This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Brownie Batter Krispie Treats are the perfect Rice Krispies Treats made with brownie mix. These chocolate cereal treats taste like a brownie!
Remember when brownie mix recipes were all the rage? I remember having half bags of brownie mix and cake mix all over my pantry years ago. I’m bringing the trend back with these Rice Krispies Treats: Brownie Batter Krispie Treats!!
Whenever I think about making dessert I always forget about Rice Krispies Treats. They’re the forgotten dessert which is unfortunate because they’re actually the perfect dessert!
Brownie Batter Krispie Treats are an easy dessert recipe that is no-bake, soft and crunchy, and full of yummy brownie flavor.
I have lots of requirements when I make Rice Krispies Treats: they have to be soft and crunchy, not hard. They have to be chewy but not overly so, and they have to be full of flavor. This easy Krispie Treat recipe satisfies all of my requirements!
This recipe basically follows the original Rice Krispie Treat recipe, but with just a couple of variations.
- I added brownie mix to the batter, which gives it that brownie flavor.
- The pan I use ensures a thick and soft Krispie Treat!
If you’ve never made Rice Krispie Treats or don’t know the recipe, this is a great place to start!
How do you make Rice Krispies Treats?
Start with the basic ingredients:
- Rice Krispies
These treats could not be easier to make: you simply melt the butter and marshmallow together, then stir in the cereal. Press into the pan and you’re done!
My secret for making thick, soft, and chewy Rice Krispies Treats is to press them into a 9×9-inch pan!
Using a 9×9-inch pan instead of a 9×13-inch pan ensures a thick crispy bar.
How do you make Rice Krispies Treats taste like brownies?
It’s simple: stir brownie mix into the melted butter and marshmallows. Skip making the brownie batter and just use the powder from the brownie mix! Since you’re adding brownie mix to the batter, it makes these into chocolate Rice Krispies treats!
How do you store Rice Krispies treats?
If stored properly, they’ll last up to 3 days on the counter. Make sure you put the treats in a sealed ziploc bag or airtight container. These will go stale and get hard fast if you don’t seal them up properly.
Tips for making the PERFECT Brownie Batter Rice Krispies Treats:
- Use FRESH Rice Krispies and marshmallows. If your cereal is stale, the treats will taste stale. If the marshmallows are stale, they won’t melt properly.
- Have your pan ready to go when you start. The process is fast and sticky and you don’t want to have to stop and wash your hands in the middle.
- Use a very large bowl so you don’t make a mess.
- If you don’t want to use box brownie mix, make my brownie mix from scratch instead!
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
Brownie Batter Krispy Treats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3/4 cup brownie mix (the powder, not the batter)
- Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and the marshmallows in a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. As the marshmallows begin to melt, slowly add in the brownie mix until it is incorporated with the marshmallows and butter. Quickly stir in the cereal.
- Pour the marshmallow-cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Press to flatten. (I like to spray my hands with cooking spray and use them to press the treats into the pan – just be careful not to burn yourself.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Last Updated on September 28, 2020