This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Caramel Cake: I know what you may be thinking: “Cake? In a Crockpot?” That’s right, Crockpot cake is super moist and easy to make!
Table of Contents
Easy Crockpot Cake With Cake Mix
Slow cookers aren’t just for stews and other hearty dishes, they also make a great baking tool! You can actually make all sorts of baked goods in a crock pot, like apple dump cake. This crock pot cake only needs a few ingredients and you will be left with minimal dishes. Just throw everything in the Crockpot!
Ingredients in Crockpot Caramel Cake
- Yellow cake mix- The neutral base of the cake.
- International Delight coffee creamer- Adds creaminess, and makes the cake ultra-rich!
- Vegetable oil
- Eggs- Large eggs are always best
- Boiling water
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar is better than white for this recipe.
- Carmel- For drizzling on top! You can also use caramel sauce if you don’t want to melt solid caramel.
How to make Crockpot Cake
- Prepare the slow cooker: Spray a 6-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray (you can also use a slow-cooker liner if you’d like, this just makes it easier during clean up. It’s not completely necessary.)
- Mix in ingredients: Stir in cake mix, creamer, oil, and eggs. Mix with a whisk or hand mixer until it’s completely smooth. Then, pour it into the slow cooker.
- Melt the butter and sugar: In a small saucepan boil some water and whisk in brown sugar and butter until it’s completely melted. (You can also heat the water in the microwave as long as it reaches a boil.) Slowly drizzle over the cake batter in the pan.
- Cook: Cover the crock pot with a paper towel then place the lid on top. This is to catch any condensation so the cake doesn’t get wet. Cook on high power for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours. The range of cooking time is largely because different slow cookers cook at different speeds. After 1 ½ hours, start to watch the cake to ensure it doesn’t overcook. The crockpot cake will be done when a few crumbs stick to a toothpick when pulled out, but it will no longer look like batter.
- Serve: This crockpot cake tastes best when served with caramel sauce and ice cream. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Let this be proof that you can in fact bake in a crock pot! You can make cake, cheesecakes, crumbles, and more!
It can take anywhere from 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours depending on what kind of slow cooker you have.
Store your leftover cake, covered, in the fridge. You don’t want to leave it out on the counter or it will lose its moistness.
Yes, you can! Be sure to let it cool all the way and place it in an airtight container before putting it in the freezer.
Slow Cooker Caramel Cake
- 1 approximately 15 ounce yellow cake mix
- 1 cup International Delight Creamer Caramel Macchiato or Vanilla will go best, but use your favorite
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (355ml) boiling water
- ¾ cup (150g) packed brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- Spray a 6-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or line with a slow cooker liner and spray that with cooking spray. (I used the liner, it’s not necessary except it makes for easy clean up.)
- Stir cake mix, creamer, oil, and eggs in a large bowl with a whisk or a hand mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared slow cooker.
- Heat water until boiling in a microwave or small sauce pan. Whisk in brown sugar and butter until the butter is melted. Slowly drizzle over the cake batter in the pan.
- Cover the crock pot with a paper towel then place the lid on top. The paper towel is to catch any condensation so it doesn’t get the cake wet.
- Cook on high power for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. There is quite a range of cooking time because all crock pots cook differently. Start peeking at the cake after 1 1/2 hours. Once it no longer looks like batter, check with a toothpick to check for doneness. A few crumbs will stick to the toothpick when it’s done.
- Serve warm with caramel sauce and ice cream. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Use any flavor cake mix and creamer.
- Salted butter may be used.
Last Updated on November 23, 2022
Substituted a mashed up banana instead of the coffee creamer (left everything else the same) and it turned out great.
Thanks for the recipe.
I did make this recepie. it tastes very good.
Im not sure how it was supposed to look coming out of the crock pot, so Im not sure it was right. Mine was cooked in the crock pot for 1-1/2 to one hour 45 minutes. one end was a little darker. All the drizzling liquid ended up on the bottom. Was it supposed to happen like that? I did use the crock pot liner! What a great invention! And great tip about the paper towel under the lid. I will probably make this again just to see if it turns out the same. Thank you so much.
Regarding the Carmel during dump. A little confused. You talk about putting it directly in the crockpot; but then you reference a pan. Should a pan be used? If so,what size?
I agree the caramel syrup is too watery. Please confirm the amount of water as I’m making this cake right now for company! Thanks!!!!
It thickens as it cooks!
Did not make any substitutions
When this cake was done, @2 hours in my crockpot, it was sitting in the brown sugar and water mixture. What gives? Is this the way it’s supposed to be? What do you do with all that liquid? I poured some over the cake, but it’s not like a syrup. The cake is now cooling, sitting in a container, but very soggy from all the liquid. This cake might taste OK if you didn’t pour all that water mixture over it. What a Waste of time and ingredients.
The mixture should have thickened a bit as it cooked. It’s not thick like pudding, but like a dippy caramel to drizzle over the top. I’m not sure what happened. Did you make any substitutions?
Do you think I could successfully double this recipe? I just have a normal 7 quart sized crock pot. would it cook okay you think? I’m nervous to try… =/
I’m not sure about doubling – I would worry that the cake wouldn’t cook in the middle but would get too done around the edges if the crock pot is too full!
my current caramel obsession means that this cake is pretty much nirvana to me!
Made this today, it was very disappointing. Not very good at all. Followed the recipe exactly. It took about three hours to cook completely. The cake had a very pronounced egg flavor, could not really taste any caramel. I did not even finish the portion I served myself and actually will throw the entire thing out. It is certainly not worth the waste of calories. Another Internet recipe FAIL!
I’m very sorry you didn’t like it Dave. That is very unfortunate. My whole family loved it and ate way too much of it! I guess this is a time when tastes are different for different people. To me it tasted like sweet cake (with the cake mix flavor) and I definitely tasted the caramel. As for the cooking time, all slow cookers cook differently. What takes 2 hours in mine might take 3 in yours and 1 1/2 in another. It’s almost impossible to give exact time for a slow cooker dessert, as I state clearly in my directions.
I would eat this cake in any temperature, it’s just perfect! I agree, coffee creamer is so good in so many things!