Sep 16

Triple Mocha Donuts

triple mocha donuts | crazyforcrust.com

I love coffee. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I need coffee. I am not human, awake, or kind in the morning until I’ve had my first sip. It’s so bad, really, that I get my coffeepot set up the night before, so that all I have to do in the morning is press the on switch.

When Jordan was a baby I was obsessed with Gilmore Girls. I so wanted to be Lorelai, all cool and beautiful, always with a cup of coffee in one hand. I, sadly, am not Lorelai Gilmore. I just aspire to be her.

My favorite part of the day is about 9am. I’ve dropped Jordan at school, worked out, and come home to a quiet house and a second cup of coffee. I can check my email, do some writing, and read blogs uninterrupted and without guilt.

Usually during this time I get hungry too, having just worked out and all.

I know, I should reach for an apple. Or a banana. But what I really want is granola. Or a muffin. Or a donut.

Donuts make me almost as happy as coffee makes me.

Almost.

When Marley Coffee contacted me about testing their organic, gourmet coffee, there was no way I was saying no. I waited (impatiently) for my box to arrive and resisted making a pot at 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

Marley Coffee is an international gourmet coffee company that prides itself on respecting the envoronment. It produces ethical, fair-trade, and organic coffee from farms in Jamaica. And yes, it’s that Marley – the company was started by Bob Marley’s son.

I got to try two flavors: Lively It Up, a medium dark espresso roast and Buffalo Soldier, a dark roast. I like my coffee extra dark with a side of very strong, so these brews were perfect for me. They were delicious – rich, dark, and the perfect morning jolt.

I wanted to bake with the coffee too (duh, what else would I do?) Of course my mind wandered to donuts. I mean, coffee and donuts go together like milk and cookies. Or Lorelai and Rory.

There is coffee in the chocolate donut, giving it a rich chocolate flavor. The donuts are glazed with a chocolate coffee glaze, and then frosted with a coffee icing. These are definitely the jolt you need to get you through your day.

Now, if only I could actually go to Stars Hollow and share these with Lorelai. Because she’s totally a real person and not a fictional TV character from a show that’s already ended.

At least that’s what I like to tell myself anyway.

Triple Mocha Donuts

Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets. Glaze recipe adapted from Alton Brown.

For the Donuts:
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • For the Coffee Frosting:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
  • Chocolate sprinkles, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 6-cavity donut pan with cooking spray.
  2. To make the donuts, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in milk, coffee, egg, vanilla, and oil. Stir until just combined. Place batter in a large ziploc bag with the tip cut off. Pipe into donut pan, filling each cavity 3/4 full. (You can probably get 7 donuts, but I was lazy and didn’t want to reuse my pan, so I only made 6.)
  3. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool for five minutes, and then remove from pan.
  4. While donuts are cooling, make the glaze. Mix the milk, coffee, vanilla, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on low and stir until the ingredients are all combined. Turn off heat. Carefully dip the tops of each donut in the glaze. Place on a wire rack that is on top of a cookie sheet to catch the drips. Let sit for about a minute. Stir the glaze in the pan, reheating if necessary. Re-dip the donuts, on the bottom this time, and dipping around the edges so the donut is entirely covered. You may want to use a fork in the center of the donut for this step so you don’t burn your fingers! Let sit on the wire rack until cooled.
  5. Make the coffee frosting by mixing the butter, powdered sugar, and brewed coffee with a hand-held mixer on low speed until thick and creamy. Once glaze is somewhat dry (it will remain a little sticky) frost the donuts and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Serve with a cup of coffee for a real jolt!

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

Marley coffee sent me two bags of coffee to try, drink, and review. All opinions are my own. You can read more about Marley Coffee products, their commitment to the environment and charitable causes, and order online on their website. If you’re in California, you’re in luck! Marley Coffee can be found in California at Andronico’s, Mollie Stone’s, Rainbow Grocer and in SoCal at Gelson’s and Fresh & Easy Markets.

92 Responses to “Triple Mocha Donuts”

1. keri @ shaken together posted on September 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm (#)

One – these donuts look ridiculously delicious!! Two – I LOVE the Gilmore Girls!! One of my favorite shows EVER. I swear, if I could bake like you, I would think we were separated at birth, ha ha!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

LOL! I swear, I still think about that show and watch the reruns constantly. And I always, always will Luke to tell Lorelai about his daughter…and he never does. ;)

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm (#)

Chocolate & coffee and donuts and COFFEE FROSTING…one element just gets better than the next. Delish!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Averie! :)

3. Karen @ BakingInATornado posted on September 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm (#)

Thanks a lot, now I have to go pull everything out of my purse, find my darn shopping list and add a donut pan, or two!

4. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on September 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm (#)

I love all things coffee. I love all thing donuts. Therefore I love coffee donuts. The end.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Ha, I’m with you Aimee!

5. Pamela posted on September 16, 2012 at 5:59 pm (#)

Oh Dorothy you made my day, love these donuts, and I am going to make these! They look YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I hope you love them Pamela! Unfortunately, I loved them too much… ;)

6. Heather posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm (#)

Doughnuts are one of my weaknesses – coffee another:) together = amazing!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Mine too. Both. Thanks Heather!

7. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:04 pm (#)

coffee glazed donuts were my favorite from the bakery!!!! OMG Dorothy I am so excited about these! I never had coffee frosting on a CHOCOLATE donut before :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 16th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Sally! It means a lot coming from you – I worship the desserts you stand on. :)

8. Michelle posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm (#)

That coffee and your donuts sound omgawesome (my new fav word). I always add coffee to my chocolate cupcakes. Gives it a deeper flav! Have a great week!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am

I may have to steal your new word. :) Thanks Michelle! You’re omgawesome!

9. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm (#)

I absolutely love the flavor that coffee adds to chocolate baked goods. And I am loving that you glazed the donuts and then put frosting on top of that…best.idea.ever!!!! I have never heard of this coffee before, so I will have to check them out:-)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am

LOL, thanks Jocelyn! :) Extra sugar is gooooood.

10. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm (#)

Wow! Yum! Those look so good. I love to bake chocolate cake with coffee. It really enhances the chocolate flavor. Love it!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am

I know, totally Karyn! So good! :)

11. Abby posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm (#)

hi, let’s be friends and eat these donuts! chocolate and coffee, sounds like a perfect morning to me.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:11 am

Sounds good to me!! :)

12. Ala posted on September 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm (#)

If I wasn’t a coffee addict before this, I know who I’ll have to thank for it after I try my hand at these! I might have to try these as an intervention tool for my coffee addict friends; I don’t have a coffee pan (boo-hoo), but do you think these would bake [almost] as well in a muffin tin? Thanks for sharing!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:10 am

For sure! You might just have to play with the baking time though, since a muffin is different size than the donut. Enjoy!

13. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm (#)

OMG. I totally need these. I’m a super dark, super strong coffee drinker, and putting it in frosting? On a donut? Yeah, you just made my day. =)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:09 am

LOL, thanks Ashley!

14. Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm (#)

The donuts are simply gorgeous, dah-ling! Can you believe I don’t drink coffee? Can we still be bloggy friends??? :-)
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:09 am

Of course, because now I worship the ground you walk on. You can get up in the morning and just…be? I’m jealous. :)

• Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground replied on September 17th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Yes … powered by water, baby! Oh, and wine. Lots of wine. But generally not in the morning. :-)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Hee hee! I’m powered by wine too, in the evening. :)

15. Susan posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:26 pm (#)

I’m not a coffee fan (can you believe it) even though I live in Seattle!! But doughnuts are my weakness and these look fabulous–I bet they taste great! XOXO

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:09 am

Totally, and the only really coffee-ee part is the frosting. The coffee just makes the chocolate pop in the donut and glaze!

16. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm (#)

Coffee frosting… that was the highlight of these, methinks. Well, no, the donut was AMAZING, too. You know what? I enjoyed the whole thing–thoroughly. And that’s coming from a novice coffee drinker who can only muster the all sugar & milk and no actual coffee-kinda coffee drinking :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks Sweetie!

17. Kaylee @ Couponing & Cooking posted on September 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm (#)

Oh wow! Those look so fudgy and delicious. And they are donuts.

Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for hosting Kaylee!

18. Christina posted on September 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm (#)

You are my hero and favorite blogger because of your love of Gilmore Girls :D I refuse to accept that the show is over by rewatching all of the seasons obsessively and repeatedly on DVD, it makes the pain of no more Gilmore Girls more bearable. Oh, and those donuts look delish, definitely Lorelei approved :D

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Me too! :) Thanks Christina!

19. Ambreen posted on September 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm (#)

Ah, just looking at these pictures make me drool. Perfect with a cup of coffee!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Thank you!

20. Joan@Chocolate and More posted on September 17, 2012 at 4:17 am (#)

Dorothy, I hope you saved one of these for me! I love the glaze snuck in before the frosting, oh yes! I have to say, I’m worse than you on my morning coffee. I won’t even get out of bed unless someone brings me coffee first. Yes, I’m spoiled but I do bake them yummy things, lol.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Hey, it’s tit for tat. They bring you coffee…you make them sugar. Win-win! :)

21. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on September 17, 2012 at 5:27 am (#)

well they sound awesome, I will never be a hot coffee drinker, but ice it up or put it in a donut and I am there!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:06 am

Thanks Sue!

22. Back For Seconds posted on September 17, 2012 at 6:36 am (#)

Excuse me. Did you say these are glazed AND frosted? I knew I loved you.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:06 am

:) I heart you too!

23. Ellen posted on September 17, 2012 at 9:06 am (#)

Yeah, you did it! Coffee helps bring out the chocolate, yay!!! I love coffee, love love love it. No morning is complete without it. :) And these donuts! Wow. I could use a few of these this Monday morning. When I woke up at 5am, I thought it was Thursday…And, my thoughts were of “didn’t I just do this?” But, then I remembered that I did laundry all day yesterday, my Sunday chore. I wasn’t too happy that I had a whole week ahead…

I really, really need to get one of those pans. Yes? Sooner rather than laters, yes?

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh, man, that’s hard. I hate when I feel like it should be the end of the week…but it isn’t. And yes, get one of those pans!!!

24. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on September 17, 2012 at 11:09 am (#)

What a perfect pairing for my morning coffee! I love that coffee is infused into all parts of these donuts!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Jessica!

25. Angi posted on September 17, 2012 at 11:56 am (#)

You’re as bad as I am in the morning…in fact the ONLY thing that gets me out of bed is hearing my husband utter these four little words…”your coffee is ready”. Cuz if it aint ready…my eyes don’t open!

These donuts look amazing! I will totally be making them.

Hugs!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

LOL, for sure. Of course, my husband doesn’t even know how to turn the machine on. LOL! Thanks Angi!

26. Vanessa posted on September 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm (#)

haha, I’m like you, I’m not human until I’ve had at least one cup of coffee. Those donuts looks delicious. I just bought a donut pan so I can’t wait to add this to my mile long ‘recipes to try’ list.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Yay! Thanks so much! :)

27. Brittany D. posted on September 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm (#)

Ok, this post is awesome. A) I love doughnuts too. Absolutely crazy about them and don’t understand those who aren’t. B) Coffee is a life-saver. and C) YES! Gilmore Girls! LOVE IT! I miss that show. I used to be a daily watcher until well, life got in the way. Not sure how much it’s on anymore though. Sad. But life goes on and these doughnuts will surely help get through anything.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It’s one every day! LOL. ABC Family has you covered. :) Thanks so much!

28. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos posted on September 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm (#)

I LOVE COFFEE so I’ll take all the coffee I can get – this looks like an incredible donut!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Becca!

29. Baking Serendipity posted on September 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm (#)

This is my kind of breakfast. I love Gilmore still too. I watched it like crazy in college and it brings back some of the best memories of dorm life and friends :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

It seems the Gilmores were a popular crew! :) Thanks so much!

30. Meg @ Sweet Twist posted on September 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm (#)

I am not a coffee drinker but I love coffee desserts so I have no doubt I would love these!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 17th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

And if you leave off the coffee frosting, it’s not totally coffee-ey. So perfect! :) Thanks so much!

31. Kristin posted on September 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm (#)

If anyone knows about having pipe dreams of meeting fictional characters, it’s me.
    I’m crazy jealous of your morning routine. CRAZY JEALOUS. That’s what I did all summer. And it was lovely.
    I need to use my donut pan. Once in 9 months has not been enough.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Yes you need to use it. And I have another pipe dream to meet Laura Ingalls Wilder…

32. Karly posted on September 18, 2012 at 4:44 am (#)

I, sadly, can only drink the overly sweetened girly versions of coffee that cost $4 a piece. However, I watch Pretty Little Liars (don’t judge me) and their constant coffee drinking always makes me want a cup.

I could totally get down with these donuts though. They are GORGEOUS.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I so totally need to watch that show. It’s on my list. :) And thank you – coming from you that is a HUGE compliment!!!

• Karly replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Do it! Such a great show, even if I am way too old for it!

You’re sweet. :)

33. Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box posted on September 18, 2012 at 4:48 am (#)

Coffee and breakfast packed into one delicious-looking donut? I’m in! Pinning :)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Thanks Nicky!

34. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on September 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm (#)

I bought a donut pan just because of you, back when you made your reese’s donuts. I still haven’t used it but I keep promising the kids I’m going to make Halloween donuts for them soon.

I pretty much wanted to be Lorelai too! Can’t even imagine all the funny things I’d say if I could talk as fast as her…

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Once you start, you won’t be able to stop! :)

35. Me And My Sweets posted on September 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm (#)

That combo is a winner!!! I never made donuts before but it’s sure on my To DO list from now on:-)

• crazyforcrust replied on September 18th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I hope you enjoy! Thank you!

36. Pingback: Coffee donut | Besttwinksmpeg

37. sara posted on September 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm (#)

These look SO good, pinning to my donut board immediately!!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 19th, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thank you! :)

38. tanya posted on September 20, 2012 at 4:17 am (#)

Mocha anything is delicious, double mocha anything is amazing, TRIPLE mocha anything is phenomenal!!! Holy cow, I’m dusting off my donut pan today!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 20th, 2012 at 7:32 am

Thanks Tanya! I hope you enjoy. :)

39. Karri Reiser posted on September 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm (#)

Oh my goodness, don’t wake me from this dream. Coffee donuts!!!! Thank you for posting this yummy recipe. I host a weekly link party and would love to have you join in. The link is: http://mylifesatreasure.blogspot.com/2012/09/our-favorite-things-link-party-15.html
    Have a great day!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 21st, 2012 at 2:00 pm

LOL! Thanks. :)

40. Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) posted on September 23, 2012 at 8:16 am (#)

Because of this recipe, I now have 202 Pinterest boards. LOL Thank you for linking up at Weekend Potluck. Cannot wait to try these!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 23rd, 2012 at 3:58 pm

LOL! That’s too funny. Thanks for hosting!

41. Trish @ Mom On Timeout posted on September 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm (#)

My sister keeps telling me I need to take up coffee drinking but I would really prefer one of your donuts :) Maybe you can drop one of these babies off one morning…you can drink coffee and I can just EAT!

• crazyforcrust replied on September 26th, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Sounds good to me!!! :)

42. Pingback: Triple Mocha Donuts | Crazy for Crust

43. Marlo posted on December 28, 2012 at 9:13 am (#)

I actually made these and they were easy and turned out perfect. Drives me up the wall when all the comments are just “yummy” and “I want to make these”. I stuck to the recipe except I have a mini doughnut pan so I only baked for 7 minutes and the batter yielded 2 dozen. They taste AMAZING! I asked for a doughnut pan for Christmas just to make these.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 30th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Oh, I’m so glad they turned out good!! Now that you’ve reminded me of them, I want more! :) Happy New Year!

44. Pingback: Salted Caramel Chocolate Latte & Peppermint Hot Chocolate {Mr. Coffee Latte} - Crazy for Crust

45. Pingback: 20 Delightful Donut Recipes! | The Domestic Rebel

46. Pingback: Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts {gourdoughs copycat} - Crazy for Crust

47. Stephanie posted on November 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm (#)

These look SO good!!! Now I am going to be craving donuts!

48. Pingback: Cakemania, dolci e cake design – Il migliore blog di ricette della settimana: Crazy for Crust

49. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts - Crazy for Crust