Feb 18

Nutter Butter Butterscotch Blondies

A blondie bar taken to a whole new level with chopped Nutter Butter Cookies, Peanut Butter Chips, and Butterscotch!

nutter butter butterscotch blondies

Oh hi there! You recognize me right? It’s me, Crazy for Crust. I went to the beauty salon this past weekend and got some work done. Maybe you noticed my new ‘do?

{Or maybe you’re reading in a reader? Or in an email? And have no idea what I’m talking about? Click on through, come on. You don’t want to miss it!}

That’s right! My baby Crazy for Crust got herself a new look! Isn’t it fabulous????

As much as I loved what I designed when I switched over to WordPress, there was just so much I wanted that I could not figure out. Little nagging things that bugged me every. single. day. And now it’s all fixed! And purty!

I’d like to give a huge shout-out thank you to Vanessa at Nifty Thrifty Things. She’s amazing! Not only do I have a normal-width sidebar now, but I also have super cool recipe pages! They’re, like, visual and stuff. So go browse around! Find some sugar.

But wait. Don’t go just yet. You want to pin these blondies first. For later. Because, well. If there is only one thing I love more than my new blog design, it might be these blondies.

Maybe…

nutter butter butterscotch blondies

Blondies may not be a new idea…but they sort of are to me. I only recently found my go-to blondie recipe, and I’ve had so much fun lately recreating new versions. As much as I love chocolate, there’s something about a rich, brown sugary blondie that just satisfies, you know?

These blondies are brought to a new level with the addition of some of my favorite things: Nutter Butter Cookies, peanut butter chips, and butterscotch. I mean, that’s like the trifecta of awesomeness for a bar, am I right?

If you’ve never had Nutter Butters, they are a peanut butter sandwich cookie. I will put aside that fact that I don’t understand how you’ve lived life as an American without tasting one. (I’ll excuse my International friends because I know the wonder that is the Nutter Butter doesn’t often exist outside the USA.) Whatever your excuse, get yourself to the store and get a pack, okay? Then make pie and brownies out of them. Oh, and make these. Make these first!

I added the cookies and peanut butter chips in the batter. Combined with the brown sugar, this creates a soft, chewy, nutty bar. Then, while the bars were still hot and  not-quite-done, I sprinkled the top with butterscotch chips. Put the pan back in the oven for a few minutes so the chips can melt. As soon as you remove the pan from the oven, you can spread the chips evenly over the blondies. Butterscotch pairs well with…well anything. But really, it pairs amazingly with peanut butter. Trust me!

nutter butter butterscotch blondies

Now excuse me while I go oogle my site a little…. ;)

Nutter Butter Butterscotch Blondies

Nutter Butter Butterscotch Blondies

• 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 bag (about 2 cups) peanut butter chips, divided
  • 14 Nutter Butter cookies, coarsely chopped
  • Sprinkles, any color

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Cream brown sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add baking powder, salt, and flour and mix. Mix in butterscotch chips,1/2 cup peanut butter chips, and Nutter Butters.
  3. Press into prepared pan (dough is sticky, spray your hands with cooking spray to avoid it sticking to your hands). Bake at 350 for 23 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining peanut butter chips over the top of the hot bars. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully spread the melting chips over the top of the bars to create a frosting. Sprinkle with sprinkles and let cool. (Be careful not to overcook - the center will still be jiggly when you take these out of the oven and they will finish cooking and firming up as they cool.) Cool completely before slicing into squares.

Check out these blondies too!

Very Vanilla Bars

50 shades vanilla 3 words

Peanut Butter Brownies with Pretzel Crust

peanut butter brownies 2 words

Lemon Vanilla Dream Bars by Kitchen Meets Girl
White Chocolate and Caramel Blondies by Lil’ Luna
Caramel Cadbury Eggs Cookie Bars by Something Swanky

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

80 Responses to “Nutter Butter Butterscotch Blondies”

1. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm (#)

Looks good around here Dorothy!!! And these blondies…oh my gosh. They have butterscotch. And we all know I LOVE me some butterscotch :)

2. Jenn posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm (#)

I love the new look! And I love the new blondies – you can never go wrong with peanut butter and butterscotch.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Jenn! No, you never can. :)

3. Heather @French Press posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm (#)

wow – you have been a busy little designer/baker/blogger – makes me feel like a lazy bum:) I was just looking for ways to use butterscotch today

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Ha, well I didn’t design it. I just sat back and fired off questions. :) Thanks Heather!

4. Claire @ A Little Claireification posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm (#)

LOVE the new blog design and , ok. These look like something that I need RIGHT NOW (as I am re-working my recipe gallery – ugh). Just YUMMMMM!
    Hugs, Claire

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Claire! Now I just need to add all the featured images (ugh!)

5. Cindy Eikenberg posted on February 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

Dorothy, the blog looks fantastic! And these Blondies look pretty darn amazing, too – wish I could reach through the screen and have one right now! Congrats on the great new design to showcase your wonderful work! ~Cindy

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on February 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm (#)

Love these flavors! I have a Nutter Butter nobake bar recipe from like 2010 that I need to dust off. And I love blondies! PERFECT combo.

Congrats on the new site. I was looking for someone to do the visual recipe indexing for AGES. Finally, my turn has come up on a designer’s wait list and am so excited but yeah, the past year have been emailing designers and no one was able to help. Remember when we emailed about thesis vs. genesis. A downfall of Thesis that no one seemed to be able to help with. Another reason be glad you went with Genesis!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Ugh Averie what a pain! I love the visual index, and now I realize how many featured images I need to install…

7. Mom posted on February 18, 2013 at 5:03 pm (#)

Everything looks great, especially the blondies.
    Love you,
    Mom

8. Kristin posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:13 pm (#)

The problem I have with Nutter Butters is that they would probably never make it into these blondies. Pinning this (with true intention of trying them!)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

LOL, I know the feeling…

9. Carla posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

Those brownies look amazing…I’m pinning and will definitely be back to make them! And your new design is **awesome**!!! Congrats!

10. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm (#)

Oh man! I wish I had some of these nutter butter blondies while watching The Bachelor tonight. Would of made wasting 2 hours more pleasing. :) I hope you had a great weekend with your family!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

LOL! I need to waste 2 hours on that show more often. :) Thanks Meghan!

11. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on February 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm (#)

I noticed the new look when I popped over yesterday. It looks GREAT! Nothing wrong with a little touch up now and then.

12. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm (#)

Dorothy, these look great! I forgot about my love for Nutter Butter cookies :) Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:41 am

Thanks Whitney! I’m in loooove with Nutters! :)

13. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm (#)

Love the new look! And these blondies… I can’t resist anything with Nutter Butters in them… then you had to go and throw in peanut butter and butterscotch chips!!! Looks soooo good!

14. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on February 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

Site looks great!

These Blondies look delightful. I am going to Florida next week… I think I will be looking for some nutter butters and cookie spread of course.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:41 am

Oh yes, you must. Bring a second suitcase, lol. :)

15. Wendy posted on February 18, 2013 at 8:19 pm (#)

The site looks pretty and these blondies look dangerous! I love the crunchy inside the chewy. Now I just need some Nutter Butters.

16. Wendy @ AMFT posted on February 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm (#)

Holy Cow Dorothy…these sound amazing! I love blondies and can’t wait to give them a try.

17. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on February 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm (#)

Blondies, how I love you so! Seriously my favorite dessert — period. You can’t beat their greatness! I am LOOOOVING the fact that you added Nutter Butters AND butterscotch. Amazeballs, much? And I am also looooving your ritzy new blog design! I hope you know I’m gonna hound you for tips and help when I finally take mine in to get plastic surgery ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:19 am

Thanks Hayley! And I’ll say “Call Vanessa over at Nifty Thrifty Things.” LOL :)

18. Liz posted on February 19, 2013 at 3:46 am (#)

Your blog looks amazing!!! And your blondies do, too!!!!

19. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on February 19, 2013 at 5:43 am (#)

I think the site looks great, and yep never tried a nutter butter, but it would literally kill hubby, so we will have to do without.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:15 am

Well, I’ll give you a pass then! (Ha, kidding. Poor hubby!)

20. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on February 19, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

This is just so wonderful I want it right now for my post breakfast dessert haha

21. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on February 19, 2013 at 8:35 am (#)

Oh these are like the perfect marriage of flavors! Can’t wait to try them :)

22. Tonia@thegunnysack posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:05 am (#)

The blog looks awesome! And yes you certainly did take the humble blondie to a whole new level with these bars! Yum!

23. Amber @ Sprinkled With Flour posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

I love nutter butters! I also love blondies, and putting them together sounds amazing! Seriously, it’s kinda mean to post this much deliciousness when I’m trying to be good. lol. :)

24. tanya posted on February 19, 2013 at 9:25 am (#)

Looks pretty amazing! I’m talking about the blog and the bars!!! Butterscotch is my weakness! And I never met a blondie I didn’t like!! Nice job Dorothy!

25. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on February 19, 2013 at 11:20 am (#)

I LOVE the new look!! So colorful and happy! And now I want to make seven hundred different things from Nutter Butters.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Welcome to my world, lol! :)

26. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on February 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm (#)

These blondies look so decadent and gooey and perfect. You can’t go wrong with a butterscotch/peanut butter combo. Love ‘em, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

No, you can’t! Thanks Ashley!

27. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies posted on February 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm (#)

nutter butters + butterscotch? Not fair, just not fair. These sound so amazing! Nutter butters happen to be my dads 2nd favorite storebought cookie (if packaged oatmeal cream pies count as cookies… he thinks they do!)– he’s a busy accountant man, so I think he deserves my making him a fancy nutter butter blondie!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I think he certainly does! :) Thanks Kelly!

28. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts posted on February 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm (#)

The new site looks great.
    Love these bars though, blondies are kind of an obsession of mine!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Mine too, recently! Thanks Erin!

30. Back For Seconds posted on February 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm (#)

Brownies will always be my fave BUT add nutter butters to blondies and you have my attention! :) They look perfect! And your site looks beautiful! Love love LOVE it(and you)!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Aw, thanks! I heart you too! :)

31. Ashton posted on February 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm (#)

Well, you know how I feel about your new design!! But, I’ll say it again anyway: Vanessa is a freaking genius and I’m in love with every blog she touches ;) (including yours, obviously)

And these bars look AMAZING! I’ll be pinning soon!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 19th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks so much! I think I’m sort of in love with Vanessa, lol. :)

32. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on February 20, 2013 at 5:10 am (#)

Loooove the new look, Dorothy! Almost as much as these blondies (which totally look amazing!)

33. Kari@Loaves n Dishes posted on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 am (#)

Dorothy, you had me at Nutter Butters! Such a perfectly, clever combination of flavors.

34. Brenda posted on February 20, 2013 at 9:47 am (#)

The new design is so spiffy … love it! I am pinning this recipe … butterscotch and Nutter Butters … it can’t get any better :)

35. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on February 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm (#)

Love the new Look! I had forgotten that you were the blog that did the 50 shades party! I think of that post all the time and it makes me giggle! That is when I actually decided to read the series. These Nutter butter butterscotch blondies Oh My!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

LOL, I giggle about it too! Thanks Chandra!

36. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on February 20, 2013 at 7:24 pm (#)

Looks beautiful, Dorothy! And by that, I mean the site and the blondies! Truly delicious-looking…

37. Laura Dembowski posted on February 21, 2013 at 7:18 am (#)

Blondies are seriously one of my favorite things. I make them all the time and make all different kinds. I love the idea of putting Nutter Butters in them, as well as using pb chips to make a frosting. Genius!

38. carrian posted on February 21, 2013 at 11:29 am (#)

These sound scrumptious!!!!

39. Pingback: Whatever Friday {Instagram, Birthdays, and NKOTB} - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

40. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on February 23, 2013 at 9:03 am (#)

Yum, yum, yum! Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker! Hope to see you there again on Monday night!

41. claire @ the realistic nutritionist posted on October 20, 2013 at 9:11 am (#)

OHMYGGG These are so amazing!!

42. Pingback: Loaded Oatmeal Blondies - Crazy for Crust