Dec 02

Funfetti Marshmallows

Before we get started, go check me out over at Design Dazzle today! I’m sharing some FUNFETTI sandwich cookies, filled with marshmallow frosting!!! It’s funfetti madness ’round these parts, yo!

I had a horrible realization the other day:

Fat pants just make you fatter.

Seriously, did you already know this? I think I had an inkling…one that has been sadly confirmed over the past few weeks. You see, on days when it’s cold, cloudy, and rainy all I want to do is wear sweats and that sweater and do stuff around the house, like surf pinterest clean. The way I figure it is, if all I’m doing is picking up at school…why bother get all the way dressed nice?

{I know, I’m giving you a great visual of me, aren’t I?}

Anyway, you know what happens when you wear sweats too much? You forget that your jeans actually need to button. Then you are rudely reminded of the batch of cookies you ate when you try to get “real” dressed.

Sigh. It’s the story of my life right now. But you know what? It’s almost Christmas so I’m not going to worry too much about it.

Not when there are cookies, fudge, and homemade marshmallows around every corner!

Ever since I made Pumpkin Pie Marshmallows, I’m no longer afraid of making these babies from scratch. They are SO. Much. Better. Than store-bought marshmallows. To eat anyway, plain.

Really, you’d never catch me eating a plain marshmallow. I prefer them buried in my cocoa or my krispie treats. But these? Homemade marshmallows? I’ll for sure eat them plain. No s’mores needed! {Although I bet that would be gooooood.}

Have you ever heard of the book, Marshmallow Madness! by Shauna Server? It’s the cutest book ever! The cover is even squishy, like a marshmallow. {Seriously, book publishers think of everything. My (someday) book needs to be covered in real pie crust.} The book is a work of art. So many ideas! Anyway, I got it for my birthday awhile back and have been dying to dig in.

These marshmallows are a variation of Shauna’s. I changed up her Vanilla ones a little to add some funfetti flavor in the form of butter emulsion. It seriously gives the most cake battery flavor without using any actual cake mix! (You can also use butter extract, sold where you get vanilla extract at your grocery store.) And sprinkles. Of course I needed to add sprinkles.

Jordan and her friends loved these marshmallows. (So did I, unfortunately. Bring on the fat pants…they are here to stay for awhile!)

Funfetti Marshmallows

Slightly adapted from Marshmallow Madness! by Shauna Sever.

• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons (almost 2 envelopes) unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup, divided
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon butter emulsion or butter extract
  • 2 tablespoons funfetti or holiday sprinkles

1. Spray an 8x8” pan with cooking spray.
  2. Make the coating mixture by whisking powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. Whisk the gelatin and 1/2 cold water in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
  4. Stir the sugar, 1/4 cup corn syrup, 1/4 water, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, pour the remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Microwave the gelatin mixture until completely melted, about 30 seconds. Add to the mixer bowl and let it run on low.
  5. When the syrup reaches 240 degrees, slowly pour it into the mixer bowl. Turn mixer to medium (about level 4) and beat for 5 minutes. Increase to medium-high (level 6-8) and beat for 5 more minutes. Beat on the highest setting for 1-2 minutes and then turn to low and add vanilla and butter emulsion. (The mallow will have tripled in volume.) Turn off mixer and stir in sprinkles.
  6. Pour marshmallow into prepared pan and sift about 2/3 of the coating mixture evenly over the top. Let sit for at least 6 hours to set.
  7. Use a knife to loosen the marshmallow from the pan. Invert onto a cutting board sprinkled with the remaining coating mixture. Cut into squares, dipping the edges in the coating mixture as needed and pat off the excess.

Notes

These would be perfect for gift giving this holiday!

Today I’m joining up with a cookie exchange and brand new linky party (Show Me Your Plaid Mondays) over at the Plaid and Paisley Kitchen. Go join in!

Love Marshmallows? You might like these:

Pumpkin Pie Marshmallows  S'mores Cookies
Toasted Coconut and Vanilla Bean Marshmallows by Sweet 2 Eat Baking

Reese’s Stuffed Marshmallow Pops by Dip it in Chocolate

Pumpkin Pie Fudge with Nutella and Marshmallow Swirl by Something Swanky

Thanks for reading!

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

43 Responses to “Funfetti Marshmallows”

1. The Witch's Kitchen posted on December 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm (#)

hmmmmmmm….I wonder how these would taste in fondant?

• crazyforcrust replied on December 2nd, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Hmmmm. I’ve never made fondant before. They aren’t as “hard” as the store-bought, so I’m not sure if that would change the fondant any? I’d love to know if you try it!

2. Back For Seconds posted on December 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm (#)

These are so fun and festive! And I bet you look goooood in those sweat pants :p

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on December 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm (#)

woah girl these look amazing! Homemade marshmallows have been on my to-make list for a long time. But seeing how much I love krispie treats, I’m too afraid to have them in my home! I think it’s time to remedy that though!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 2nd, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I’d be afraid too. Very afraid. ;)

4. Veronica posted on December 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm (#)

Peppermint marshmallows are in my lineup of things to make but I have to say, they make me kind of nervous! You, however, make homemade marshmallows look super easy! These are great and would be amazing on top of some white hot cocoa… Mmmm! PS: throw some heels on with those sweats and people won’t know what to think ;)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 2nd, 2012 at 7:43 pm

LOL, I’d get the “LOOK” from my daughter if I did that for sure! And, I was SO scared the first time I made them. But they are easy!

5. Jenn posted on December 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm (#)

You couldn’t have said it any better going from sweats to getting “real” dressed! Your mallows look delish!

6. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on December 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm (#)

I have got to make marshmallows – in my fat pants! It’s definitely something on my checklist to do!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 2nd, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Yes, they are the best working outfit too. :)

7. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on December 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm (#)

Fat pants rule. Bring on the marshmallows!!

8. Kaylee @ Couponing & Cooking posted on December 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm (#)

I have a major fear of making homemade marshmallows but an overwhelming love of all things funfetti and sweatpants. These almost give me the courage to try and attempt using gelatin.

9. Kristin posted on December 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm (#)

I really appreciate that you’re trying to get me into fat pants. I think that I would devour these by the bagful.

10. Joan@Chocolateandmore posted on December 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm (#)

Marshmallows have been on my “to do” list for ever but I have been afraid. And now that you bring up the fat pants, I’m really not sure about it. These just look so fun and since you do mention the gifting…Just need to make sure my Christmas list doesn’t have “bigger fat pants” at the top of it, lol

11. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on December 2, 2012 at 9:45 pm (#)

I already need the fat pants, so I’m scared to make marshmallows this yummy…it would require the fatty mcfatty pants for me because I know I won’t be able to stop eating them! Honestly marshmallows are on my baking bucket list…you totally make them looks so easy:-)

12. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on December 3, 2012 at 5:29 am (#)

being a fan of all things funfetti, i can see these marshmallows working perfectly in a sally s’more. or well, just eaten alone. i can never control myself around marshmallows! And i’ve never made my own. love the christmas, festive sprinkles. :)

13. Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection posted on December 3, 2012 at 6:21 am (#)

I’m a sucker for marshmallows and marshmallow fluff, but have never tried making them myself. They always intimidate me…anything with a candy thermometer sounds hard haha. But I think I might just take the plunge and try this recipe. I love the festive sprinkles you mixed in. :)

14. Liz posted on December 3, 2012 at 6:26 am (#)

These look great Dorothy and your cookies at Design Dazzle look scrumptious! So festive too :)

15. Pingback: Funfetti Marshmallows | Crazy for Crust

16. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie posted on December 3, 2012 at 8:44 am (#)

After making marshmallows for the first time recently, I am more likely to make these now, yay funfeitt!

17. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on December 3, 2012 at 10:31 am (#)

oh I got you on the pants, I was in a panic last week when I could not do up my pants, but they were from like 20 pounds ago so i got the right ones and well I prefer elastic pants, cannot beat those;p And home made marshmallows are the devil, seriously I hate store bought ones, but if I make them it;s like I cannot control myself!

18. Megan @ The Pink Flour posted on December 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm (#)

I’ve never made marshmallows before, but I may have to get a thermometer and try this recipe out. I mean how can I pass up something funfetti :)

19. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on December 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm (#)

Darling marshmallows!

Yeah, I have noticed that about fat pants. So then I have to make the choice… stuff myself into skinny jeans while I bake or wear sweats while I bake. The sweats usually win. December is certainly no time to diet.

20. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on December 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm (#)

I like your fat pants theory. It sure seems to be true over here as well. Good a reason as ever to keep squeezing into those skinny jeans!

Shauna’s book looks so incredible (actually, they both look amazing) and I think you’ve taken it up another notch with these.

21. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on December 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm (#)

Thank you so much for linking up at my linky party! I am pinning every post to my Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s Board for all to see! I hope you come back each week!

22. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on December 4, 2012 at 1:52 am (#)

Marshmallows and waaaay under-appreciated! They are so versatile and can adapt to so many different flavours – like the fabulous ones you’ve made! I’m totally loving your Christmas sprinkles, too :)

23. Pingback: Whatever Friday (Facebook Tips & Books I'm reading) | Crazy for Crust

24. Coleen @ TheRedheadBaker posted on December 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm (#)

Those marshmallows are so cute! I made peppermint ones a few weeks back, and boy do I hear on you about how much better they are than store-bought! I need to go check out your pumpkin pie marshmallows — sounds heavenly!

25. Pingback: 24 Christmas Holiday Ideas | TidyMom

26. TidyMom posted on December 9, 2012 at 7:16 am (#)

I have yet to make marshmallows………you are twisting my arm!!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/christmas-holiday-ideas/

Happy Holidays!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 9th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thanks Cheryl! They’re so much easier than I thought. :)

27. HungryLittleGirl posted on December 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm (#)

I have never made marshmallows myself. Looking at how beautiful yours look, I finally have to try it!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – Hope to see you there again next week with more deliciousness :)

28. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on December 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm (#)

I have always wanted to try to make my own marshmallows and never have. I love these! Pinning and featuring tonight :) Thank you so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout. Hope to see you back tonight!

29. Pingback: Your Creative Timeout Party {No.60} - Mom On Timeout

30. Pingback: Funfetti Sandwich Cookies with Marshmallow Cream | Crazy for Crust

31. Brenda Heyward posted on December 30, 2013 at 11:17 am (#)

LUV UR receipes! who needs a cook book? My nieces just luv funfetti..so bring on the marshmallows and funfetti bars!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 30th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I have SO many funfetti ideas. Get ready! :)