUMMY!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Totally Pamela! They are my favorites!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm (#)

Easy and adorable with tons of chocolate. My kinda recipe!

5. Mom posted on March 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm (#)

These look great. Wish I had some now.
    What are you going to use a broken cutting board for???
    Love, Mom

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

LOL, cover it up with parchment, of course. :)

6. Stephanie @ Back for Seconds posted on March 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

Oh my goodness. You. Are. Hilarious! I don’t even want to know how long it took you to write those lyrics, lol! So funny :)
    These look awesome – and SO easy! Love that.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I dreamt them for three days, lol. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. :) Thanks so much Stephanie!

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on March 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm (#)

Ooh can I be in on your thrift store rap food blogger fantasty?? You are a talented lyricist my friend :P

And ohhh these pies are so cute and little and looove the coconut kisses!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Of course, the more peeps the merrier. ;) Thanks Kayle!

8. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on March 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm (#)

LOL!!!! You are hilarious. I LOVE that song. Young Love House had a challenge to go and live out the song. I was totally going to do it, but it just didn’t seem like it would be that funny if my kids were along. These cookies look AWESOME. Yum.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Lisa! I so want to do that, live out the song. Freaking hilarious!

9. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on March 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm (#)

LOVE these brownie cups. And, hello??? Maybe you should seek this new talent of yours. Love the lyrics girl.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Aimee. You, me, and a few others can rap our way through Goodwill…

10. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on March 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm (#)

You have been hiding some mad skills from us girl! You are totes hilarious!!!! Love it!!! How fun would it be to really go thrift store diving and then go eat some coconut kiss brownie pies! Yum!!! I love those kisses. I have a bag in my cupboard just waiting to be baked!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 17th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I have a bag left to eat! LOL! Thanks Jocelyn. You are one of the ones I pictured in our video…

11. Trish @ Uncommon posted on March 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

These look delicious and the pictures are beyond gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing with us this week at the Monday Funday link party!

Take care,

Trish

12. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on March 17, 2013 at 6:31 pm (#)

Oh em gee that’s the most hilarious thing I’ve seen in a loooong time! I love your switched up lyrics to Thrift Shop. Now this is all I’m going to imagine when I hear that song – bloggers looking for kitchen props! And I’m dying to make several batches of these beauties. You are genius for combining all these desserts into one.

13. Cookin Canuck posted on March 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm (#)

Too funny! Tone deaf or not, I am waiting for the video version.

Love these little treats. They would be perfect to tuck into my boys’ lunch boxes.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 6:42 am

If only I had the guts (or know-how)! I REALLY want to do it… :)

14. Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More posted on March 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm (#)

Coconut kisses? Why haven’t i seen these? these little brownie pies are too cute!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 6:41 am

Thanks Kristy! I know, SUPER yum too!

15. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on March 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

Your version of the song is freakin’ awesome! LOVE the lyrics! You’ve got some serious talent!

16. Gayathri Ramanan posted on March 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm (#)

these looks yummy and tempting..beautiful clicks..

17. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on March 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm (#)

HOW have I never tried coconut kisses? I love that you wrote all the words to that song. You gotta keep your mind occupied somehow while you work out, right? I usually just think about food. ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 6:40 am

I think about that too. :) ALWAYS!

18. Erin posted on March 17, 2013 at 9:30 pm (#)

OMG I’m obsessed with that song. Even my girls love it. You are brilliant and frickin hilarious. And your food is delicious too.

19. Nikki @ Chef in Training posted on March 18, 2013 at 12:50 am (#)

MMM! These look and sound SO good! GREAT photos, Dorothy!

20. Marina posted on March 18, 2013 at 1:33 am (#)

How good this looks!! Yum!

21. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) posted on March 18, 2013 at 5:28 am (#)

Well, your photos are beautiful and your props don’t look like they came from Goodwill. And these coconut kiss pies look simply awesome. Methinks I should have some around to stay in my wife’s good graces.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Thank you! And 99% of them do. :) The best, and cheapest, place to look!

22. Liz Fourez posted on March 18, 2013 at 6:30 am (#)

I seriously cannot stop laughing right now, Dorothy!! You crack me up! The recipe looks amazing and you’ve totally made my day with you rap skills. Thanks for sharing ; )

LIz

23. Alysia @ Slim Sanity posted on March 18, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

Oh I could definitely get down with these! I love coconut!

24. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste posted on March 18, 2013 at 7:30 am (#)

Oh my heavens! Chocolate and coconut is my all-time favorite pair. Can’t wait to try these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thanks Kelly! It’s one of my favorites too!

25. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on March 18, 2013 at 7:43 am (#)

(running to the store to buy coconut kisses………) loving these my friend.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 10:42 am

Run fast! :) I love them SOOOO much Sally!

26. tanya posted on March 18, 2013 at 7:44 am (#)

The original song is pretty funny and sort of addicting, but this version is waaayy better Dorothy! You are a lyrical genius my friend! You could write raps on the side! But I’m really here for those sweet, chocolatey cups! Love the coconut kisses!

27. carrian posted on March 18, 2013 at 9:33 am (#)

Good heavens those are amazing! What a fantastic idea!

28. Wendy @ AMFT posted on March 18, 2013 at 9:33 am (#)

These look amazing! I’ve never heard of the coconut kisses…but I MUST find them! And I love that this is only 3 ingredients…EASY!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 10:40 am

I know, right??? Thanks Wendy!

29. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on March 18, 2013 at 10:14 am (#)

What great lyrics! You have talent my friend. And coconut kisses are a danger to me in my house. I could eat a whole bag in one sitting. At least now I’ll have a recipe to use them for.

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ha, thanks Nicole! :) And I know, they are SO dangerous!

30. Shannah @ Just Us Four posted on March 18, 2013 at 10:49 am (#)

These look amazing. I didn’t even know they had coconut kisses. This is a fantastic project! Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

You must find them, they are so good. Thanks Shannah!

31. Jett W. posted on March 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm (#)

These look fantastic! Can’t wait to try those kisses … sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t =)

32. Kelly @ View Along the Way posted on March 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm (#)

These look SO dangerously delicious! I bet I could eat 20. :) Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I could most certainly eat that many… :) Thanks Kelly!

33. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on March 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm (#)

Hahahaha oh my, if I knew you were such a good rapper I would have insisted you rap yesterday on our walk! That was hilarious and I, too, am obsessed with the song since I heard it! Too funny. And true! We should go thrifting together downtown sometime :) and you should also give me 15 of these pies sometime!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

We should totally go proppin’ together. :) And I wish I had some of these left!

34. Kristin posted on March 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm (#)

You’re so creative! Jordan must be thrilled to have a “cool” mom :)
    As soon as my candy-ban is over, I think I want to try those Kisses!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 5:58 pm

You must try them Kristin! I got mine at Target. SOOO good. And, as for Jordan…I’m cool….NOW. It’ll be more fun when she’s a teen lol!

35. Kim Beaulieu posted on March 18, 2013 at 4:28 pm (#)

Okay seriously you are hilarious. Loved the song. You now have to record it lady!

These are so gorgeous. I think they’d be dangerous in my house. I adore coconut. And chocolate. And brownies. And kisses. Cripes I sound like a sugar addict…okay..guilty!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 18th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

You are talking to the ultimate sugar addict here! :) Thanks Kim!

36. Liz posted on March 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm (#)

There are coconut kisses??? I didn’t need to know this…as my cart will be swinging down the candy aisle during my next Target run! Great mini-brownies!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Yes, you MUST get them. Best ones ever! :)

37. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on March 18, 2013 at 6:32 pm (#)

Love the song and those are the most adorable little pies ever!

38. kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor posted on March 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm (#)

Holy Moly, Dorothy!! I can’t even wrap my head around these. Must. Find. Coconut. Kisses.
    YUM!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Yes you must Kristi! Thank you!

39. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on March 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm (#)

Oh my, now I ‘need’ to buy Coconut Kisses … I was trying to ignore them as they called my name!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 6:27 am

Yes, you really do need too! :)

40. Bonnie @ Uncommon posted on March 19, 2013 at 4:32 am (#)

Ok..these look absolutely amazing. Have to find those kisses. On a side note…I giggled so hard through this….ya need to make your own video! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 6:25 am

Thanks Bonnie! :) I really, really want too, lol!

41. Erin @ Making Memories posted on March 19, 2013 at 11:03 am (#)

Oh my heck! You crack me up. That video is a riot! I work at a middle school and we’re trying to get “thrift shop day” for a dress up day. Wouldn’t that be a riot?! Your brownies pies look 2 die for!!!! How can you go wrong with pie crust and brownies? Can’t!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 19th, 2013 at 3:00 pm

That would be hilarious! I love that song. :) Thanks Erin!

42. Christi posted on March 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm (#)

Oh my goodness- I love those coconut kisses! They are SO good and these look fantastic, thanks for sharing!!

43. Lyuba@willcookforsmiles posted on March 21, 2013 at 10:15 am (#)

You are TOO FUNNY! I don’t know what I like better the song or the brownie pies! Ok, the brownie pie because I loove coconut anything :) The song is awesome though, I am itching to go get some props!

45. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on March 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm (#)

Gosh darn those look good! Crust, brownies and coconut? Amaze-balls! Thanks for sharing these at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker.

46. Pingback: 101 Desserts using Hershey Kisses - Something Swanky