get new recipes in your email box:

Jun 19

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes

These Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcakes are PERFECT for any occasion! Birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, the 4th of July – if you’re craving red velvet you NEED these in your life.

I mean – homemade red velvet cake, filled with cheesecake, topped with cream cheese frosting? It doesn’t get any better!

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcakes - these easy cupcakes are completely from scratch. Red Velvet Cake filled with cheesecake and topped with cream cheese frosting - an amazing cupcake recipe!

The Fourth of July is coming up soon, which means it’s summer, which means it’s travel season.

I love to travel. I love to stay in hotels. And I’ve totally passed on that love to Jordan.

We don’t camp. Well, Jordan and Mel probably would. To be more specific, I don’t camp. That’s really a whole post all on it’s own, but the gist of it is, if I’m on vacay, I don’t want to work to set up my room. I don’t want to cook. I don’t want to be dirty. I want to sleep on a comfy bed.

So we stay in hotels.

Another problem I have? I like to be comfortable. And comfortable, to me, is not shoving the three of us into one room. Where’s the fun in that? I want to put Jordan to bed and go sit in a different place, drink wine, and watch TV alone with my husband.  So we like to stay in suite hotels, whenever possible. I’ve become a genius at reading room descriptions. {“Suite” does not necessarily mean separate bedroom.}

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes - an easy red velvet cupcake recipe, filled with cream cheese, and topped with cream cheese frosting!
I have damaged my child so much that, when we moved from a two bedroom suite at one hotel to a resort with a one bedroom suite in Phoenix, she cried because the “sofa bed wouldn’t be comfortable enough.”

Yes. I know that her future husband is going to have to be a special kind of person.

Anyway, it’s hard to find the perfect hotel room this time of year. So I’ve put together a list of things I would put in the hotel I would build if I won the lotto. Is that weird?

*Every room would be a suite, one or two bedroom, with the bathroom in between the living area and sleeping area. Not in the living area, causing the middle of the night tippy-toe dance around the sleeping child to deal with mommy bladder.

*Only real hair dryers would be supplied. With diffusers. Can I get an amen?

*Kids would eat free. All day. And everyone gets free breakfast. {And no, granola bars and stale pastry do not qualify as “breakfast.”}

*There would be a water slide at the pool.

*And free drinks with umbrellas.

*And free massages.

*And free childcare.

Wait a minute…this list is beginning to sound like I want to be travelling without my kid.

Oh, wait, I forgot one.

*Free cupcakes at turn down service. Because those little tiny chocolates really don’t cut it, do they?

These cupcakes would.

Red Velvet. Cheesecake. Cream Cheese Frosting.

All in one bite.

Perfect after a day playing at the pool, don’tcha think?

A few notes about the recipe:

• The cake recipe is SUPER easy to make from scratch. If you really want to use a box mix, you can, but you’ll need to double the filling and frosting recipe.
  • There is JUST enough cheesecake for all 24 cupcakes. Same goes with the frosting.
  • If you want an even richer red color, add another 1 tablespoon red food coloring.
  • Try to keep the cream cheese mixture in the center of the cupcake when you spread it around. The ones that had the cream cheese touching the liner were a little deformed. They’re not gorgeous cupcakes, but once you frost them it doesn’t matter. Also – they’re so good no one will notice.
  • They freeze well, unfrosted!

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cupcakes

Total Time: 1 hour

These Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes are perfect for any event, holiday, or party. Homemade red velvet cupcakes are filled with cheesecake and topped with cream cheese frosting. They're so good and you can't eat just one!

• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 teaspoon vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans with liners.
  2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add eggs, oil, buttermilk, white vinegar, and vanilla to a large measuring cup or extra bowl and whisk until combined. Add to dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Add red food coloring and mix slowly until combined.
  3. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner (about 1/2 full).
  4. Make the cheesecake: Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream with a hand mixer until smooth.  Drop about 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheesecake mixture on top of each cupcake. Smooth it around with the back of a spoon (try to keep it from touching the edges, the cupcakes stay prettier that way).
  5. Bake about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the cake part comes out clean. The cream cheese filling will be the teeniest bit jiggly still. Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least 2 hours before frosting. (Note: the cupcakes can be frozen once cooled and frosted at a later date.)
  6. Make the frosting: Using a hand or a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
  7. Frost the top of each cupcake with a bit of frosting. For a decorative effect, use a 1M tip with a pastry bag. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars (13 of 13)w

Red Velvet Blondies

Red Velvet Blondies (6 of 11)w

Red Velvet Hugs Blossom Cookies

Red Velvet Hugs Blossom Cookies (1 of 5)w

101 comments on “Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes

1. Totally NOT crazy! I’ve had that *lottery hotel dream* as well

And those cupcakes would make a FABULOUS bedtime snack!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 19th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yes, they most certainly would. Thanks for visiting!

• Lynn Murphy replied on July 2nd, 2014 at 11:04 am

Are these yummy looking cupcakes mini or full size?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2014 at 4:18 pm

They are full size!

2. That frosting is so pretty! Love the swirl effect. And woah. Cheesecake AND cream cheese frosting? HEAVEN!

3. mmmmm! *drooling* you know I actually never had red velvet before I went gluten free? I can only imagine what “the real thing” tastes like!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 19th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Now I want to try the gluten free one, I wonder if there is a difference? 🙂

4. Totally loving this frosting. And I don’t blame you for having an extensive hotel musts list. I mean, I haaaaate being woken up by people using the bathroom at two AM so I know how you feel. Plus, water slides and umbrella-laden drinks are obviously a must-have. And cheesecake cupcakes greeting you on the pillow when you get back. Sigh, let’s go into business 🙂

5. We seriously need to figure out a way to be able to send cupcakes through the mail. I want one right now. I shared on my facebook page. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

6. You get a BIG Amen from me on “Free!” And, those red velvet cupcakes are a must at turn down. Although, I’m the opposite and don’t like staying in hotels. I miss getting up and baking–LOL!

7. Count me in to stay at your hotel. Oh wait… that’s what I call Going to Grandma’s! Can’t wait to go on vacation in July! BTW – Wanna hear all about Sedona. I know it’s changed over the past few years. I hope not too much…

8. Free umbrella drinks and massages? You can book me a room! Loving these festive cupcakes!

9. As much as I love to camp, I do love staying in a nice hotel too. Two weekends ago I took my oldest daughter to a swim meet and we stayed in a hotel, just the two of us, with two seperate beds…ahhhhh, THAT was a vacation 🙂

10. LOL I so hate traveling, unless I know it will be a nice hotel, I want to enjoy it. And if you win, we can open a hotel together and make yummy treats like these, and they would get those instead of mints on the pillows.

11. I like hotels more and more and camping less and less – lol. Those cupcakes look fabulous!

12. Youza! These look soooo goooood!!! I would ascribed to the suite concept if I had kids. No question. 🙂 And, I have a trick to do the photography on the piping bag shot. Next time I see ya, mmkay. Have a wonderful ~early~ summer!!!!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 21st, 2012 at 7:07 am

Oooh, you must share. Usually I’m just rushingtogetitalldone by the time the frosting comes along and I have no patience!

13. Shut-the-front-door these look gooooood! I am with you on the diffusers. And massages. And childcare.

14. They cupcakes are gorgeous Dorothy! Cupcake on the bottom, cheesecake on the top, frosting, sprinkles, red velvet…. so many amazing tastes and textures all in one bite!

Real hairdryers…… AMEN!

15. HAHA! I love this post! I have given up on doing fun hotel travel with children. It’s too costly with 4 kids, cause I would end up getting at least 3 rooms. I love those cupcakes, so incredibly cute! I need to try that blue frosting swirl, how fun!

16. I’m going to start keeping a tally of who refuses to go camping. This will be my evidence. Good lord, I hate camping. I think this should include staying in cabins too, because cabins have bugs. I’m so glad to know that I’m not the only one! I might have to try this, as Scott will be home for the 4th this year and he does need me to feed him some sugar…

17. Seriously. What is with the one chocolate.

I have been known to knick some off the little cart if left in the hallway unattended.

I never feel guilty.

One chocolate is highway robbery I tell you.

Love your cupcakes, as always. Swirled frosting is so cute!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 21st, 2012 at 7:06 am

I know, and a tiny one to boot. Like, half a bite tiny. Cheap!! Thanks as always!

18. This is great! I hate camping too. We are on vacation now and the condo is old but nice. My daughter has already commented on how sub-par she thinks it is. I’ve also ruined daughter. I’m apologizing in advance to her future husband. (she’s 8 but with specific taste)! I love these cupcakes. I love the swirled frosting, I haven’t tried that.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 21st, 2012 at 7:05 am

LOL! At least I’m not alone. Specific taste? We should get our kids together, they are two peas in a pod. 🙂 Thanks so much Tanya!

19. Yeah, I’m with you on the no-camping thing. And hotels with REAL hairdryers (my hair totally requires one!). These cheesecakes look amazing! I’m loving the swirled frosting–so perfect for the 4th!

20. Amen to no camping and staying in Dorothy’s hotel!!! Seriously…one chocolate per person on the pillows? Who does that to someone? It’s torture I tell you!!! What a super fun cupcake/cheesecake for the 4th! I totally forgot about red velvet:-) Maybe try putting the frosting bag in a glass to photograph it? I don’t know…it just popped into my head! Hope it works!

21. I enjoyed reading your post :):)
    Although It was quite hard while seeing these amazing-delicious looking cupcakes.
    I just love their look – AWEWOME

22. Wow, these turned out great. I hope you will link these up to my Patriotic Project Parade if you haven’t already!

23. looks lovely and delicious…mouthwatering!

24. This looks amazing. Would love it if you link it to Piquant Potluck!

25. Dorothy,
    Amen to the hair dryers and diffusers! I think all hotel rooms should have at least two bathrooms too.
    These cupcakes are going to be made at my house next week for the 4th for sure! They look delish! And so very patriotic 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

26. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

27. So pretty! I love the frosting!

28. Yes ma’am! I’ll take a dozen please! Featuring you tonight! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

29. Those look absolutely delish!!! I Must try 🙂

30. What yummy looking cupcakes. Love your dreams of the perfect hotel – you are so funny! Thanks for sharing another terrific dish and congrats for being featured at Mix it up Monday!!!

31. Is the cream cheese measurement correct? 2 pounds–that means 4 (8 oz.)packages. Just checking. I can’t wait to try these cupcakes; they look so–o-o-o good! Thanks!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 29th, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ohmigosh! Thank you for catching that!! It should read 2 PACKS, not pounds! I’ve edited the recipe accordingly. THANKS!!

32. Dorothy these look amazing! I am happy to let you know that you are being featured this week over at Addicted to Recipes. Come on over and grab your button!

PS – I am so a hotel girl too! And my hubby is to, he’s a total city boy. BUT we are saving up to buy an RV, it’ll be good for the kids to “camp” 😉

33. You seriously! This right here –>*Only real hair dryers would be supplied. With diffusers. Can I get an amen? – AMEN! I dont want a 25 watt hairdryer when Im paying to stay somewhere. Jeez.

Oh.. and of course your cupcakes make me want to lick my screen. Dont judge me. 🙂

Ps.. Im featuring these and your Nutella Cookie Dough in a fourth of July roundup!

34. These look awesome! I’m doing a baby shower brunch and she says she LOVES red velvet cake. I think these would be great and faster than the cake pops or red velvet cheesecake layer cake I had in mind.
    I’m trying to picture how to put the food coloring in. I am assuming you drip it down the sides BEFORE you add the frosting to the pipe bag, right? And then you add more coloring when you refill.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 8th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Yes, drip the coloring down the sides, then add the frosting carefully. Enjoy!

35. Pingback: Well I’m Back… (I think) « A Cupcake and A Camera

36. Hi there!

Those cupcakes look delicious! How many does it make?

• crazyforcrust replied on October 7th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I believe it made about 30. 🙂

37. Hi, just made these and they’re in the oven! Is it supposed to be 2 OUNCES of red food coloring (that would be 2 shot glasses full)?

38. Pingback: Red Velvet Cheesecake 4th of July Cupcakes

39. Very creative idea to use red velvet as the crust for cheese cake.I’ve featured this recipe on my blog, hoping that you don’t mind, but if you do, please contact me and I’ll remove it. All the best.

40. Pingback: Valentine's Day Ideas - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

41. Two questions… 1.) What kind of vinegar? 2.) One CUP of oil? Am I really reading that right?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 10th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I use white wine vinegar pretty standard. I’m not sure if that’s the official vinegar of red velvet, but it works for me! 🙂 And yes, 1 cup. I know, it seems like a lot! But it makes them super moist!

42. looks delicious! How many cupcakes does this recipe make?

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 7th, 2013 at 9:22 am

If I remember correctly it made about 2 dozen!

43. I am a pretty well-seasoned cupcake maker and my husband said these were the best ones I have ever made! Thanks for the great recipe! I cut it in half because the last thing we need is 30 cupcakes hanging around and they turned out perfectly. I can’t wait to make them again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 11th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Yay!! Thank you so much Anna. That is so nice to hear, that you loved them! 🙂

44. I followed the frosting recipe but it came out more like icing and i couldn’t get it to form to where I could frost the cupcakes with it. Any suggestions?

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 11th, 2014 at 7:35 am

Cream cheese frosting is more liquid (gummy) consistency than a regular buttercream. If it’s too thin when you first make it (from softening the butter and cc) you can chill it and it will firm up. If that doesn’t work, try adding more powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until it’s the consistency you want!

45. These cheesecake cupcakes look amazing

46. CupcakeMaker0414 Reply

4th of July Cupcakes… these look simply amazing! I can’t wait to make these! Quick question: For the cheesecake, does it take (2) 16ounce containers of cream cheese or (2) containers equaling 16ounces? I just wished to be sure so not to mess up the recipe! 🙂 Thank you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2014 at 4:19 pm

2 8 ounce packages – that equal 16. 🙂 Sorry that was unclear!

• CupcakeMaker0414 replied on July 2nd, 2014 at 5:12 pm

No problem. Thank you! 🙂

47. Pingback: Red Cabbage, Apple, and Beet Salad | Fuel 2 Live

48. did you cake the red velvet first for a little bit then the cheesecake? or all at the same time?

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 21st, 2014 at 1:43 pm

No they both get layered in the pan and baked all at once!

49. I made these and they turned out incredibly.  I gave them as a present and they were all gone within a day. This recipe was very easy to half. No partial eggs! Phew. Don’t hesitate to make a half batch if you’re worried that they might not turn out. They totally do. They are the BEST cupcake recipe I’ve ever found. Super impressive, decadent, and I didn’t even mess them up.

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 14th, 2015 at 6:30 am

Yay! I’m so glad you like them!! 🙂

50. Hi Dorothy!

I sent you an email, but I am not sure if it went to your spam box. But I make these cupcakes for my best friend’s birthday every year for the past 3 years, and I saw that you recently changed the recipe! Is there anywhere on your website where I can find the old recipe? Or can I get it emailed to me? I really like how it turns out, and it is almost time for me to make it for her birthday again. Thanks so much!