Easy Double Fudge Brownies with the most amazing frosting ever.
These easy double fudge brownies were my undoing. I could not resist them at all!
Want to know what else undid me last week? Having to spend $200 on new curtains for my living room.
We got new neighbors in November. I don’t know where they moved from, but I’m betting it was somewhere where you need to leave floodlights on 24 hours a day. You see, instead of having normal backyard lights, the house next door has actual park lamp lights. There are two 14 foot tall poles with three bulbs each. They glow all night long, and it looks like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation in my bedroom.
Since I’ve already had to ask them to turn down the music in their garage (it was shaking my office, literally), I’m not betting too much on the lights going out any time soon.
So, why did I have to spend $200 on living room curtains? Because I needed red ones in the bedroom and after shopping at every single store, I couldn’t find the right color to match the bedspread. The living room curtains matched, so instead of spending $100 on curtains and $200 on new bedding, I opted to move them upstairs. Then I had to buy new ones for the living room.
All because my new neighbors think we live in a jail yard…or something. Neighbors make me want to move to the country.
The caveat? The new curtains are teal. #tealallthethings
So…brownies. They are much more versatile than curtains. These brownies? Are so versatile you can make them into squares.
Or hearts (for Valentine’s Day…it’s almost Feburary!)
Or you can eat them from the pan with a fork.
Or you can turn them into footballs.
They tell me a big game is coming up. All I know is that my husband is in a deep depression because (1) he lost fantasy football and (2) in two weeks there will be no more football until summer.
I’d do an *eye-roll* but, well. I felt the same way the second Mockingjay: Part 1 was over.
Okay so I guess at some point I should actually talk about brownies.
I mean…these are double fudge. The frosting? Is to. Die. For. I mean…just look.
These brownies start with 3 cups of my homemade brownie mix. I’ve been wanting to try making the mix into a 9×13″ pan of brownies for awhile because I’ve had some complaints that people got a crumbly mixture when making them.
I don’t know what they did, but mine came out perfect (like I knew they would). If you’re using my brownie mix, you can use butter or oil to make the brownies. I’ve used both so use what you have. But please? Don’t use margarine. You know how some people feel about Cool Whip? That’s how I feel about margarine.
FYI: Country Crock, butter spread, anything that is “like butter but made with canola oil!” is NOT BUTTER. Butter comes in sticks.
If you don’t want to use my homemade mix, you can use a brownie mix from a box. But please don’t skimp on the frosting.
It’s the best part.
This chocolate frosting is one of the best frostings I’ve ever had. It’s a cooked chocolate frosting, with heavy whipping cream and butter and sugar. You pour it on the brownies and let it cool. It’s like ganache but better.
Don’t skip the frosting. If I were you I’d just make the frosting and eat it with a spoon.
Er, if I wasn’t dieting. Or…something.
These brownies are versatile enough for shapes. Perfect for any holiday! Which shape will you make?
Easy Double Fudge Brownie Recipe
Yield: 24-36 brownies, depending on size
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:35 minutes
These Easy Double Fudge Brownies are as easy as a box, but SO MUCH BETTER! Super rich and fudgy, they’re topped with a cooked chocolate frosting that satisfies any chocolate craving. Cut the brownies into shapes for any holiday!
- 3 cups brownie mix (see note about using a box brownie mix instead)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (do not substitute)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional, but gives a dark rich chocolate flavor)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir all the brownie ingredients together in a large bowl using a wooden spoon or spatula. Spread in prepared pan and bake 22-28 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs stuck to it. Let the brownies cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting: Whisk heavy whipping cream, sour cream, instant coffee, and vanilla in a measuring cup. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in sugar, cocoa powder, and salt, the mixture will be grainy. Slowly mix in the wet ingredients. Cook for about 2-3 minutes over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly, but don’t let it boil.
- Pour frosting over brownies and spread to coat. Let cool completely. The frosting will not harden unless you chill the brownies.
- If you want to cut shapes, use cookie cutters and cut them once the frosting is cool. Add any sprinkles or pipe on football laces using white chocolate, frosting, or Cool Whip.
- Store loosely covered on the counter, or chill to set the frosting. Will keep for up to 3 days on the counter.
You can substitute a brownie mix (the 9×13″ pan size box). If you use a box mix, use the water, eggs, and oil called for on the box, not what I have listed.
Cut any shapes you like, or make bite sized ones for a party tray!