This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
A classic Mandarin Orange Jello Salad is a potluck dish perfect for summer BBQs or holidays – this will remind you of childhood! With just 6 ingredients it only takes about 5 minutes to make!
Table of Contents
What is Jello Salad?
This is similar to Watergate salad – it’s a dessert salad fluff recipe that’s full of mandarin oranges and pineapple. It’s a creamy and delicious treat that’s perfect as a side dish or as a dessert. Old fashioned Orange jello salad is such a classic recipe; I found this one written on an old piece of paper from a book of recipes I found at an estate sale. I could tell the recipe had been very loved and wanted to share it. It’s super easy to make this recipe – 6 ingredients and about 5 minutes prep!
5 Ingredients Needed
- Canned Mandarin Oranges: Just one can of mandarin oranges, and make sure to drain them well. I like to buy the kind that are packed in juice, not syrup. They also come in jars too – just buy your favorite brand.
- Crushed Pineapple: Drain the excess liquid off.
- Orange Jello: Orange gelatin gives it the orange color and a strong orange flavor.
- Cottage Cheese: The cottage cheese is a classic fluff ingredient and gives body to the recipe. Beware of using low or nonfat cottage cheese as it has more liquid and the fluff will be soupier.
- Cool Whip: This adds some sweetness and body and creaminess to the recipe.
- Mini Marshmallows: This is my favorite part of the recipe! I add marshmallows to all my fluff recipes.
How to make Orange Jello Salad
- Stir together the drained crushed pineapple and drained mandarin oranges with the cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the jello mix.
- Fold in the whipped topping and then stir in the mini marshmallows.
- Chill at least an hour before serving so the mixture can set up.
Like all classic recipes, this fluff salad has some variations between families.
- Vanilla Pudding: Don’t drain the pineapple. Add vanilla pudding in step one and stir – let sit 5 minutes for the pudding to soft set, then continue.
- Cream Cheese: In step one, mix cream cheese with pineapple before stirring in oranges and cottage cheese.
Tip From Dorothy
- Be sure to drain the pineapple and oranges so your mixture sets up.
- You can also add nuts to this if you like – pecans would be yummy.
- Like cherry? Add some chopped maraschino cherries too!
- Use any flavor jello for a new fluff recipe flavor!
You can omit the cottage cheese and beat in 8-ounces of room temperature cream cheese.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Orange Jello Salad
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple , drained really well
- 1 15 ounce can mandarin oranges , drained
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 6 ounce box orange flavored jello
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Place pineapple, oranges, and cottage cheese in a large bowl. Stir, then mix in jello.
- Add whipped topping and stir, then stir in marshmallows.
- Chill one hour before serving.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
• Use oranges packed in juice so it’s not too sweet
• Use regular cottage cheese, not low fat
Orange Jello Salad is an easy Mandarin Orange Fluff recipe! This side dish is a dessert salad and is perfect for potlucks with just 5 ingredients!
Last Updated on May 10, 2023