Aug 06

Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts

Is there anything better than peanut butter for breakfast? Oh yeah, there is.

Doughnuts. Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts with chocolate glaze. That would be better.

And don’t forget the sprinkles!

Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts - easy fried doughnuts filled with peanut butter and topped with chocolate glaze!

Bridal shower games that make the bride-to-be cry should not be allowed. And, let’s face it. Those games are kind of boring anyway.

Who wants to make a toilet paper wedding dress? No thank you.

Who wants to walk around with clothespins clipped to every hem totally afraid to say a word? I mean, I don’t know about you, but when I am forbidden to say something that is all that wants to come out.

Partygoer: “What do you do for a living?”
Me: “…. LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Now here, take my damn clothespins.”

Who wants to cry at their bridal shower because they have to do a “how well do you know the groom” questionnaire and you get all the wrong answers because your bridal party gave your fiancé approximately 30 seconds to answer the questions so he answered them all wrong and then you fail and then you get teased all day about how wrong you are for each other?

Not me, for sure.

And I might be just a little bit bitter about that last one.

You know what’s fun at bridal showers? Besides the family, friends, and the silky neglige you watch your BFF open in front of her grandma?

The food.

I think doughnuts are the perfect addition to any bridal shower. Especially peanut butter cream filled doughnuts that are topped with sprinkles.

And those would be an especially good item on the menu if the bride-to-be is in love with (1) sprinkles and (2) peanut butter. Like, maybe, my friend Sally, from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Today is her virtual bridal shower!

I know that Sally would love these almost as much as we did. These doughnuts (or donuts?) blew my mind. They’re fried, which honestly, makes the doughnut, and they’re filled with peanut butter. There’s not much better than that!

I made these doughnuts the easy way using Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits. I always have a can in my refrigerator for doughnut (or monkey bread) emergencies!

These do need to be fried, but rest assured. Frying is easier than you think! You need a heavy bottomed pot (I use a Le Creuset Soup Pot), oil, and the most important thing: a candy thermometer.

Peanut Butter Filled Doughnuts (1 of 2)

Please don’t skip the thermometer, unless you’re a pro at frying. There are all sorts of tips out there for how you can tell if oil is ready, but if you’re not a pro you run the risk of (1) turning the outside of your doughnuts black or (2) hurting yourself. A thermometer is cheap and they sell them pretty much anywhere. Pick one up the next time you’re at any grocery store, drugstore, or Target.

I like to use a whole 48 ounce bottle of vegetable oil when I fry. That fills my pan up about 2″ with oil. It’s probably overkill, but it works for me. Save the bottle, and once the oil cools, pour it back in to either save for future frying or for easy disposal.

Once your oil is at 350°F, your’e ready to fry your doughnuts.

Peanut Butter Filled Doughnuts (1 of 11)

Now, if you’ve ever fried anything, you’ll know it’s hard to keep a consistent temperature. I still have trouble with that but I find that it helps to use the heavy bottomed pot (regular thin sauce pots will let the oil heat too much too fast and can burn your food). I also constantly play with the burner temperature. I start out at medium, sometimes I’ll have to turn it up a little or down a little to help regulate.

I add 2 biscuits at a time so as not to crowd my pan. Cook until they’re golden on one side, then flip and finish cooking. It takes a minute or two.

Then I remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a cookie sheet covered in paper towels to drain. Let them cool and then add the best part: the peanut butter cream filling!

The filling is made with creamy peanut butter (Skippy Naturals is my favorite brand). I gave it volume by adding Greek Yogurt and some milk, and sweetened it with powdered sugar.

I use a Wilton filling tip (#230) to fill the doughnuts. Usually I use ziploc bags for piping, but it’s much easier to use an actual piping bag with that tip. You can also use a squeeze bottle, if you have one. Just squeeze in the filling, made of peanut butter and butter and all things good.

You know you’ve added enough when you remove the tip and it spills out all over the cookie sheet. I won’t tell what you do with the extra filling if you won’t! :)

Then you dip them in a simple chocolate glaze made of cocoa and powdered sugar and milk. Note: the thicker the milk you use, the thicker the glaze. Nonfat milk will yield a thin glaze, regular milk thicker, and half and half or whipping cream will be an even thicker one. Use your favorite!

These doughnuts are chocolate + peanut butter wonderful!

But don’t forget the sprinkles. Sally sure wouldn’t!

Happy Bridal Shower Sally! My family and I wish you all the best and we’re so excited to see pictures from your wedding! You’ll be instagraming from the nuptials, right? ;)

Scroll down to see all the other bridal shower attendees today!

Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts

Easy fried doughnuts are filled with peanut butter cream filling and glazed with chocolate glaze. And don't forget the sprinkles!

Ingredients:

For the Doughnuts:

• 1 can Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Biscuits (8 biscuits)
  • Vegetable oil, for frying (I use an entire 48 ounce container)

For the Peanut Butter Filling:

• 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 4 tablespoons milk (nonfat, 2%, or regular)

For the Chocolate Glaze:

• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons milk (nonfat, 2%, or regular)
  • Sprinkles, for topping

Directions:

1. Place vegetable oil in a heavy bottom pot and heat until it reaches 350°F. I like to leave my candy thermometer in the pot during frying so I can regulate the heat up or down if it gets to hot or cold. A heavy bottomed pot is best for frying, it’s easier to regulate the heat that way than with a thinner pot. (I use a Le Cruset soup pot.) You really should use a thermometer!
  2. Drop 2-3 biscuits in your pot (depending on the size of your pot). Cook about 3 minutes until they are a deep golden, flipping halfway. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon and place the cooked donuts on a cookie sheet topped with two layers of paper towels. Let cool before filling and glazing.
  3. Make the Peanut Butter Filling: Whisk all ingredients except milk until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, whisk. The end product should be the consistency of pudding. Depending on the brand of Greek Yogurt you use, it may need up to 4 tablespoons of milk. (I used Yoplait Greek and used 4 tablespoons.)
  4. Place the filling in a pastry bag fitted with the Wilton 230 tip (or similar). (Normally I use a ziploc bag for frosting, but you really need a pastry bag for that tip. You can also use a squeeze bottle.) Press the tip into the center of each doughnut and fill. You can also turn the doughnut 90° and fill again to make sure you’re getting enough in. You’ll know you added too much when you remove the tip and it squirts out.
  5. Make the Chocolate Glaze: whisk powdered sugar, cocoa, extract, and milk in a medium bowl. If glaze is too thick to dip, you can add up to 1 tablespoon more glaze. Dip tops of the doughnuts in glaze. Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and sprinkles with sprinkles. Let dry completely, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Sally's Shower Logo

Check out all the other bridal shower attendees today:

Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake from Lauren’s Latest

Congratulations Sally!!

Easy Lemon Donut Holes

Easy Lemon Donut Holes (2 of 4)w

Triple Mocha Donuts

Mocha Donuts

Banana Caramel Pecan Doughnuts

banana-caramel-pecan-doughnuts (5 of 6)

63 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts”

1. Pingback: Frosting Filled Deep Dish Cake Batter Cookies {And a Surprise Bridal Shower for Sally!} | The Domestic Rebel

2. Pingback: Vanilla Banana Muffins - Love From The Oven

3. Kaylene @ The Links Site posted on August 6, 2014 at 2:06 am (#)

Yum, I wish we had Pillsbury products here is Australia – these look delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:53 am

I know Kaylene, I wish that too! You can use the peanut butter and glaze with any doughnut recipe!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 6, 2014 at 3:53 am (#)

Dorothy these are amazing! First the fact that they’re fried. Baked donuts, well, can never quite compete. I love that you went all out here :) And that filling!! I would like that in or on everything, please! And the glaze, the sprinkles. your photography, that cross-section shot showing the filling, what a gorgeous post!!! pinned of course

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:52 am

I kind of just wanted to squirt it in my mouth, not in the doughnuts. It was beyond good!! Thanks Averie!

5. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:03 am (#)

Dorothy, you know me too well! Peanut butter and sprinkles are the way to my heart. And my heart is pounding right now because I am just so excited to see this amazing virtual baby shower today! All of you gals are seriously the BEST and I couldn’t be luckier to have such wonderful blogging friends. Actually, you’re just all my friends anyway. Not only my blogging buds. These donuts! Heck, I could eat a plate of them right now. And I said a huge N-O to any bridal shower games at my real life shower They are always so boring. And the toilet paper dress? seriously!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:52 am

I’m so glad it’s not just me, lol. Thank you for being such a friend and an inspiration Sally! Enjoy this time – it’s one of the best ones of life! xo

6. Mir posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:12 am (#)

Awwww, how sweet! I’m a huge fan of Sally’s blog (and yours)! Love the donut recipe! Peanut butter is inspired!
    But nope, not a fan of those shower games. Just wanna eat cake and hang out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:51 am

RIGHT?? Thank goodness it’s not just me!

7. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:45 am (#)

What a fun surprise, Dorothy! I’m sure Sally is so touched to have all the sprinkle love. And these donuts are AMAZING! I am seriously in awe of the peanut butter middle. Can’t wait to try these out!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:51 am

I can’t lie – it’s the best part!

8. Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:55 am (#)

These look fantastic! I’m a sucker for anything with peanut butter!

9. Pingback: Funfetti Pudding Mix Cookies - Cooking Classy

10. Tieghan posted on August 6, 2014 at 5:41 am (#)

One, yes to real fried doughnuts! Two, coconut and peanut butter? Nothing better. And three? Happiest bridal shower to Sally, she would love these I am sure!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:51 am

Thanks Tieghan!! Fried is the best, for sure!

11. Pingback: Cake batter popcorn » I Heart Nap Time

12. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on August 6, 2014 at 6:41 am (#)

The heavy bottomed pan!! That’s where I’ve been going all wrong! Okay, good to know. And I think I need to be better about regulating the temp too. The problem is that my outside gets crisp and my inside is still goo :/ But I’m also excited to know that I can use the biscuits and fill them, because that’s what I wanna do. What good is a donut if it isn’t stuffed to the brim with deliciousness??

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:51 am

RIGHT? My thoughts exactly. And when I tested recipes for the book I fried stuff like 20 times (well, maybe 5) and the pan made a huge difference. And easing the heat up or down to keep it as close as possible to 350!

13. Carrian posted on August 6, 2014 at 7:04 am (#)

I think these might be my new favorite doughnuts!

14. Heather @ Shards of Lavender posted on August 6, 2014 at 7:19 am (#)

My first job was frying doughnuts for our local grocery store and the peanut butter filled ones were the store’s specialty. For years, I had no desire to even see a doughnut, but these bring back the craving. The crispy crust you get from frying as compared to baking can’t be beat! Love it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

That’s so true – that crunch and softness from frying cannot be beat!! Thanks Heather!

15. Christi @ Love From The Oven posted on August 6, 2014 at 7:51 am (#)

You filled a donut with peanut butter. You, my friend, are a GENIUS. My life needs this. STAT.

16. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat. posted on August 6, 2014 at 7:55 am (#)

Are you kidding me with these?!?!?!?! LOVE!!! Well, my weekend plans have been made…..I’m make these donuts!!!!

17. Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron posted on August 6, 2014 at 7:55 am (#)

I’m dying…these look amazing! Peanut Butter Cream?!

18. Alexis @ Upside Down Pear posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:20 am (#)

I need these donuts ( and maybe more importantly just the filling) right now! Oh man, I love the idea of using Pillsbury biscuits for the body of the donuts! That’s such an awesome trick. Sally’s one of my favorite food bloggers, and I’ve been enjoying all these shower recipes! I’ve never heard of the clothespin game, but it sounds dreadful. What happened to just spending time with friends, eating good food, and opening shower gifts!?!? Sounds like a much better time for all involved (the guests don’t like the games any more than the bride-to-be ;) ).

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Yes, I almost ate the filling before it went into the doughnuts, it was so good. Thanks Alexis!

19. Kate @ Diethood posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:22 am (#)

WHOA! That’s a doughnut filled with PB!! AND topped with sprinkles!!
    I heart these thiiiiiiiiis much!

20. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:25 am (#)

OMG! I have been craving donuts for days now! These look absolutely crazy good! And the filling – oh my! WANT!!

21. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:35 am (#)

Okay, these donuts are freakin’ outrageous and I need seventeen of them STAT. Reminds me of our Psycho Donuts adventure — they could take some tips from you because these look perfect and oh-so scrumptious.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Hayley!

22. marcie posted on August 6, 2014 at 9:22 am (#)

These donuts are some of the best ones I’ve ever seen, and they are perfect for a bridal shower! I love that peanut butter cream filling — amazing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Thanks Marcie!

23. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on August 6, 2014 at 9:33 am (#)

Dorothy, I’m drooling all over my keyboard. These really look amazing. I want to grab the plate of doughnuts and run for it.

24. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 6, 2014 at 9:44 am (#)

Whoa nelly! These look great!!

25. Layla @ Brunch Time Baker posted on August 6, 2014 at 10:07 am (#)

There’s no way I can pass down a donuts! YUM!!

26. Michelle @My California Kitchen posted on August 6, 2014 at 10:53 am (#)

I have been wanting to try frying up a batch of donuts for awhile now. I think these finally spurred me to action!

27. Liz @ Floating Kitchen posted on August 6, 2014 at 11:57 am (#)

You are killing me with these! Peanut Butter + Doughnut is ridiculous!!

28. Manali @ CookWithManali posted on August 6, 2014 at 12:55 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! Posting here for the first time…These doughnuts looks amazing but then anything with Peanut Butter HAS to be amazing, right? I love your blog!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Welcome Manali, and thanks!!

29. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on August 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm (#)

Aww, how fun! I can’t wait to see the photos from her wedding too! I’m sure it’ll be sprinkle-filled and colorful like these doughnuts! They look amazing! I haven’t ever fried anything but your directions make me want to try it! :)

30. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on August 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm (#)

This is the perfect recipe to celebrate with Sally! And these doughnuts are amazing enough with all the sprinkles and chocolate but with a peanut butter filling? Just perfection Dorothy! Totally loving these! Pinned :)

31. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on August 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm (#)

BAHAHAAHHA I love how you acknowledge that it is totally the groom’s fault for not knowing the answers to his favorite things. And, for the record, my hubs got my shoe size wrong! He insisted I was a 9 and my MOH tried to delicately tell him that I was, and had been since she met me, a size 7.5. :-)

And these donuts! For the love of all that is holy and pb filled!!! Sign me up! Love the sprinkles for Sally…so sweet!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

EXACTLY. Thanks Lindsey!

32. Laurie F. posted on August 6, 2014 at 5:42 pm (#)

Lol – those games are worse than boring! The donuts look great! Best wishes to Sally – she looks really sweet in her photo. btw, the Instagram photos of Jordan on this blog page really show her sense of style and color.

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 6th, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Yes, her sense of style is unparalleled!! Thanks Laurie!

33. Thalia @ butter and brioche posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:03 pm (#)

i am so craving a doughnut right now! i die for peanut butter… so this recipe is definitely up my alley!

34. Jessica @ Sweet Menu posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:39 pm (#)

Oh my! There is peanut butter inside?? These look INCREDIBLE! I would pick this one if it were in a donut shop window for sure!

35. Jaclyn posted on August 6, 2014 at 8:40 pm (#)

My husband would go crazy for these doughnuts, two of his favorite things! The look completely irresistible!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 7th, 2014 at 6:59 am

Thanks Jaclyn!

36. Samina | The Cupcake Confession posted on August 6, 2014 at 9:12 pm (#)

I’m thinking of making an extra batch of that peanut butter cream filling just so I can eat it by the spoonful!!!! These doughnuts look INCREDIBLYYYYYY delish! <3

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 7th, 2014 at 6:59 am

Yes. Do that. :)

37. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on August 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm (#)

Oh wow! My mouth is seriously watering!! Doesn’t get much better than a peanut butter filled donut!!

38. Pingback: Confetti Cookie Milkshake | Bake Your Day

39. Cassie posted on August 8, 2014 at 8:09 am (#)

Dorothy, these are so fun! I love the PB cream!

40. carrian posted on August 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm (#)

I just love peanut butter, but put it in a doughnut with sprinkles? Oh, heck yes!

41. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on August 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm (#)

eeeeep!!! I hope none of those things happen at any of my bridal showers (I’m having at least 3….yepp lol)

I’m so excited for Sally and love that you guys all threw her this virtual shower!! These donuts look absolutely amazing-whenever pb and chocolate are involved I am a happy camper!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2014 at 6:11 pm

How fun! I had two. The work one had way less tears. :)

42. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on August 10, 2014 at 11:45 pm (#)

These doughnuts look amazing Dorothy! And omg, peanut butter filling?? Heck yes, pinned! Love all the pretty sprinkles for Sally…so sweet and the perfect recipe for her bridal shower :)

43. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Maple Glaze - Crazy for Crust

44. Kathleen R. posted on August 13, 2014 at 5:33 pm (#)

I’m drooling! These look so yummy!

45. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on August 18, 2014 at 5:52 pm (#)

These donuts look amazing! Even better than the ones at Psycho Donuts last month. Seriously… PB inside of donuts? Instead of just drizzled on top? AND chocolate & sprinkles? Seriously dying for a bite over here! (And a trip back to Psycho’s too…)

46. Pingback: Funfetti Sugar Cookie Cups with Vanilla Frosting - Crunchy Creamy Sweet