Oct 17

Witches’ Brooms

I love when the Halloween decorations hit the stores. Well, maybe I don’t love when they show up (um, in July I’m usually thinking margaritas and ice cream, not costumes and pumpkin), but I love walking through the aisles of Michael’s and Target and planning what I’m going to do to my house come October. I had it all planned out this year. I was going to have everything painted, prepped, and ready to go come October 1st. Then I would decorate and photograph and post all my cute inspiration here. It was gonna be great.

And then we found out the short-sale home we were buying had gone into escrow.

And that we’d be closing escrow on Halloween.

{Enter dashed Halloween dreams.}

As a result, my great decorations this year consist of three baby pumpkins on my mantel. I managed to write B-O-O on them. That’s it. I walk around my neighborhood and see all the spooky ghosts and pumpkins and spider webs and graveyards. I thought about appeasing my daughters begging and getting out the Halloween bin.

But then I thought about the look that would be on my husbands’ face if he saw that I had decorated when he is frantically packing and moving stuff to storage.

*Sigh*

So this year I’m settling for a bunch of cute Halloween treats. I figure this way, my little corner of the internets is decorated. I guess I can settle for that.

Last week I teased you about these brooms. I figure you can’t have a witch hat without a broom!

Remember that brownie pan I told you about when I made the Candy Corn Brownie Bites? I used the same pan for these brooms. Afterwards I stuck a stick in them for the broom handle (pretzels would look cute too). Then I drizzled them with melted chocolate and peanut butter melts for the broom look. Easy-peasy!

How have you decorated for Halloween? Come on and elaborate in detail. I’m living vicariously this year!

Witches’ Brooms
Recipe by Crazy for Crust
Witches’ Brooms

• 1 box brownie mix (Family Size), plus ingredients listed to make the brownies
  • Brownie Pop Pan (Wilton)
  • Chocolate candy melts (or chocolate chips)
  • Peanut butter candy melts (or peanut butter chips)
  • 24 lollipop sticks or long pretzel sticks

1. 1. Mix brownies according to package directions. Spray your brownie pop pan liberally with cooking spray and fill each cavity 2/3 full of brownie mix. Bake 18-20 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before dipping. (Note: the entire brownie mix makes about 24 brownies using this pan, meaning three trips through the oven.)
  2. Melt your chocolate and peanut butter melts in separate bowls. Dip each lollipop stick into a little bit of melted chocolate and then press into the top of each brownie bite.
  3. Transfer your melted chocolate into a zip-top sandwich bag. Snip off a small corner of the bag and use it to drizzle stripes down the sides of the brownie bite. Repeat with peanut butter melts.
  4. Chill until hardened. Serve with Witches’ Hats.
Ingredients:
Yield: 24 brooms

This recipe may be linked with:
MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy’s Recipe Box), Talent Show Tuesday (Chef in Training). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark’s Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I’m Lovin’ it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters), Fall Crawl (The Artsy Girl Connection), Fall Craft Challenge (One Artsy Mama)

20 Responses to “Witches’ Brooms”

1. Brooks at Cakewalker posted on October 17, 2011 at 8:33 am (#)

Festive, creative and perfect for All Hallows Eve!

2. Something Swanky posted on October 17, 2011 at 8:41 am (#)

very yummy looking! And I love, LOVE the new look!!!

3. So Domesticated posted on October 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm (#)

Love these witches brooms! Noticed the new look… very cute!

4. carolinaheartstrings posted on October 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm (#)

Those are so cute. Sorry you did not get to decorate, but it looks like you put your creative juices to good use! Come visit. We have an awesome panna cotta today.

5. Jocelyn posted on October 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm (#)

I love love LOVE the new look!!! Sorry about not decorating your house, but you definitely made up for it with all the fun Halloween treats:-) How cute and easy are these!!!

6. Geni posted on October 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm (#)

LOVE these adorable brooms. Next year you can make up for this year’s lack of decorating. You can go crazy!

7. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on October 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm (#)

These are adorable and look so good! Definitely pinning these on my Pinterest board! We went thru our move last October so I know what you are going thru. I hated it. So this year I have been going all out, making up for not feeling like I had a fall last year!

8. Simple Girl posted on October 18, 2011 at 6:42 am (#)

Very Creative! I just bought the brownie mold. What a great idea for it!

9. MrsFoxsSweets posted on October 18, 2011 at 9:53 am (#)

These look so yummy! I love that brownie pop pan! Congrats on your soon to be new home!

10. Trish - Sweetology101 posted on October 18, 2011 at 9:56 am (#)

this is a cool idea. and yummy! Good luck on the new home.

11. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 18, 2011 at 11:30 am (#)

@Brooks at Cakewalker
    For sure! Thanks for your comment. :)

@So Domesticated
    Thanks! I worked hard on it, hopefully I’ll keep it for awhile. LOL

@Carolinaheartstrings
    Thank you! Food is more fun anyway. ;)

@Geni
    I most likely will. Watch out new neighbors! ;) Thanks for your comment!

@Jennifer@MotherThyme
    That’ll be me for sure. I hope I can get my act together for Christmas. :) Thanks for your comment!

@Simple Girl
    I have so many ideas for that pan! A few good Christmas ones coming soon. :)

@Trish-Sweetology101
    Thanks! :)

12. Joy @ Joy Of Desserts posted on October 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm (#)

These are great. Fun with those witches’ hats too. Thank you for linking these cute and tasty brooms at Joy of Desserts.
    Wishing you all the best for a smooth escrow and move. :-)

13. Lady Behind The Curtain posted on October 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm (#)

I LOVE your recipe! It would be a PERFECT addition to my party. Would you come over to CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY tomorrow and share it with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

14. The How To Mommy posted on October 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, those are awesome! Thanks for linking up.

15. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm (#)

@The How To Mommy
    Thank you, and thanks for hosting. :)

16. Heather posted on October 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm (#)

These are so cute! I’m going to have to look for the pan you made them in.

17. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm (#)

@Heather
    Thank you! The pan is a Wilton one, so I’m sure you can find it online. I think I’ve seen it at Michaels/Joanns but my husband got it for me at Sur la Table. Good luck! :)

18. Kim McCallie posted on October 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm (#)

I love them! Now I need a brownie pops pan. These look cute and delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

19. Pingback: Witch Hat Cupcakes | Crazy for Crust