This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
STOP what you are doing and print this recipe. I’ve made the ULTIMATE gooey bar: a Double Decker Cookie Gooey Bar made with TWO kinds of cookies!
This cookie bar is even easier than my normal recipes because they start with cookie mixes – such an EASY treat!
Why You’ll Love These Cookie Bars
DOUBLE DECKER cookie gooey bars are made of two kinds of cookie doughs and filled with gooey sweetened condensed milk and chocolate!!
I decided to have fun with two kinds cookie mix when I made these bars: Triple Chocolate Chunk and Double Peanut Butter. I mixed up both batches according to the package directions, and then I sandwiched them with a bag of chocolate chunks and a can of sweetened condensed milk.
- They have TWO kinds of cookies: peanut butter and chocolate chip
- They are FILLED with gooey sweetened condensed milk and MORE chocolate
- They start with cookie mix so they’re EASY!
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Double Cookie Bars
As you all know I’m a sucker for gooey bar recipes and I love Krusteaz mixes. You may think about them for pancake mix or muffin mix, but did you know they make some of the BEST cookie mixes? I’ve tried every single flavor and they all taste as good as homemade – if not better.
- Cookie Mix: I used Krusteaz when I first made these but you can use any kind of cookie mix as long as they are 17-18 ounces (the pouches are perfect).
- Butter: Use unsalted butter to help make the cookie dough
- Egg: Be sure to buy large eggs
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This comes in a can, in the baking aisle. Be sure to get sweetened, not evaporated.
- Chocolate Chips: More chocolate is even better!
These are rich, chocolatey, fudgy, gooey, and PURE Heaven. If you don’t believe me, you’ll have to try them for yourself!
How to Make Double Cookie Bars
1. Peanut Butter Cookie Dough: Prepare the Peanut Butter Cookie Mix using 1/2 cup of the butter and 1 egg. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan, spraying your hands with cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
2. GOOEY LAYER: Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the peanut butter cookie layer. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top, leaving a 1” border around the edge of the pan that has no milk (to prevent bubbling up).
3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Prepare the Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix using the remaining 1/2 cup of butter and 1 egg. Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough all over the sweetened condensed milk layer and flatten slightly with your fingers. Make sure to get cookie dough around the edges to seal the sweetened condensed milk in the center. Some will show through the bits of cookie dough.
4. Bake: Bake for 33-38 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Some of the sweetened condensed milk may be bubbling up around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.
Just be sure the cookie mix has about 17-18 ounces in the box (a pouch works fine).
Use any flavor cookie mixes to make this! Try different combinations from snickerdoodle to sugar cookies, or chocolate cookies with peanut butter!
Store these in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days or refrigerator up to 4 days. Or you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Yes you can – freeze for up to 2 months!
Make sure they are cooked through – they should no longer be glossy on top. But also be sure to cool them completely before cutting. If you are still having trouble, try chilling them before cutting.
Other Cookie Bars
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Double Decker Cookie Gooey Bars
- 1 (17-18 ounce) box Peanut Butter Cookie Mix (see note)
- 1 (17-18 ounce) box Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (see note)
- Ingredients to make the Cookie Doughs as called for on the box/pouch
- 2 cups (340g) chocolate chips
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the Peanut Butter Cookie Mix according to package directions. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan, spraying your hands with cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the peanut butter cookie layer. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top, leaving a 1” border around the edge of the pan that has no milk (to prevent bubbling up).
- Prepare the Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix according to package directions. Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough all over the sweetened condensed milk layer and flatten slightly with your fingers. Make sure to get cookie dough around the edges to seal the sweetened condensed milk in the center. Some will show through the bits of cookie dough.
- Bake for 33-38 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Some of the sweetened condensed milk may be bubbling up around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Click HERE for more easy recipes that start with cookie dough or cookie mix!
Click here to see more PEANUT BUTTER recipes!
Sweets from friends:
Oreo Pumpkin Gooey Bars by Inside BruCrew Life
Caramel and Chocolate Gooey Bars by Averie Cooks
Coconut Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars by Mom on Timeout
This recipe was sponsored by Krusteaz when originally posted in 2016. All opinions are 100% my own. Post updated 2021.
EASY Gooey Cookie Bars – Double Decker Bars start with TWO cookie mix and are filled with gooey sweetened condensed milk and chocolate. Such an easy cookie bar recipe and SO GOOD.
Last Updated on August 20, 2021
Krusteaz has taken this recipe down so this really doesn’t help much.
Thank you for letting me know!! I will add it here right now.
Hi! These look amazing, but I’m not surprised….all of your recipes look AND taste amazing. 🙂 I was wondering if you think I could make these with cookie dough made from scratch. I wasn’t able to find the Krusteaz mix, but want to try these now! 😉 I just didn’t know if I should alter the regular cookie dough recipes in any way…perhaps to make them denser. ?? Thanks so much for the recipes and your help. 🙂
these are the absolute best gooey bars I’ve ever seen–OHMYLORD