Dec 27

Clock Pie Pops for New Year’s Eve

It’s almost New Year’s Eve! Kind of crazy, right? That it’s going to be 2013? I swear 2012 JUST started. And now it’s over.

Blog-wise, 2012 was an amazing year for me. I feel like Crazy for Crust grew up a little. I still have a long way to go, and so many things to learn. But I think I’m finally getting comfortable in my blogging skin, you know? 2012 was the year I was able to say I now have a business…not just a hobby. Which is super exciting, even if the only people who believe me/know what I mean are my husband and other bloggers.

Anyway…after the month of cookies and truffles and sweets has come and gone. But you’re not dieting yet, right? You still need a fun dessert for New Year’s Eve? I know I do, something to nosh on before I fall asleep after watching the ball drop in NY.

{FYI, for those of you who don’t know…I’m in California. And, yes, I’ve become that old person who goes to bed at 9:30, even on New Year’s. Don’t judge – mama is NOT a fun person without her beauty rest. And Jordan doesn’t care if I’ve been up until midnight. 6am on the nose, no matter what!}

These pops are super fun, and SO easy to make! I have a Babycakes Pie Pop Maker that I used. It’s like that cake pop/doughnut pan/waffle stick maker thing that you’ve seen at the store. But you do not have to have one to make these pops. You can do them on a cookie sheet in your oven, like I did with these Gold Medals over the summer. (Although, you need to use different sticks if you’re baking – these white ones aren’t oven safe, I don’t think.)

Then just use an edible food pen to write on the clock. You can get those pens at craft stores, like Michaels. But, whatever you do, don’t let your kid borrow the pens. She’ll write on paper and ruin them. Not that I would know about that…

So do some counting down with your food. It’s fun! Maybe I should have made one that had it almost 9pm? Ha!

Clock Pie Pops for New Year’s Eve

• Refrigerated pie crusts (making 2” rounds gets you about 10 pops per crust)
  • Chocolate chips or other filling
  • Lollipop sticks (or an oven-safe equivalent)
  • White candy melts
  • Edible food writer (black)

1. Unroll pie crust and cut 2” circles using a small round cookie cutter and re-rolling dough as necessary.
  2. If using a Babycakes Pie Pop Maker: preheat the appliance. Lay one round in each cavity, place a lollipop stick in the center, add some chocolate chips or other desired filling, and top with a second crust. Close and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
  3. If using oven: preheat to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. If you want your clocks on sticks, you should be sure to use an oven-safe stick. (A popsicle/craft stick is oven safe. White lollipop sticks are not). Place crust rounds on prepared cookie sheet and place sticks and filling in the center of each. Top with a second crust and use a fork to seal the edges. Bake until browned (probably 8-10 minutes). Cool.
  4. Once pops are cooled, melt your candy melts according to package directions. Pour into a tall glass. (If it is cold in your house, try heating an electric griddle to it’s lowest setting and covering it with a kitchen towel. Place your bowl/glass of melted candy on the griddle so the melts will stay hot.)
  5. In one movement, dip the pops in the glass of melts. Tap of the excess (tap the hand holding the stick, not the stick itself). Place upright to harden. (You can use a bowl filled with beans or a foam block for this.)
  6. Once the pops are hardened, draw the face of the clock on with edible food writers.

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

48 Responses to “Clock Pie Pops for New Year’s Eve”

1. Ellen @Bake It With Booze posted on December 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#)

These are SO creative…I don’t know how you come up with all these great treats!! Glad to see you this week too, as I had thought you were taking this week ‘off”. Congratulations on the amazing success of your blog this year. I’ve learned so much from you…I hope 2013 bring much more blog success…Happy New Year, Dorothy!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Ellen! The wonder of scheduling posts! :) happy New Year!!

2. Tiffany posted on December 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm (#)

These are so freaking cute! And I am glad 2012 was a year of great growth for you. It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to look back and say, “I am farther today than I was a year ago.” Here’s to another great year — blogwise and life-wise!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Ditto Tiffany! Happy New Year!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on December 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm (#)

These are adorable Dorothy! Congrats on a great year, it was so fun getting to know you! Now next year we will finally meet :) Whoohoo!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Yay! I’m so excited! Thanks Aimee! Happy New Year!

4. Susan posted on December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm (#)

All I can say is…”Love Them!!” Happy New Year, dear friend, XOXO

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thank you, and to you too Susan!!

5. Heather @French Press posted on December 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm (#)

I am in LOVE with this idea! what a great addition to a New Years party – hope you had an excellent Christmas

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Heather! We did. I hope you did too!

6. Back For Seconds posted on December 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm (#)

These are awesome! And I love that you filled them with chocolate chips! I am making these as soon as I get my appetite back :)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Stephanie! And I hope that’s super soon!!!

7. Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik posted on December 28, 2012 at 5:34 am (#)

cu-te!! Happy (almost) 2013!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thank you, and to you too Sarah!

8. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on December 28, 2012 at 6:33 am (#)

Dorothy! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with the family. I loved seeing pictures of Jordan on Instagram :) She looks like she had a great Christmas with lots of fun presents. :) These cake pops are absolutely one of the most festive NYE treats I’ve ever seen!!!! How clever!! I’ve never seen anything like them. Happy 2013 my friend!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thank you Sally! I hope you had a good Christmas! Happy New Year to you!

9. Cindy Eikenberg posted on December 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm (#)

These are simply adorable! Plus it’s totally ok to get to sleep whenever you need some zzz’s! Congratulations on a successful year and I am happy to have found my way to your blog at before the year ended! Happy New Year to you and your family and hope 2013 is brings continued success and happiness! ~Cindy

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Cindy! Happy New Year to you and your family too!

10. Pingback: Clock Pie Pops for New Year's Eve | Crazy for Crust

11. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on December 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm (#)

Those are super cute. I love what your blog has become…one of my favorites to follow. :-)

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Aw, thanks Meg!! Happy New Year!

12. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on December 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm (#)

O.M.G. with the pie pop Cuteness!!! I love the clocks! So stinking Cute!!!!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Chandra! Happy New Year!

13. Jackie posted on December 28, 2012 at 10:41 pm (#)

sooo cute!

14. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on December 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm (#)

Those are so adorable!!! Such a fun treat for ringing in the new year! It has been so fun getting to know you this year…and I can’t wait to meet you at BlogHer this coming summer!!! It is going to be so much fun!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I know, I am SO excited to meet you!!!! 2013 is going to bring big things for us!

15. Pingback: Ring in the New Year with these 25 ideas!

16. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on December 29, 2012 at 11:14 am (#)

Hoooow cute are these!!!??? love em!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thank you Kayle! Happy New Year!

17. michelle posted on December 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm (#)

pies and clocks for new years, yep works for me! (ps mine are up at 6 am no matter if they go to bed at 1am! so with you there!) happy new year!!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Michelle! We may let her stay up until 9 tomorrow night….gasp!

18. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on December 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm (#)

These are so cute, in a way that clocks can be cute that is. :) I’m so happy for you and your blog and 9pm on New Years? Craziness. But I totally understand the sleep need. I can be the moodiest person alive if I haven’t slept enough!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Lisa!! :) Happy New Year!

19. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on December 30, 2012 at 2:39 am (#)

How sweet! And you have super steady hands to be able to make these pops so NEAT! I’m so impressed! Happy New Years to you, Dorothy!

20. Six Sisters posted on December 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm (#)

Your clock pie pops are so stinkin cute!!! Thanks for sharing them at our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! Have a Happy New Year! 9:30 sounds like a great bedtime to us! (at least the older sisters) We love your cute blog! -The Six Sisters

21. Maria posted on December 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm (#)

Awww these are ADORABLE!!!!! What a cute idea!!!! So fun for New Year’s! :o) Happy New Year to you!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 31st, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Maria! Happy New Year to you too!

22. Michelle | Creative Food posted on December 31, 2012 at 7:58 pm (#)

I love this idea!! Now *this* is something I can make! haha too bad its already almost midnight.. next year for sure! :)

23. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on January 1, 2013 at 10:22 am (#)

Have a Great New Year! Thanks for Linking up at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s!

24. Pingback: Clock Pie Pops for New Year’s Eve

25. Heather - Chickabug posted on July 15, 2013 at 9:15 am (#)

Cute cake pops! Simple, adorable idea and so well done! Thanks for sharing! : )

26. Pingback: Fun New Year's Eve Ideas - Love From The Oven

27. Pingback: 20+ New Year's Eve Ideas and Inspiration ~ Favors,Recipes,Printables