Sep 01

Zucchini Brownies

These are the BEST Zucchini brownies ever!
Zucchini Brownies | crazyforcrust.com | The BEST Zucchini Brownies ever! #zucchini #brownie

Yes, it is another zucchini recipe. I know, you’re probably yelling at the computer chanting “No more zucchini…NO MORE ZUCCHINI…”

Think of how I feel? At one point I think I had seven ginormous ones in my crisper drawer. Unfortunately, two didn’t make it through. When you get a pile of veggies that just keeps growing…things get forgotten underneath.

Alas, only one is left. I haven’t had to buy zucchini for dinner in over a month. In another few weeks I’ll be grumbling at the prices and wishing I wasn’t having to buy it to make these brownies again.

Because, my friends, I will be making these brownies again. They are delightfully fudgy, due in part to the chocolate frosting on top.

I’m going to digress for a minute and talk about frosting. My Grandma (my mom’s mom) used to make the best vanilla frosting. It was smooth and soft and got kind of crunchy after sitting on the cake. Problem was, my Grandma never measured. So no one was really sure how she made her wonderful frosting. In making the Zucchini Bars and then these brownies, I think I’ve figured out her secret: melted butter. I can’t wait to experiment more to see if I can make the frosting from my memories.

So…back to the brownies. I was raving about how good they are. And they are. And they have zucchini in them. So they’re healthy. Practically a vegetable.

One note about them – there are no eggs in this recipe. I was stymied at first, thinking I didn’t print the whole thing. A quick search confirmed my printout – no eggs needed. The zucchini gives the moistness to the brownies. (This also makes them good for those will egg allergies.) The batter is very crumbly. I had to press it into the pan. It really all depends on how wet your zucchini is. If you have a drier zucchini, you may need to add a little water. If you zucchini is more wet, you won’t need to. I’ve covered it all in the recipe directions.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! I apologize in advance if you end up spending to much at the grocery store because you’ve run out of zucchini in your garden. They are that good.

Zucchini Brownies

*This recipe has been edited. I noted the changes with a *. * Recipe from Allrecipes.com

For the brownies:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 large or 2 small zucchinis)
  • 1 tablespoon water*
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
  • For the frosting:
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened*
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Directions:
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  4. Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir. Fold in the zucchini. If your mixture is still very powdery, add up to 1/4 cup hot water (start with 1 tablespoon and work up from there, stirring well after each addition). The batter will be crumbly, but shouldn't be powdery. Add walnuts, if desired.
  5. Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched.
  6. To make the frosting: Mix softened butter, cocoa, and powdered sugar with a hand mixer. Mix in milk and vanilla. Spread over cooled brownies. Cut into squares.

63 Responses to “Zucchini Brownies”

1. Mrs. No-No posted on September 1, 2011 at 7:59 am (#)

Yay! No Eggs! I had another brownie recipe that I was going to try this weekend – but, if you are making them AGAIN, then I will be trying this one instead – – the pics make it look realllllly chocolate-y :)
    Found you on Around My Family Table – – following you too so that I can get more great tips!
    carla aka Mrs. No-No

2. The How To Mommy posted on September 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm (#)

My hubby HATES zucchini…I wonder if I could fool him with these. :) Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays!

• Corrie replied on July 21st, 2014 at 4:27 pm

My friend made these for my party the other day, and I was in love!
      I’ve had an abundance of zucchini, even after freezing some I decided to make the brownies.
      You cant taste the zucchini, and since its so dark you can barely see it! Def, good even without the frosting.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 23rd, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Corrie!

3. Ann posted on September 1, 2011 at 10:31 pm (#)

These look amazing! I love a good brownie and when you sneak in some “good for you”…even better!

4. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 2, 2011 at 6:46 am (#)

@Ann
    Me too! Thanks for your comment. :)

5. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 2, 2011 at 6:46 am (#)

@Mrs. No-No
    I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Thanks for your nice comments. :)

6. Lisa posted on September 2, 2011 at 11:38 pm (#)

Definitely need to give these a try. I’ve got one zucchini left in my fridge.

7. Kim McCallie posted on September 3, 2011 at 7:43 am (#)

Oh, these look delicious! I love frosted brownies and the idea of incorporating something healthy into the batter. I’ve definitely got to make these and test them on my kids. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

8. MrsFoxsSweets posted on September 3, 2011 at 8:29 am (#)

They look so yummy!

9. sweetpeaskitchen.com posted on September 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm (#)

Yummy! I love desserts with zucchini in them! These brownies sounds delicious…especially with the frosting! :)

10. Susan posted on September 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm (#)

Hi, new follower here from sweet ind. Sunday!
    Looking fwd to joining your link party on Tuesday!
    *susan

11. Grandma Bonnie posted on September 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm (#)

That is a great desert for my grandchildren. I will look forward to telling their parent it has zucchini in it. Thanks for sharing. New follower stopping by from Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Hope you stop by for a visit.

12. Erika - The Teenage Taste posted on September 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm (#)

These look delicious! I definitely know how you feel regarding the zucchini. My garden is FILLED with them! I cannot wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

13. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm (#)

@sweetpeaskitchen.com
    Thank you! The frosting takes these brownies to another level, that’s for sure.

@Susan
    Thanks for following! I’ll look forward to seeing you on Tuesday. :)

@Grandma Bonnie
    I know I’d be happy if my mom could sneak veggies into my daughters’ meals! Thanks for stopping by! :)

@Erika – The Teenage Taste
    Thank you! I hope you enjoy them. :)

14. ladybehindthecurtain.com posted on September 9, 2011 at 9:09 am (#)

CONGRATUALTIONS!!! Your recipe has been featured on Lady Behind The Curtain “Feature Friday” Go grab a button!

15. PhotoMommy posted on September 10, 2011 at 8:23 am (#)

I have a zucchini in my fridge that I will be able to use before it goes bad!! Im going to make these tomorrow with my daughter!! YAY!! Thanks for this.

16. Nicole posted on September 10, 2011 at 11:20 am (#)

I can’t wait to try these. You should try freezing the shredded zucchini in recipe-size portions for future brownie consumption. I’m sure that would work.

17. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm (#)

@PhotoMommy
    I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out. :)

@Nicole
    Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that next year for sure. Thanks for your comment!

18. Teresa (Embracing the Spectrum) posted on September 12, 2011 at 3:27 am (#)

This sounds tasty!

19. Anonymous posted on September 12, 2011 at 8:10 am (#)

I made these brownies last night and they were absolutely fantastic!!! I admit I didn’t think they’d be chocolatey enough, so I added 3/4 c of chocolate chips. i was wrong, they’d have been fine without the addition! Love, love, love!!! Thanks so much for sharing! – Kim M. in Norfolk, VA

20. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on September 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm (#)

@Anonymous
    I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Just the mention of chocolate has my mouth watering. :)

21. Cindy posted on September 20, 2011 at 9:16 am (#)

I just put these in the oven! I added the 1/4 cup of hot water and it made the batter nice and wet. The dry batter freaked me out. lol

22. Aaron and Kristi posted on October 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm (#)

Looks amazing! I found the recipe on pinterest, and I am making these tonight with one of my many ginormous zucchinis!!!
    I sometimes shred and freeze some of my zucchini when I get overwhelmed. Measure it our before you freeze, and then it’s easy to just defrost and toss into breads, or delicious brownies! :) Thanks again for sharing!!!

23. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm (#)

@Aaron and Kristi
    I hope you enjoy them! Let me know how they turn out. :)

24. Alicia posted on October 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm (#)

Just curious if these are good without the frosting? They look so healthy until that part, and I could justify them as snacks for the kids if they were just bars.

BTW, you can shred and freeze zucchini for recipes like this to use later in the year. Just squeeze it and freeze it in one cup portions. We always do that with our extra zucchini and do the same with homemade pumpkin puree. It’s so nice to just grab a bag of frozen, local goodies from the freezer for baking in the dead of winter. :)

25. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust posted on October 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm (#)

@Alicia
    I’ve never tried them without the frosting, but I’m sure they would be okay. There is plenty of chocolate in there! If you try it, let me know how they turn out. :) And thanks for the storing tip! I will use it for sure next summer.

26. Anonymous posted on December 5, 2011 at 10:02 am (#)

Yum!!! These turned out really good.

I shred and freeze zucchini in 2 cup portions in ziploc bags when I have an abundance during the summer so I always have it ready for bread. When you thaw it out there is lots of liquid so I didn’t have to add any water to the batter.

27. Brie posted on April 29, 2012 at 1:53 am (#)

Found these on pintrest today and made them this afternoon. omg YUM! Although mine turned out really light and fluffy so was like a cake instead of brownie (not sure what I did wrong there) but it was so nice. I also thought it would be really sweet with the 2 cups of sugar but not at all.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on April 30th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

How strange they turned out cakey. Now is when I wish I was a chemist/pastry chef and I could give you a speech on the ins and outs of cakey vs. fudgy. :) Thanks so much for trying them and I’m glad you liked them! I’m so excited – our zucchini just went in the ground. I can’t wait for them to grow. I need to make these again!

28. Anonymous posted on June 5, 2012 at 9:03 am (#)

My brownies have been in the oven for 30 minutes now. Still not bouncing back. Anyone else have to bake them a bit longer?! They smell so amazing!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on June 5th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

That’s so strange. I have no idea why they took so long – how much time did they end up taking? As soon as my crop of zucchinis gets going I’m going to re-make these for sure and re-test my time. :)

29. Anonymous posted on July 31, 2012 at 10:22 am (#)

My brownies were a bit more cake-like but very yummy. The icing was quite runny – not sure what I did wrong but still very good!

30. FlipFlop Mom posted on August 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm (#)

EXCELLENT.. I just made them today.. I cooked it in an 8×8… added a smidge more water than it called for…and cooked it a bit longer than called for.. came out MOIST!!! as for the frosting.. I did everything… but being a whoopie pie expert… I know when making the frosting to never “just add” the milk.. slowly add until you get the desired texture ..many times you don’t need the whole amount…. frosting was AWESOME!!

31. Julie posted on November 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm (#)

YUM! These look fantastic…I’m looking forward to baking them!

32. Pingback: Crazy Sweet Tuesday and Welcome Home Brands | Crazy for Crust

33. Pingback: Vegan Brownies - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

34. Pingback: 46 Sweet and Savory Zucchini Ideas - Crazy for Crust

35. Jisoo Rho posted on August 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm (#)

These were SO GOOD. I’ve made a list of things on pinterest I must make over the summer and this was one of them. School is starting soon and i bought a zucchini after seeing some recipes on pinterest. This is my last baking attempt before school starts and i have to say, THESE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUMMY! a bit cake like, but super moist. The small portion of the middle was a bit under cooked, but more than undercooked, I think it was a bit wetter because of the zucchini since I put in maybe half a cup more than the recipe asked for. I looked up why brownies become more cakey after reading some comments before i made these and a website said to maybe try using a flour with more gluten. One other reason might be because this recipe doesn’t call for eggs. The undercooking for me might have been the glass pan that i used since it was not 9×13, just a tad smaller, and an oval since i didn’t have a baking pan. But it’s ok since there aren’t any eggs so nothing was really “raw”!

Every single pin recipe i’ve tried this summer has basically been a fail… but this was my last bake of summer 2013 and a success!!! Even with a couple adjustments (half cup of sugar for a couple packs of stevia and more zucchini)! Also, i never comment on recipe blogs, but this one, I just had to… thank you! This recipe is a keeper! I never had a keeper recipe, but this is my first one!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 20th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’m SO glad you liked them and they were a success! Thank you so much for coming and telling me!! :) Made my day. :)

36. NinaK55 posted on September 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm (#)

These are so good!!! Excellent recipe. Very moist, has to be the zukes.
    We substituted applesauce for the oil, but did add back about 1 tsp of vegetable oil, cut back the sugar to 1 cup since the applesauce is slightly sweet. Outstanding. No trouble with the batter, cooking time, or icing. Really superb. I plan to cook these often.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 2nd, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Yay! I’m glad you liked them! Thanks so much Nina!

• Laura replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Thank you for this note. I was searching a few websites for substitutions and decided to just read the comments – so glad I did!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Yay! Enjoy Laura!

37. Pingback: 75 must-try zucchini recipes | kojodesigns

38. Gosia | Kiddie Foodies posted on September 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

Looks really delicious and it is hard to say that there are any veggies in there! Pinned to my Zucchini board:)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 3rd, 2013 at 7:24 pm

It’s a great way to sneak it to the kids! :) Thanks Gosia!

39. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on September 5, 2013 at 6:32 pm (#)

Zucchini brownies sound like a good way to get those veggies in! I need to try these ASAP!!

40. Pingback: Frosted Zucchini Brownies | Penny's Food Blog

41. Wendy S posted on September 22, 2013 at 10:43 am (#)

I made these just the way the recipe read and they were AWESOME! Thanks much….and for the record, I am using your frosting recipe for another cake I am baking today. I loved it ! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:48 am

That frosting is to die for, isn’t it? I’m glad you liked the brownies!! :)

42. mrsblocko posted on October 29, 2013 at 4:37 pm (#)

I made these amazing brownies and wrote about them here. I baffled my daughters friends with them. They thought I was pulling their legs when I told them they had zucchini in them. I’ll be making these brownies next year when my garden is in zucchini overload! Thanks so much for the recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 30th, 2013 at 7:29 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them!! :)

43. Laura posted on February 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm (#)

Made these tonight, cannot stop eating them! I subbed applesauce for the oil and reduced the sugar to 1 cup. They were delish, even before the icing. For the record – I used vegan butter and only about 2 T of almond milk in the icing. Thank you for this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:48 am

Awesome!!! Thanks for letting me know what you used. That sounds so good. :)

44. Pingback: Vegan Zucchini Brownies - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks

45. Pingback: Recipes for Chocolate Zucchini Brownies | DIYmazing

46. Pingback: 102 Best Brownie Recipes Ever | The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen

47. french girl posted on July 21, 2014 at 7:58 am (#)

hello, this recipe looks so good !! i want to do it but can you tell me if the zucchinis are raw or cooked when you add it to the other ingredients? thank :)

48. Pingback: Zucchini Overload | pinadvised

49. Pingback: Orange (Zucchini) Brownies with Orange Frosting | Tastes Like Adventure

50. marti posted on August 30, 2014 at 4:34 am (#)

these are sooooo good! made them yesterday. thanks for an awesome recipe :)