Sep 01

Zucchini Brownies

These are the BEST Zucchini brownies ever! They’re ooey, gooey, and SUPER fudgy. And NO one will know they have zucchini inside!

Zucchini Brownies - the easiest recipe for the most gooey, chocolaty, fudgy brownies full of zucchini! And NO ONE will guess!

Yes, it is another zucchini recipe. I know, you’re probably yelling at the computer chanting “No more zucchini…NO MORE ZUCCHINI…”

Think of how I feel? At one point I think I had seven ginormous ones in my crisper drawer. Unfortunately, two didn’t make it through. When you get a pile of veggies that just keeps growing…things get forgotten underneath.

Alas, only one is left. I haven’t had to buy zucchini for dinner in over a month. In another few weeks I’ll be grumbling at the prices and wishing I wasn’t having to buy it to make these brownies again.

Because, my friends, I will be making these brownies again. They are delightfully fudgy, due in part to the chocolate frosting on top.

Zucchini Brownies

These brownies are addictingly good. They’re gooey, fudgy, and super chocolatey…and they have zucchini in them. So they’re healthy. Practically a vegetable.

I promise you though – NO ONE will guess there is zucchini in this recipe. They taste like the most decadent brownies ever…and it just so happens they’re a vegetable.

#YoureWelcome.

When you make the recipe you’re going to think something is strange because there are no eggs in it. Yes, that’s right, a brownie without eggs. Also, there’s no butter in the brownies so if you skip the frosting these are vegan.

(Don’t skip the frosting. More on that later.)

The recipe calls for water as an additional binder to the zucchini. How much water you add will vary depending on your zucchini. If you have a very wet zucchini, you may not need as much water. Add a tablespoon at a time and stop adding once the mixture JUST comes together and is no longer powdery. It is a very thick dough, almost like cookie dough. This batter is not a traditional brownie batter consistency.

Just go with it.

Zucchini Brownies

Let’s talk about frosting. My Grandma (my mom’s mom) used to make the best vanilla frosting. It was smooth and soft and got kind of crunchy after sitting on the cake. Problem was, my Grandma never measured. So no one was really sure how she made her wonderful frosting. Then I made these brownies and I think I’ve figured out her secret: melted butter. I can’t wait to experiment more to see if I can make the frosting from my memories.

Now you pretty much know the secret to the ooey gooey chocolate frosting. It’s cocoa, melted butter, milk, salt, and vanilla. No mixer even needed, just use a whisk! Pour it over the cooled brownies and let it semi-set. This frosting stays gooey and wet with a teeny hardening on the top.

I could drink the stuff.

I call these “fork brownies” because they’re so gooey you need a fork. #worthit

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! I apologize in advance if you end up spending to much at the grocery store because you’ve run out of zucchini in your garden. They are that good.

Zucchini Brownies

Ingredients:

For the brownies:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 large or 2 small zucchinis)
  • 3-5 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

For the frosting:

• 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13" baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir. Fold in the zucchini. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes so the batter can absorb the moisture from the zucchini. Then, if your mixture is still very powdery, add up to 5 tablespoons water (start with 1 tablespoon and work up from there, stirring well after each addition). The batter will be very thick but shouldn't be powdery. (It partially depends on how wet your zucchini is!) Add walnuts, if desired. You may need to use your hands to work the water in instead of a spoon. The dough is super thick, like cookie dough. Do not add too much water! Spread in prepared pan.
  4. Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched.
  5. To make the frosting: Whisk butter, cocoa, salt, and powdered sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Spread over cooled brownies. Cut into squares and chill to semi-set. The frosting hardens slightly on the top but stays wet and gooey underneath.
  6. These brownies are best stored in an airtight container and eaten within 2 days. Chill them to make them last an extra day. They're what I call "fork" brownies because they are so gooey.
  7. *NOTE* People have been saying these brownies are cakey. Every time I've made them they turn out super fudgy like in the photos. The problem is how much water you add. It's hard to say how much to add because every time I've made these I've added a different amount. It really does depend on your zucchini. The batter will be very thick and need help spreading in the pan. If your batter is at all liquidy or thin you're going to get a more cakey brownie.

Easy Double Fudge Brownies

Easy Double Fudge Brownies (8 of 16)w

Cookies ‘n Cream Brownies

Cookies-n-Cream-Brownies-1-of-10w

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Oreo Crust

Oreo Peanut Butter Cup Brownies (4 of 9)

123 Responses to “Zucchini Brownies”

1. Pingback: Zucchini Brownies

2. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on June 1, 2015 at 8:59 am (#)

I’m seriously drooling over these brownies!  Now I need to find some zucchinis, so I can have these in my life.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 1st, 2015 at 9:17 am

If only I could ship you one of my gazillion!! :)

3. Pingback: Some New Produce on the Horizon | The Farmer's Wife CSA

4. PPaFeu posted on July 5, 2015 at 7:15 am (#)

These just didn’t work. I had to add an insanely high amount of water and a little bit of oil. Thanks god I used so honey to instead of all the sugar, so it made it a little bit wetter. I’m scared of what will come out of the oven though…

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 5th, 2015 at 11:58 am

I’ve made these several times and each time I do I’m surprised at how thick the dough is. But the zucchini makes them super moist. I hope they turned out okay!

5. Pingback: Castle Island isn’t really a castle nor an island. Discuss amongst yourselves. | One Summer At Home

6. Kaitlyn posted on July 7, 2015 at 11:51 am (#)

Do you by chance know the calorie count on these brownies with the walnuts ?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 8th, 2015 at 6:45 am

I’m sorry, I don’t. A lot? I know that there are several free calorie counters online if you want to plug it in!

7. TERESA posted on July 7, 2015 at 12:47 pm (#)

UNBELIEVABLE!!! SO MOIST AND YUMMY WILL USE THIS RECIPE EVERY TIME I WANT BROWNIES (AND HAVE ZUCCHINI) WOW!!
    MY FAMILY DIDNT KNOW I MADE IT WITH A VEGGIE!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 8th, 2015 at 6:40 am

I’m SO glad you enjoyed them! Yay! These are one of my favorites for sure.

8. Pingback: The Thursday Thirteen – 07/09/2015

9. Andrea Knapke posted on July 17, 2015 at 8:27 am (#)

Is there no cocoa powder in the brownie mix?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 17th, 2015 at 11:23 am

There is, it’s listed for both. 1/2 cup in the brownies!

10. Wendy K posted on July 17, 2015 at 6:24 pm (#)

Just made these. My zucchini must’ve been really dry needed 7 tbl water. More the texture of cake. Still tastes awesome!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 18th, 2015 at 6:56 am

Every time I make them I need to add a different amount of water! But they’re fudgy and rich every time! Glad you enjoyed them!

11. Pingback: Blog • North Star Orchard

12. Kristen posted on July 19, 2015 at 4:54 pm (#)

I found this recipe on Pinterest, while searching zucchini recipes. I’ve had chocolate zucchini bread and cupcakes, but never brownies. The pictures don’t lie – they are AMAZING!! They came out perfectly moist and fudg-y. You do really have to pay attention to the consistency when adding water; make sure the zucchini is completely mixed in first (I think a lifetime of baking brownies helps out!). They could even be fairly healthy if it wasn’t for the icing…but OOOOHHHHH the icing!!! SO delicious! It tastes like fudge before it hardens…it was all I could do to save some for the brownies!! Thank you for sharing this FABULOUS recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 20th, 2015 at 7:00 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed these!! Thank you for letting me know, and I know that icing is the BOMB!

13. Natalie posted on July 19, 2015 at 7:35 pm (#)

Made these tonight with zucchini from our garden.  Moist and delicious.  I didn’t even make the frosting :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 20th, 2015 at 6:59 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them!

14. Molly posted on July 20, 2015 at 6:42 pm (#)

These were amazing! My baby has mspi so only substitutes I made were in the frosting! So good and will definitely make again!

15. Pingback: How to Survive The Zucchini Flood From Your Garden: Ways to Use Zucchini | Free Homeschool Deals ©

16. Tiffany posted on July 26, 2015 at 4:59 am (#)

This is my first attempt at baking with zucchini, so I have a couple questions. When you say “shredded” zucchini, do I just use a grater? It seems like the zucchini will be in large pieces using a grater. Also, do I need to peel the zucchini before shredding? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 27th, 2015 at 8:38 am

I didn’t peel them but you can if you prefer. And I use a box grater (or you can use a food processor with the grater attachment). I usually just use the big round holes of a box grater (not the side ones that give you “potato chip” slices, the size you shred cheese) when I’m shredding 1 or 2 zucchini.

17. Linda posted on July 26, 2015 at 11:36 am (#)

I not only like to pin recipes, but also like to share on FB.  Guess you don’t want anyone to post to FB huh?  Very disappointing.

18. Pingback: Sunday Roundup - Momma On The Rocks

19. Pingback: Got Zucchini? 4 ways to use it up |

20. Pingback: home grindz: zucchini recipes! - stilettos to snatches

21. Mansi posted on July 29, 2015 at 6:20 pm (#)

These look great.  However, I noticed a lot of commenters mentioned the “cakey” texture.  I would really like these to be more fudgy as they appear in the picture.  Did you ever end up figuring out why they were becoming for cakey or have any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 30th, 2015 at 6:25 am

Every time I’ve made them they are fudgy. I think that the culprit is that those commenters either have a different interpretation of what fudgy is, or that they added too much water. It’s hard to guage how much you need to add (every time I’ve made these brownies I’ve had to add a different amount!) The dough needs to be VERY thick. It’s not loose like brownie batter or thin like cake. It’s more like a thick dough. You have to press it into the pan. I think that people add too much water because they don’t realize that thick is the way it should be. Use just enough water to get all the dry ingredients to dissolve but not so much your batter thins out.

22. Crystal posted on July 30, 2015 at 8:24 pm (#)

How many servings do you get from the pan you use?  I’m attempting to count Weight Watcher points 😉

23. Pingback: Zucchini Recipes You Have To Try

24. Casey Davis posted on July 31, 2015 at 5:19 am (#)

If you have a problem with them becoming cake-like because of too much water, try folding your zucchini in and then letting it sit for a minute or two before you continue to folding. By doing this you will allow the flour mixture to start pulling some of the liquid out of the zucchini and you may find you don’t have to add any water at all. Worked for me! Hope you all try it again!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 31st, 2015 at 7:16 am

Great tips Casey!! Thank you!

25. Pingback: Mason Jar Desserts, 4 Ways (Or, I’ve Sold My Soul to Pinterest) | Plate of Flux

26. Pingback: Summer CSA Week 8 | Suncrest Gardens Farm

27. Pingback: Recipe Round Up- Zucchini! | The Sweetest Thing.

28. Sabrina posted on August 8, 2015 at 5:44 am (#)

These were spectacular!  We needed to use our favorite GF flour blend as we are a celiac home and they still were an amazing hit!  Had a surplus of yellow summer squash so used that instead. Barely needed any extra water in the mix, done in 35 minutes and devoured before any attempt at frosting them!  Many thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Great idea using the yellow squash! Glad they worked GF too, I always wonder. Thanks for the comment!

29. Pingback: Zucchini Recipes - She Wears Many Hats

30. Pingback: Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini Brownies

31. Pingback: Recipe Trials- Zucchini Brownies | losangeles cowgirl

32. martha posted on August 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm (#)

These look absolutely delicious. I thought I was putting zucchini to good use by using the ihomeset spiralizer to replace pasta but…this definitely takes the cake. Literally.

33. Elisabeth posted on August 18, 2015 at 12:02 pm (#)

So….I just made these. I substituted 1 cup of flour with oat flour, hot coffee instead for water, and used just one cup of sugar. The flavor is fabulous! They were cakey in texture, but I was nervous about over doing the liquid. I will most likely make this recipe again, and add a little more coffee. Thanks!

34. Aubrey posted on August 20, 2015 at 9:06 am (#)

i must comment!!! This is the second time in 6 days I have made this dessert!!! Amazing! I am a Texas Sheet cake girl, it’s my go-to cake for everything thing. This recipe surpasses it! Texture, taste, everything is AMAZING! I must say, both times I’ve made this I HAVE NOT ADDED THE WATER! The zucchini needs to sit a few minutes after you shred it, the moisture will start to come out. Also, when stirring the batter expect to get a workout. It will take about five minutes to incorporate all the ingredients. Your batter should look very shiny and barely spread on your pan. Hope this helps.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 20th, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Totally a good arm workout! Great tip about letting the zucchini sit!

35. Esther posted on August 20, 2015 at 12:21 pm (#)

Making these brownies today but hoping to put them in the freezer. Have you frozen them before and if so did they freeze well?

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 20th, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Yes! I froze them the last time I made them. The frosting gets a little gooey if you put them in a ziploc bag, so you might want to freeze them on a cookie sheet and then wrap or put them in a bag after they’re frozen. But they defrosted fine!

36. Fern posted on August 22, 2015 at 2:55 pm (#)

I just made the Zuchinni Brownies. I am blown away by the amazing deliciousness of this recipe! It is every bit as good as the description states. I didn’t have to add any water to my batter. I did notice that, straight out of the oven the texture was more cake-y, then, after being at room temp for a couple hours, they became ooey-gooey fudgey goodness. thank you for the awesome recipe!

37. Pingback: Got Zucchini? - View From In Here

38. Pingback: community supported agriculture: week 11.

39. Erica Burton posted on August 25, 2015 at 6:51 pm (#)

Holy Moses on the mountain!!! Decadent Chocolate Bliss!!! I have had a baseball bat-sized zucchini sitting on my counter and thought I’d shred it for a meatloaf later in the fall, but had plenty leftover to try these…you just frosted my vacation! How does anyone have a pan that survives beyond two days!?!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 26th, 2015 at 7:20 am

Um, no one does, haha!! Mine surely didn’t!

40. Pingback: 35 Delicious Zucchini Recipes

41. HappyMom posted on August 25, 2015 at 9:07 pm (#)

Made these today! They are so delicious and came out perfect! I’m in heaven! Thank you for the recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 26th, 2015 at 7:19 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them!

42. Pingback: 10 Delicious Ways to Use Zucchini - Saving by Design