Oct 03

Eyeball Red Velvet Pudding Pie

These Eyeball Red Velvet Pudding Pies are perfect for your halloween party!

Red Velvet Eyeball Pies | crazyforcrust.com

When it comes to bedtime, my husband and I are like an old married couple. We head upstairs around 9:30, watch TV for a bit, and I’m usually asleep shortly after 10:00. This happens every single day. Even when we’re on vacation.

See? Old.

Seriously, the thought of staying up past 10:30 gives me the heebie-jeebies. This girl needs her sleep.

I’m one of those people who has to get 6-7 hours just to be able to function. I am NOT a nice person unless I get a full nights’ sleep. It’s always been that way, since I was a kid.

As you can probably imagine, having an infant was not a very good time for me. People talk about how you “forget” the pain of childbirth (Um. No you don’t.) or how you “just deal” with having no sleep because you have such a cute baby as a tradeoff.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I “just dealt” with having an infant who refused to sleep well until she was 6 months old by going totally hormonal and insane.

If someone ever needs to get me to spill my baking secrets, there’s no need for torture. Just sleep deprive me for one night and I will spill like a spy being waterboarded.

I give all of you East Coasters’ props, that’s for sure. Your sports events run until the wee hours of the morning. Linky parties start at 9:00pm or later and you still link up before I do.

I’ve been doing a lot of work with Ashton lately for Online BlogCon and she starts working about the time I am ready to turn off my computer and she is three hours ahead of me.

I really don’t know how y’all do it.

What does sleep have to do with Halloween Week and eyeballs?

Pretty much everything…because this is how my eyes look if I don’t get my beauty rest.

I had to do a pie for Halloween Week. How could I not?

I like eyeballs at Halloween. I don’t know why. They’re gross. But also…cute? Anyway, these eyeball pies are not just Cool Whip and Lifesavers.

Think for a second if you cut open an eyeball. One that was still attached, like in a gory movie or something.

{Now I’m going to lose sleep because I’m going to have nightmares. Thanks self.}

If you cut open an eyeball, I imagine it would be bloody.

Kind of like cutting a Red Velvet Pudding Pie.

Super gross…and perfect for Halloween.

Eyeball Red Velvet Pudding Pie

Ingredients:

• 1 pie crust (from a box, or your favorite recipe)
  • 1 small box cheesecake instant pudding
  • 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup red velvet cake mix
  • 10 drops red food coloring, optional
  • Cool Whip (about 3/4 tub)
  • Lifesavers candies (gummy or hard)
  • Red gel decorator icing (from the baking aisle)
  • Black gel decorator icing, or mini chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Unroll the pie crust and cut out circles of dough. I used a wide mouth jar lid to cut my circles. I got 6, but you can get 8 if you re-roll the dough. Press into a muffin tin that has been lined with paper liners. Poke holes around the crust with the tines of a fork to reduce bubbling (or you can use pie weights if you have them). Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes.
  2. Cool completely before filling.
  3. Whisk together the pudding and milk. Quickly sift in the cake mix (Yes, sift it. It’s lumpy otherwise.) Whisk to combine (you can use a hand mixer if you still have lumps). Add red food coloring if your “blood” isn’t “bloody” enough.
  4. Fill each pie shell with about 2-3 tablespoons of the red velvet pudding. Using a medium cookie scoop, place mounds of cool whip on top of the pudding. Use an knife to smooth the topping.
  5. Place a Lifesaver in the center of the topping, pressing down slightly. Place a small dab of the black decorator gel in the center to make the pupil. Use the red decorator gel to pipe red squiggles on the white parts of the “eyes” to simulate bloodshot eyes.
  6. Store in refrigerator.

45 Responses to “Eyeball Red Velvet Pudding Pie”

1. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on October 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm (#)

Aaaaaaaaaaahh. These are so cool and so gross at the same time. All bloody and cheesecake-y, and bloody. And I’m the same way–if I don’t get a full 7 hours or more, I’m a total witch with a capital-B. I don’t know how people (read: anyone else but you and I) can do the 4 hours or less thing. I’d be literally dying.

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I know, I can’t imagine! Thanks for Halloweening with me this week!

2. Kristin posted on October 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm (#)

These look ooey, gooey and AMAZING!
    I require at least 8 hours. 10 preferably. For real, I will not ever deal well with an infant. My husband functions best on 5 hours. No more, no less.
    At least you and your hubby are an even match!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Well, he only sleeps like 5. But he could use more! It works out good we go to sleep at the same time! :)

3. Lara posted on October 4, 2012 at 4:38 am (#)

Ewwww!! Awesome……..those will = 5 happy boys in my house!!

4. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on October 4, 2012 at 6:45 am (#)

I used to be Central time zone and it was perfect. 10pm was the end of all prime time shows. Then I moved to Ohio and now have EST. 10pm is when some of my favorite shows START. And this old girl needs her sleep too :) Those late night link parties are tough.
    Your pies look awesome!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thank goodness for the DVR!! :) It’s become my savior.

5. Gina posted on October 4, 2012 at 7:37 am (#)

Eeek- my kids would love these.

6. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 am (#)

Wonderful!! Love them. Halloween is all about being GROSS!

7. Angi - AKM designs & delights posted on October 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm (#)

Girl…I have to have like EIGHT full hours of sleep or I DO. NOT. FUNCTION! I barely remember the 1st 6 months of my kids life….I was in a hormonal, sleep-deprived, Dr. Jekyl stage. I’m surprised my kids love me at all since I was such a basket case back then. :)

Oh well, I’ll make them some “eyeballs” to make up for it. TOO CUTE!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I am the SAME way. First word? First smile? NO CLUE. :)

8. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on October 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm (#)

I know how you feel. I get up at 5:30 to be to work by 6:30 and so most nights I could TOTALLY be asleep by 8:00. Okay, okay, most nights I AM asleep by 8:00. Those eyeballs up there? Kind of look like my eyes when my coworkers see me before my coffee. Hee, they are so cute! I need to make some stuff like this for Doodle’s class party.

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Totally before coffee. Totally!

9. Back For Seconds posted on October 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm (#)

These are totally disgusting! And so creative. And i love them :)
    I am lucky to get a few hours of sleep each night. My twins are lousy sleepers. Oh well, more cuddle time ;)

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

LOL! Thanks. Twins. Man, I cannot even imagine! You’re a saint.

10. trish posted on October 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm (#)

quite possibly the coolest idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dorothy do you ever sit back and say to your self…I am awesome, cuz you are buddy!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 4th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Trish! :) You’re sweet!

11. Beth @ Hungry Happenings posted on October 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm (#)

Oh, I can totally relate to your sleep habits. I’ve been the same since childhood too. Love the eyes and especially the red insides. Pinning it! Be sure to stop by Hungry Happenings and add it to my first ever link party, you might just win $70 in food decorating supplies just for adding your pictures. http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2012/10/share-your-fun-halloween-edible-crafts.html

12. Heather @French Press posted on October 4, 2012 at 9:02 pm (#)

I don’t know how it’s possible – but you make this look delicious and disgusting at the same time:)

13. Ashton @ Something Swanky posted on October 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm (#)

Ohhhh yuck!! Eyeballs TOTALLY make me squeamish!! lol. But I’m on board with red velvet pudding pie :) LOVE the new look BTW :) LOVE.

And don’t ask me what’s wrong with my blogging/sleeping habits. Maybe once Emma is in school all day, I’ll start working during decent daylight hours! *sigh*

• crazyforcrust replied on October 5th, 2012 at 6:36 am

Thanks for the red velvet recipe! It was goooooood. And thanks, I’m glad it looks okay. I really like it, but always second guess myself. :)

And yes, school is a godsend, for sure!!!

14. Pingback: The Friday Roundup & Halloween Week Party! | The Domestic Rebel

15. Silverleaf posted on October 5, 2012 at 7:14 am (#)

These look amazing and disgusting! Love it!

Just FYI, eyeballs are actually BLACK inside. But whoever heard of black velvet desserts? Real eyes must have it wrong… ;)

16. Jill posted on October 6, 2012 at 1:03 am (#)

These are so much fun! My kids will think these are fantastic can’t wait to make it for them,

17. Chloe posted on October 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm (#)

These are adorable! Definitely what you think of when you think of cutting open eyes…if that’s something you think about…haha I definitely want to make some of these for my Halloween party!
    I don’t think going to sleep at 10 makes you old! (Trust me, I’m 20 and most of my friends go to sleep around that time!) I wish I went to sleep earlier. In fact, it’s after 1am right now and my boyfriend and I are still up. I love my sleep too, though, which means that since we go to sleep late, I hate waking up before noon. When my little one comes in January, I am going to be one cranky, sleep-deprived camper!!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 9th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hopefully you can train him to be a late sleeper!!! :) And thank you!

18. Melissa Vanni posted on October 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm (#)

Love this!!

19. Michelle posted on October 10, 2012 at 9:11 am (#)

Dorothy,
    These are perfect for Halloween! I love the ooey gooey insides. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

20. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on October 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm (#)

These are just too cool {and a wee bit gross!} – perfect for Halloween! Totally awesome as usual Dorothy! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout! Hope to see you back tonight!

-Trish

• crazyforcrust replied on October 10th, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Totally you will! :) Thanks so much!

21. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on October 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm (#)

I’m dying thinking about kids biting into these at a class Halloween party. How perfectly creepy!

• crazyforcrust replied on October 11th, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I know, huh? Then the kids eyes would look like that and the teacher would go crazy. :)

22. Pingback: Eyeball Red Velvet Pudding Pie | Crazy for Crust

23. Pingback: The ULTIMATE Halloween Spooktacular Roundup!! | The Domestic Rebel

24. Pingback: 30 Sweet Halloween Treats - Something Swanky